Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 53,161 to 53,180 of 69,987

Guest88

Let’e not pretend that Nintendo life isn’t toxic. This is the same page who had a meltdown when Nintendo revealed federation force and pikmin 3ds. Not to mention this is the same page who threw hissy when people brought up joycon drift and criticized the lazy mario 3d collection.

As for 70$ price tag, I’d suggest you prepare youself since 70$ are going to be a norm this gen, not only Sony.

Edited on by Guest88

Guest88

Eel

You seem to be rather negative yourself.

But yeah we have our own share of annoying people here. I assume if the writers decided to become a bit more abrasive towards the other console makers, that audience would show itself.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

FragRed

@theJGG @Guest88 I rarely ever buy games full price regardless, that’s what sales are for. It’s also why I still buy physical sometimes. This particular game however was that new Housemarque one and though I’m sure £70$70 is the new norm, it’s smaller budget games that are going to struggle the most, like Housemarque games.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

Microsoft will probably join in on $70 when the final wave of last gen and/or already on PC games have passed. So Psychonauts 2, Flight Sim and Halo Infinite will likely be $60 but after that likely increase to $70.

Then Nintendo moves to $70 when the Switch's successor (not the 2021 revision, the actual true successor that launches around 2023/2024) launches.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano I think for Microsoft, the price hike would work in their favour as it will encourage more to sign up to Game Pass.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

JaxonH

I don’t recall any “hissy fits” over Mario 3D Collection or joycon drift criticism (but for the record, saying “lazy” so matter of factly while showing resentment toward anyone who disagrees shows close mindedness). Maybe there were from like one person, two people. Certainly not on any large scale. I do recall many people challenging those criticisms, or bringing other points of view to the table which is crucial to get a robust understanding of a situation.

Blindly accepting criticism without challenging it is just as one-sided as blindly refusing to criticize. Especially when there’s a lot of hyperbolic criticism from those who think just because they’re criticizing something that makes them “fair and balanced” and automatically right, and anyone who disagrees is a “fanboy”.

That said, of course there’s toxicity here. Federation Force response was disgraceful, no question. But I don’t think anyone ever claimed there was zero toxicity on this site. But that doesn’t negate the very real issues I have with PS site (and apparently I’m not the only one).

@theJGG @FragRed
The problem boils down to not respecting other points of view, and those who think their opinions and beliefs are infallibly correct, and get hostile toward anyone who has a different opinion and belittles them for it as if they’re idiots for not holding identical beliefs as themselves. In an ideal world both sides would present their personal beliefs with evidence to explain why they believe what they do, and as long as both parties are willing to modify their beliefs as evidence is presented, consensus can often be achieved. And if not, then you just agree to disagree.

I haven’t yet engaged in the $70 game discussion, but here’s my thoughts. I don’t like games being $70. I think it’s too much. And although I did buy Demons Souls for $70 because I needed something to play on my new PS5, that’s the exception and the only time I plan to (until the next MH releases on PC, then I lose all self control 😁).

If certain people are OK with it then I think that’s great. It’s their money and nobody should tell them what they should or shouldn’t do with it. If they feel a game is worth that price then by all means they should pay 70 and shouldn’t feel bad about it one bit. At the same time, if certain people are not OK with it and opt to wait for price drops, that’s great too. It’s a lot of money to ask for a base version of a game, and I completely understand not wanting to fork out that much cash. I saw Returnal for $70 and almost spit out my drink.

A lot of people criticized Switch games that cost $10 more, but with Switch games it wasn’t every game. It was only a few select games. And you got the double value hybrid advantage. And the price was usually discounted from $60 already, so even with the extra cost, it was still less than or equal to $60. But there were a lot of people violently opposed every single time, and would make a point to trash talk it. It’ll be interesting to see if those same people now defend the $70 games.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

FragRed

@JaxonH Returnal is the game causing all the arguments on Push Square each time there’s a new article. I do agree, it is up to each individual as to how they spend their money. Personally I almost always wait for games to go on sale. The exception is Nintendo first party as that’s just so rare. But I do also feel Sony not having smaller games or more niche games like Returnal on different pricing tiers will cause problems in the long run. They already made Destruction All Stars or whatever it’s called a PS+ game on launch, I assume due to lack of pre-orders.

StuTwo

@JaxonH to be fair in 2017 we’d just come off seeing the train wreck of the Wii U and the relatively underwhelming 3DS (at least in terms of sales). The idea that Switch would sell about the same as the 3DS and the Wii U combined if it did well was pretty much the mainstream position.

By mid 2017 Switch was clearly not a Wii U esq disaster but Wii like figures seemed impossible. Credit to those analysts who went against the sort of crap that the likes of Patcher were putting out.

As for £70 games - it’s actually still less than early N64 games cost when adjusted for inflation. Street Fighter 2 cost more than that (without adjustment)!

My take is that the market now allows for a broad range of prices of games - a small number of higher value games balances the growth of cheaper bargains.

More practically I doubt many players will actually pay £70 for many games but that badge price offers plenty more scope for “incredible” looking sales.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Artonide

Happy to see the switch doing so well. Its an awesome partner to my XsX. Nintendo have done a great job by being unique, making it necessary to have adjecent to something else. 😊 Now waiting for super mario 3D world to release 😃

Edited on by Artonide

SW-4796-1687-6967
Play mostly everything. 😊

JaxonH

@StuTwo
If you read my comment from the 2017 article, even I doubted it could do those numbers. I don’t think any of us thought we’d see Switch crossing 100m, much less 130m.

But it was the people saying it would flop that gets me.

100m didn’t seem impossible at the time, it just seemed a bit hopeful and optimistic. Now... 130m on the other hand, that seemed very, very unlikely.

The question now is, will Switch be able to break the all time record held by DS/PS2? How long can this insane run last? Two more years like 2020 will put it at 130m by the end of 2022, but let’s say March 2023 for exactly 6 years. If it stays on the market 7-8 years, can it squeeze another 25m for the record?

Maybe if they do proper refreshes that keep hype at an all time high.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

kkslider5552000

I also didn't expect how big the Switch would be, and I was expecting it to be big. It was a replacement for both of Nintendo's systems and hit that niche Vita crowd as well, so a lot of success felt inevitable after just a couple of months. Especially with some of Nintendo's worst problems being partially alleviated (particularly those crazy numbers for nearly ANY early 3rd party game, no matter how niche). But even then, I wouldn't have predicted it beating 3DS sales before it was 4 years old. Or the record breaking sales for a lot of Nintendo's IPs.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

JaxonH

Monster Hunter Rise is gonna sell so many copies lol. Let’s reason together, shall we?

1 MH World pushed the series to new heights of popularity in the west, selling over 16 million copies, with another 6m from Iceborne expansion. All that attention is now focusing on Rise.
2 MH4U and MHGU were able to attain 1 million + sales each just in the west.
3 Previous MH titles would sell 3-4 million in Japan.
4 Most Switch titles are blowing out 3DS sales numbers, both in Japan and the west
5 The demo crashed the eShop across all territories when it went live from the influx
6 Rathalos in Smash brings even more attention to the series.
7 Conservative estimate would be 3m JP + 1m in west, just matching 3DS performance. 4m total
8 High end estimate would be 4-5m JP + 2-3m in west, so 6-8m total, breaking the record for most sales on a single platform.

I really hope this game smashes. It still feels like it’s flying under the radar a bit, though the hype is definitely building. Non-Switch YouTube channels like BoomStick Gaming and Easy Allies and Maximillian Dood are actually starting to cover it, which I haven’t seen happen for a Switch game since Zelda Breath of the Wild. And there’s a massive blue ocean of non-Switch gamers out there that played World. The key to Rise’s success isn’t just convincing Switch gamers to jump in, but converting non-Switch gamers who fell in love with Monster Hunter World.

Edited on by JaxonH

StuTwo

@JaxonH I did read it - even those of us who were positive weren’t as bullish as we should have been!

But yes - the people who were being negative at that point in 2017 were deliberately trolling or completely daft.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

JaxonH

@StuTwo
It’s crazy how time flies. That was almost 4 years ago, and even then I remember being on here during the early Wii U days. Where has the time gone

link3710

PushSquare is... a place. I may love playing on my PS4, but I'll never use that site as it is now. I'll stick here and get my Sony news via word of mouth when it's important.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I think Japan sales will be on the really high side as it's important to remember that for Japan, the last Nintendo platform MH (MHXX) came out 4 years ago (March 2017 for 3DS, August 2017 for Switch).

Up to that point Monster Hunter was as close to an annual franchise as Pokemon:
August 2009 - Tri (Wii)
December 2011 - 3G (3DS)
December 2012 - 3G (Wii U)
September 2013 - 4 (3DS)
October 2014 - 4G (3DS)
November 2015 - X (3DS)
October 2016 - Stories (3DS)
March 2017 - XX (3DS)
August 2017 - XX (Switch)
March 2021 - Rise (Switch)
Summer 2021 - Stories 2 (Switch)

I think there's no doubt about it that the Japan's sales will be on the very high side, partially because of just being MH and partially because of the recent MH drought on Nintendo systems (4 years is quite a long time considering what used to be for MH).

Regarding sales outside Japan, I think it'll come to down to a few factors:

1. Who is the next Smash fighter?

If it's from the Monster Hunter franchise, that will no doubt help.

2. What is the Switch lineup like?

The more packed a lineup is the more games lose out on sales. For example, many Switch games released in September 2019 would've gotten better sales had they released in early 2020 instead. Even the biggest game of the bunch (Link's Awakening) suffered to some extent from being in an extremely packed lineup. Right now there's not much with an actual release date (there's a lot with vague release windows) but something like a Direct could easily change that.

3. Hardware

New 3DS helped MH4U so I could see a new Switch revision helping MH Rise. People need to tame expectations though, those expecting some kind of 4K Switch Pro with a comparable upgrade to non-Nintendo mid gen refreshes are going to be very disappointed.

4. Tolerance for worse graphics

The non-Nintendo crowd that loved MH World will have to accept that MH Rise will be worse graphics than MH World if they choose to get the Switch version.

My prediction is it'll be around 6 million on the Switch, 5 million for Japan and 1 million for outside Japan.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Some fair points and good insights.

But I will disagree on western sales. If MHGU sold 1m outside Japan, there’s no way on God’s green earth that Monster Hunter Rise doesn’t exceed it. I expect at least 2m outside of Japan. At a minimum. Maybe if can do more? It’s possible. But I expect at least 2 in the west and at least 4 in Japan. So I agree 6 is a good estimate, but 1m in the west given MHGU even did that, and it was a port of a 3DS game, the base version of which Nintendo fans already played, is too low.

Edited on by JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH MHGU launched during a big game drought (August 2018) and Rathalos was revealed for Smash Ultimate (boss and assist trophy) in the Smash Direct a few weeks before MHGU launched. I think those 2 things boosted MHGU figures.

I think 2+ million outside Japan for MH Rise would a situation if a Monster Hunter fighter came to Smash and MH Rise's launch window is somewhat clear. I think the former will happen but the latter won't. I think a Direct will happen and reveal around March 26th to be as crazy as September 2019, not necessarily in terms of retail releases but the upcoming April 1st delistings still seem somewhat suspicious.

Grumblevolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
I don’t think that’s true because MH4U also sold a million in the west. So it’s not just a one time fluke due to situational circumstances, it’s very close to being an established trend.

No doubt MH in Smash would help, but even without that there is no way Rise doesn’t trounce MH4U and MHGU western sales, especially after World and Iceborne increasing popularity, Rise featuring the best graphics on the Switch and all the improvements from World, Switch having a way larger install base than when MHGU released on Switch or MH4U on 3DS, and the AAA marketing hype cycle which neither MH4U nor MHGU received.

The demo crashed the eShop for goodness sakes. That never happened with MH4U or MHGU.

If this brand new, AAA Monster Hunter without loading zones, with the best graphics on the system, a massive marketing budget with huge influencers streaming and covering on social media, on the hottest system on the market which already exceeded 3DS lifetime sales, a demo that crashed the eShop and all the popularity of World behind it, if it can’t even exceed the sales of a 3DS port of an ultimate version of a game people already played and released with little to no fanfare during a time Switch was sitting on GameCube sized install base... both Nintendo and Capcom have some very serious problems on their hands.

Edited on by JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic