Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 55,841 to 55,860 of 69,963

link3710

@BruceCM @Ralizah Doesn't Nintendo also own a significant portion of both IS and Camelot? I know when it comes to HAL they have significant (but not majority) ownership from when they rescued them from bankruptcy back in 91. I want to say the same thing happened when they rescued Camelot in the late 90s, and Intelligent Systems was literally created on Nintendo's request to make games for them (a la Sora Ltd and Genius Sorority), so it wouldn't surprise me there either.

We also know they own a good chunk of Creatures and GameFreak (+TPC). Good-Feel I assume they don't, considering that Good-Feel seems to have stopped making Nintendo published titles. That only really leaves Vanpool, which I'd assume Nintendo doesn't have any significant hold of either? I'm not really sure there.

So yeah, I'd say it's something like:

1st: EPD, NST, NERD, Monolith, Next Level Games, Retro, 1-Up, NDCube
'1st': Intelligent Systems, HAL Laboratory, GameFreak, Genius Sorority, Sora Ltd., Creatures, Camelot
'3rd': Good-Feel, Vanpool,
3rd: Bandai-Namco, Brace Yourself Games, Koei-Tecmo, indieszero etc

...on an earlier note, I looked up EPD's output while I was double-checking my facts, and saw something crazy about their output that might be useful.
2016 (first full year): 9 games, 4 of which were co-developed with other companies
2017: 8 games, 3 co-developed
2018: 5 games, 3 co-developed
2019: 8 games, 4 co-developed
2020: 2 games, 1 co-developed
2021 (so far): 2 games, 1 co-developed
2022 (so far): 1 game (Splatoon 3)
TBA: 1 game (BOTW 2)

I think these numbers show exactly what people are talking about. EPD has gone incredibly silent compared to their former output. Which brings up the question... just what has EPD been doing?

Edited on by link3710

link3710

jump

@link3710 Nah, Camelot isn’t owned by Ninty. They signed an exclusive agreement with Nintendo back in the 90s and I’m assuming it’s been renewed ever since.

Ninty doesn’t own Game Freak. The Pokemon Company is a joint venture between Ninty, Game Freak and Creatures who all own it.

Good Feel aren’t Ninty owned and are still making games for Nintendo as they have a new samurai themed Switch game coming out this year.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

link3710

@jump I didn't say they were majoratively owned. But I'm pretty sure they own a significant chunk of their stocks, at least 10%, since we know they bought a ton of stocks to bail them out.

And Nintendo owns a significant stake in both GameFreak and Creatures. We don't know what that stake is other than it's less than 50%, but it is known to exist.

And Good-Feel's been making exclusively Nintendo published titles for over a decade, but recently the last couple games (including the samurai one) are no longer Nintendo published or focused on Nintendo owned IP.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

link3710

@ok1 Second party isn't an actual game development term though. Or well it is, but second party refers to the consumer.

link3710

kkslider5552000

I find the discussion of validity of first party games being first party games to be largely meaningless. If Nintendo is spending that money to get people to make a video game, that they own the IP of, that is exclusive to them, its a Nintendo game. It doesn't matter beyond that point. The only arguable ones are very specific weird examples like SE being apparently unable to publish video games in North America.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

JaxonH

I have found such discussion to be a fruitless endeavor. Like, well... if you disqualify this, this and that, and these other games over here for reasons X, Y and Z, the lineup totally sucks!

Well, ya. When you start disqualifying games you can wind up at whatever conclusion you want. If you neglect all 3rd party games, and all ports regardless of whether someone has played them or has interest in playing again, and all games contracted by Nintendo as exclusives... gee it would suck! Well, ya. I imagine it would. Negating 95% of the best games and only having access to the few remaining “qualifying” titles certainly would. Good thing that’s not the case.

As for only first party, I don’t think any platform is meant to only provide 1st party games (even less so if those first party games are held to a stringent standard of “qualification”), and since there aren’t any platforms that completely lack third-party games, I find such discussion futile. We’re not confined to only 1st party games, so why hypothesize about a reality in which that would be the case? That would suck on any platform, even in their best years. Because even in a banger year with a half dozen 100% 1st party exclusives that are all top shelf, that’s still only six games for the entire year. So saying it would suck to only have first party is kind of like saying the sky is blue. Of course it is. We saw that in the Wii U era. 2014-2015 were tent pole years for 1st party, but even then there was a lot of complaints about it not being enough without 3rd party (fortunately many of us had 3DS to supplement, but any Wii U only owner knows firsthand that even the best 1st party lineups still fall short.

That said, Super Mario 3D World is one of my favorite 3D platformers of all time, and Mario Golf is one of my most anticipated titles, as I LOVE golf video games, and Wii Sports Golf and Mario Golf World Tour on 3DS are my two favorites. This looks like a combination of them both. New Pokémon Snap is decent enough- not on my all time fave list, but as a screenshot addict that’s spent as much time photographing monsters in MH Rise as hunting them, Pokémon Snap is appreciated. And Zelda Skyward Sword HD is a dream come true. I’ve been wanting to play this game for years but didn’t want to deal with the 480p of Wii U, or mapping motion to a controller on Dolphin. I tried several times. So it’s also very high on the list. I suppose we have no idea what the rest of the year will look like so there’s no sense speculating, especially since Nintendo usually doesn’t announce things until a few months prior nowadays. And I suppose if I was artificially constrained to only playing Mario 3D World, New Pokémon Snap, Mario Golf and Zelda Skyward Sword, I would be disappointed. I’d be equally disappointed only playing a Spiderman DLC, Demons Souls remake and Returnal on PS5. And even more disappointed playing... uhm... whatever it is Xbox has released (nothing?) these past 5 months. Good thing gamers don’t have to stick to only playing 100% in-house developed first party games!

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

kkslider5552000

Imagine only playing first party games, couldn't be me. Not since 2009 when NSMBWii sold 80 billion copies and Little King's Story and Muramasa the Demon Blade combined probably sold 80 (something I will die mad about). A lot of my favorite games are Nintendo IP, but they're just one single video game company. More good games come out in a month than Nintendo has ever released in one year, I'm pretty sure. And the majority of those games that people liked were still worked on by other people at other companies, pretty much SINCE the Rareware days.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

WoomyNNYes

There's the Switch Pro tablet guys!🤪
two seconds in. Almost no bezel.
(although it's not hd tv proportions, so that probably rules this out as plausible.)

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Buizel

I don't believe I've ever played Zombies Ate My Neighbours...but somehow it feels nostalgic to me?

Might pick this one up and give it a try.

At least 2'8".

jump

I thought Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Ghoul Patrol were separate releases but they are combined, great value!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Grumblevolcano

@WoomyNNYes Interesting, LucasArts games being brought back are going beyond Star Wars now.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NintendoByNature

Wow I never played the sequel, this is awesome news. June's getting loaded.

NintendoByNature

BruceCM

It's also up in Game, with a TBC date, @Grumblevolcano.... Whether that's because they haven't been given the info or forgotten to update it, it'll have to be adjusted soon if it is 28th

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Grumblevolcano

@BruceCM That was up when the initial announcement happened back in February.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

BruceCM

Well, that still suggests they definitely expect it to come, @Grumblevolcano.... I'm sure we'll soon get confirmation if it is, though

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic