Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 59,801 to 59,820 of 69,997

Pizzamorg

It’ll be interesting to see if Switch still sits as the king when all the supply issues are resolved. I wonder how much of Switch’s dominance is because people just can’t seem to find PS5/Series Xs.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

BruceCM

Um, when exactly are you expecting the supply issues to end, @Pizzamorg ....? Chip shortages are forecast to continue some way into next year at least! The other reason Switch sales should eventually drop off is going to be because everyone has 1, lol

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Pizzamorg

They said they would potentially feel it for the next few years, but my understanding is massive amounts of money has been pumped into trying to expand the supply chains for more resource, so who knows. Especially in this COVID world, everything is up in the air.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

jedgamesguy

Obviously there'll be a concern that supply chains'll become too large when COVID eventually subsides. Wonder if that's even an issue.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Ralizah

@Pizzamorg PS5/Series consoles have a lot more pent-up demand. Switch will probably continue to sell well, but once the chip shortage is over and everything is freely purchasable in stores and on the internet, I'd be shocked to see Switch still trouncing the competition. Of course, by then, Nintendo will be readying their next-gen device anyway.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

BruceCM

Yeah, I'm sure they want to do whatever they can to get consoles out to buyers, @Pizzamorg .... No, by then, there won't be anyone left to buy a Switch, @Ralizah!

SW-4357-9287-0699

Ralizah

@BruceCM Expecting an extinction-level event in the new three years, are we?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

BruceCM

Yeah, the way Switch has been selling, they'll be running out of anyone who hasn't got 1, @Ralizah .... I certainly don't think Nintendo are concerned about that just yet, though I just don't think there's that many people buying a Switch if they really want either a PS5 or Series console instead

SW-4357-9287-0699

IceClimbers

The fact that PS4 + XB1 + Wii U sold more in November 2014 than PS5 + XBSX/S + Switch did this November just shows how bad the shortages are.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

JaxonH

Switch is still on track for 24m sold this FY, which is notably higher than the best year PS4 ever had, so I'd wager Switch would be on top regardless (especially since they themselves are also held back by shortages and were on track for several million more until they had to revise the forecast). At least for the time being.

Things are constantly in flux, changing, and eventually Switch demand will start dropping as the generation cycles down. But they're doing some straight DS numbers atm.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

rallydefault

@AegisPrime
I mostly agree, but I do still want a PS5 whenever stock is readily available. I do like a lot of Sony's exclusives, and they tend to get some of the Final Fantasy stuff exclusive or timed exclusive.

rallydefault

JaxonH

It's the best thing that's happened to us in a long time.

Before Switch, there really wasn't any reason to buy 3rd party games on a Nintendo platform. Wii U did offer some cool gamepad integration in games like Splinter Cell Blacklist, Mass Effect 3 and Batman Arkham City, and Call of Duty Black Ops 2 had Wiimote integration, but it didn't get more than a handful of games. But that was never a huge selling point over graphics and performance.

So for many years, I was a split gamer across Wii U/3DS and PS4. Nintendo was just a small community of people like us who were into their games.

But Switch has changed everything. The system finally gave us reason to prefer playing games on Nintendo platforms, not only due to hybrid advantage, but also gyro aiming and, multiple controller options which is very underrated. Unfortunately, Nintendo being irrelevant for so long meant those games werent coming. I remember companies saying, "if it ever breaks 100m sold, then we'll take a look at it". Felt impossible at the time. Ppl were regularly dooming the system. Pushsquare members laughed and mocked the reveal, claiming it was, "the worst idea for a console in the history of gaming and would certainly flop worse than Wii U and be the death of Nintendo, because they just don't get it". Trolls on NintendoLife would repeatedly tell us, despite its first year success, it was a fluke and demand would fall off a cliff soon after, and the Switch would never break 30m sold.

Its massive success has changed all of that. Had Switch failed, hybrid gaming would have died off, gyro aiming would have never caught on, Steam Deck wouldn't have been announced, and half the games Nintendo is releasing today wouldn't even exist.

We needed this so badly. Nintendo needed it too, no doubt. But as gamers, we needed it. Nintendo is the only one that dares to do something different. If they failed with Switch, like so many hoped they would, we'd have been trapped in HD twin purgatory for decades to come.

But best of all, it's success has solidified hybrid gaming as a permanent niche, and will allow Nintendo to focus on iteration rather than revolution moving forward. They've been searching for their niche for decades, and that led to constantly reinventing the wheel. As we've already witnessed with the OLED, Nintendo is starting to settle into this new market and embrace higher quality tech to offer a better gaming experience. And I fully expect Switch 2 to make a sizable jump in power.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon Thoughts

I don't like it. Sorry, I find this game horrible, just as bad as Cadence of Hyrule. It's brutally difficult, the skills you buy aren't permanent, and you can't change the rogue like mode back to puzzle mode after its been set. Can't believe this game reviewed so well.

I love Shovel Knight, but this is not good. It's frustrating as heck. Died 4 times on the first stage, finally beat it, and died so many times on the next stage I finally gave up. The fact there's no permanent progression to help you overcome as you keep dying just kills it for me. I thought all the skills I was buying was stacking. Turns out, nope. Just one active skill at a time, they just swap out when you buy a new one, and you permanently lose the old one.

I regret buying this game.

Edited on by JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

Wow, Square Enix is releasing 2 Switch exclusives less than a week apart. We knew about Triangle Strategy on March 4th but now Chocobo GP is launching March 10th.

I think it's safe to assume the next 1st party game after Pokemon Legends Arceus will be in April at the earliest. I doubt Nintendo would want to burn bridges with Square Enix again.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Solaine

So, i have now finished Gnosia and like to share my thoughts on that game.
It was a really interesting little visual novel with great Characters and a compelling story that gets revealed bits by bits over time, making the ending feel really satisfying to me now that i am at the end(also restarting the game again to get the true ending).
But i felt that the endgame, speaking the last few hours had dragged really badly in the gameplay department. The social deduction part was fun as mechanics still got added to the game and there is a certain amount of depth to it, but once you realize it is just heavily based on RNG it takes the fun out of the game. Furthermore, it is a real chore to search for the right character to focus in a loop even with the event search mechanism.
Game really could have been shorter and more lenient in its events and it would have been far better. 80 loops would have been more than enough for me, but i ended up with 118 in the end.
That said, it is still a fine game just with clear issues. Did anybody else here play the game and felt similar? I didn't want to post into the old Gnosia thread

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

Buizel

@Grumblevolcano Looks great. With so much lined up in 2022 it's been easy to forget about this title. But even with the abundance of kart racers on the system I've still got my eye on this. Nice to see characters like Steiner are playable - I just hope the courses do a good job at representing the series as a whole.

Although I have to mention how suspiciously similar one of those courses looks to Mario Kart's Electrodome / Rainbow Road, as well as how some of the UI elements look very similar to MK8's...

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Magician

Just got my Xmas gift to myself from Japan yesterday. I fired up eBaseball Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2021 to play a couple exhibition games and was pleased with what I played. The gameplay is very similar to Acclaim's All-Star Baseball series back on the N64. Nice player animations, a decent framerate, pitching and hitting feel good, etc. Although since I don't read a lick of Japanese, I'll have to use my phone to navigate the game's menus.

I need to find the difficulty options, I won both games by a landslide, 47-3 and 56-6.

Which...just aren't typical baseball scores, if you're familiar with the sport.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic