Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 58,921 to 58,940 of 59,740

Snaplocket

On a positive note. I just beat NEO The World Ends with You and if you guys haven't bought it yet, GET IT! It's easily one of the best action RPGs I've played in a long time.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

rallydefault

@Snaplocket
It seems awesome, but if I can believe what I'm hearing I should definitely start with the first game.

rallydefault

JaxonH

So, 89 mil as of June 30th means Switch is definitely past 90 mil now.

Q1 2021 couldn't match the 5+ million of Q1 2020 with the C19 boom, but it did manage 4+ million which is easily double that of any other Q1 since launch

Should be comfortably past 100m by the end of this holiday season. Switch is coming for that keaster 😉

PLAYING
NS: Warioware, Cruis'n Blast, Ni No Kuni 2
3DS: Metroid Samus Returns
Steam: Horizon Zero Dawn, Deathloop, Tales of Arise
PS5: Spiderman, Ghosts of Tsushima
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Dread, Monkey Ball, SMTV

Jesus is Lord.

Snaplocket

@rallydefault You can just buy both, TWEWY Final Remix is available on the eshop for $50. A bit expensive but very much worth the price for how good the series is.

Magician

Hmm, looks like there's another indie to add to the wishlist.

Dodgeball Academia is getting rave reviews.
https://opencritic.com/game/11780/dodgeball-academia

Switch Physical Collection - 797 games (as of September 23th, 2021)
Currently playing: Spiritfarer (Switch)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

HotGoomba

JaxonH wrote:

So, 89 mil as of June 30th means Switch is definitely past 90 mil now.

Q1 2021 couldn't match the 5+ million of Q1 2020 with the C19 boom, but it did manage 4+ million which is easily double that of any other Q1 since launch

Should be comfortably past 100m by the end of this holiday season. Switch is coming for that keaster 😉

Wow so the Switch will almost certainly beat the Wii in sales, and even the PS4 if they keep it up. I guess the Switch now has a chance of beating the PS2 and DS. The Switch does have a few years left in the market, so hey, who knows?

Edited on by HotGoomba

Please, for the love of everything, don't click on the link on my profile.

You've been warned

TheFrenchiestFry

@HotGoomba Honestly I don't see any console trumping the PS2 numbers for decades. The PS2 was truly the definition of "lightning in a bottle" considering it was a combination of being the successor to the first console to cross 100 million units worldwide as well as being a makeshift DVD player for families with not enough cash to afford a discrete one in addition to the still unmatched third party and first party support that thing got

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

HotGoomba

@TheFrenchiestFry Yeah you're probably right, I don't think that the Switch will beat the PS2 in sales, but with the Switch doing so well, I think that if any console was to beat it,

it would have been the DS, but that was discontinued right before it could beat the PS2, so I guess the Switch could do it if it's lucky.

Plus, the Switch seems to be matching the sales chart of the PS2, so I don't know, it's likely but I'm not crossing my fingers or anything.

You've been warned

rallydefault

I think the Switch can do it, even if it's through slower trickling sales years after its successor is already being sold. I remember Sony kept making PS2s even after the PS3 was out, and I think it outsold the PS3 for awhile lol

Yea - I'm seeing a news article that said Japanese production of the PS2 stopped in 2012. The PS3 launched in 2006 lol

rallydefault

HotGoomba

rallydefault wrote:

I remember Sony kept making PS2s even after the PS3 was out, and I think it outsold the PS3 for awhile lol

Yeah lol, the PS3 had a rough first few years.

You've been warned

TheFrenchiestFry

@rallydefault The final game to be published for PS2 also came out right when the PS4 was being released. That console had serious longevity

TheFrenchiestFry

JaxonH

I think Switch is gonna do it.

They're at 90 million at 4.5 yrs on the market. Ok. Follow me here.

They did 28 million last FY. They won't hit that this year but judging by their latest quarter, they should hit their projection of 25 mil this FY. That takes them to 110 million at the full 5 yr mark. 45 million to go.

All they'd have to do is manage 45 mil the final 3 years. That's 15 mil per year on average. And their momentum will likely mean 20 mil is sold for FY6. Requiring just 15M in FY7 and 10M in FY8 to cap it off.

But let's say projections fall a bit short and they only do 22M this FY. Meaning they have a few mil to make up. Even then it's within grasp. Simply averaging 16M instead of 15M per year would make up for it, or by or going for a 9 year generation, that would make up for it.

And if they go 9 years (which I think is a distinct possibility) they'll comfortably smash it. If they don't break the record, however, it's going to be by a hair's margin. They're gonna come dangerously close at the very least.

Picross S Genesis is a wonderful game. One of the things I loved about 3DS was the Zelda and Pokémon Picross games. They felt right, and weren't games I'd play on the TV but on handheld were tons of fun.

Up until now I've avoided the Picross games but this release feels more special, like the ones on 3DS. Themed with gaming, and I love that. It's got normal Picross, Mega Picross, Color Picross and Clip Picross. The controls are excellent and work very well with analog. They have count functions and optional hints, even a hint roulette... this game and Switch Lite are a perfect match.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Snaplocket

@HotGoomba Fun fact the PS3 was originally going to appear on Gametrailers "top ten worst video game consoles" video but was beat out by the Phantom, which never actually came out.

Another fun fact, the Phantom's big draw was that it didn't use physical games and all games were downloaded, yeah (looks at PS5 Digital Edition).

JaxonH

I don’t think PS3 was a bad console at all. It had some problems for sure. But overall I don’t think PS has ever made an outright “bad” console. They’ve been pretty run of the mill but fairly consistent as a result. Nothing which ever radically deviates that’ll surprise and delight like some Nintendo consoles, but also nothing that’ll gravely disappoint like some Nintendo consoles either.

I’m all for digital only consoles now, tbh. Faster load times when games are ran from SSD, while cartridges are stuck at HDD speeds. Granted, that’s also the case for micro SD, but hopefully next gen Switch 2 will go with SD Express to increase read speeds from around 100 mbps to 1,000 mbps. As for the carts, they’ll have to either install to internal storage or SD like other systems do, or use more expensive high speed carts. Which will only serve to push developers away from physical and go all digital anyways, or mandate significant downloads. Idk. I’d rather not have games hamstrung by physical media. I like physical, I am an avid collector, but above all else I am a gamer, and when the two are diametrically opposed, I choose the games rather than than the shelf.

Then again, it’s not that big a difference between load times when games are programmed well. Tests for Steam Deck running games on micro SD vs NVMe only showed 10-15 seconds difference in most AAA games. So it’s not the end of the world if they stick with running games from cart. But I do think they should increase the speed to match SD express. That would at least be 1.5X the speed of traditional SATA SSDs which were mainstream before NVMe blew up.

I did choose the disc version PS5 because I like the option, even though I’m digital only on that system. But I’m perfectly OK with systems being digital only such as Steam Deck. If the switch was able to release a digital only Lite that was a bit slimmer I’d be interested, though I’m not sure how much smaller it would be given the size of the cartridge slot wouldn’t be much space saved.

PLAYING
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

TheFrenchiestFry

@JaxonH The PS3 holds a special place in my heart since it's the first PlayStation I ever owned. It had a really infamously rough start but around 2008 or 2009 it started getting really good, which was also coincidentally around the time Microsoft was seemingly trying to get some of that Wii money by targeting 360 towards more casual folk with the introduction of Kinect and whatnot. Everything after Metal Gear Solid 4 dropped imo was when Sony really turned that console around, and bookending it with Last of Us was an incredible send off for that console

I'd say it's the PlayStation that's been rapidly getting more appreciation as time has gone on and has kind of endured the best for how much flack it initially received. It's also the one that made me a bonafide PS fan which led me to getting all of their consoles and handhelds from then on

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

gcunit

TheFrenchiestFry wrote:

I'd say it's the PlayStation that's been rapidly getting more appreciation as time has gone on and has kind of endured the best for how much flack it initially received.

IDK. The PS3 isn't far off feeling like the Wii U in terms of redundancy. So many games in my PS3 collection have been re-released on later platforms, or were PS2 games in the first place. And the consensus I keep seeing is that multi-plats from that gen generally run better on the 360. There's not much I'd miss from my PS3 collection if it disappeared.

Want in on a family group for cheap NSO membership? Email [email protected]

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Ralizah

PS3 was roundly inferior to the Xbox 360 in most regards. 360 had:

• better exclusives (obviously subjective, but I've never been too impressed by ND's output)
  • better performing multiplats
  • a lower price tag (early on, at least)
  • superior indie game support

To the PS3's credit, its lineup of PS1/PS2 Classics was incredible, and obviously Sony chose wisely in the format wars that gen by backing bluray.

It's easily the most disposable of the Playstation consoles, though.

Currently Playing: WarioWare: Get it Together! (NS)

Upcoming
The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve (NS)
God of War (PS4)
Tetris Effect (NS)

HotGoomba

gcunit wrote:

So many games in my PS3 collection have been re-released on later platforms, or were PS2 games in the first place.

There's not much I'd miss from my PS3 collection if it disappeared.

Ralizah wrote:

(The Xbox 360 had) better exclusives (obviously subjective, but I've never been too impressed by ND's output)

Whines in Ratchet and Clank

No but really, this line is just wrong:

It's easily the most disposable of the Playstation consoles, though.

Even though it has PS1 backwards compatibility, some models have PS2 BC as well, most PS2 games you'd want would be on the PS3, it has some really good games stuck on the platform (most notably the majority of the R&C PS3 games, the R&C collection, Puppeteer, Metal Gear Solid 4), and it didn't have Kinect.

Edited on by HotGoomba

You've been warned

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic