Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 54,621 to 54,640 of 69,962

Dezzy

@MrFox

Well I didn't know there were that many (where you getting the 26,000 number from?)

It's not like there was an internet or Amazon back then. The only games we were aware of were the ones they happened to have in the only nearby store, which was tiny.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Rambler

@BruceCM, @MrFox
Still got my +3 with Multiface, but sadly my rubber fetish 48k went to silicon heaven many years ago.

One of the main advantages of the additional memory was reducing multiloading, so that, for more ambitious games, you didn't have to load in a new level each time, or reload level one when you died.
Plus the music. The Cybernoid theme was mint.

I do think a revision to the Switch will act very much like the 128k, as you said, MrFox.

I think 10,000 of those spectrum games were by the Codemasters and were all along the lines of Super Zoo Simulator, or Super SAS Simulator

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

BruceCM

That must be the version after mine, @Rambler ..... Still, I upgraded to the Atari ST later & that had a floppy disc drive!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Rambler

@BruceCM
Grr! Never mind 16-bit gaming, the MIDI ports!!

Although I did program a little spacecraft sprite to fly across the screen to some generative music.

The +3 had a disk drive (3" disks that costed £2.99 each - yes really! Amiga disks then were 35p). However, with the mutiface, as well as hacking the games to pieces you could place a snapshot of a game on disk. Think you could easily get four to a disk.

Rambler

Dezzy

@MrFox

Which is your "town centre" by the way? Lol it might be the same as mine.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

electrolite77

Mr-Fuggles777 wrote:

Why would I pay £400 to play PS4 era ports when I can play them on the PS5 (as soon as I'm able to get hold of one) with enhanced performance.

You might not do, that’s your use case, by others are different. The demand is there as evidenced by Switch sales, the ports keeping on coming and indeed the history of gaming where Dedicated Portable Game Systems have been hugely popular for over 30 years.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

JaxonH

@rallydefault
The reason I keep playing most of my games on Switch instead of of more logical alternatives like PS5 or Xbox or PC

I don't think those are more logical at all. A lot of people act like the Almighty Himself declared graphics and performance to be the defining metric for what constitutes the "best choice", but no such declaration has ever been made.

Graphics and performance are just one variable of a multi-variable equation predicting optimal platform, where the weight of each variable changes depending on a person's preferences and hierarchy of values.

To me, the more logical choice is Switch, always has been and, unless a new product enters the market, always will be Switch.

If you were to model "marginal fun" as a function of system power, or in other words, the additional amount of fun gained per unit of power increase, you would find the curve's derivative is decreasing and approaching zero as power approaches infinity.

Set up a differential equation:

df = m*dp

The difference in fun equals the marginal fun (slope) times the increase in power. As we approach diminishing returns, increasing res from 1080p to 2160p doesn't really add that much additional fun to the experience. It does add to the experience, just not nearly as much as certain other things. Improving framerate from 30 to 60 doesn't add that much additional fun to the experience. It adds some, just not nearly as much as certain other things.

But hybrid handheld-tabletop-console play adds a TON of additional fun to the experience. Furthermore, an increase in power when you're talking 540p handheld and 720p docked, and unstable framerates struggling to hit 30, it adds a lot more fun to the experience than when performance is already much higher. So a newer model Switch would see much more tangible improvements and significantly higher increase of fun than jumping from a PS4 to PS5, or Xbox One to Series X, for example.

People aren't gonna know what to do next gen when the graphical leap is virtually imperceptible, and all it offers is higher numbers on paper that don't translate to any tangible benefit. As mobile tech is increasing at a faster rate than desktop PCs, Switch revisions will close the gap further and further, until eventually you have games that look 95% the same as on consoles. At which point, there's gonna be alot of people questioning whether that 5% better visuals is worth forfeiting 67% versatility, by only getting 1 out of 3 ways to play.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

rallydefault

@JaxonH
Honestly dude, it's simpler than that for most people. But you know that and are just trying to be a bit snarky.

"Logical" to most people when it comes to choosing a gaming platform really just boils down to:

• Does it have the games I want?
  • Do my friends play on it?
  • Do I like the controller?
  • Will it load games fast and do they look good?

That's pretty much it. Frankly, a lot of people probably just look at those first two items.

For most people, that means the PS5 and Xbox are extremely logical choices, if not the most logical over the Switch, and that's just based purely on those first two factors. Chances are, the majority of gamers have way more friends on Xbox/PS ecosystems if the last couple gens are used as data points (yes the Wii sold a lot but wasn't exactly an online hub), and the Xbox/PS ecosystems just get way more games. Period.

The Switch, outside of its hybrid nature, is probably a very illogical first choice for most people when it comes to gaming. For me, it's my first choice because the hybridity is what fits my lifestyle right now even if I have to sacrifice some of those other things on the list.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

JaxonH

@rallydefault
No? Not snarky at all. It was a dead serious post. Not sure why you'd think I'm being snarky. I'm breaking down the actuality of the situation.

Since as I said, it's a multivariable equation where things like "power" are just one variable. There are many others.

Just because people dont analyze it as such doesn't mean it doesn't accurately describe what's really happening. And that IS what's happening. Things like this get modeled in economics all the time. People don't have to understand it, but it is what's happening.

Of course many people will see other systems as their logical choice. Obviously. But there's a difference between THEIR logical choice and THE logical choice. There is no "THE" logical choice.

Bottom line being, for many people, the value brought to the table by hybrid advantage far exceeds the value brought to the table by incremental power only. So any attempt to describe other systems as the "default logical choice" is erroneous at best. There is no default logical choice. Hybrid advantage is just as viable and compelling as more power. Some will choose one. Some will choose the other. But there is no objective "better" or objective "logical choice".

There is only personal preference. And I will fight against the culture of power being the be all end all determining factor as to what is "objectively better". I'm tired of hearing Youtubers review Switch games, then spend half the review talking about how it doesn't measure up graphically and then end with, "it's a great way to play if you don't have better options". Wait, what? "Better options"? There are no "better options". People don't play Switch because they're poor, pitiful gamers who can't afford "better options", they play Switch because for them, it IS the "better option".

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Magician

@Mr-Fuggles777

Mr-Fuggles777 wrote:

Maybe Nintendo should focus on game development rather than hardware as its been over a year since we have had any new first party games.

No love for Paper Mario: TOK?

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

rallydefault

@JaxonH
I just disagree. I think there are logical choices when it comes to gaming: the places that have your friends and have the games you want. Anything else would be illogical, technically.

@Magician
No joke, Origami King is one of my favorite games of all time. I'm doing another playthrough right now, actually. I can see this being a game I replay every few years just like Ocarina.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Magician

(directed towards nobody in particular)

You're on these forums because you appreciate Nintendo and their franchises. Right? Then you need to come to terms with the fact that Nintendo is going to ride their niche as a provider of portable gaming experiences, first and foremost, for the foreseeable future.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

JaxonH

@rallydefault
You're misunderstanding.

I agree 100%. That would be logical... if that's what a person values most, but not objectively logical for everyone as some transcendental truth

Again, it comes down to preference and values. If a person values playing with their friends most, then for them and them only, that is their personal logical choice. Not everyone's logical choice. Others may not give two whiffs about playing with their friends, and yet still others may care, but they care about other things more.

We are not in disagreement here. I'm simply delineating the difference between claims that certain platforms are objectively superior regardless of your preferences, which is absolute hogwash horse manure fanboy console warrior nonsense. Platform A is not objectively a better choice just because it's more powerful. It may be subjectively a better choice for you based on your personal values but that is all it is.

PS/Xbox/PC is absolutely, 100% not a more logical choice than Switch. There is only preference. IF you value one thing, you may choose PS/Xbox/PC. And yet IF you value other things, you may choose Switch. But power doesn't automatically carry more objective weight than the hybrid advantage.

But what I was saying before with regards to power losing its effect as a system becomes more powerful, it's hard to explain mathematically if someone isn't familiar. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

rallydefault

@JaxonH
To what person would liking the games and having friends on a system not be objective logical good choices?

rallydefault

JaxonH

@rallydefault
A person who likes the games and has friends on the system but also likes playing portably, and values that more.

It's literally a question of what a person values most. And what a person values is subjective, not objective.

rallydefault

@JaxonH
I never said that liking portability wasn't also logical. I'm just saying that liking games and having friends on the system are never not logical.

rallydefault

link3710

@rallydefault Well, also take into account that for anyone who doesn't play online games (such as myself 99% of the time) having friends on the ecosystem is pointless. It just so happens that most of my friends have Switches right now, but I play with them (non-locally) maybe once a year at most?

So count me as a person who doesn't care about friends on the ecosystem.

Edit: more generally, anyone who mostly values single player games over multiplayer is more likely to also care about things like portability over library size.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

JaxonH

@rallydefault
Yes, they are logical things to like if they happen to be things you personally value. As link3710 pointed out, not everyone values those particular things.

So again, it comes down to things people value. That includes but is not limited to: friends, power, games (both exclusive and multiplat), gyro, ease of use, portability, tabletop ability, tv play, controller comfort, rumble effect, storage, price, online cost vs benefits, OS speed, etc.

These are all logical candidates for being valued. But everyone is different and everyone will place a different weight of importance to each specific factor. Obviously people will choose what's logical for themselves. That's how human reasoning tends to work. We choose what makes the most sense to us. But what makes the most sense to us will not make the most sense to everyone else.

It comes down to what a person values most. And no two people are alike. And my point was and continues to be, that none of those candidate factors are inherently superior over the others. It all comes down to what each individual values the most personally.

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

@Anti-Matter
Diminishing returns of "additional fun added to the experience" as power increases, to visually demonstrate why a more powerful Switch makes a lot more sense than a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X ever did.

Edited on by JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic