Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 59,561 to 59,580 of 70,008

Pizzamorg

@Buizel @Grumblevolcano
I can see why people will feel that way when they see what else the Switch has achieved, however, you can’t make up a game in your own head and then complain the game is not that. I think that is where some of the criticism becomes sort of overblown to me, however, I will agree the second half of the game can feel a little rushed. I don’t think the story resolved well or made a lot of sense in the end. I also have no frame of context over the whole national dex thing, so I’ll bow to your expertise on that.

In terms of difficulty @Ralizah and @link3710, I personally don’t want any frustration in my games, so I don’t see it as a bad thing if they are trying to remove all frustration from the experience. I can agree S/S leant on the easier side, but I think it was the lesser of two evils, any harder and I think frustration would have creeped in at points and that would have dragged the game down for me. I don’t want that.

I really had no issues with becoming over levelled, but then I avoid all the grinding I can in games as I think it is an antiquated pacing mechanism. I think a game should grow with the player and S/S mostly does that.

I will say the online infrastructure is pretty garbage, but so is NSO in general, so I am not really sure who is at fault there.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

JaxonH

Switch Pro Controller is $49.99 at Walmart.

Good opportunity for anyone who doesn't have one.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

link3710

@Pizzamorg It's not the difficulty. I can play through Platinum, HGSS, or Black and White without dying easily enough. It's that there's no optional areas, nothing to explore, nothing but the beaten path. It's totally possible to have explorable areas without the game being frustrating, but the series needs to be handholding enough that it's literally impossible to get lost, not simply highly unlikely. And that distinction is where a lot of potentially fun gameplay goes out the window.

link3710

rallydefault

@Ralizah
But again, I don't even know what "sp content" is lol Is that just short for single player? I don't trade online, either.

I'm saying there are plenty of peasants out there like me who really know nothing about Pokemon outside of watching the TV show and playing Red/Blue when we were kids. I just enjoy a good Pokemon adventure from time to time.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

IceClimbers

@link3710 Agreed. Sun/Moon were especially bad about this IMO. They didn't feel like an adventure, and more like a guided tour around the islands.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

JaxonH

So, Life Is Strange True Colors doesn't even release on Switch until a week from Tuesday (digitally) and February (physically) yet BestBuy has the Switch version preorder on sale alongside all the other versions.

Life Is Strange: True Colors preorder on sale for $34.99 at BestBuy

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/life-is-strange-true-colors-nint...

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

FragRed

@JaxonH Got to get that money from unknowing shoppers. I mean, look how many retailers put up games for pre-order that are still many years away from release.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

So I started Brilliant Diamond, is time of day determined by the Switch's clock like Animal Crossing or is it a cycle that's less than 24 hours?

@JaxonH That's rather unheard of for a preorder to be discounted because the same game already released on other platforms is discounted.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

IceClimbers

@Grumblevolcano It's determined by the Switch's clock. However, you can't time travel like in Animal Crossing. If you try to do so it'll lock any time based events for 24 hours.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
I think what happened is, they put the other versions on sale, and accidentally included the Switch version by mistake.

Cause otherwise, ya. Like you say, it's rare to see pre-orders go on discount.

It's a good deal. I really hope Switch gamers support it. Sometimes it seems like, the better the graphics, the less the fanbase is interested for some reason.

Buizel

link3710 wrote:

I still think my #1 criticism of SwSh is that one of my favorite tenants of Pokemon (Exploration) is totally missing. It was already reduced in XY, and again in SuMo), but in SwSh (at least the base game), there's literally no sense of discovery outside of the Wild Area. And that only lasts for... maybe 10 minutes to see the whole thing? Otherwise, the game is basically a line with nowhere to turn off it. No optional areas, no getting lost (even the woods halfway through are literally a straight line, Viridian Forest style).

This is my #1 problem with the most recent games: the lack of exploration. Gen 5 was arguably the start of this (the region and progression through it was very linear, however there were loads of optional areas to explore), but Gens 6 and onwards is where it got worse. Gens 7 and 8 in particular have massively stripped down routes, coinciding with the introducing of a dynamic camera (as opposed to a top-down view). These games are the ones they really railroad you through a set path both in terms of region and narrative design. However I'm willing to forgive Sword/Shield for this more because I generally prefer its setting, Pokemon, and the wild area. Plus the DLC was a step in the right direction when it comes to exploration.

IceClimbers wrote:

Sun/Moon were especially bad about this IMO. They didn't feel like an adventure, and more like a guided tour around the islands.

Absolutely. As time goes on, Pokemon feels like about creating your own adventure, and more about being dragged along someone else's story.

At least 2'8".

Pizzamorg

I dunno how I feel about the whole open world thing, I love open world games but I dunno whether Pokemon would actually be better for it. One of the things I liked about S/S was how focused it was, I think the art of a curated, linear, journey has been sort of lost in modern gaming. I think a part of why S/S felt so well tuned to me was because it was such a controlled experience that didn’t allow players the ability to go too far off script and potentially break the flow. I do agree at points the game felt overly handholdy and rushed, but to me a more open, exploration focused version of S/S isn’t just an automatic win. I could see just as much of a chance of that ruining the game’s momentum and pacing, if done poorly.

That is why I am quite intrigued by the apparent hub focus of Legends, if true and done well, it might strike a good middle ground. Possibly giving the players the opportunity for exploration, but still keeping them on somewhat of a leash, so the devs can still have some degree of control over the proceedings to allow the game to retain a form, structure and clear pace/momentum.

link3710

@Buizel Yeah, I literally can't bring myself to try the DLC. I keep hearing from everyone that it helps redeem the base game but I just have no desire to open that game again.

@Pizzamorg I'll be honest, the way you describe it doesn't sound that bad. I personally hated S/S' pacing though so... That def didn't help lol.

As a sidenote, I'm actually really enjoying BDSP. While it still pisses me off the sheer number of things that should have been fixed that weren't (honey trees come to mind, as well as the lack of platinum updates), the Grand Underground mixes what I liked about the OG one with some of what was good about the Wild Area, and let's me explore it at my own pace. Capsules being on the main menu makes me update them way more, I missed them. And Sinnoh does have a really fun map. This is probably the most fun I've had with a Pokemon game since... ORAS probably.

EDIT: Okay this is petty but I have to mention it. Just got to the berry master's house, and the lady who used to sell you fertilizer sells berries now. Fine, fertilizer was an annoying mechanic, I don't mind it's removal. But she still has the same dialogue, so she talks about how she makes the berries she's selling by mixing high quality dirt with manure... honestly made me laugh. Can't believe no one noticed that.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

JaxonH

NA never got the Brilliant Diamond + Shining Pearl steelbook exclusive to UK. I had to order on eBay for $50 because I'm a diehard Switch steelbook collector.

Pokemon Legends Arceus also has one, but Amazon UK won't ship to US.

Thankfully, FNAC out of France sells the steelbook separately (for €40) but offers it free with the game for €49.99. And they ship to the US. I figure if I'm gonna pay $50-60 for it, may as well get an EU copy of the game to sell on eBay and recoup some costs. Even selling at $45 and pocketing $35, that puts net cost below buying it directly.

If anyone is interested, here's the link. Use Chrome to translate to English.

Untitled

Untitled

https://jeux-video.fnac.com/a13568553/Legendes-Pokemon-Arceus...

Edited on by JaxonH

kkslider5552000

I'd always been curious about the Plants vs. Zombies shooter spinoff titles. Finding the newest one at 14 dollars at Gamestop is as good a time as any I guess.

That game came out on Switch this year, so that's a pretty great deal.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

JaxonH

It's really fun, too. I'm just not big into multi-player focused games. It does have some single player offline content though. And Gyro aiming.

So many good deals. If I didn't own everything already I'd take a few hundred bucks and just grab the top 20 games on a deep sale.

I'm suddenly reminded we live in a world where a AAA Monster Hunter game exists on an OLED hybrid handheld, and all is right in the world...

Untitled

Pizzamorg

Talking about the whole difficulty/lack thereof in S/S, it is kinda weird that I believe Leon has a level 66 Pokemon as his strongest Pokemon, so you grind it out for that goal in mind. But so far all of these end game fights have been between 61 and 63, so I have gone in overlevelled but not through choice, but just by playing the game as instructed.

JaxonH

Switch OLED in stock on Nintendo Store. Last call before Christmas!

https://store.nintendo.com/nintendo-switch-oled-model-white-s...

Pizzamorg

Untitled

So I went looking for a Switch OLED to get myself something for Christmas, not only is it really cheap because of the Euro conversion, but look at them all! The Rise special editions, the Animal Crossing special editions plus a bunch of other stuff outside the frame. I guess this is because we are on a small island? Back in the UK the scalpers would have hoovered them all up.

BruceCM

As far as I know, there weren't too many problems with the OLED Switches here, @Pizzamorg .... They're certainly available in stores in my City & online
Have you brought 1 yet, then? Where are you at the moment, if you don't mind telling us?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic