Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 59,781 to 59,800 of 60,221

Anti-Matter

There are some Switch games I have to pick first but I can start to buy Switch games again in November 2021 as I have to pick rare Gamecube games and PS4 games first for next my purchase in October 2021.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

DarthNocturnal

@Ryu_Niiyama

Eh, didn't feel like getting it out. It's not bad, but I'm not really in a hurry to replay it. I'd be down for a remake somewhere down the line, though. Maybe redone as a 2.5D game. They could keep the melee combat, ditch odd item unlocks (yes, let's authorise Varia Suit after we traverse the volcanic area!), etc.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
I have original Metroid II in color on my New 3DS and played the first half hour or so. But after that I felt there was no point with Samus Returns as an alternative. Just wanted to get a feel for it out of curiosity.

Fusion and Zero Mission hold up incredibly well. From what I played of Federation Force, which was several hours, it wasn't a bad game by any means. It just wasn't really a Metroid game. And the 3DS did it no favors with that art style. If it had looked more like the original Prime and had released on Switch, I think people would have liked it (provided it released after Dread, and not before).

I recommend the magnetic flip case for the Lite. Makes it so you can slide in your back pocket. May find you actually use it if it's pocketable.

It will be nice to have Metroid on the TV. I'm just glad it's on Switch so it's on the TV, handheld and tabletop. If it were TV only I'd long for handheld, and if it were handheld only I'd long for TV lol.

@Ryu_Niiyama
Ya know, I used to hate FPS myself. Mostly because aiming with a right analog sucks and I'm not very good at it. I then played Black Ops 2 campaign on Wii U with a Wiimote and had a blast. Then Splatoon came along, and it confirmed for me that it is possible to be reasonably good at aiming if given the right control scheme. Since then I've gone on to play Doom, Doom Eternal, Wolfenstein New Order, Wolfenstein 2, Borderlands 1, 2, Pre-Sequel and 3, Titanfall 2, Dying Light, Halo MCC and many others, and as long as I have my gyro, and as long as I'm playing single player campaign on an easy difficulty, I tend to enjoy them quite a bit. Not my favorite genre but, it is one that provides quick pick up and play action that no other genre really provides. Doom Eternal on Switch Lite with Gyro is soooo much fun (hence why I'm excited for Dying Light). I truly believe any person can enjoy any genre, it's just a matter of finding the right game to get them into it (and, in some cases, the right control scheme).

Metroid is very special. I first got into the series watching my brother play Metroid Prime all day every day, from start to completion. 8-10 hr days. I was so engrossed I went out and bought a $99 silver GameCube with Metroid Prime 2. I played the crap out of that game. From sun up to sun down. I was having dreams about the Ing I was playing so much. I LOVED that game.

In hindsight it did have a lot of backtracking, but at the time I had nothing else to do but loaf around, veg out and play video games. So it never bothered me. On the contrary, I was so thoroughly engrossed in the world and unraveling the mystery of the labyrinth like map, I would make mental notes of where certain barriers were I couldn't get through, then I'd come back to them 10 hrs later once I had the right ability. I reveled in the backtracking. It was what made the game so engrossing and addictive.

I don't expect Dread to have nearly as much. Games have modernized since then and fast travel takes a lot of the legwork out of it. But there will still be some. That's just part of the formula. Like a rat in a maze, forever sniffing out passages a little further out, getting a new ability, then backtracking to the areas you couldn't get through before.

If you get a new TV, it would be remiss of me to not advocate for the LG C1 OLED. I just bought one a few months ago and... ya. It's legit. Of course, if you're going more budget, Hisense makes really solid mid tier TVs, best in price range you can find imo. It just may not have 120 Hz or HDMI 2.1 ports.

I'm still using my DQ Switch. Put the Monster Hunter Rise Switch on display. But I do have an OLED preordered. As someone who recently had their "aha" moment with an OLED TV, and loves tabletop and wants that kickstand, and having just paid an electrician to run ethernet outside and up the house upstairs and hardwired my TV, PS5, PC and Switch (using an adapter now) I couldn't say no. I got a deal through Walmart though. $299 for the neon red/blue OLED. Couldn't refuse that.

PLAYING
NS: METROID DREAD (10/10 muah!)
3DS:
Steam:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: SMTV, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, MH Rise Sunbreak, Zelda BotW 2, Metroid Prime 4

Jesus is Lord.

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH my issues with FPS are vision related in addition to an aversion to guns (just not fun but part of that is likely due to recoil and precision of gunplay that on top of my vision issues make it a no go and I have a philosophical aversion to them) so while I’m usually an advocate for more games for everyone, I have learned not to make myself play games that are literally physically harmful to me (well mostly as I still test my luck/pain tolerance on shumups and music games) or that have themes that disinterest me. So i’ve been fortunate that the genre that gives me the most issues is the one I don’t like anyway. Lol. Bioshock (and the series) I put myself through because I liked the themes and had just finished an Ann Rynd binge but it was very difficult physically and I ended up having to call out of work because I couldn’t drive safely afterwards. I do wonder if they may be better for me to adapt to on the handheld switch. Same with 3d and VR. Perils of being monocular.

I tend to buy LG tvs but I haven’t started looking into them. My current TV (which is in storage) is from 2010. It will depend on how big my new apartment is. I’ve given up on the housing market at least until I get my next two degrees out of the way. More interested in receivers anyway as I will upgrade mine when I get a series x and ps5.

I do hope astria ascending turns out ok as the art is very appealing. Even if the paper doll movement is off putting.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

DarthNocturnal

@JaxonH

Curiosity was why I played NES Metroid. Granted, I had poked around in it before, over the years, but I never really committed to beating it. Now that I have... well, I'm just glad Zero Mission exists. I know I'll have similar feelings about Samus Returns compared to GB Metroid II.

For Fed Force, I was thinking the same thing. Right stick + gyro, standard Prime visuals... alas, they're probably in no hurry to revisit the concept.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Anti-Matter

Untitled
Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life 2 [Enchanted Edition] (English)

https://www.play-asia.com/disney-magic-castle-my-happy-life-2...
2 Dec 2021

The game will support English language.

Untitled
Youtubers Life 2

https://www.play-asia.com/youtubers-life-2-english/13/70exn5
9 Dec 2021

Edited on by Anti-Matter

2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Ralizah

Anyone else think it's a little weird that Tetris Effect releases on Oct. 8th and there's still no listing on the eshop for it?

@JaxonH You'll see more excitement about Sunbreak when they actually show it off or otherwise announce more information about it. The announcement itself isn't a surprise at all, and, realistically, we didn't learn much about it other than a release window and name.

I'm probably going to back off the gaming purchases pretty hard next year (I overspent in 2021 and have a massive pile of games to play through now), but Sunbreak will 100% be one of my few day one downloads. Really looking forward to learning more about it.

@Grumblevolcano The annoying thing is that SMT V got a brand new trailer in the Japanese Direct. Whereas we got some obnoxious segment about the casting in the upcoming Mario movie.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing
n/a

Upcoming
The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve (NS)

Ryu_Niiyama

@Ralizah somebody else noticed that about Tetris Effect, but I'd say give it at least another week. It's not like there is some sort of preorder bonus.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

kkslider5552000

Barring a few big releases, my 2022 is probably gonna be heavily focused on indie games and old games on my Ps3 I imagine. Both things I've mostly ignored for far, far too long. Like there's year 1 Switch releases I've not gotten yet that I knew I wanted by the time they came out and it annoys me to no end.

The idea that Nintendo is likely gonna keep going all in on unavoidable 2022 releases terrifies me tbh. The ones they have are already enough for me.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Ralizah

@Ryu_Niiyama No, but I do think there will be a pre-order or early purchase discount for it, like there was on PC.

I'm sure it'll probably release on time, but I just find it a bit odd for what is a fairly notable port.

Fatal Frame is MiA on the eshop as well. That one is a little further out, though.

Currently Playing
n/a

Upcoming

gcunit

October releases I am down for:

Super Monkey Ball Mania - wasn't going to Day 1 this as I have the originals, but took advantage of an eBay code to get it for 20% off.

Huntdown - I've avoided buying this on the eshop for some time and recently stumbled upon the fact that a physical release is out in the UK on the 8th, so I'm supporting that Day 1 as the price is ok and it's highly rated.

Metroid Dread - I got carried away with the hype and went all in, ordering the special edition and the amiibo set, but the amiibo pre-order was at least partially motivated by the 'now or never' availability I assumed would transpire. Well I now have a few amiibo, I don't think (note the self-doubt) I'm collecting them, so I still may cancel the pre-order as it seems pre-order are still open, indicating decent availability.

Re. the MonHun Rise Sunbreak announcement, have to chime in and say it skimmed off my atmosphere too. I ignore most cinematic trailers completely.

Want in on a family group for cheap NSO membership? Email [email protected]

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Anti-Matter

@Giancarlothomaz
Cafe is not just only serve coffee drinks, but also some side dishes such as sandwich, Fries, cakes, etc.
I really hope we can have part time job in Brewster Cafe and get some money.

2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Ryu_Niiyama

@gcunit If the original runs of the Samus Returns amiibo are any indication then your feeling was likely correct. I haven’t seen any of the recent smash amiibo in stores at all.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

JaxonH

Dread is looking too good to be true.

Also, GVG's report on Dread also mentioned the OLED Switch, and how much better is was than he was expecting. Said the new kickstand is excellent, the larger OLED screen incredibly vibrant and even the speaker audio quality was noticeably improved, and produced louder volumes.

Switch OLED UNBOXING + Side By Side Comparison With v2 Switch

Gosh dang the OLED looks good in this comparison. It's so much brighter and more vibrant than the current Switch. 6 minute mark for comparison btw

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
3DS:
Steam:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: SMTV, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, MH Rise Sunbreak, Zelda BotW 2, Metroid Prime 4

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

On one hand, Metroid, Tetris Effect, and Fatal Frame are a pretty killer trio of releases to play this October. Jaxon has somewhat stoked my interest in Monkey Ball as well.

On the other, it's difficult to maintain interest in anything leading up to the release of SMT V. I'm just counting down the days at this point.

@JaxonH Unsurprisingly, it reminds me of the color differences between the OG and Slim Vita. The non-OLED model just ends up looking very... yellow... in comparisons.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing
n/a

Upcoming

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Was the Vita OLED vs LCD this drastic? I do remember the differences but, I always thought the LCD was really high quality to minimize differences, and with the OLED being older when the tech was newer, it wasn't that big a gap. Or maybe it was and I'm misremembering.

This seems like a pretty big difference, even from screenshots of a compressed YT video.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Monkey Ball is super fun. If you ever played Marble Madness on NES, it's that concept but fully evolved. The mini games are absolute classics though. Like, I'd put Monkey Bowling on par with Wii Sports bowling, even without the motion controls. It's that fun. They have crazy lanes that wave up and down like the top of an ocean, bend side to side, do all this crazy stuff.

And rolling a Monkey in a ball at a bunch of pins just never gets old 😀

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
3DS:
Steam:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Ryu_Niiyama

Ugh I don’t wanna buy another switch right now y’all. Stop tempting me. Must hold out until BOTW 2 release date is announced.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

reporterdavid

@JaxonH think you referring to the current Monkey Ball (since the next switch game is coming october 5th...)
No new switch for me, even though the updates are fun.

Edited on by reporterdavid

Blessed. Voiceactor: Pirates! (Sony/Aardman 2012) - The Passion: A Brickfilm (2019) - Friendcode: SW-3266-3881-2027

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic