Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 54,701 to 54,720 of 69,980

kkslider5552000

I mean, its really easy to notice. People cared about an open world Zelda game that Nintendo was doing everything they can to make it a big deal, and several other games coming out early enough. No one cares about any of the Wii U exclusives that came out between the Mario platformers, by comparison. Game and Wario is Warioware but not called Warioware and not as good. Pikmin is niche. Wonderful 101 is niche by Pikmin standards. That lego game is 1 of 800 lego games but without a 2nd brand like other lego games.

Also marketing and having to compete with 3DS and Wii's momentum dying and casuals going towards mobile blah blah blah, we don't need to repeat this discussion again. It's been said.

Ps4 mostly won by default. Ps3 was the most relevant console by the end of its lifespan, Wii U failed, Xbox One was nearly DOA and was more expensive anyway. If a next gen console exists, its easy to see what you'll choose, and it was getting all the popular games so whatever with Sony's own meh lineup. Didn't matter. People just wanted the new gen of console gaming, so they chose the one that mattered.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

JaxonH

I think Nintendo having 2 platforms and refreshing them every 5 years played a part in Nintendo fatigue, to the point people really didn’t feel the need to upgrade their Nintendo systems every generation. Because the hardware didn’t offer enough value to justify that kind of frequency to the masses. It also explains the sudden down and up of alternate gens. GameCube down, Wii up, Wii U down, Switch up. And I know there were other factors, but I think this contributed to the downs being as low as they were and the highs being as high as they were. When somebody hasn’t bought a new Nintendo platform in 10 years they might be more inclined to buy the new system. And when they just bought a Wii 5 years ago, they are less inclined to jump on Wii U.

With only one platform that lasts 7-8 years, even with one good incremental upgrade in between, that will no longer be the case.

@gcunit
I considered that possibility. But the thing that ultimately let me to believe otherwise, is the reports of Nintendo telling devs to get games 4k ready, Bloomberg reporting it will have 4k, Nate the Hate saying he knows at least one dev making a Pro exclusive because it can’t run on base hardware, and coming to the realization that a quiet v3 refresh, although it could be somewhat substantial if devoted entirely to power, would still not be anywhere close to enough to justify 4K. The only way that happens is with DLSS. So either two of those reports are wrong, or there’s something more to it. Although I am now starting to question whether it could be a combination of a Mariko v3 die shrink and supplemental power via the dock. I’m not convinced that’s the case but I’m starting to consider the possibility, at least.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

jedgamesguy

@JaxonH When I read that the developers making Switch Pro exclusive titles are third-parties, it made me very relieved. I don't remember the last time Nintendo actively screwed over their customers, but hopefully they don't take the opportunity to do so this year. I only got a new Switch after breaking my old one back in 2019, so any more revisions will permanently cripple my funds!

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

BenAV

@TheJGG It wouldn't make much sense for Nintendo to develop first party titles exclusively for the revised Switch. Way too many lost software sales in doing so and we won't even see any first party ports that are exclusive like Xenoblade for the new 3DS as the base Switch can already handle all of their previously released games just fine. The only exclusives I would expect to see are third party ports that wouldn't run on the base model as in that case it's either a 'Pro' version or no version.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

jedgamesguy

@BenAV Yeah, I wanted to buy Xenoblade 3D, but didn't want to get a New 3DS just for the game. I eventually got the New 3DS but I didn't get the game. Of course there's a significantly better edition on Switch, so I didn't really mull over that particular nuance.

One particular genre that won't thrive on Switch is racing games, because the Switch doesn't have pressure-sensitive triggers. They would have worked on GameCube because as I learnt from Super Mario 3D All-Stars, it had different levels of spray pressure.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Haruki_NLI

@JaxonH I think that's the job listing I referenced in our discussion about the future of Switch a while ago. I remember seeing it in 2020 IIRC.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

@TheJGG
Oh ya, Nintendo has no reason to do such a thing.

That only happens when a game cannot exist at an level of acceptable quality on the base system, and the base Switch can run all of Nintendo’s games already. Some might be 720p docked, but they can run.

3rd parties, on the other hand... that’s another story. But even then, I don’t expect too many exclusive games. Just the occasional one here and there. Then again, there’s so many games right on the cusp of being able to run, that maybe we’ll see more than expected. Either way, it’s as BenAV said- Pro Switch or no Switch.

@Haruki_NLI
Perhaps.

I can't remember that, but it sure makes a lot more sense in the context of all the info we have now. One more piece to the puzzle coming together.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH It'll come down to whether 3rd parties want to do an approach of base Switch gets cloud version, new Switch gets native version. There's also the situation of Microsoft, Phil Spencer likes to tease the future of Xbox with his shelves when he appears in digital events and the most recent one has a Switch:

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2021/03/industry_insider_sugges...

The Switch tease could mean stuff like more Xbox exclusives for Switch or Game Pass for Switch.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
We did hear about “like Mario on Playstation” and several leaks involving Halo on Switch. Maybe that’s finally happening? After all, it took them years to port MCC to PC, and they’re still working on it. I could see a Switch port being a multi-year project. If we got wind of it in the early stages it could be one of those things where we don’t see it and we forget about it and then it pops up 2 years later.

I’m a firm believer in, “where there’s smoke, there’s fire.” I’m also a firm believer in King Zell’s trustworthiness, before he dropped off the map and out of the leaker scene.

I could see MS putting their older Halo MCC on Switch to expose the ripe Switch fanbase to their star franchise, hoping to lead sales toward Xbox, knowing many Switch owners will buy a power console for 9th gen. Plus, MS has never really offered a handheld alternative. Ya, they have streaming, but they know as well as we do that’s a tiny sliver of the portable gaming market. Seeing Nintendo as someone to collaborate with rather than exclusively compete, they could justify portable Halo as Nintendo helping them to extend their brand’s reach.

Edited on by JaxonH

rallydefault

Yea I don't know about first-party exclusives. They'll definitely promote the New Nintendo Switch as THE way to play BotW2 and Splatoon 3 and eventually Metroid, but I doubt they'll put up a wall of exclusivity. They got away with it on the 3DS mostly, I guess, but maybe people's attention was just more divided between two consoles so any outrage was diluted. And most people couldn't look away from the wreck of the Wii U lol

I'm not very worried about third-party exclusivity either, to be honest. It's definitely gonna happen, as the rumors say, but the games that would likely require the stronger hardware will also most likely appeal to people who are chomping at the bit or at least willing to buy the updated hardware.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Slinkoy1

Man, I always love coming on here, and seeing the same five people’s wishlist for “switch pro” or whatever Bloomberg is now calling it. I just have one thing to say, 1. Can you really trust Bloomberg, after every single year, they say switch pro, and drumroll please.....nothing happens. And 2. So we now just follow what every supposed “leaker says on the internet? Like my god at this point I could go onto 4chan and say “oh my god, I got early review copy of switch pro!!!!! 4K graphics with 60000 frames per second!!! Doesn’t even change the way animal crossing looks!!!!!”And I would get famous on here. I shall finish of my rant with if Nintendo is to do this, it’s a bad decision, they saw the issue with scalpers on other new consoles, if a family that doesn’t own a switch, sees the two different versions, they are going to buy the cheaper normal switch, it will be the Wii U all over again.

Hi

JaxonH

Persona 5 Strikers is so good. I strongly recommend this game to anyone who was wanting Persona 5 on Switch, because I think this is what you guys were asking for. This is it. This practically is Persona 5 on Switch, and... maybe even better than that. I’m debating whether I actually like this game more than Persona 5. The jury is still out and I’ll definitely need to play more, but I really am enjoying the combat in this more than a turn based combat in the main game. It’s basically structured exactly like Persona 5, but with action combat integrating all the aspects of the trademark turn based combat system (like using Personas, weaknesses and strengths which cost HP or SP, all out attacks, etc). It does streamline or drop a few aspects of the main game such as the in-depth time management, so there are certainly areas where I think the main game is better, but there are a lot of areas in which I think Strikers ‘s is better.

It’s more streamlined, more fast paced, with more action, with less downtime, yet the same great characters, same great music, it’s own story which is, incredibly, just as good, the same amazing menu animations... it’s just similar in so many ways. It feels like Persona with Bayonetta combat. Basically. If you took Persona 5, swapped out turn based combat for Bayonetta style combat while infusing aspects of the traditional battle system, and streamlining the less action focused areas. That’s P5S in a nutshell. And it’s glorious.

@Slinkoy1
Yes, we can. The person sourcing info for Bloomberg is the exact same person who leaked the Mariko revision and Switch Lite, dead on in every respect. Takashi Mochizuki When this man speaks, it’s wise to listen.

They don’t say Switch Pro every single year. I think you’re confusing other outlets with Bloomberg. And when they have referenced things, it’s only been to report that their sources can confirm Nintendo is looking into better screen technology or things of that nature.

This is happening, whether people want it to or not. And that really shouldn’t come as a surprise because Nintendo has done revisions from the dawn of time. GameBoy Color. Nintendo DSi. New Nintendo 3DS. This is just the next logical step. People really think they’re just gonna sell the same system for the rest of eternity without revising the hardware? Of course they’re going to revise the hardware. It’ll be in its 5th year, likely going into its 6th year, by the time this releases- want to extend the lifespan (per Furukawa), and a hardware refresh is precisely how you do that.

By the way, nobody would pay attention to some 4Chan post claiming they got an early review copy of switch pro (we had genuine leaked images of the Switch Lite shell in April 2019 and people still didn’t believe it! “Oh that’s definitely fake” they said), and nobody would listen if you said it had 4K graphics with 60,000 frames per second either. And, for the record, nobody’s claiming any such thing now. We have reports of 720p OLED, and we have reports of 4k output, though to what capacity we can only speculate (some speculation is only logical though, as there is NO WAY they’re coming anywhere close to 4k without utlizing DLSS, which just so happens to be Nvidia’s newest breakthrough technology- a perfect Nintendo-style move to stay competitive without fully embracing the arms race). But when a major media outlet can confirm their sources in manufacturing are supplying OLED screens to Nintendo, which lines up perfectly with other reports of Nintendo investigating better screen tech like OLED and miniLED, and the same person who told us all the details of Switch Lite before it released is now telling us this new system will have 4k, which also lines up with other reports of Nintendo telling devs to get 4k ready...

You’d have to ignore the overwhelming evidence (willfully or otherwise) not to at least consider the possibility. Bloomberg isn’t the same as some anonymous 4chan post. They actually have professional sources in manufacturing, in Asia.

Edited on by JaxonH

rallydefault

I was under the impression that the rumors are now going well beyond Bloomberg, though I could be wrong.

rallydefault

Baobab

At this point this is not a rumor regarding the new switch, this is a report from two Bloomberg reporters, one familiar with samsung and the korean tech market, the other familar with the japanese tech scene and nintendo( the same guy, by the way, reported that sony is downsizing it´s japan studio more then one year ago).

What was also caused by this article that some other people dropped some additional info regarding the new switch and practically every website or youtuber missed the two most important news from that thread that make it clear what kind of upgrade we are talking about.

One insider, and one developer confirmed in the thread:
1- that it will have a new type of chip ( no more tegra X family, according to Nvida joblisting could be orin or similar)
2- it will have DLSS

Having these two points confirmed, people in the thread with good compurer and tech knowledge, came to the fallowing to conslusions:
3--> from the second point to have DLSS enabled and running , the cpu of the new switch has to have a certain power( computational capacity) or it will not run at all, and this power is similar to Xbox One. The Power Profile of the new switch while docked, when it can access even more power profile, and with DLSS running will make the new switch a machine capable of running games with a power between a PS4 and the PS4 PRO.
How close is it going to be the PS4 Pro people there still do not know because they can only guess how much RAM, Bandwith etc...the new switch will have.
Disappointing reporting on this Switch upgrade( or better to say Switch 1.5) because all the news outlets have been using this subject for numeorus articles/video/etc...and nobody actually did soem investigation on it, all the facts are very well summerized by the OP on that thread on resetera, you can all go and see it.

Baobab

Azooooz

I'd rather for Nintendo to focus on system software than hardware. A menu overhaul would be a welcome change.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

Giancarlothomaz

@JaxonH maybe this is a sign the rumored and higly antecipated Switch Pro or the Switch sucessor is gonna release with this games you just mentioned, or Nintendo just want to repeat 2017, make her 2022 lineup of games a 2017 2.0, Nintendo is too unexpected, is too hard too predict, what they gonna do this year or in 10 years.

Edited on by Giancarlothomaz

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

rallydefault

I'm glad Origami King made it on there. I really think that game is gonna slowly become a classic. There was too much noise around its launch from the "RPG or nothing" crowd and they (briefly) drowned out one of the best adventures I've ever played.

rallydefault

JaxonH

@Giancarlothomaz
It seems pretty clear now that Nintendo’s 2022 lineup is for the new model to boost momentum. New hardware revision, and multiple banger releases to keep interest high. Even if it by chance releases November 2021, the 2022 lineup will follow right after to drive sales.

But I doubt Nov 2021 is the release date. We got leaks of Switch Lite shell casing being manufactured 5 months prior to its release, and the screens won’t even go into production until summer. So assuming screens get made in June/July, system gets manufactured starting in July/August, then we’re looking at a December/January release date, assuming it follows the same 5 month pattern.

Which makes it reasonably clear to me that March 2022 is going to be the release date. Just like New 3DS, just like Nintendo Switch. Announce it in January 2022 with a 2 month lead time, hit us with a Direct showcasing all the games coming that will run better on the system, like Pokémon Legends (which needs it), Splatoon 3, Zelda BotW 2, Triangle Strategy, Bayonetta 3, Monster Hunter Rise Ultimate, maybe one more big name like Mario Kart 9, heck, perhaps even a debut of Metroid Prime 4 with a 2023 release window, toss in one or two 3rd party game exclusives that couldn’t run on the base system like Zombie Army 4 (I really suspect this is the game Nate was talking about- it fits all the descriptions given), and... well, there you have it.

So while it’s possible we see a November 2021 release (I suspect if they get Zelda ready by then they may launch early to coincide, even if it means less stockpiled for launch), I really don’t think we should expect to see this until early next year. But, we’ll see.

Edited on by JaxonH

kkslider5552000

Tbh, Switch Pro and either Pokemon Legends or more obviously BOTW2 coming out on the 5 year anniversary of the Switch seems like such an obvious idea to me, that I feel I should doubt that it will happen. Because its obvious. If Nintendo doing something is obvious, that's when the doubt should start.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic