Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 58,921 to 58,940 of 69,980

JaxonH

Metroid Dread Battery Test (Max Brightness)
Switch Lite: 4.5 hrs
Switch v2: 5.25 hrs
Switch OLED: 6.2 hrs

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

mjharper

@JaxonH That's interesting. How old/used are each of those Switch units? Is it possible to blame the differences on lost battery capacity due to age or usage?

mjharper

Switch Friend Code: SW-1710-0829-4896

JaxonH

@mjharper
All 3 brand new.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Gamer83

@JaxonH
I actually think we're looking at March 2023 for the successor to the Switch, which hopefully keeps the same hybrid concept and lets people bring over all their games and accessories. It would mean only 1 year and 4 months for the OLED as the 'premium' Switch but it would also be in line with what the Wii's cycle was. And fact is, the next-gen Switch does need to get here sooner than later. What I see happening is the new gen hardware hits March 2023, standard Switch and OLED both get price cuts, Lite gets dropped.

Gamer83

Ralizah

@Gamer83 There'd be no reason to drop the Lite, which they're probably going to keep as their budget option going forward, and it's likely much cheaper to manufacture. If they're going to drop anything, it'll be the non-OLED Switch.

I do also think we'll see a more powerful model launch in 2023, though, with BotW2 promoted heavily as a cross-gen launch title for the system.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Gamer83
I won't rule anything out. Anything's possible with Nintendo. March 2023 is a little sooner than I'm expecting, but it's not so soon I can rule it out entirely like I can with a 2022 release.

I do think they'll want to launch next gen with a Zelda, if possible. It worked for Switch and they'll obviously want to repeat that. And that fact does lend itself to a "delay Zelda to March 2023 to align with and help push Switch 2". Can't deny the logic in that.

On the other hand, rushing out a new system simply because of Zelda's timing may not be worth it in a cost/benefit analysis. They could easily launch with Metroid Prime 4 and a new 3D Mario in the launch window (appeal to core fans and casuals alike) so as to not need to rush the timing to match Zelda. And, a reveal trailer for the next Zelda after BotW 2 could still get ppl excited for the hardware. Perhaps not to the same extent, but that's what Metroid and Mario are for.

I think it may also depend on momentum over the next two yrs. If Switch is still pushing 20+ million a yr, they may not be so quick to abandon that for a new generation. Especially with their stated intent to stretch this generation out. At the same time they won't want to wait too long, as they made that mistake with Wii, failing to launch a Wii HD until interest had plummeted. So they'll want to stretch it as far as it can go, without stretching it so far demand falls off a cliff.

I believe something is happening in 2023- be it a new revision, the next generation, or even just a reveal announcement for the next generation.

Banjo-

Late 2022-early 2023 seems quite likely. I wonder what will happen to backwards compatibility, it's Nintendo so anything can happen. As @Ralizah, I think that the 2017/2019 model will be replaced by the OLED model (2021) and that Switch Lite will be marketed as a budget option at least until the Switch Advance (to say a name) is released.

EDIT: So, my conclusion is that I should keep my Lite until late 2022-early 2023 and skip the OLED model.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

JaxonH

You can now redeem eShop credit on the web. Had no idea. Did you guys know about this? I didn't know about this.

https://ec.nintendo.com/redeem/#/

Ralizah

@BlueOcean In general, Nintendo has historically been pretty good about backwards-compatibility when the devices can support it. All of their handhelds besides the Game Boy (which, by definition, couldn't be BC, since it was their first mass produced handheld gaming system) and DSi have supported BC at least one generation back. The consoles have obviously been less solid, as they've gone through more format changes, but the Wii supported GC, and the Wii U supported Wii.

So the only way I can see them not supporting BC with Switch titles is if they change formats again, which seems unlikely, as discs haven't historically been a great fit for portable gaming devices.

Edited on by Ralizah

Gamer83

@Ralizah
I could see that scenario too with keeping the Lite. Either way, at least one model will be dropped.

@JaxonH
Yeah, I'd be shocked if something launched in 2022. I think sometime from February to April 2023 is the sweet spot. Get it out with Zelda and maybe Mario Kart 9 as a next-gen exclusive at launch or only a month later and you're off to a hell of a start.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

Banjo-

@Ralizah Yes that's something I loved about Nintendo... until Switch. I know that the formats are different but they didn't support digital cross-buy either even though the Switch accounts can be merged with the Wii U/3DS accounts. So their future console could drop this "digital compatibility" again, who knows. If only they were third party!

@Gamer83 Yes by 2022 I mean late 2022-early 2023 like Grumblevolcano.

Banjo-

JaxonH

@Eel
Must be new. I bought some eShop cred from Raise on the Android app, and it said "Redeem" which I'm only used to seeing on sites that sell Steam games. So I clicked the button and it took me to the page to redeem codes. Even had a copy button to copy the code text.

That makes it super convenient. No more typing it in on Switch eShop.

Ralizah

@BlueOcean Cross-Buy only applies to a tiny number of the games on Wii U/3DS anyway, and none of the first-party stuff, as far as I'm aware, so it wouldn't have accomplished much on Switch.

Barring any major changes in format or form factor again (which is unlikely, given they've restructured their company is such a way that they're all in with hybrid game development), I don't think there's any reason to think the Switch successor won't be like the Wii U, which was able to play all of its previous system's physical and digital games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Banjo-

@Ralizah Yes but you mentioned backwards compatibility and discs, so I answered that Switch doesn't support discs, it could have supported cross-buy because the accounts can be merged. I wasn't talking about the 3DS/Wii U cross-buy options. About future backwards compatibility, anything can happen considering how greedy Nintendo has become.

Banjo-

Ralizah

@BlueOcean Ah.

The Wii U --> Switch was probably the last time they could get away with not carrying over licenses and doing full priced ports from their last system, considering how wildly different the consoles are and how few people even owned a Wii U. Especially now with backwards-compatibility becoming more of an expected standard. There'll be a backlash if their next hybrid starts from zero again.

Anything can happen, of course, but historical precedent strongly suggests their next console will be fully backwards-compatible. I'd be shocked if it wasn't, actually.

Anyway, Nintendo has always been greedy. All of these companies are greedy. They're elaborate machines designed to make money. When they're riding high, like Nintendo and Sony are at the moment and Microsoft was back before the launch of the Xbox One, they make tone-deaf decisions and bleed their bases dry. When they're down, like Nintendo was with the Wii U, Sony was mid-seventh-gen, and Microsoft has pretty much been since the launch of the Xbox One (although that's definitely improving so far this generation), they become apologetic and attempt to curry favor with new customers through gracious deals, pricing, and services (Nintendo literally gave me a free $50 Wii U game when I bought Mario Kart 8 as part of a launch window promotion, lol). We've seen this song and dance so many times over the years.

Edited on by Ralizah

Banjo-

@Ralizah Hopefully. I think that Nintendo was alright until Switch in regard to customers. One could say that SNES cartridges were too expensive but they were real hardware with real chips unlike the cheap Switch "SD" cards. Wii U was a nice environment, I still have mine connected to my TV. I wished I could have got the Switch ports of the games that I had bought for Wii U for free, I mean, the digital games as we know that Wii U use discs and Switch doesn't or, at least with a discount or loyalty/ambassador program like the ones we had on 3DS and Wii U. Switch offered zero to Wii U owners that supported Nintendo until then.

Banjo-

JaxonH

I'm so in love with this OLED Switch now that I FINALLY got a tempered glass screen protector on perfectly (or, close enough to perfect anyways). The last one I put on was bothering me with the dust near the bottom edge.

And, I used a small piece of black elecrrical tape on the very bottom of the side of the tablet system where the base of the joycon make contact (not in the rail, but below that). It blends in perfectly, can't see it and even looking right at it with joycon off it looks like part of the system. But it firms up the joycon to be super snug which makes it feel like holding a Switch Lite.

I fired up Dying Light on my Lite this morning (still downloading my library to 1TB card #3 right now- have my main card with top games, then 2 backups stored in 3D printed cartridge, top one A-M and btm one N-Z).

Immediately I was like ugggh, the screen is gray. It's not even remotely close to black. How on earth did I tolerate this for 4 years? For real. It made me not even want to play. I guess I never understood the complaints about the screen without a higher standard to compare to. Now I get it. And it sucks because I love taking the Lite to work. But... this just won't do.

We need an OLED Lite model like, right now.

Anti-Matter

There are some games i have to get quickly for November 2021 (PS3 games) so i have to delay again my Switch games purchase schedule to December 2021.
Rare old games are my top priority if compared with has been released upcoming games.

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic