Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 60,201 to 60,220 of 70,008

Ralizah

My backlog is largely what keeps me from investing in GP. Why invest in that when I have 100+ games across all of my platforms sitting around unplayed?

With subscription services, I have to play games when they're available, but I like having access to them and playing them whenever.

It is a good value, though. Once I work down my backlog of games, I could see myself just sitting pretty with a GP subscription for years. If nothing else, I'll probably sub whenever I'm able to get around to playing Starfield (dunno if it'll run OK on my increasingly old GPU).

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
All subs are bound to increase price eventually, but I'm not worried about Gamepass atm

You can bank up to 3 years, and if you're not currently subscribed, you can buy 3 years Xbox Live Gold on Amazon for $55/yr ($165 total), redeem it, and then subscribe to Gamepass using the $1 for first month offer and it upconverts your Gold membership to Gamepass.

So... you can get 3 full years for $166 right now. And that covers your online access too (obviously). And not have to worry about it again until 2025.

But even at $15/mo, it's a good price. The cost of 3 $60 games per year gives you access to 400+ titles, with different 3rd party on rotation. I think it will eventually be $20/mo, but right now they're trying to gain subscribers, so I don't expect such an increase until they've hit around 50m subs, and even then, they make keep it at $15 and just play the numbers game.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

kkslider5552000

Ralizah wrote:

My backlog is largely what keeps me from investing in GP. Why invest in that when I have 100+ games across all of my platforms sitting around unplayed?

Yeah between the year I spent getting free games on Epic, cheap used games and quality sales, I don't need more games.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

JaxonH

That was my rationale for a long time. But the fact is I still buy new games all the time. And if there's a way to try a bunch of games first, and curate that list of purchases, and try a bunch of games I may not have committed to buying but am interested in trying if I have access, that seems like a reasonable proposition to me... for the price, anyways.

If it was $50/mo then I'd say screw that. But at less than $55/yr? Shoot, why not. Even with hundreds of games in backlog, it's so cheap there's really no reason not to. I had Psychonauts 2 on my Steam wishlist. But now I'll probably just play on Gamepass. It Takes Two is a game I wouldn't buy, but since it's on Gamepass, I can play it with my brother. The Ascent was a game I heard great things about. Same for A Plague Tale: Innocence and The Medium and Greedfall. Now I can try them all out. I can play Windjammers 2 while I wait for the LRG Switch release. And for games I own on Steam that don't need gyro, like Batman Arkham Knight and Nier Automata and Gears Tactics, I can more easily play them on Series X now with quick resume and turning TV on automatically, rather than the much more involved process of playing on PC. And games like Pillars of Eternity 2, which don't have good controller support on Steam, I can now play better on Xbox. And Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't yet on Steam so it's good having access to that. Can try Rainbow Six Extraction which just released and see if its worth a buy on Steam later.

So I guess it's not really about "need" for me. It's more about "want".

Also, having access to cloud versions of every game on Gamepass is something I didn't realize would be so useful. A lot of games have very large file sizes. Rather than commit to download, it's so easy to just select the cloud icon instead and immediately try the game out first before downloading, just to get a feel for whether it's a game I want to bother playing in the first place. Being able to do the same on my phone in a controller grip is even cooler.

The biggest downside is no gyro on Xbox. So shooters are pretty much a no-go across the board. Fine for trying out and sampling to decide whether to buy on Steam, but not for actually playing through. So Halo, Gears of War, Doom, Wolfenstein, Outer Worlds, etc are pretty much Steam and/or Switch only.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Eel

I basically only get Game Pass when the 1-dollar trial becomes available again

Last time I only used it try Forza Horizon 5 a bit. Hah it took longer to download than what I spent playing it.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Ralizah

@kkslider5552000 I feel like, for normal people, this is a no-brainer. But for me, someone who has spent years wastefully buying games on sale and then not playing/finishing them, I've accrued my own personal GP. Besides, with GP, you inevitably have a bunch of stuff you don't want, and unless it's first-party, you don't know when it'll disappear from the service until a couple of weeks beforehand (although, at the rate Microsoft is gobbling up the rest of the industry, that might not be much of a problem in a few years!).

I do sub to PS+, but those games are accessible as long as I'm a subscriber if I redeem them, so, in a sunk cost fallacy sorta way, it feels more worth the money to me.

I'm sure I'll get lured into the GP honeypot either way. Maybe after Starfield releases, if that doesn't just turn out to be vaporware.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

IceClimbers

I think Game Pass is easily the best value in gaming right now, but as someone that also has a huge backlog on Switch, I have more than enough to play as it is.

The value for Game Pass will become even more pronounced as Microsoft's acquisitions actually start to bare fruit over the next few years though. We haven't really seen much come out of those yet beyond better budgets for Forza Horizon and Psychonauts 2.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Fizza

Anyone here have a rough idea about when the Legends Arceus reviews will be going up across the publication sites like IGN, Eurogamer and, of course, NLife? I'm trying to not be swayed by any reviews/previews so if anyone could give me a rough idea on when to 'tab out' so to speak, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

MsJubilee

@Fizza If you don't know already. Wednesday

Edited on by MsJubilee

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Fizza

@MsJubilee Thank you! I'll see you all later then!

Grumblevolcano

3 days away from Legends Arceus launch and its already #1 in the UK eshop charts, may have obtained #1 earlier given I didn't use my Switch much the past few days so I didn't check the eshop.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jump

@Fizza So are you staying away from this site as you're worried about spoilers in the game? Yeah, that's smart as ever since I found out the player is actually Arceus' child my excitement for the game has been ruined.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Fizza

@jump I hate that I'm not even sure whether or not that's a spoiler. Based on your previous lovable sarcasm, I'm going to assume no.

Edited on by Fizza

jump

@Fizza Well it's kinda helpful to be told beforehand so you can choose a suitable name for the avatar. Since Arceus is the God pokemon I'm gonna call mine a famous demigod like Hercules or Gilgamesh.

I'm joking though but...
maybe I'm just saying that so it unspoils the game for you. ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Fizza

@jump Thank you. I'm not going to look at that spoiler tag, but I appreciate you letting me know that it's a fake spoiler. I'm just going to go the generic route and call them Rei, the male protags name, and see what happens myself. I'm actually going to jet away there now rather than later because you never know when someone will just waltz in here with an actual spoiler (don't get any ideas people). See you around!

EDIT: I JUST REALIZED THAT WAS A JESUS JOKE, HOW WAS I SO STUPID.

Edited on by Fizza

TommyTendo

When will they make a Pokémon game with a fully customizable character? Like, you can choose to be 80 years old if you want to

rallydefault

Is it true that GamePass lets you play Halo Infinite's campaign but not all of it? My friend said that to me today and I thought it sounded really icky.

rallydefault

FragRed

@rallydefault No that’s not true. The whole idea of Game Pass, is that everything Microsoft publishes is available day one in it’s entirety.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

@rallydefault The full existing campaign is playable via Game Pass, it's possible that there are campaign expansions in the future that aren't part of Game Pass though (could go either way, Forza's expansions aren't part of Game Pass meanwhile Gears 5 Hivebusters is).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic