Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 60,161 to 60,180 of 70,011

Fizza

@TommyTendo Thanks goodness!

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Extreme-G (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Ryu_Niiyama

Just saw an OLED model in store and that was really nice. I’m tempted but I think I will put a new shell on my OG instead.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

JaxonH

Life Is Strange True Colors went completely under the radar. It's genre and lack of physical release and no prior history on Nintendo platforms probably all contributed. Despire being excellent.

I imagine they don't want to trounce on the physical release which drops next month. Better to hold off and get whatever sales they can from that first, then bring the collection. Which... I'm OK with. No rush. We've got plenty of other games in the meantime.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Magician

@Grumblevolcano

I'll be keen to grab a copy once it reaches $15-$20. $60? Oh hell no.

I try to avoid paying full price for trash whenever possible.
Untitled

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Ralizah

I assume the trilogy is still a trainwreck on Switch?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NintendoByNature

I REALLY want it, but yea, cruddy release makes me want to wait for a steep discount.

NintendoByNature

Ralizah

Analysts are projecting Switch sells 20+ million units again next year, which seems like a fairly safe bet.

It might be childish of me, but after the massive amount of trolling we saw online when the system was announced, I hope Nintendo drags this gen out a few more years. Release a more powerful Switch revision and seize the best-selling console record from the PS2.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

StuTwo

Ralizah wrote:

Analysts are projecting Switch sells 20+ million units again next year, which seems like a fairly safe bet.

It might be childish of me, but after the massive amount of trolling we saw online when the system was announced, I hope Nintendo drags this gen out a few more years. Release a more powerful Switch revision and seize the best-selling console record from the PS2.

It did seem like every month one more troll would quietly drop off the Switch sales article comments.

Nintendo did a fantastic marketing job with early era Switch. It's really a case study in how to do almost everything right. Even the decisions that had some people on these boards spitting feathers at the time.

Ironically I think marketing-wise they've slipped a little since though - the games selection isn't pitching itself to all segments quite as strongly and the messaging has become weaker. We've seen some "Wii-style" adverts for some games but not all (and not backed up by the big nostalgia hit of giving Switch a port of "Wii Sports"), huge monster hits have been allowed to wither a little a year after launch (particularly thinking of Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2 and Animal Crossing) and I think the delays to Bayonnetta 3, BoTW 2 and Metroid Prime 4 mean that those games won't hit at the console's high water mark.

I worry (a little) that the audience for "core gamer" games like that might have moved on to the PS5 and XBox Series before those games eventually arrive or that - like Skyward Sword on Wii - that they get compared to contempary games on other consoles that look and run better and they will be slightly underwhelming sales-wise. Ultimately this is the sort of thing that might affect how people look back on the legacy of the Switch long term.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

rallydefault

Anybody who is into platformers definitely needs to check out Kaze and the Wild Masks.

Tight platforming, VERY much a spiritual love letter to DKC games, right down to level designs, enemies, and the roll-off-platforms-and-then-jump mechanics. I like that it sticks with solid core mechanics and doesn't try to constantly layer new abilities on you - it stays pretty classic and uncluttered. (Some may not like that, though.)

It is one of those pixelated indies, which I've pretty much had enough of that style, but the gameplay is rock solid and such a comfort game. Challenge is medium, I would say. Most of the regular levels a seasoned player can one-shot while getting everything, but some bonus rooms are cleverly hidden, and the bonus stages (on the actual world screens) can provide some nice challenge.

And it's available on physical!

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Fizza

@StuTwo The trolls were the embodiement of this image:
Untitled

Edited on by Fizza

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Extreme-G (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

JaxonH

Gatorboi was the worst, oh my gosh.

I swear that dude was paid salary by a competing platform to troll and sway public opinion against Switch as much as possible, knowing ppl like backing a winning horse. That or they were just the most immature, childish person I've ever seen. And they weren't the only one, but they were the one I remember most consistently.

at launch
"You Nintendo fans just suck on the spigot of manure Nintendo feeds you, always trash games on trash systems with trash fanboys defending it. This flop of a system won't even hit Wii U numbers, just watch"

12 months in
"What an epic fail this console is. Nothing but trash ports and shovelware you idiots eat up because it has the Nintendo name on it. As soon as the loyalist fanboys dry up this system will crash and burn. I predict lifetime sales 30m tops"

24 months in
[Crickets...]

That's not even making mention of the embarrassment seen over at PushSqare. Not so much insulting fans, but the sentiment of, "trash system, worst idea for a console in history, will flop worse than Wii U, it's the countdown to Mario on PS boys! But Vita was the GOAT btw" was pretty much unanimous among anyone that didn't also frequent this site.

Idk what it is about Nintendo that instills such vehement hatred in ppl. I don't think I've ever seen reactions like that, even in the PS/Xbox console war.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

FragRed

@JaxonH I get the feeling a lot of these people on Push Square were incredibly angry that Nintendo hadn’t gone third party yet and were trying to spread doom and gloom in the hopes it would make it happen. Sega going third party I’ve been told is when this all started. Of course there’s massive differences between how and why they had to go third party.

Even now I’ve seen real hatred for Nintendo like when the Switch sales surpass a PlayStation console’s lifetime sales. The goal posts suddenly move or it shouldn’t count because the Switch isn’t a console. It’s incredible.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

rallydefault

I want to say I dread Nintendo going third-party (not saying it will ever happen, just the possibility), but I don't even really know what that would look like for the games industry.

On the positive, I guess they would be able to focus ALL of their energy on game development, so maybe the games would be better? But on the other hand, we could probably wave goodbye to a quality handheld option for quite some time. Probably wouldn't get any more quirky stuff like LABO, RingFit, etc.

I just don't know. Like many industries, the games industry is facing a decade of incredible change. What's going to happen with VR and augmented reality? Cloud gaming? Valve's continuing efforts at hardware? The continued growth/acceptance of GamePass and Sony's upcoming similar service?

All just speculation. I think Nintendo is in an awesome spot with the hybrid hardware. I would like to see a true DS-style handheld at some point, though; bring back the two-screen handheld gaming that was so incredible. Sometimes I think all the tech overload will soon push people back to more simple architectures and times. It's happened throughout history, but we will see.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

FragRed

@rallydefault @Link-Hero I think the biggest unknown is what impact subscription services will have on the industry. I don’t live in the US but I remember vividly when Netflix started to really make headway with their subscription service and how everyone was saying they can’t wait to ditch the multitude of channels they pay for in favour of the subscription service Netflix offered. Now everyone has a subscription service and the costs are probably pushing that of having all them channels subscribed to.

When you buy into a console, assuming you don’t sell it, you are in that ecosystem for the generation. Streaming subscription services is going to be very difficult to keep people in their ecosystem when everyone eventually goes that route. Though maybe Nintendo won’t and will just make you pay per game still, kinda like Stadia. But I think Sony is definitely going to go the subscription direction.

I dunno maybe I’m totally wrong. I’m just shooting thoughts from my head. I should be paid to say these things like an analyst.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

BruceCM

Well, there's no indication that MS is going to stop selling games as well as putting them on GamePass, @FragRed .... Also, games don't stay on that forever! So, if Sony did something similar, that still wouldn't mean they stop letting people buy as many games as they want as well
Just like Netflix hasn't really got rid of all other ways to watch TV or films & isn't looking likely to do so

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic