Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 54,881 to 54,900 of 69,993

Galaxyman88

Sony are pretty much done with Japan at this point. I can’t really blame them since they have more success in the west. I don’t get why people doesn’t understand this?

For me the Switch is only used for Nintendo games only. Handheld doesn’t matter to me that much. To get me to buy third party games on switch it needs achievements system and way better online.

Edited on by Galaxyman88

Galaxyman88

Ralizah

99% of my gaming diet is non-Western AAA games, so I play most stuff on the Switch.

I wouldn't play something like Wolfenstein on the Switch. I did play part of The Witcher 3 and all of the Blood and Wine expansion on that system, but it's definitely not the optimal platform for it.

For me, Switch is my one-stop shop for modern indies, Japanese AA releases, and exclusives.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

gcunit

Galaxyman88 wrote:

Sony are pretty much done with Japan at this point. I can’t really blame them since they have more success in the west. I don’t get why people doesn’t understand this?

I don't get why people seem to be insisting that Sony has no interest in portables or Japan. Just because current evidence suggests a trend away from portables and Japan, wherever there are games to be sold in decent numbers a games company is going to be interested. The trend is not irreversible. The influence of Japan upon the games industry shouldn't need explaining here, and to think that Sony is just permanently turning its back on that does not sit right with me.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

sixrings

@gcunit I mean Japan has a population of 130 million. Europe 750 million. NA 400 million. I’m sure Sony can survive without Japan just as Microsoft has and I wish Nintendo were more western friendly.

sixrings

Ralizah

Sony's corporate Americanization was probably inevitable, but it still saddens me as a long-time fan.

It's probably only a matter of time before the same thing happens to Nintendo. At that point, I think, I'll be done with buying consoles, and will become a dedicated retro gamer. I think we at least have a few more generations before that happens, though.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

kkslider5552000

I kinda doubt it. If anything, this feels like Sony being kind of out of step with the times. I could understand them (if not agree with them) doing this in the PS3 era but...now? Japanese gaming stopped being uncool again by the time the Switch came out, so I find it to be just kind of odd (or they just know most of the big budget Japanese games will end up on their console regardless of their own releases, which is not necessarily inaccurate).

Also, I can't imagine Nintendo pandering to an audience for too long, unless that audience is the people who work at Nintendo.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

JaxonH

There are a number of reasons Sony won’t make another handheld, many of which have already been touched on.

But one of the key reasons is, they do not have the capability to support both a home console and a handheld, much less a home console, VR and handheld.

This is partly why Nintendo failed with their consoles for so long. Yes, they made other mistakes. But the game droughts were also a big part of it. They just didn’t have the means to support two completely independent systems with their best games at a pace fast enough to keep momentum going. They would have to favor one at the expense of the other, and then when momentum started on one, they switched back over to the other... there’s a reason they finally decided to make a hybrid, where they can release a handheld only version of it and sell it as a $200 handheld to the people who were previously buying their handhelds, but also sell it as a console to the people who were previously buying their consoles, while also drawing in megatons of new consumer interest due to the fact it’s a 3-in-1 hybrid device.

Sony ran into the same problem. They couldn’t support Vita and PS3/PS4 at the same time. You could point to the PSP, but that was a rare era in gaming when even Nintendo had both a successful handheld and console. That was the exception, not the rule. Sony does not have the resources to make top-shelf, A-tier games for two platforms simultaneously. They manage VR because it requires far fewer development resources due to lack of competition and a lower standard from consumers due to the fact not that many great games are made in VR compared to traditional style gaming.

The only way Sony will ever break back into the handheld market is if they themselves decide to go with a hybrid system. And that’s not something they’re going to do in the next 15 years. However. The day will come in a few generations time, where the generational leap is so hard to discern, they could practically make a hybrid system with comparable graphics to their current system but which offers gaming on the go also. It would be a lateral move in terms of power, like Switch was a lateral move from Wii U in terms of power, but nobody would care at that point because a forward jump wouldn’t really produce anything that discernible anyways. That’s where the market will ultimately head. But that’s not going to happen anytime soon. Not until they can get away with a lateral generational move while still offering visual fidelity comparable to Xbox.

@urrutiap
Basically everything.

I own a PC (2080 ti) and a PS5, Switch and Switch Lite. I buy every single good game that comes to Switch... on the Switch. Unless it’s a very compromised version due to being too much for the system to handle (think Outer Worlds), or something I think just won’t ever release on Switch, I play it on the Switch.

Everything from 1st party titles (Mario 3D World, Odyssey and 3D All Stars, Pikmin 3, Zelda BotW 1, 2 and Skyward Sword, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2, Splatoon 2 and 3, Luigi’s Mansion 3, DKC Tropical Freeze, Pokémon Let’s Go, Sword/Shield, Diamond/Pearl and Legends, Mario Golf, etc) to 3rd party exclusives (Monster Hunter Rise, Monster Hunter Stories 2, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Shin Megami Tensei V, Rune Factory 5, Astral Chain, Bayonetta 2 and 3, Octopath Traveler, Bravely Default 2, Triangle Strategy, Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Ultra Street Fighter II, Daemon X Machina, Marvel vs Capcom Ultimate 3, etc) to 3rd party Multiplats (Sniper Elite 4, Persona 5 Strikers, Trails of Cold Steel 3 and 4, Ys VIII and Ys IX, Romance of Three Kingdoms XIV, Bioshock Collection, Borderlands Collection, Burnout Paradise, Okami HD, Catherine Full Body, Crash 4, Dark Souls, Skyrim, Tony Hawk 1/2, Diablo 2 and 3, Doom Eternal, Witcher 3, DQ Builders 2, Dragon Quest XI S, Ni No Kuni, Divinity OS2, AI Somnium Files, Dragon’s Dogma, Resident Evil 0, 1, 4, 5, 6, Revelations 1/2 and RE Outrage, Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4, Assassins Creed Rebel Collection, Metro Redux, XCOM 2, Civilization VI, Saints Row 4, Tales of Vesperia, Trials Rising, Final Fantasy X/X-2, Final Fantasy XII, etc, to Indie titles (Cuphead, Ori Blind Forest and Ori Will of the Wisps, Hades, Bloodstained RotN, Bastion, Gnosia, Hollow Knight, Undertale, Stardew Valley, Shantae Seven Sirens, Steamworld Dig 2, Hyper Light Drifter, Unravel Two, Streets of Rage 4, Super Meat Boy, Thomas Was Alone, Braid, Transistor, Limbo and Inside, to Retro and Throwback Classics (Shiren the Wanderer, Romancing SaGa 2, 3, Scarlet Grace and Frontier, Panzer Dragoon Remake, PacMan Championship demake, Mega Man Legacy Collections 1/2, Mega Man X Collections 1/2, Mega Man Zero/ZX Collection and Mega Man 11, Doom 1, 2 and 64, Lumines Remastered, Grandia HD Collection, Dragon Quest 1, 2 and 3, Castlevania Collection, Samurai Showdown Collection, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9, Duke Nukem 3D, DMC 1, 2 and 3, Ghosts and Goblins Resurrection, Collection of Mana, etc).

The only games I felt weren’t best played on Switch were Witcher 3, Immortals Fenyx Rising, Doom and Doom Eternal and Wolfenstein 2 (we don’t talk about Outer Worlds, it’s just not good on Switch). And for these select games, I did buy them on Steam (except Immortals, still waiting on the Steam release there). But, I still bought them on Switch too because they’re absolutely amazing to have as handheld titles (and admittedly, I’ve put more time into the Switch version of all these titles, barring Wolfenstein 2). Especially Witcher 3 and Doom Eternal. And with Witcher 3 and Immortals Fenyx Rising having cross save with PC, it’s best of both worlds. So even the ones that are really pared back for the system, even they are so fun to play when you’re not at home that I still wanted to have them on the Switch. And Doom Eternal on a Switch Lite, playing at my desk at work? Hoo boy, lemme tell ya. No other game have I ever played on a handheld device that has given me the adrenaline rush that Doom Eternal provides on a Switch Lite with gyro.

But ya. Switch is preferable for 95% of the games which release on the system. Games of all kinds. The graphical downgrades for most of them are minimal, while the entertainment value gained from the hybrid advantage is immeasurable. The only type of game I feel doesn’t work well for Switch, is FPS when it doesn’t offer gyro. Thankfully, most of them do. But RPGs and strategy titles are a special kind of game for Switch. As is Monster Hunter. MH Rise is going to be one for the history books.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ninfan

Can i add storage to a switch eternally ?

Ninfan

urrutiap

for Resident Evil 0 for my Switch Lite, last night i had to change the game's controls to Option D which felt similar to the Gamecube

urrutiap

Galaxyman88

@Shadowthrone My point is that Sony have pretty much moved on. Ignoring Japan doesn’t have any consequences for them. Especially with Japanese population decline.

Anyway this is off-topic.

Edited on by Galaxyman88

Galaxyman88

kkslider5552000

Being with the times is not an automatic guarantee of popularity or not. Some stuff of the times completely failed, and some stuff not of the times were massively successful.

It just says that PS4 had incredible momentum and was able to keep it for PS5's initial launch, with presumably some help from Xbox Series X being less appealing and lacking Halo at launch. That's it.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Anti-Matter

Ninfan wrote:

Can i add storage to a switch eternally ?

One answer, CANNOT.

Anti-Matter

Galaxyman88

@kkslider5552000 “ Being with the times is not an automatic guarantee of popularity or not. Some stuff of the times completely failed, and some stuff not of the times were massively successful.”

And? Nothing in life is guaranteed. Being stuck in the past doesn’t help either.

Edited on by Galaxyman88

Galaxyman88

JaxonH

You guys talk as if the two are mutually exclusive. Like you can only have one or the other. Switch has shown you can have both. Past generations of Sony showed you can have both. So it can definitely be done.

Not that I care either way. Let them do whatever they want to do. I’m not invested in the company. They wanna ignore Japan, then have at it. I’m sure Nintendo will gladly take those 25 million JP console sales in their stead. Nintendo said screw VR, it’s all yours. Sony said screw handhelds, it’s all yours. Everyone has their niche. And that’s a good thing. I don’t want Nintendo trying to copy with Sony does, and I don’t want Sony copying what Nintendo does. They each offer different types of products that help diversify choice in the market for gamers, and that’s a good thing.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

jedgamesguy

To people saying Sony and Nintendo don't need Japanese sales because of their small population (@sixrings) you're objectively and subjectively misguided. I'm sure there's people who can do a much better job explaining it but such a large proportion of people game in Japan compared to in other countries that the Japanese console market is as important as any other. @Galaxyman88 Just because they're selling fast doesn't necessarily mean they're "with the times". And as above there is a legitimately sizeable market in Japan, that for the moment Xbox has failed to enter.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Galaxyman88

@TheJGG Dude, Sony and Microsoft doesn’t really need Japan at the end of it all. If you want to believe Japan is still important, then be my guest.

“ Japanese console market is as important as any other.”

What console market? Japan doesn’t care about consoles like they used to. Frankly it’s waste of time and resources to even catering to Japanese people. Only handheld and mobile are popular there, not consoles.

Edited on by Galaxyman88

Galaxyman88

Anti-Matter

@Galaxyman88
I played a lot of casual / kids games, rhythm games, almost every games i bought are mostly made by Japanese developers. Only a few games i played are developed by Western developers.
Japan is very important for gaming.
I played DDR, Para Para Paradise, Drummania, K-1, Beatmania IIDX, Final Fantasy, Bishi Bashi, Bokujou Monogatari, Nippon Columbia games, Bomberman, Minna no series by Taito, etc.
They are made by Japanese developers.

Anti-Matter

MarioVillager92

@Ninfan You can. You just need to get a microSD card for that. There are microSD cards that are especially licensed for use with the Switch as well (you'll know since they have the Nintendo Switch logo on them), so I recommend getting one of those.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic