Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 54,761 to 54,780 of 70,006

jedgamesguy

JaxonH wrote:

The truth of the matter is, it feels hard when you haven’t learned the games mechanics properly and don’t have any experience, but once you do, the challenge starts feeling “just right”. Not so easy that it bores you to tears but not so hard that it makes you frustrated and you can’t advance. The game is very generous by giving you three full carts before you fail a quest, and you can heal whenever you want and even run back to camp to restock if needed. Once you acquire a basic level of skills, the difficulty won’t be so much in hitting a wall you can’t bust down but rather, in your clear times. I’ll just take you a little longer (maybe considerably longer).

Monster hunters difficulty is more in the complexity of its systems than it actually is in the combat itself. That’s not to say it’s an easy game. It’s challenging enough to keep my interest. But the real difficulty doesn’t really start until end game. And by the time you reach endgame you have amazing armor and you have developed your skill set to a point where you need the difficulty to keep you engaged.

It might feel hard at first but it’s only because you’re still acclimating to everything and you might feel a little overwhelmed with all the systems and mechanics that are thrown at you in the early game. But if you just push through that, once you get a few hunts under your belt and learn your weapon and the basic gameplay loop, you’ll realize it’s not that hard of a game. It’s really well-balanced with difficulty to where newcomers can totally get into the series (unlike a game such as Dark Souls which crucifies new players without mercy), and gradually progress with a difficulty curve that slowly ramps up to endgame.

@JaxonH That's extremely encouraging! It might as well be mentioned that I'm a very fast player. Even when I take my time I still end up finishing longer video games ten hours faster than the average player. Maybe because I'm a quick learner when it comes to RPG mechanics and combat. If that's true then I'm confident I'll immensely enjoy MH Rise. That it's considered one of the easier games in the series is also encouraging.

I only get one game per month, and so far it's been a dismal time for my Switch; in September I got Mario 3D All-Stars, in November I got Age of Calamity, in December I got Trials of Mana and Animal Crossing: New Horizons, and in February I got 3D World. March, I've already made my mind up for Persona 5 Strikers, and April, I'm going to get MH: Rise. Then my wallet can recover from the shock before Skyward Sword.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Slinkoy1

I’m just gonna say it now, Apex legends sucks with joy con drift. Let me tell you the backstory of my joy cons first, so I have only had my switch for a year, and these are the original ones, I originally was experiencing slight downwards drift with the right one, then the left one had super severe drift to the left, to where I couldn’t even recover back to the stage in smash, so I had to do a hiatus from that game for awhile, but then that fixed itself, and now I have had severe downwards drift on my right, for the last 2 months, where in smash it keeps on randomly doing down smashes, or not Ariel’s, cause it’s trying to input down air drift, and neutral air a button at the same time. With that out of the way, I have lost every round so far, mainly cause I’m a noob, but when I try to fight somebody, my controller decides “hey we should shoot the floor”. If anybody has any solutions for fixing it without takin* the controller apart I would like to know! P.s I already tried calibrating 5 times in a row, and that didn’t do anything.

Edited on by Slinkoy1

Hi

jump

@Slinkoy1 you can try isopropyl alcohol on a cotton swab to clean under the stick's rubber flap, sometimes the dift is caused by dirt and grease getting in there so this helps get rid of it. There's probably a Youtube clip somewhere showing you how to do it.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Ralizah

@Slinkoy1 @jump The alcohol + cotton swab method has worked to remove joycon drift for every person I've recommended it to IRL.

You don't really need youtube. Just soak the cotton swab, have someone use tweezers to lift up the flap, scrub under it, do this on all sides until it's saturated, move the stick around to get an even coating, and then leave it for ten minutes or so before recalibrating your sticks.

A friend with particularly drifty sticks had to repeat the process a couple of times before it worked, but he hasn't reported any joycon drift for months now.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Grumblevolcano

MH Rise is doing pretty well on Amazon US sales rankings, currently #32 across all gaming with the only upcoming games beating it being Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl.

Not looking good on the UK front as it's not even in the top 100 Switch games but as a result, UK retailers (even GAME) now have the physical price £10 cheaper than the eshop release.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

UK is such a tiny market, and the Nintendo Switch sales it does see is almost all 1st party. There wasn't a 3DS or Wii U fanbase there that got into MH, so I doubt there's much of a MH fanbase on Nintendo in the UK. But again, it's such a teeny, tiny insignificant slice of the global market, I wouldn't worry about that. As long as US and JP sales are strong, with the rest of EU pulling its weight, it'll be fine.

I saw a poll on the MH subreddit yesterday asking how many are buying Rise on Switch, how many are waiting for PC, how many are buying both, and how many are skipping altogether.

93.5% said they were buying on Switch, with 80% saying they were only buying on Switch. Only 6.5% said they were waiting for the PC version.

Such is the power of a hybrid AAA Monster Hunter. And, some of that may just be people not wanting to wait, but even so, it really does speak to the demand for hybrid MH.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Magician

Even though Sony's MLB The Show went multiplatform this year, there was no Switch announcement alongside the Xbox announcement last month. The lack of a Switch port rubbed me kind of raw. But that's alright, Konami's next baseball game is looking pretty awesome. Although, since Konami's the publisher, this will probably remain exclusive to Japan only.

sigh

Maybe the Switch will get MLB The Show...next year?

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

JaxonH

That roar was probably just Chameleos. But assuming it wasn't, it sounds like Brachydios and Lagiacrus as much as it does Gore Magala.

All that to say, don't get your hopes up. We know we're getting like 4-6 new monsters via free updates, but I'm not convinced we're getting Gore Magala. But if nothing else, the inevitable Ultimate expansion and following free updates mean there's a decent chance we see him before its all said and done.

I just want Seregios, Gore Magala, Brachydios, Seltas Queen and Astalos.

Would love to see Great Jaggie, but no way they release a starter monster as DLC.

@Magician
It'll come eventually. If nothing else, next year for sure. That said, I love Konami's other baseball game. That cartoonish one. Wish it would get localized so bad.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

@JaxonH I think most MH fans are just going to buy the newest MH game wherever it becomes available instead of having to wait a year. The ones who aren't World babies will be fine with the idea of playing on a handheld, after all.

I'd be more curious to see how the numbers divide on Stories 2, which launches on Steam at the same time as Switch.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I definitely think that’s true to an extent, but judging by the fact Steam accounted for basically half the sales of World- or at least, the same amount PS4 did, even despite them not mentioning the PC version until after release and not coming until 9 months later, I still find it rather shocking such a high percentage are buying on Switch. If the same trend applied, we’d expect to see more along the lines of 50%. Especially with people knowing about it in advance.

There’s likely some bias in the sample group. It came from the MH subreddit which encompasses all games in the series and for a while, was mostly World fans, but I imagine with Rise coming up, many who aren’t interested in Switch may have stopped frequenting the subreddit. So I’m sure there’s some skew to account for there.

Even so, I think the numbers speak to the appeal of not just portable MH (which in and of itself is popular) but hybrid MH. Then again, when World released, most PC players hadn’t tried it for themselves, so it was probably easier waiting. Now that they’ve tasted that sweet nectar, they need it, and they need it now. Either way, it’s a good thing seeing such overwhelming interest in the Switch version. It means the series has a bright future on hybrid consoles in the years to come.

Stories 2 looks so good. I’m blown away. I really wasn’t expecting them to make a sequel. When the leak dropped they were working on both, I almost didn’t want to dare to hope. But it’s real, and it looks better than I ever imagined it would. What a year 2021 is turning out to be!

Edited on by JaxonH

FragRed

@Magician I wonder if they planned to bring it Switch but due to time constraints and the power difference, decided to wait until next release especially if a new revised Switch is available by then. It’s odd that Nintendo retweeted the initial announcement if the game wasn’t to come to the system so something must have caused the developers to backtrack.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Socar

I honestly think that Tegra X1 Mariko production ending rumor is just bogus. Even if true, Nintendo would most likely request Nvidia to either continue the production of the chipset or to manufacture a similar CPU that does not do so much of the power.

I mean really, how can this even remotely be a valid thing to do for Nvidia? And there are no official statements made anyways so rumors are just rumors.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

jump

Did anyone else notice on that Sega survey the other day they were asking alot about anime? Most of the ones they mentioned were already licenced out like Dragon Ball, One Piece etc so do people reckon it's possible they have their eye on another anime IP and are trying to figure how well it could do in the West before going for it?

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Magician

@jump

With the launch of PSO 2 NG right around the corner, I assume there'll be an anime alongside it.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

link3710

@Socar Literally the only product still using Mariko is the Switch, so if it's ending production it's because Nintendo said they didn't need it.

link3710

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic