Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 60,201 to 60,220 of 60,944

gcunit

skywake wrote:

I'm kinda suprised at the price of the controllers. For some reason I was expecting them to be much closer to the price of the Pro Controller. Somehow $70AU seems fairly reasonable in comparison. Outside of wired and stick-less controllers that's probably cheaper than any other controller on Switch. I wasn't going to pick one up but at that price.... I might....

Already sold out in the UK store. Significantly more expensive than the SNES and NES controllers, but if someone ever decides to sell an N64 adapter for them then I will hunt some down.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

NintendoByNature

The question is, what feels more egregious, the pricing of NSO expansion pak, or the kingdom heart cloud releases? Quite frankly, I think both suck pretty bad.

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

Took a breather from Dread on the OLED (too much excitement for me, gotta ration it out) to check out Crysis 3 Remastered.

Now.

I was not impressed with the first Crysis. The gyro sensitivity sucked, the game felt dated to control, it just wasn’t very fun.

However. Right off the bat, the gyro in Crysis 3 Remastered is on point. They got it right this time. And the game feels better overall- probably the result of being a newer, more refined game than the first. While I haven’t played enough to give a firm recommendation one way or the other, I can at the very least say my initial impressions are good.

Oh, and I ordered the N64 and Genesis controllers. Those were non-negotiable. I love having official USB-C wireless controllers of retro systems to use. And this N64 controller has rumble built in. It’s gonna make Mario Kart 64 and F-Zero X and Sin and Punishment feel so authentic.

@NintendoByNature
They’re both egregious. And both will learn that in the course of due time with marginal increase in net revenue for expansion pass, and low sales for the cloud version.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Shin Megami Tensei V, MH Rise
3DS:
Steam: Forza Horizon 5
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise Sunbreak, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, Zelda BotW 2, Metroid Prime 4

Jesus is Lord.

skywake

I preordered the N64 controller for myself and some Series 5 Amiibo cards as a gift. And because it was enough to tip over the free shipping threshold I added some My Nintendo rewards to the cart. I had 600 platinum coins which was enough for the Yoshi canvas pouch and pens

Some Aussie musics: Pond, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

I wanted those holographic Metroid posters but I just spent 800 platinum coins on the Zelda Skyward Sword HD art frame. Provably take me 2 yrs to get enough coins again to get the posters. They’ll be long gone by then.

PLAYING
3DS:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise Sunbreak, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, Zelda BotW 2, Metroid Prime 4

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

Oh. My. Goodness. This here… this is mind blowing! Get this.

The Switch OLED, on MAXIMUM BRIGHTNESS + Wifi, playing Zelda Breath of the Wild, a full AAA game, not some garage indie, gets 5 Hrs 20 Min compared to the v2 Switch which gets 4 Hrs 15 Min. That’s over 1 HOUR extra playtime on max settings. Let this sink in. The BARE MINIMUM PLAYTIME for a AAA GAME on MAX BRIGHTNESS is OVER 5.25 hrs! You can crank that screen and not worry about a thing! No need to dim brightness and salvage battery… OLED is having none of that. OLED wants you to enjoy your games in full capacity.

Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
3DS:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH I'm not normally one to hope for a cruddy outcome, but in both of those cases, I wouldn't be surprised and I may even find a little enjoyment in seeing them fail a little. Not bc I don't want the content, bc I do, but both are just absurd. And therefore, I'm hoping enough people don't buy it To make a change.

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

@NintendoByNature
Ya, I kinda feel the same. I think a lot of ppl are going to look at joining a family plan now to save $. Which at the end of the day, results in little to no additional revenue for Nintendo. So it’s a great solution, as it offers us an entry point while not paying a single extra penny (and often even paying less) and ensures Nintendo doesn’t see a massive revenue spike for the Expansion,

PLAYING
3DS:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH totally. I already have a family plan with my daughter and I may ask my work buddy to join. Not sure yet. But even then I'm still looking at 40 for me

NintendoByNature

MsJubilee

NintendoByNature wrote:

The question is, what feels more egregious, the pricing of NSO expansion pak, or the kingdom heart cloud releases? Quite frankly, I think both suck pretty bad.

Nintendo is abusing their fan's trust. So I'm going to say this expansion pack is the worse of the two. SQ was lazy, nothing more.

I don't enjoy suffering alone. However, I don't mind making others suffer alone.

Playing through Batman Arkham City, inFAMOUS Second Son, and Jenny LeCLue

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Haruki_NLI

I'm not so sure Nintendo expects any additional revenue. If that was the case, why offer a Family Plan at any stage? That just has them lose money.

Why keep handing out Free Trials to the service semi regularly? Why give the stuff away with games like Overwatch and Tetris 99?

Genuinely this feels like Nintendo just shutting investors up (wouldn't be the first time mind) and also shutting the Twitter patrol up who want more.

People needed to understand that adding more games, especially games already on sale on Switch, that deal would need to be pretty sweet. But that's what people wanted.

Heck, people wanted more stuff in general. So now Game Trials are monthly, that costs money, adding DLC into the service will have cost factored in.

People wanted Nintendo to do more. The price has to go up. The same will happen to Game Pass one day.

I mean let's be real. What actually sane company says "Let's allow 8 people on the service for the price of 2".

That's 6 people getting in for basically free. If this was any other company there'd be a lot of "Oh Hell Naw" in those offices.

Again, I don't think Nintendo really cares that much. Investors bugged em to charge for online, they do so, people want more games, more features, the price does need to go up eventually.

Of course, the online could be better. In my personal experience the service is fine. I can play many online games with people from around the world at once, here in the UK, Scotland, freaking North Carolina, California and Hong Kong all in one game. And it runs absolutely buttery smooth.

But when my mate with crap internet from Ireland pops in. It all goes to hell. Lag, pausing, stutters, the works.

Almost like the actual problem is on the global infrastructure.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

skywake

Haruki_NLI wrote:

I mean let's be real. What actually sane company says "Let's allow 8 people on the service for the price of 2". That's 6 people getting in for basically free. If this was any other company there'd be a lot of "Oh Hell Naw" in those offices.

Judging by how most subscription services actually run, most of them actually. Just look at all of the video streaming apps, how many of them acknowledge account sharing by having distinct profiles? Hell Netflix literally has different tiers for allowing more screens at once

Also, I think some people don't realise is that there's more to revenue than just the price. Ok so this NSO+ right now seems kinda average but lets say they expand it to include more first party DLC. Possibly even all first party DLC. And you might ask what sane company would move to a model where they're not charging at point of sale for DLC. Well, one that recognises the cost of risk. Which is all of them

Think about it, you're Nintendo and you allocate development time post release to games. At a point where potentially you're not entirely sure how well the title will continue to sell or how long the game will hold people's attention. You're targeting a platform within a platform. What proportion of those people who have the game at that point, are still engaged with it AND know about the DLC will pay up? Unknowns on unknowns

But lets say NSO+ comes out and is an alternate way for people to access this content. Well now all of a sudden Nintendo knows with confidence how much money is coming in for this DLC up front. They can use that to pay for ongoing development of potentially more commercially risky projects. There's also the added benefit now where the DLC, being "free", will push people who skipped the game but have NSO+ to pick up the game. And that incentive still exists even for people leaching at the tail end of a Family Membership

Haruki_NLI

@skywake Indeed. If it was as black and white as people make it out to be, the old "greedy Nintendo" argument, then yeah, Nintendo is frankly out of their minds giving this good of a deal. The investors would be having a fit.

Bit we know it's not that simple.

It's like the argument that Bayonetta 3 likely won't make a profit, that's acting like the 30m sales of Animal Crossing exclusively get funded into the next Animal Crossing. They don't.

Extra money is mobile. Poorer performing products can be subsidized by high performers. It's a strong business model.

Not every game needs to be a multi million seller. That's where some companies falter.

That's what NSO is. An extra revenue stream and yeah lots of that fee is to cover the absolute mountain of licensing for third parties.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

@Eel
We got another one. My brother wants to join, and sent me his email. I'm going to email it to you now so you can send the invite.

PLAYING
3DS:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Eel

@JaxonH ah! Great. I’ve sent him the invite. The group is full now!

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

JaxonH

I'm seriously blown away by how good Metroid Dread is. The further I get, the better it gets, the more I love it.

This is up there with Zelda BotW and Monster Hunter Rise for me. And it's coming dangerously close to Metroid Prime 2, my definitive favorite game ever. I'm still not sure a 2D Metroid can top that, but even if it doesn't, it's at least within a stone's throw.

It's everything I ever wanted from a Metroid game in HD. At least on the 2D side, anyways.

I need more. I really do. I'm not even done with the game and I'm already starting to feel separation anxiety knowing it can't go on for too much longer.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
3DS:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Giancarlothomaz

@JaxonH so you saying Metroid Dread could surpass Super Metroid? soon i gonna play this amazing game in my extended battery Switch.

i like HD Rumble.

skywake

@JaxonH
I'm almost at the end myself now and I definitely don't want it to finish. At this stage I'll probably play some Super Metroid once I'm done

StuTwo

IceClimbers wrote:

@FragRed Agreed. They should have filled in the major missing SNES games (cough Earthbound cough) and then added GB/GBC and GBA games at the minimum.

I do kind of wonder if the absence of Earthbound is for a particular reason. A "Link's Awakening" or Advance Wars style remake for example - or a compilation package of all 3 games.

Nintendo knows that - as niche gaming brands go - Earthbound is rock solid but it's also not a series that really has any natural point for sequels (that would be in anything other than name).

Likewise it seems obvious now in hindsight that the Mario 3d All Stars collection being time limited was - in part - to clear the decks ahead of N64 games coming to NSO.

In terms of the price - which everyone else has discussed - I don't know why anyone is feigning surprise. Nintendo very rarely prices their games low - even old ones. If they signalled that 20 N64 games were worth about £10 a year then how do they sell new games that are about as long and no more content rich? It's one thing to flood loads of NES games (that last about an hour if you save scum) into your ecosystem but games like Ocarina of Time and DK 64 (though I care not for it) are huge, possibly over-developed, time sinks that last at least a dozen hours however you play them - such games create major competition for new games (whether first party or not). Like I've never played Kirby 64 or Star Allies and I'm sure that Star Allies is vastly better looking but do I really need to buy Star Allies if I've never played Kirby 64 and that's "free"?

One big long term question is whether it makes sense for Nintendo to come to more substantial arrangements with Konami and Capcom for their back catalogues (possibly purchasing them outright if that were a possibility).

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic