Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 54,601 to 54,620 of 69,981

JaxonH

@Mr-Fuggles777
Reliable leakers have already confirmed they know of at least one game being developed on the next system that cannot run on the existing model.

And even if it is just “old ports”, people love the hell out of old ports, because old ports can still be great games, and they can still be great games most people haven’t played, and even if they have played them people love having them hybrid handheld.

I don’t know why you would do anything, because I can’t speak for you. If you don’t want to pay $400 to play PS4 ports then don’t do it.

But that doesn’t mean me and tens of millions of others don’t want to play those games on a hybrid handheld device, alongside the countless new games we get also on a hybrid handheld device. Your personal tastes do not speak for the entire planet earth.

And even if a game doesn’t “need” more power, that doesn’t mean it’s not a huge benefit, or something developers don’t want to see or something gamers don’t want to see. Sure would be nice playing Xenoblade in resolutions above 540p on handheld, for example. Nintendo isn’t the only one selling games on the system and given their high priority for third parties this generation you can believe that third parties want it and will use it, and gamers will be thankful for it.

And yes memory will be a problem as it’s always a problem and will continue to be a problem, not just for the switch but for the PS5 and Series X as well. But even with more power, you can fit a lot of games on a 1 TB SD. A LOT of games. Believe me, I know. I have 2 full 1TB SDs on Switch, full PS5 internal memory (literally filled up my PS5 in one week), and 10 TB on PC. but it is what it is, that’s not gonna stop progress or consoles from advancing.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Mr-Fuggles777

JaxonH wrote:

Reliable leakers have already confirmed they know of at least one game being developed on the next system that cannot run on the existing model

Do you have a source for this? I was under the impression that it was a stop gap upgrade (like the ps4 pro) and not a new console.

With no Power, comes no Responsibility!

My Nintendo: Badger | Nintendo Network ID: SW-7629-6884-5091

Ralizah

@Mr-Fuggles777 Enhanced performance isn't really that important past a certain point. I'd MUCH rather have a hybrid version of a game than one that runs at a higher native resolution on PS5. A lot of people would, clearly, because portable versions of games on Switch keep selling well. You don't have to understand it, but it's important to understand that resolution and framerate aren't the be all, end all factors for a lot of gamers if they're good enough on weaker hardware.

And Switch gets new releases all the time; just not most modern AAA games. If you only play AAA multiplats, that might be problematic. For someone like me, who broadly ignores that section of the industry, it barely affects me.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Mr-Fuggles777
The two are not mutually exclusive. You can be an upgrade and also have devs take advantage of the power to bring games not able to currently run. Research Nate the Hate if you want a source.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Mr-Fuggles777

@JaxonH I CbA reading through hundreds of posts to find a snippet of information from an unofficial source. What game is he saying would be pro only?
Will just wait and see, but that approach didn't exactly work out great for the New 3DS when it split the user base. It would be strange for Nintendo to do the same thing again.

@Ralizah I agree with you, which is why I think a switch Pro is a waste when the one we have now does the job.

Edited on by Mr-Fuggles777

With no Power, comes no Responsibility!

My Nintendo: Badger | Nintendo Network ID: SW-7629-6884-5091

jedgamesguy

@JaxonH If Nintendo made games exclusive to this so called Switch Pro, it would absolutely cause a massive amount of unrest in the Switch community. Games that were optimised for Switch Pro should work like a game like No Man's Sky; built for PS4 from the start, and you can get it for PS5 too.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Dezzy

Yeah I really hope they don't make exclusive games for the Pro. If they do, I bet it will only be like 1 or 2, to help sell the system. Like they did with the New3DS.

It makes no sense to abandon the massive install base for the other 2 versions of the Switch.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

jedgamesguy

@Dezzy There was huge uproar when Nintendo announced back in 1991 that the Super NES wouldn't be compatible with NES cartridges. Everyone and their mother criticised Nintendo and called them selfish money-grubbers. But they still sold almost fifty million units.

Xenoblade 3D was an exception; it couldn't have worked on the standard 3DS despite Monster Games' best efforts.

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

BenAV

I don't think we'd see many, if any, first party games that are 'Switch Pro' exclusive as Nintendo will keep developing with the base hardware in mind. It'd be more useful for third party ports which might not be possible in the first place otherwise. I'm sure some irrational people would still get upset about not being able to play something they wouldn't have access to either way but that's not worth worrying too much about.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

BruceCM

I had one of those Spectrums, @MrFox .... I think it'll depend just how much of an upgrade the 'pro' ends up being! At the moment, the only thing that is definite is the new screen & the output in 4K for TV mode. IF other hardware revision rumours have any basis, there'd be significant improvements beyond that, though

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Grumblevolcano

I don't think the New 3DS route would happen regarding exclusive 1st party games on the new Switch revision because the big difference between the 3DS and the Switch is the 3DS was weaker than older Nintendo home consoles at the time like the Wii so it made sense that some games wouldn't run on the standard 3DS meanwhile the Switch is the most powerful Nintendo system so all ports would technically run on the base Switch and having a few new games exclusive would be sending those games out to flop.

If the improvements are meaningful to 1st party games they'll likely do the original XB1 -> Series X transition plan where no games are exclusive for like 2 years and then it's all exclusive.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

BruceCM

Heh, I think there are a few people around of a similar age, @MrFox .... At least some of the things I've heard will probably turn out to be either mistaken about something, overestimating it's performance effects or they're just being very hopeful on little to no basis! Unfortunately, it's difficult to tell when there's so many rumours & so much speculation around. I am hoping the next upgrade is mostly focused on TV mode, since that won't affect me & my Lite
IF there's significant performance improvements otherwise, they'd have to do a new Lite soon, as well, which isn't being leaked/ rumoured/ speculated, though! I'm not going to buy a 'hybrid' Switch now I'm happy with my Lite.

SW-4357-9287-0699

BruceCM

Well, I didn't really know about the 'upgrades' for the +2, since that was 1st one I got, @MrFox but as well as those of us old enough to have had one originally, there's quite a few younger retro enthusiasts around, generally, who'd at least have heard of it .... Don't think we have a friends list system here, though!
If it is supposed to come out sometime around November/ early December, Nintendo won't say anything for a few months yet!

SW-4357-9287-0699

BruceCM

Yeah, well, there's quite a few here in the UK, too, @MrFox ..... My friend at school had the C64, too!

SW-4357-9287-0699

JaxonH

@Mr-Fuggles777
He didn't reveal which game. Obviously, information like that is sensitive.

And it's not "Nintendo" so "Nintendo" isn't splitting anything. But even if it was, it worked fantastic on New 3DS, which sold incredibly well. Not sure where this idea came from that having one or two exclusive games "didn't work well".

You sound bitter. Did you get up in arms when PS4 Pro and Xbox One X was announced? No? Then why are you up in arms over a better device millions of people want? If you don't want it, don't buy it.

@TheJGG
Nobody said anything about Nintendo making exclusive games. There is no evidence suggesting that. The evidence suggests some 3rd parties will bring games that simply cannot run on the current model. How many? Don't know. But it seems there will be at least one, if the info is accurate.

Edited on by JaxonH

Dezzy

MrFox wrote:

@Dezzy I'm old enough to remember when the ZX Spectrum 128k came out. It wasn't incredibly popular in the beginning, there were few exclusive games

Filbert Fox!

In the 80s, most people were so impressed with home consoles just existing at all, that it didn't make much difference that there were so few games. We had a Commodore 64, and I only ever played like 3 different games on it.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

rallydefault

The reason I keep playing most of my games on Switch instead of of more logical alternatives like PS5 or Xbox or PC is because I can take them anywhere. Period. I don't care how much the graphics are pared down, the hybrid nature trumps performance downgrades a hundred times over for me.

rallydefault

Snatcher

I'm going to sadly have to get crash 4 a week after, some stuff came up so I can't get it on day bummer.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Qwertyninty

Really think the new switch revision needs its own thread. I’m not a big thread maker someone else could do better. Lots of things to discuss though.

Qwertyninty

jump

@Qwertyninty You just need to pick one, there's been loads of Switch Pro rumour threads.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic