Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 54,721 to 54,740 of 69,962

Giancarlothomaz

@JaxonH yes that make sense that Nintendo would anounce the rumored and higly antecipated Switch Pro around novembre/january to release in march, this make completely sense, with the statement of Shuntaro Furukawa, they want to extend Switch lifecycle, a revised more powerful model of Switch with a lot of higly antecipated such as you mentioned is gonna make the Switch surpass the Wii and become closer to surpass the Game Boy.

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

JaxonH

@kkslider5552000
Ikr.

Honestly, as much as we all love Iwata, he wasn’t a business person. He was a game developer. And a quirky, Nintendo one at that.

With Furukawa at the helm now, and Koizumi leading hardware design, I feel like we’re in a new era of Nintendo, where they stop slinging ideas at the wall to see what sticks, they stop greedily milking sales until all momentum is lost before refreshing hardware to keep hype going, and they start putting more of a focus on more cutting edge technology.

They’ve got the Switch now, arguably the best idea they’ve ever had in the history of their company and gaming in general, so they don’t need to keep flip-flopping all over the place with different ideas that fundamentally change the core idea of the system. Regardless of what they may have said at the time, no company likes uncertainty and unpredictability. Every company wants to know they have a future that they can reasonably depend on. And that’s even more true now that they only have one hardware line. And so I expect the aimless wandering Nintendo of yesteryear to settle down with the Switch and start building a long term fanbase, long term 3rd party partners and a reliable future.

I expect they will start adopting a more Sony-like approach of never letting momentum stop. They’ve tried and tried, over and over, to let momentum die down to milk all the sales they can before pushing a new model on the market. And time and time again it’s come back to bite them in the rear end. I think they’re tired of it, and I think they have learned that they need a change in strategy because it’s more important now than ever that they keep sales momentum strong. And Furukawa even recently said, “every year is do or die for us”. FINALLY. They finally get it. No more Nintendo resting on its laurels. No more, “eh, we don’t need a Wii HD, just let the sales peter out until people stop buying it, and then we’ll cobble something together”. No more, “eh, DS sold 154 million, we can price this 240p handheld at $250 when our HD home console will cost $300”.

And I think we’re seeing Nintendo finally embrace more cutting edge tech. Obviously that doesn’t mean they’re looking to slap a 3090 in their next system, but they are modernizing their systems more than they typically have in the past few generations. Switch was originally going to have a 480p screen with 1GB RAM. They instead went with 720p screen and 4GB RAM, and a much more powerful chip. Now we’re hearing of OLED and possible 4k via DLSS. Which, by Nintendo standards, is pretty freaking bleeding edge tech. Heck, by any standards that’s bleeding edge. Not even PS5/XS can do DLSS right now (there is supposed to be an update in the spring that allows them the capability using AMD’s version of it since their chips are already compatible, but that just goes to show the technology is being adopted and has merit... that said, it took Nvidia quite a while ironing out kinks with DLSS 1.0 which wasn’t that good, and finally released 2.0 which we have today- I have to wonder how long AMD will have to iterate until it gets it right).

I, for one, am very relieved to finally see this new Nintendo emerge from the ashes of Wii U and the failed blue ocean strategy.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Magician

Nintendo will have to rebrand their retail boxart for these Switch revision exclusive games. A big banner on the box that says "only playable on Switch 2" or whatever they'll call it. For fear of accusations of false advertising, if nothing else. How many casual gamers will purchase a Switch-revision-exclusive game, get it home only to find it won't work on their stock Switch?

More than a few I'd wager.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

JaxonH

@Magician
Same thing was said about New 3DS. And they did. I don’t recall any major issues. It said “New Nintendo 3DS ONLY” on the box. I imagine it’ll say something similar in a big banner across the top. “Only Playable on New Nintendo Switch Console”. Cause you know that’s what they’ll call it lol. Cant go with Super Switch or something cool.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Magician

(random)

Turning down for the night. Browsing Opencritic for highly rated games I've never heard of. Wishlist them in case they ever get a deep discount. A few standouts: Heroes of Hammerwatch (twin stick / rpg / rogue), Littlewood (sim life), Crimzon Clover (shmup).

https://opencritic.com/browse/switch

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

BenAV

@Magician I played Littlewood over last weekend. Originally grabbed it to play in small doses in between Corpse Party but ended up bingeing 30 hours of it in a few days as I tend to with those sorts of games. It's pretty simple mechanically but pretty fun and addictive.

Edited on by BenAV

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

Haruki_NLI

It'll be called the Switch XL and we all know it.

Call the smaller one the Lite, call the bigger screen model the XL with XL games that only run on it.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

FragRed

@JaxonH I’d like to think Nintendo will have learned how to name their devices after the terrible disaster that was the Wii U and the awful New slapped onto the 3DS branding. But I also think how they name the new Switch model will depend on how much more beefy the insides are. If it’s not too beefy then maybe New will be applied? But if it significantly changes the power of what can be done with the system, then I’d hope for a more definitive name to suggest it’s not just a revision but the future console where in time all games will only be available and the original Switch will be phased out - kinda like a cross generation situation we are having now on PS5/Xbox Series S/X if you get what I mean.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I could see 1 of 2 approaches happen:

• The outcome you suggested with January 2021 reveal, Nintendo heavily relies on Smash as well as 3rd parties for Switch news over the summer/fall via Partner Showcases meanwhile there's a Zelda Direct around September which reveals the 1st party fall/holiday lineup to be ports.
  • Nintendo has a big general Direct around June/July which reveals the final 2 Smash characters, the new Switch revision, BotW 2 gameplay debut and a lot of info in general for games launching after Skyward Sword HD up to Spring 2022.

In some situations an earlier reveal may benefit Nintendo more overall.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano Nintendo’s biggest concern is going to be fighting for the spotlight against the two nee consoles from Sony and Microsoft whereas with the Switch reveal and launch, they were up against old hardware that was entering the final cycle of the lifespan. So I’m curious how Nintendo will aim to market this revision/upgrade. And I’m curious how they’ll price it too.

I personally think Nintendo will launch it at the start of next year as March worked well last time and it avoids competing against Sony and Microsoft with their still hard to find shiny new toys. However, it maybe Nintendo want it out sooner if they think Switch sales could start to slow down and lose momentum. As @JaxonH said, Nintendo won’t want that to happen again. Their aim should be to keep it strong.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed I think in both approaches I mentioned the launch would be March 2022, just that in the 2nd case it being revealed like 8-9 months before launch.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano Apologies, I got a bit confused but I understand what you’re saying now. I’m not sure Nintendo would announce a new revision 8 to 9 months prior to launch, especially at a time when your current hardware is still selling incredibly strong. Feel they also won’t want to cannibalise that lucrative holiday season. I think your first suggestion is most accurate that they’ll announce it in January and get it out the door 2 months later in March.

Grumblevolcano

Mario Golf Super Rush - June 25th
Monster Hunter Stories 2 - July 9th
Skyward Sword HD - July 16th

Summer is seeming crazy for Switch already and its still 3 months away so more could be announced.

Grumblevolcano

Anti-Matter

Not really crazy for me.
I have quite a lot time to build my PS2 games on this year.
BEMANI PS2 games, here i come !

Anti-Matter

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano An announcement for SMT Nocturne seems to be around the corner as well.

This year is terrible for my backlog.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

sixrings

@Ralizah probably should just stop buying games until you finish the ones you already have. Otherwise you’re just wasting money because the backlog keeps getting bigger and unless games cease to exist you’ll never catch up on them. But that’s my take. Enjoy spending your money however you choose.

sixrings

jedgamesguy

@Grumblevolcano I'm honestly only excited for Skyward Sword at the moment but I'm very intrigued by Monster Hunter Rise, so potentially two.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

Ralizah

I forgot Disgaea 6 was releasing in June as well.

Late June - July 2021 is looking like the new September 2019.

@sixrings lol If I did that, I'd have to skip an entire console generation.

The backlog does go down every year (slowly), so eventually it should even out.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic