Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 59,781 to 59,800 of 69,964

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Doesn’t mean we should never push back.

Loot boxes have been removed from a lot of games that would have otherwise had them due to the pushback, such as Jedi Fallen Order. EA has actually been releasing more games that are single player and without loot boxes. They haven’t gone away but the pushback has had a positive effect. It’s also led to investigations of gambling for minors in certain countries.

Same for Xbox. It might be closer but the fact is, neither X1 nor XS does periodic online DRM checks every 24 hours. That’s a win.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Cotillion

I don't even generally care what games cost new. I'm one of those aforementioned people who doesn't mind being a couple years, or even a generation, behind. There's so many games out there now, that I could play new to me games for the rest of my life and not even touch the next generation. So whats the rush to pay top dollar? I get more games for the same price waiting even a year in some cases. And more complete games typically, because I can get the 'complete' or 'definitive' editions with all the DLCs in one for a lower price. When a new game comes out, I just throw it on the wishlist for the system I want it on and forget about it until it pops up as on sale or reduced (Usually Steam, cause well, Steam sales are usually just so good).
When the PS4 came out, that was when I got a PS3. Someone locally wanted to unload theirs to fund a PS4. So, I bought their PS3 with about 15 games for $120. Most of them really good games too, the Uncharted series, Tomb Raider, etc.. Then, between people locally unloading PS3 games and stores discounting them to make room for PS4 games, I built myself a nice PS3 library for a fraction of what it would have cost new.
Now is when I'm starting to keep an eye out for people unloading PS4s, so I can snag one for a decent price with games.
There are a few franchises where I want to play the new installment right away, but even then I can typically wait a month or two. I held off Metroid Dread for a couple months and got a second hand copy at EB games last week for $25 less than the new ones on the same shelf.
I'm more interested in making my money buy more games than just having the fewer of the newest ones on release.

Cotillion

JaxonH

I think it affects ppl who wait too, though.

Because if prices start $10 higher, then their sale prices will also be $10 higher (as we've seen with Ratchet and Clank and Demons Souls). Instead of dropping $20 to $39.99, they drop to $49.99, and the floor the game reaches might also be $10 higher as a result. It trickles down. One way or another, that increase carries forward.

I suppose one could counter this buy waiting even longer. But if you typically wait for prices to reach the floor, and the floor is $10 higher, there's no escaping it.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH Of course it's important to pushback against anti-consumer stuff, I was only saying that it's important to be wary of next moves after successful pushbacks. People just accepted battle passes because they considered it to be "better" than loot boxes which then led to abominations like Halo Infinite's progression system. People don't bother trying to win in objective game modes because they're too busy with "Kill enemy spartans with [insert weapon or vehicle]" challenges to progress in the battle pass.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Ya, fair enough.

It's a strategy of fatiguing the enemy. Just bombard them with new monetization over and and over. We take a win here and there, but then ppl are too tired to keep it up. That's certainly by design.

"Oh OK, you don't want the system based DRM online checks, no problem"... "OK guys, let's make our games mandate online moving forward, they won't push back if it's just one single game at a time, a few might gripe but not enough will skip it". Then one game becomes two games, becomes four games, etc.

Pizzamorg

Yah, it is always annoying when the whales come out of the woodwork and start defending anti-consumerism because they’re slaves to specific brands. It normalises it in the eyes of the companies and they’ll just keep pushing from there until they eventually upset enough people. Then they’ll do a very slight backpedal and take the praise and pretend they’re all about the consumer, despite just back-pedalling into only slightly less anti-consumer practices.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

JaxonH

Dying Light on sale on eShop for $38. Incredible port, can’t recommend it enough.

Trials Rising is $6, Gold Edition with season pass is $9. One of the best games I’ve played in years. Absolutely amazing.

JaxonH

Ah, more links to new random import shovelware listings.

Just what we were waiting on...

I genuinely hope one day a like minded member joins here to discuss this stuff to their heart's content... in a dedicated thread.

Ryu_Niiyama

Welp just got my collector’s edition of Danganronpa (Amazon is so slow now)! Will wait until next year since I am playing GAA Chronicles right now.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Anti-Matter

@JaxonH
Sometimes the upcoming Switch games i posted here from playasia were not really shovelware games like i have ever posted Youtubers Life 2 , Alba: a Wildlife Adventure , Grow: Song of the Evertree , Farm Together , etc.

I like to give some information about upcoming games that didn't mentioned from Direct, maybe there are some peoples have interest with kind of games like that (hidden gems).

Anti-Matter

Pizzamorg

Honestly starting to really enjoy Luigi’s Mansion, I must still be within the tutorial portion because I am just trying to explore and enjoy myself the scientist keeps telling me off. And it is very annoying how aggressively he tries to hold your hand, but I guess these games are predominantly made for children.

It took me a while to get used to the sticks, but I am basically there with their function now. It helped when I realised all the face buttons have shoulder button equivalents the game doesn’t tell you about, unless you specifically check the controls in the options menu. The game feels a lot less awkward to control if you stop using the face buttons entirely.

However, otherwise, I am having a lot of fun so far. It looks gorgeous, especially for a Switch game, and thanks mostly to the physics engine both puzzle solving, exploring and combat are really elevated beyond their simple trappings. It is just so much fun poking around and seeing the way in which you can interact with various objects to make things happen. Plus it probably should get old, but smashing a ghost into a bunch of his ghost mates to take them all down always feels so good.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Eel

@Pizzamorg that one almost looks like a CG movie at times, and it’s a clever and funny game too. Yeah the controls get much better once you start using the shoulder buttons.

It does have its annoying parts (like the boiler room and a few boss battles), but the good parts outweigh them in the end I think.

I absolutely recommend trying out the local coop mode, it’s pretty fun.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
As with most Nintendo games, they're not exclusively targeting children, they're designing for everyone. Not to say some Nintendo games don't skew toward a younger demographic (Kirby, Animal Crossing, but even these games appeal to women and more casual gamers as much as anyone else), because I do think they try to offer a wide variety of products for everyone. But what's helped Nintendo stay successful and relevant, I believe, is their ability to make games that aren't just for one type of gamer or age group.

Luigi's Mansion 3 is fantastic. It's been a while since I played but I think you can use gyro to tilt the flashlight up or down if you want. Might have to be turned on in settings though.

@Eel
I played Scarescraper in Luigi's Mansion 2 on 3DS with my brother and had so much fun. They really went all out for LM3. Way more fleshed out and even had DLC content for MP too, iirc. Haven't tried out the MP myself, though.

Really should put that game on my to-do list to get back to.

Ryu_Niiyama

@BrazillianCara Lol I’ve played through most of both series before (I have GAA on 3ds and danganronpa on vita) but I’ll put a game in between them. Danganronpa series always makes me uncomfortable (not exactly a complaint… just an observation).

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

JaxonH

@Giancarlothomaz
And best seller on Black Friday, as well, despite the Adobe Analytics claiming Series S the winner (they go by clicks, which is a reasonable predictor but, as we can clearly see, not always reliable).

Said Switch was basically around the numbers of PS5 + Xbox Series combined, though Switch was down compared to the last few years (still above 2017 though). Evidently supply constraints all around are impacting holiday sales.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic