Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 58,941 to 58,960 of 59,728

Grumblevolcano

I think there are 2 essential Playstation consoles at this point, PS3 and PS4/PS5 (pick 1 out of PS4/PS5, not both). The 60GB PS3 allows you to play PS1, PS2 and PS3 games meanwhile PS4/PS5 has the situation where there's not much reason to own a PS5 if you already own a PS4 but if you don't then it doesn't matter which you pick given Sony's releasing almost all their PS5 games on PS4 anyway.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

HotGoomba

@Grumblevolcano Yeah, if you own an og PS3, you're getting the whole PlayStation library from the original to the PS3 and PS2, and even the Slim and Ultra Slim have plenty of PS2 classics available on the PS Store and collections, *and if you own a PS5 as well, you get nearly all of the PS4 games and the new upcoming PS5 games.

So really now you only need two PlayStation consoles to experience the whole PlayStation library (or at least the vast majority).

Please, for the love of everything, don't click on the link on my profile.

You've been warned

gcunit

The 60gb PS3 is good in theory, but I've avoided buying one because they have a reputation for poor long-term durability. PS2 is b/c with PS1 so I'd really not be missing much.

Want in on a family group for cheap NSO membership? Email [email protected]

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Buizel

PS3 is pretty much just a Ratchet and Clank machine for me at this point (how did neither the trilogy or the PS3 titles make it to PS4?). Other than that, and the odd PS1/PS2 title (Persona 3 FES), I very rarely go back.

That said, I rarely go back to the Wii and Xbox 360 either. It's difficult for me to get past the motion controls on the former, and the latter doesn't really have too many exclusives that appeal to me these days. Multiplats from that gen are mostly either on PC, BC with Xbox Series, or have been rereleased on more modern consoles.

Previously "timleon" and "HunterLeon"

Currently playing: who can keep track anymore.

CactusMan

@Buizel PS3 was good at the time of it´s release. As far as retro gaming goes it´s more or less useless, unless someone really likes obsolete or worse versions of games.
GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, Street Fighter IV, Assassin's Creed II, Far Cry 3 etc were all great games when released but are now obsolete because of better sequels.
Other games on the platform are just worts versions at this point in time like Metal Gear Solid V, The Last of Us, God of War III.
Except for Ratchet and Clank, maybe Final Fantasy XIII and a hand full of other games it´s a useless platform for retro games. I know you can use it as a PSX and PS2. Back when it was current gen PS3 was good.

Bamm!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6657-1971-4787

JaxonH

Level-5 is dead as far as I'm concerned.

They have decided to stay JP-only, in the territory that's not buying their games, and forego localizing in the west, the territory that's buying up games like crazy.

PLAYING
NS: Warioware, Cruis'n Blast, Ni No Kuni 2
3DS: Metroid Samus Returns
Steam: Horizon Zero Dawn, Deathloop, Tales of Arise
PS5: Spiderman, Ghosts of Tsushima
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Dread, Monkey Ball, SMTV

Jesus is Lord.

Magician

@JaxonH

Agreed, Level-5 makes me sad.

What I wouldn't give for a Switch port of Fantasy Life though.

The best MMO-lite not enough people played.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 797 games (as of September 23th, 2021)
Currently playing: Spiritfarer (Switch)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

Ralizah

Professor Layton is up there with Ace Attorney for me as one of my favorite video game series. They've released a number of other really high-quality games over the years as well.

I have no idea what happened at Level-5, but to regress to the point where you're not even trying to release console games outside of Japan...

Oh well. Layton's done, they don't want to release a proper sequel to Fantasy Life, Snack World kinda sucked, the Yokai Watch bubble finally burst, etc. I guess it's not like they had much to offer at this point anyway.

Currently Playing: WarioWare: Get it Together! (NS)

Upcoming
The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve (NS)
God of War (PS4)
Tetris Effect (NS)

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah Honestly I'd have to disagree on the exclusives part

Xbox 360 had bangers like Halo 3 and Gears of War but ironically it was for me when the PS3 was getting better exclusives that the 360's kind of dropped off in quality. Halo 3 ODST and Reach were great but I didn't love Halo 4, Mass Effect was initially exclusive but came to PS3, the Kinect stuff was pretty disposable, Halo Wars kind of just came and went for me and Too Human was such a misfire

I feel it was by the end of the generation that people started labelling Xbox as the "Halo, Gears and Forza console" since that was pretty much most of their notable output by the end of 360 going into Xbox One. It isn't bad, but PS3 by this point had curated much more diversity in its exclusives imo

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Magician

@Ralizah

I agree about the X360 having better first party games over the PS3. But from a perspective of hardware, the build quality for the X360 was trash. The chipset always ran too hot which resulted in the board flexing and causing the RRoD. I won't say it was guaranteed but I believe the failure rate for the platform was 55% (if not worse). Personally, I replaced my X360 four times over the seven years I enjoyed the platform.

Meanwhile, I only ever bought one PS3, having never experienced the white light of death once.

Edited on by Magician

Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

StuTwo

I’ve always said that I don’t think catching the DS and PS2 would be realistic…

…but I think when it comes to lifetime sales and seeing where Switch is now at, knowing that there’s still at least 18 months of “current support” from Nintendo and knowing that they’ve still got plenty of room for movement into budget territory I’ve changed my mind.

Like @JaxonH I now think Nintendo will come close and could definitely do it if they really want to. It’s down to how long they want to sell the Switch for, how much they’re willing to reduce prices (including software) and how much of a continuation the successor is.

I wouldn’t be surprised if future “mini” consoles from Nintendo (like a GameCube mini or a Wii Mini) are actually just Switches in different boxes with a skinned UI (even if they don’t come until many years down the line).

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Grumblevolcano

I think Switch will reach the Wii and PS1 around March 2022 from a Pokemon boost (both upcoming games releasing before then), PS4 and GB/GBC around March 2023 if BotW 2 launches in 2022.

At least 3rd seems like a guarantee.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@TheFrenchiestFry For me, the exclusives that defined the 360 were stuff like Alan Wake, Mass Effect (at the time), Viva Pinata, and Lost Odyssey. PS3 had nothing that could compete. IMO, it still doesn't, even if 360 dropped off near the end.

Ironically, I've still never played a Halo or Forza game. I liked Gears of War at the time, but lost interest after the second game, which dropped the light horror feel of the original game.

@Magician lol I bought mine during the height of the RRoD crisis and never had a single issue. Didn't they resolve that issue with hardware revisions?

Currently Playing: WarioWare: Get it Together! (NS)

Upcoming
The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve (NS)
God of War (PS4)
Tetris Effect (NS)

Magician

@Ralizah The build quality was suppose to have improved with the Elite version a couple years into the X360's lifecycle. But my Elite RRoD'd just as quickly as previous models. Perhaps the build quality improved again with the S version in 2010? But I never owned that model.

TheFrenchiestFry

@Magician The S version is the one that's widely considered to be the best Xbox 360 model. From what I heard it apparently addressed a lot of the hardware complaints people were having with the launch and elite models and also has a way sleeker design

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon and Alan Wake were some of my favorite 360 games but I also think those were coming out around the time Microsoft had the edge in terms of exclusive titles for me. After Metal Gear Solid 4 Sony imo really cleaned up their act. Some people don't like Naughty Dog's style of game and that's fine. I still think there were plenty of other noteworthy exclusives the PS3 had anyway

I honestly forgot how good Square's 360 output was considering it was their first time on Xbox to my knowledge. They came out with stuff like FFXI and Blue Dragon pretty quickly and obviously FFXIII going multiplatform was a huge deciding factor in people switching to Xbox from PS3

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

CactusMan

@TheFrenchiestFry Etarnal Sonata might be be worth revisiting those consoles. People switching to PS3 was marketing and Naughty Dog.

Bamm!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6657-1971-4787

JaxonH

Blue Dragon wasn't Square Enix- I believe that was Sakaguchi's first game outside of Square Enix, actually.

Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, the trifecta of 360 JRPG exclusives. Tales is now Remastered and on Switch at that, but the other two remain 360 exclusive.

Xbox One stunk when it came to exclusive output, but despite a slow start, it seems Series S/X is going to take us back to the glory days. They've got a lot of quality exclusive titles in the bullpen right now.

And I'm there for all of it. I'm very picky with my racers. Forza Horizon 5 is, alongside Cruis'n Blast on Switch, one of the few I'm excited for. Halo Infinite looks excellent. Gears Tactics was better than XCOM 2 and I can't wait for the next entry. Gears of War 5 is one of the best 3rd person shooter campaigns I've ever played (especially co-op), and no doubt the next will be just as good. Add in the next Ori, Hellblade 2, all of Obsidian's future output including The Outer Worlds 2, and all of Bethesda's output like Elder Scrolls VI, Starfield, Doom sequel and Wolfenstein sequel...

And they may actually end up with one of the finest exclusive lineups this generation. I choose to play their games on Steam where I can use Gyro, but for any non-PC gamer, I think Xbox is going to be a console to own this generation.

PLAYING
NS: Warioware, Cruis'n Blast, Ni No Kuni 2
3DS: Metroid Samus Returns
Steam: Horizon Zero Dawn, Deathloop, Tales of Arise
PS5: Spiderman, Ghosts of Tsushima
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Dread, Monkey Ball, SMTV

Jesus is Lord.

TheFrenchiestFry

@JaxonH I'll be honest, the Series X library would be way better for me if most of the titles I was personally interested in weren't either "2022" or "TBA"

Really the thing that made me start following them more closely was the Bethesda acquistion because games like Starfield and potentially Elder Scrolls VI, as well as IPs like DOOM, Evil Within, Prey and Wolfenstein are massive gets if all of them are going to be console exclusives to Xbox now. I'm still wary on Halo Infinite because they've been emphasizing multiplayer a lot more in recent marketing while being dodgy around showing more than just really brief, non-gameplay snippets of single-player after last year's showcase. It's a wait and see for me, but at least it isn't the mess that was Xbox One's output

TheFrenchiestFry

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic