Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 53,181 to 53,200 of 69,981

JaxonH

@Giancarlothomaz
No rumble in the demo. It’s an odd omission for sure. Given even MHGU had rumble, I would like to believe it’ll be in the full game, but I’m preparing mentally for the possibility that it’s not.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Giancarlothomaz

@JaxonH i always believed Nintendo Switch would be a comercial sucess, the moment Nintendo revealed Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild would be the lauch game of the console and games like Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3.

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

Ralizah

I don't think a character being in Smash is as big of a deal as people make it out to be when it comes to promoting something other than Smash. The DQ hero was in Smash, and I don't believe DQXI S made major bank on the Switch.

Bayonetta being in Smash didn't massively boost sales of the Switch collection port, either.

@JaxonH Have huge streamers been covering the demo? I don't keep up with that sort of thing.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Yes and no. Capcom gave early demo access to Maximillian Dood and 3 others who exclusively streamed on Twitch before the demo went live. Their fanbases are all PS/Xbox/PC too, so Capcom is definitely targeting the World audience.

Plus Easy Allies, Boomstick Gaming and other PS/Xbox/PC centric Youtubers put out videos on the demo today. Last time they talked about a Switch game was Breath of the Wild. So Rise is definitely reaching into the pockets of the World audience.

I dont really use Twitch so I'm not sure who else is covering but just in my little bubble I'm seeing Rise reach farther than most Switch games do.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

TheFrenchiestFry

@JaxonH Dood's audience is most definitely the PlayStation/PC crowd, especially given his coverage on series like Guilty Gear and especially Final Fantasy and Capcom franchises, but he has done a good chunk of Nintendo stuff before

He's reacted to most of if not all the Smash Directs from both 3DS/Wii U and Ultimate, as well as some of the main Nintendo Directs, and he does cover Smash surprisingly often even though he doesn't actually typically play online

To my knowledge he didn't actually play Monster Hunter before World so it makes sense as to why Rise is being covered on his channel despite the switch in platforms

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah I think by the time DQXI S went multiplatform this past September it had already passed the 6 million units mark worldwide on Switch, and I doubt that figure would've been possible had his inclusion in Smash not raised at least some awareness in the West

I think the character that probably benefitted the most from the Smash exposure is easily Joker, for better and for worse. Persona 5 was already pretty huge when it launched, especially in the West since it became Atlus' single best selling game of all time within like two or three months, but Persona in Smash brought a lot more people into the series than I personally could've anticipated. There are probably lots of people who either emulated P5 on PC or straight up bought a PS4 in recent times just to play it from what I've seen on social media just because they had their interest piqued when he joined the roster

It may have sort of been responsible for the endless Twitter e-begging for Persona Switch ports and useless bickering like that but I actually have friends irl who only got convinced to get into the series because of their exposure to it through Smash. One of them doesn't have a PS4 or PS5 and is settling on P4G being his first game in the series but he does intend to get a PS5 later this year just to play stuff like Royal, Strikers and the Dancing spinoffs. He also dug out his old Vita and intends to get into P1-3, and I doubt that would've even been possible without him being intrigued by his Smash inclusion

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah Pretty sure it did for Hero and DQXIS. As for Bayonetta she came to Smash 2 years before the Switch ports and there was a slight increase in sales of the Wii U version around the time of addition to Smash though Wii U is Wii U, not even 2014's stellar software lineup was enough to save that system.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Anti-Matter

Um...
I changed my mind after i saw blood from Monster Hunter Rise demo gameplay.
I have crosschecked from other websites to find out the contents inside the game and well... Sorry, i cannot accept any games with Blood mentioned on ESRB rating. It broke my gaming rules number 2 (No Blood allowed) 😕
Only Mild blood and Animated blood that i still accept (my gaming rules number 2a).
I guess i might consider Monster Hunter Stories 2 for milder contents.

Anti-Matter

JaxonH

@TheFrenchiestFry
That's true, he does cover Smash Bros. He's big into Smash. I forgot about that. And he was thrilled with the Ori Will of the Wisps announcement for Switch.

But Smash aside Nintendo is typically an afterthought on his channel. Which... is fine. Everyone has what they're into. It's a good thing he's reaching the World fanbase that doesnt yet own a Switch. Maybe he can bring some of them into the fold.

JaxonH

@Anti-Matter
You can turn the blood spatters off (or at least, low enough you dont notice underneath the hit sparks).

But you probably wouldn't like Monster Hunter anyways. It's a game with incredible, rewarding depth. Not really your style, trust me.

Eel

Then again you can get some pretty scandalous armor sets for your male hunters.

Apparently in World you could go around in a shirtless muscle-suit.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

JaxonH

@Eel
Lol all I could think reading your comment was,

pauses for a moment, leans in close...

"She's rich".

Ralizah

@JaxonH

JaxonH wrote:

But you probably wouldn't like Monster Hunter anyways. It's a game with incredible, rewarding depth. Not really your style, trust me.

Wow, that's some shade you're throwing.

@TheFrenchiestFry That's definitely not the case. As of September 2020, Dragon Quest XI (in every form: XI on PS4, 3DS, and PC, and XI S on Switch) has only sold six million copies total. 4 million of those copies had shipped by November 2018. So, even if every other version had stopped selling after that point, the Switch version would only have accounted for two million sales. But we know it probably didn't, so, realistically, the Switch version probably sold 1.3 mil or so tops worldwide. And probably the biggest reason it even did that well is because Nintendo did a lot to promote the game.

As to Persona 5, the game was already popular. It may have exposed some Nintendo-only people to the series, but I doubt that it did much to increase sales of the game, or of Royal, which... launched after Joker released in Smash, right? Royal, I believe, is at about 1.5 million versus the 3.2 million or something sales of the original.

@Grumblevolcano I dunno. DQXI didn't do amazing on Switch, and Bayo 2 didn't similarly didn't impress on Switch. I'm not saying there's no impact, but I just think you're overestimating the importance of a Smash crossover when it comes to driving interest in a title. Especially considering I know some Smash-obsessed people personally, and, generally, they only care about Smash. Like, they love Cloud, but they have no interest in going out and buying FFVII Remake.

It generates a lot of buzz temporarily, but I don't think the evidence is there to support the idea that it drives sales or widely increases visibility for a property.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Mmm... not so much shade as a splash of reality in the face. Anyone into Princess Pony probably isn’t a prime candidate for induction into the hallowed ranks of Monster Hunter. What’s that saying, just keepin it 100? Ya, just doing that 😁

Then again, Potato potahto...

(Don’t take offense AntiBody, you know I only have love for you!)

I think you’re right about Smash character inclusion impact. Samurai Showdown got little no no bump from Terry, But, I do think it makes a difference in one respect. IF a game gets a lot of buzz and IF that game gets great reviews and incredible word of mouth, I think IF the franchise has a Smash inclusion it can help give some people the push they need to check it out. Fire Emblem Awakening is a good example. It was a really great game and reviewed really well and had a lot of good word-of-mouth going on. At which point I think a lot of people said hey, this is that series with Marth, ergo it’s got pedigree, ergo maybe it’s worth checking out. But it really only works as a nudge and only in those specific circumstances.

Edited on by JaxonH

Blooper987

@ToadBrigade There is only one doggo who truly matters in this world!

Untitled

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

jedgamesguy

@Blooper987 Cute for sure but where is that from? I can't imagine I've ever heard of that.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Blooper987

@theJGG Her name is Korone. She’s a youtuber. She plays a lot of classic games like Super Mario Bros, Banjo-Kazooie, and just today she had a 12 hour stream where she played R-type Dimensions. The picture is specifically just fan-art of her. My icon is a pic of what she actually looks like.

Basically I watched one stream and then I started to watch almost all of them. And now I’m subscribed to similar youtubers who use virtual avatars. So my YouTube subscription list is almost always filled with streams of anime girls playing video games, singing, or drawing.

Edited on by Blooper987

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

JaxonH

@ToadBrigade
Its in the settings. Hit + and use R to tab over to options. Not sure exactly where it is but explore in there, should probably take a look at what alls in there anyways.

As for your complaints, I'll address those.

Menus may seem like alot, and there is a lot of depth there, but they're really not hard once you navigate them a bit. + takes you to main menu where you can access various in game things like your item pouch (good if you need to discard something to make room), crafting in the field and auto crafting settings (though most will be done Komura Village in between quests), etc. But on the far right end theres options. These are the game options. It's where you can turn down blood, adjust gyro, turn off auto sheath, etc.

The other "menus" you need to know about is when you hold L. It opens the radial quick menu, which you navigate with the right analog to quick select. There are 4 loadouts (top, down, left and right) and can be toggled between with either Dpad or the newly added ZR to circle clockwise around. For now though you should only need access to the top one with item shortcuts. Unless you edit in the menu to add item shortcuts to the others (I wouldn't bother for the demo). By default, pointing with right analog and letting go uses the item. But I change mine in settings to require clicking right analog so I can exit out without using item if I change my mind after pointing. Also prevents false inputs.

While holding L, you can also scroll your item menu bar on the bottom right (this is your FULL item bar you pan through, unlike the radial menu with commonly used item shortcuts). While holding L, use Y/A to pan left/right through the item bar. Whatever is selected, that's the item you'll use when you press Y when sheathed.

The other bar to the left of the item bar is the new action bar, which you control with the Dpad (doesnt require holding L if you change it in settings to that control type). Left/right toggles and either up or down enacts the action. Its nice for other things like rising your dog, telling them to wait or come. Posing for pics, etc. I just leave it on riding dog so I dont have to use radial menu shortcut. I just press dpad up.

Movement always feels foreign and strange to new players. Believe me, I've been a fan long enough I've heard that exact complaint so many times I've lost track. It does pass with time as you acclimate, and there will come a point where you prefer it, to the extent other games feel weird because they're not like MH. And they'll feel as if they lack depth.

It can be overwhelming for sure. It's so hard getting new players into MH because of the high learning curve and the all too common complaints about animation commitments. But, I can assure you, it will pass. Dont feel the need to understand everything all at once. Unlike some other complex games, you can get by and have tons of fun just knowing 10%. The other 90% comes gradually as you play.

Every day you play, you'll learn a few new things. In the beginning you're gonna be like a sponge, soaking up knowledge left and right. As you get better and learn more, the learning slows down. But you'll still continue to learn forever. Even I am still learning. I've got 2000+ hrs in the series. That's what makes it so fun and addictive though. It's like that exploration in Zelda? The joy of discovery? Same thing here. Except it's the joy of discovering deep, hidden mechanics the game never tells you about.

But, ask lots of questions and keep practicing, and before you know it you'll stop and think to yourself, "wow, I'm not really getting hit anymore" and "wow, I'm doing these combos from muscle memory and reaction without even thinking about it".

You're taking your first steps into a brand new world. Welcome to your new addiction!

edit
HOLY... I wrote a lot, didn’t I 😂

Ya. Monster Hunter tends to have that effect on people 😁

Edited on by JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic