Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 54,661 to 54,680 of 69,964

rallydefault

@MrFox
<insert internet catchphrase here followed by tongue-in-cheek self deprecating quip>

rallydefault

JaxonH

@rallydefault
I could say the same about you. The difference is, I don’t take it personal when someone has an opposing viewpoint. You on the other hand, get personally offended and lash out any time someone does not bend knee to your personal viewpoints.

Nobody’s disputing the Switch is objectively more powerful. It’s not. And IN THAT ONE RESPECT, other systems are objectively superior. But that’s not the only aspect that matters with consoles. IN OTHER RESPECTS, other systems are objectively inferior. You cannot play your PS4 games anywhere so it is an objectively inferior console in that respect. Objectively inferior, that’s a fact. You can’t dispute that. And so you have one console that’s superior in one respect, and another console that’s superior in another respect- which one matters more comes down to the individual’s preference. Why this is so hard for you to grasp is beyond me.

I have to start considering the possibility it is because you do not want to grasp it. That you feel the need to believe PC is the “best” platform. Starting to sound like PCMR rhetoric.

@skywake
Getting it on PC is more rational given I can play it at higher resolutions and refresh rates across multiple machines. But I will pick up less demanding games and/or games that lend themselves to portable play on Switch give

Ya. More rational for you. Not for everyone. Because you have your personal preferences and your personal preferences are that you value resolution and refresh rates more than you value portability and the hybrid advantage. So ya, for you, that’s logical. For others, that’s not logical. For others, the logical choice is always Switch given they can play the exact same games and have just as much fun, yet do it anywhere.

It just comes down to what you personally value. Your preference for the system with superior power and what you perceive as a superior game library does not trump other people’s’ preference for the system with superior versatility and what they perceive as the superior game library.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

rallydefault

@JaxonH
I have always been one of the more middle-grounded people on this board and I have conceded many a point to many people.

I can say you are exhausting to debate. I can say it's always the same stuff from you. I can even claim that I believe you were trying to be snarky with your original post.

But I will refrain from making baseless assumptions about your core personal character. Hope you feel better, man.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

JaxonH

@rallydefault
By “always the same stuff” you mean to say, I won’t kowtow to your misguided opinion?

Because that’s all I’ve done. I have an opinion and I vehemently disagree with you. If that constitutes “alwaus the same stuff” then so be it. I’m not going to cower in the corner from voicing my opinion when I know for a fact I’m right.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

rallydefault

@JaxonH
Uhm...no. I really don't even know what you mean by that. By "always the same stuff" I mean that any time someone gets in a debate with you, you follow the same procedure of just beating them into submission, refusing to budge from claims that are deubunked, and then sprinkling in personal insults.

rallydefault

JaxonH

@rallydefault
I haven’t “beaten” anyone. All I’ve done is argue a counterpoint to your misguided claim.

And I refuse to budge because you haven’t shown any evidence that I’m wrong. You never will because you can’t disprove a persons preference as being wrong.

You haven’t debunked anything.

And I haven’t insulted anyone!

You’re just making things up out of thin air at this point! In fact, it’s you that’s the one who always insults people! The “I could never be friends with someone like you in real life“ and “you just want to be snarky” and “always the same stuff with you“. Ya. Insults all around from you every time someone disagrees with your almighty opinion.

What exactly have I said to “insult you”? Hmmm?

You’re being completely irrational and illogical, you think your opinions are facts, and anytime someone doesn’t agree with your misguided opinions, which you think automatically “debunk” any opposing views, you get angry at them because you think they are denying “facts.”

Edited on by JaxonH

rallydefault

@JaxonH
It's not irrational to admit that consumers tend to choose things that are objectively better than other things.

Again, say whatever you want about me. Make whatever assumptions you want. I'll be the punching bag. But I know a lot of long-term people on this board are reading my posts and nodding their nods. A lot probably aren't, too lol Whatever. But it's always the same with you.

I can say that I probably wouldn't be friends with you (I don't remember that one - was that from a while ago?) I can say it's always the same with you. I stick by those statements.

But I will not sink to your level and personally insult you.

rallydefault

JaxonH

@rallydefault
will not sink to your level and personally insult you

Lol, my guy. You’re not making sense. I have not insulted you and yet you keep repeating that despite the fact it is blatantly false. The fact is, I am the one who has not stooped to your level, as you have insulted me no less than three times while I have not returned it in kind.

I had this ex girlfriend once who punched me in the face and then called the cops and told them I hit her. This is starting to feel eerily reminiscent of that.

And that alone should be all the evidence needed to discredit everything you’re saying.

It's not irrational to admit that consumers tend to choose things that are objectively better than other things

“Tendency” is not the same as it being a law of physics that can never be broken. Otherwise the most popular console would be the objectively superior console. Are you prepared to admit the PS2 is objectively superior to PC, Switch, PS4 and PS5 because people chose it more? And when Switch breaks the all time record, are you prepared to admit it is the objectively superior console since people “choose what is objectively superior”? Be careful what you say, because that day is soon approaching. And if you are not prepared to make that admission when the time comes, then perhaps you need to rethink what you’re saying.

Besides which, life is not one dimensional. All consoles have aspects in which they’re superior, and aspects in which they’re inferior. Which aspect matters more to the consumer will determine which one is the superior console for their own personal needs and desires.

Edited on by JaxonH

rallydefault

@JaxonH
Ok. You just compared me to someone who punched you in the face and shifted blame but you're not the one personally insulting me and assuming my character.

This is getting really messed up.

rallydefault

JaxonH

@rallydefault
I absolutely did.

That’s not an insult, it’s a comparison to illustrate what’s happening right now. But you’re so desperate to find something to claim I’ve insulted you by, of course you would cling to that and try to claim it’s an “insult”. Gotta retcon something to validate your previous claim, right?

The good ol’ “victimize, then blame your victim as the victimizer” strategy. Insult, then blame the insulted as the insulter.

I’m starting to see a pattern here.

Edited on by JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

Can't say I expected Switch Pro rumours to drown out the MH Rise hype, at the most I expected Zelda 35th anniversary celebrations (which Nintendo straight up ignored Zelda 35th anniversary, not even a tweet) and the limited time delistings (3D All Stars, SMB35, FE1 localization) to distract.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano Many hardcore Nintendo fans appear to love endlessly discussing console hardware. Probably the same reason discussions in the 3DS forum usually turned into discussions about the hardware.

@NintendoByNature LOL I think starting Zelda's 35th anniversary on April 1st would probably be sending the wrong message.

@rallydefault @JaxonH Y'all realize you've completely lost the plot at this point, right? Once an argument has devolved into "you're personally insulting me" and "you remind me of my abusive ex-girlfriend," I think that's probably the point where you should know it's time to cut your losses, agree to disagree, and move on with your lives.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

skywake

Anti-Matter wrote:

What is @rallydefault doing here ? 🤨

Dude's been on these forums longer than you have so....

JaxonH wrote:

@skywake
Getting it on PC is more rational given I can play it at higher resolutions and refresh rates across multiple machines. But I will pick up less demanding games and/or games that lend themselves to portable play on Switch give

Ya. More rational for you. Not for everyone. Because you have your personal preferences and your personal preferences are that you value resolution and refresh rates more than you value portability and the hybrid advantage. So ya, for you, that’s logical. For others, that’s not logical. For others, the logical choice is always Switch given they can play the exact same games and have just as much fun, yet do it anywhere.

It just comes down to what you personally value. Your preference for the system with superior power and what you perceive as a superior game library does not trump other people’s’ preference for the system with superior versatility and what they perceive as the superior game library.

I don't think you read what I said TBH and I think you are leaping to conclusions based on stereotypes. I have a reasonably good PC and I have a Switch, there is no debate to be had about which is technically the superior platform. When a game exists on both and I don't intend to play on the go? It comes down to resolution and framerate, which the Switch does not win.

Now does this mean I "perceive" the game library on PC as "superior"? Not really. I'm typing on a Nintendo fan forum I've been a member of for over a decade, what do you think I think? You think I'm not a fan of the Switch's versatility? Well in the post you half-quoted I'm literally saying I'm first in line for the Switch Pro. Like I said, I don't think you're actually listening.

That doesn't change the fact that, objectively, if I don't care about portability for a game the Switch is still the least capable platform. If a game exists on more than one platform and it's a choice between the Switch and that other platform? The rational choice is to not buy it on Switch. A Switch Pro would not change that equation. Simple as that.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

@skywake
I don’t really disagree with any of that. I did read what you said and I wasn’t jumping to conclusions.

I agree. But the key phrase there is if you don’t care about XYZ. Which is a preference. Other platforms are objectively the better choice if your preferences are such that you don’t value the aspects of Switch which are objectively superior. Which is all I’m saying. It comes down to user preference. IF a person values graphics more than portability, then yes, every single time Switch will be the inferior choice. But IF a person values portability more than graphics, then every single time Switch will be the superior choice. It comes down to user preference. One platform is superior in graphics and performance, and one platform is superior in versatility, playstyles and convenience. Which superior aspects you value most will determine what you choose. And will determine which is “best”... for you

Of course, all of this ignores game libraries, and hinges on the assumption all platforms have the exact same games in their library... which isn’t the case. And different libraries mean one console could be overall better than another, despite being inferior in every other aspect. It all comes down to user preference.

Edited on by JaxonH

Ralizah

@skywake I'd say the "rational choice" is buying games on the platform you enjoy playing on the most. If performance isn't a terribly important factor for you past a certain point, then, even if you're just playing at home, it can be perfectly rational to play on a weaker system. Home console owners without gaming PCs have done just that for generations. I know people with nice gaming rigs who still prefer to play on consoles because that's where they're more comfortable most of the time. So it shouldn't surprise you that some people just want to play games at home on a Switch, even if other consoles are available.

It all comes down to preferences and how facts as they are align with those preferences. That's all there is to it.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

rallydefault

@JaxonH
You're really taking this too far. You compared me to an abusive significant other. You don't know anything about me, you just don't agree with my opinion and at some point concluded that I'm demanding fealty (lol) from you/others. That's cuckoo. Seriously, man... you compared me to an abusive significant other. Over an opinion on why people buy game consoles. That is really. Really. Messed up.

@Ralizah
Yes, you are right. It's time to stop. I take the blame on this one. I should have stopped way sooner, and I should not have continued responding to him after the personal insults started flying.

rallydefault

NintendoByNature

@Ralizah hahaah I actually thought as I typed it. But more than anything I meant being done with marios 35 on the 31st.

NintendoByNature

Magician

So long as there's an ongoing philosophical discussion on why people game.

May as well throw up an old GDC favorite.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic