Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 53,161 to 53,180 of 53,698

link3710

@TheFrenchiestFry I don't see why the Switch couldn't also compliment the Series S/X. Honestly, I think the big issue is the system doesn't have enough overhead dedicated to the OS to manage gamepass. I could see it coming on a revised model or successor though.

link3710

TheFrenchiestFry

@link3710 No it's not that, it's just that even though Switch has 2 proper Microsoft games under its belt, it's clear that the platform is far from a priority for them, especially with their own next gen console around the corner. If they put something like Game Pass on what's technically a competing console, it would probably lessen the incentive of buying an Xbox for the person who's strictly a console gamer. Switch is more like an extended family member rather than a true component to the long term Xbox ecosystem, and I don't see them doing anything as big as putting the major first party content or services like xCloud/Game Pass on Switch simply because it would probably sway people away from fully committing to their core devices. Series X/S will be the hardware they use as a vehicle to push Game Pass and their first party offerings. Putting them on PC is fine because Microsoft owns Windows and thus sees it fit to integrate it with the Xbox brand, but putting it on other consoles like Switch or PlayStation will really lessen any and all reasons to even invest in an Xbox or PC altogether since you can just play those games on other consoles.

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Grumblevolcano

@TheFrenchiestFry I don't think Microsoft cares at all about Xbox Series X/S hardware sales, just Game Pass subscription numbers. It's more likely something like the way Microsoft wants to implement Game Pass is off-putting for Nintendo, say for example Microsoft may want Game Pass to be plastered all over the eshop like it is on the Xbox store currently.

It's really in your face on the Xbox store, you want to buy a game that's in Game Pass? Too bad, the default option isn't even buying the game anymore it's "Get Game Pass" or probably install if you already have Game Pass.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TheFrenchiestFry

@Grumblevolcano Well yeah that's why they see Series X and S as a vehicle to push Game Pass instead of the only option. Xbox is no longer a console. It's a multitude of devices that connect together and play the same games, but for the core console gamer who doesn't care about xCloud or PC gaming, the Xbox will be that centerpiece that gets them to invest in that ecosystem.

TheFrenchiestFry

kkslider5552000

link3710 wrote:

I dunno, if they couldn't get the port working it'd be one way to actually release it. We might not be getting anymore real third party ports past this point.

I mean, it would, but there's no reason in actual reality to assume that. If there's actual reason to assume Doom Eternal is somehow different enough from the previous game where porting would be more difficult, I'd be happy to hear it. But until then, I can't fathom assuming anything beyond "it'll come out eventually."

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

JaxonH

Ya, let’s not get carried away. Just because a cloud based game was announced and released doesn’t mean previously announced titles are suddenly going to jump the native ship. It’s not taking them multiple years to develop a cloud version port of DOOM Eternal. And cloud games are announced as cloud games.

Anyways, I can appreciate the concern over successful cloud games impacting future native titles. But frankly, I don’t think that’s going to be an issue. The next generation switch is only 3-4 years away. At which point most games will run natively just fine. In which case, they won’t have any reason to rely on the cloud. These cloud games may be relatively successful, but they’ll never sell as much as a native version of the game. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I say if you’re interested, enjoy it for what it is without stressing over cloud versions suddenly taking over for every 3rd party game released.

Besides, by the time enough cloud games release on Switch and see enough success to definitively show viability to the extent future ports not already being worked on are supposedly being moved over, the next system will be releasing anyways. And if Switch 2 lands in the 8th gen power ballpark, there won’t be much need for relying on cloud versions. So ya, just enjoy it for what it is while you can.

PLAYING
NS: Sniper Elite 4, Hyrule Warriors AoC, Pikmin 3, Ori Will of the Wisps
PC: MH World
PS5: Persona 4 Dancing
EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise, MH Stories 2, SMTV, Trails of Cold Steel 4, Ys IX, Neo TWEWY, Bravely Default 2

Jesus is Lord.

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I was thinking more that they planned a native Switch version and at some point cancelled it because they couldn't get it to run decently so they did a cloud version instead and will launch it with all the Year 1 Pass content included.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@JaxonH See that's where the issue is. If they make enough money on cloud games, they won't switch back to native ports when next gen rolls around.

@TheFrenchiestFry On the other hand, GamePass on Switch would also encourage Switch + PS4 owners to jump to Switch + XBSX instead when they upgrade. I geniinely don't think GamePass on Switch would lower Xbox sales at all, in fact, as things stand now it'd probably help.

link3710

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
I mean, that’s pretty wild, baseless speculation. I could speculate that Nintendo is secretly trafficking heroin into China too, but I don’t really have any evidence suggesting that’s the case and it’s not very likely to be the case. Doom Eternal was not secretly cancelled and switched over to a cloud game. It just wasn’t. Panic Button is handling the port, just like DOOM, and Wolfenstein, and Wolfenstein Youngblood.

@link3710
For one, they won’t “make enough”. To “make enough” they’d have to make more than a native game would sell, and that’s not going to happen.

For two, even if they did “make enough”, that doesn’t mean they’d just keep doing it once they have hardware that can run a game. Otherwise they’d be releasing cloud versions on PS and Xbox. But they don’t because they don’t need to (and because cloud versions will sell less, see point #1). Once the next switch is out it’s going to be no different than PS or Xbox inasmuch that, it’s a normal platform that can handle normal games.

It’s not like cloud versions don’t require the same amount of work. We read reports that porting a game to the cloud is just as difficult and just as expensive and just as time-consuming as making a PlayStation version of a game. Relax, A few cloud games releasing because they can’t run on the hardware right now doesn’t mean we’re in danger of mass numbers of third-party developers permanently switching over to making cloud games for dedicated hardware that’s perfectly capable of running the game natively and would sell 10x more as a result.

All this is, is a backup plan for games that can’t run or would look like Outer Worlds if they did. They won’t make as much money, but it can still be profitable as a “better than nothing” alternative. Any game that can run with satisfactory results will be ported natively. Otherwise you’d see cloud games all over the PS storefront right now. There’s no reason once Switch 2 releases that developers would treat it differently than any other platform. Platform A and platform B. Both can run the game natively. Why would they choose to natively port to one but not the other? It’s doesn’t make sense. Especially when they would get more bang for their buck making one cloud version that runs on every platform, yet they still don’t do it. If porting cloud games that could run natively with satisfactory results is more lucrative, they’d be doing it on every single platform.

Seems like there’s a lot of irrational paranoia in response to this, conspiracies of already announced native games being secretly cancelled and switched to cloud games, 3rd parties deciding to just stop developing games natively even when they can run fine, even though that’s not happening on any other platform... careful consideration is one thing, but I think maybe everyone needs to just take a breath here.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise, MH Stories 2, SMTV, Trails of Cold Steel 4, Ys IX, Neo TWEWY, Bravely Default 2

Jesus is Lord.

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH The silence is why I think circumstances may have changed, we haven't heard anything about DOOM Eternal Switch for over a year now outside of the usual smoke and mirrors of "more news coming soon" teases followed by months of no news.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/10/doom_eternal_has_be...

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Magician

I'm not worried about the Switch port of Doom Eternal. From July through September every time Id Software was asked about it their response has continuously been, "it's coming" or "soon". I think it's a good candidate for a January release. But if we get to the end of March with no release or even an update, then I'll worry.

Switch Physical Collection - 671 games (as of November 27th, 2020)
Currently playing: Va-11 Hall-A (Switch)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

TheFrenchiestFry

@Grumblevolcano I can't see Eternal getting a cloud version for the simple reason that not only would that piss off everyone who actually expected Bethesda to give the same amount of care and effort into that version of the game as they did DOOM 2016's port, but it would also kind of be flipping the finger to Panic Button after all the work they did up to that point considering they're mostly responsible for the native Switch conversion process.

TheFrenchiestFry

JaxonH

The changes in Bravely Default II address virtually every complaint I had. Difficulty, turn order notification, menu redesign, and much, much more. Even has active time battle system now!

@Grumblevolcano
I remember similar comments made about Dragon Quest XI S being cancelled despite them continually telling us yes, it’s still on track, we’ll talk when we’re ready. Same thing here. The game is being worked on and they’ve given multiple updates saying they’re still working on it and just recently they said news will be coming soon.

That’s not silence. That’s the opposite of silence. They simply aren’t ready to reveal it. Like DQXIS, they’ll show it when they’re ready, which according to them, will be soon.

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Northwind

[eShop rant]
I already have HW:AoC pre-ordered in the eShop. I wanted to download the demo. I went into my 'pre-orders' tab, knowing the game would be listed there. And indeed it was - but, lo and behold, Nintendo doesn't include any way to get from there to pre-ordered games' shop pages. In other words, even if you've already got a game pre-ordered, you still need to manually search out its shop page to download a demo (or to even see its shop page, for any reason).

In terms of horrid design and coding, this is as bad as Nintendo never givng you console-notifications when any of your Wish List items go on sale (but merely sending email notifications that almost always trip spam filters, so users often don't even see them), and almost as bad as the eShop not automatically removing a game from the Wish List after a user purchases the game directly from the Wish List (requiring users to go back into the Wish List - another 2-3 points of interaction - and manually remove the game they've just purchased).
[rant over]

Edited on by Northwind

Autocorrect keeps causing me to write things I didn't Nintendo.

My Nintendo: Northwind | Twitter:

BruceCM

Yeah, I don't bother with their wishlist, since it's pointless .... It hadn't appeared in the news part but it was in the 'discover' section I've pre-ordered the physical, as I usually do for games like this

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

Eel

I use the wishlist as my "sale watch list".

Every now and then, I'll check it to see if any of the games there are on sale.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

jump

Eel wrote:

I use the wishlist as my "sale watch list".

Every now and then, I'll check it to see if any of the games there are on sale.

Same here, ever since NintendoLife stopped including sales as part of the UK download news I've jut used the watchlist to see what's on sale I could be tempted by at a glance once a week.

I'm currently hoping Jurassic World will go on sale even though it's not even released yet.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

JaxonH

Ok, Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity is crazy good.

I wasn’t the biggest fan of the first Hyrule Warriors. I mean, it was good, but not exceptional imo. But this game? This game is exceptional. The combat is so good- playing as Impa is nuts. I love when she teleports into the air and paraglides like a flying squirrel lol. There’s Korok seeds to find, all the special rune skills to use, with gyro which feels amazing...

This is the best Warriors style game I’ve ever played, and makes other games in the genre feel dull by comparison.

PLAYING
EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

link3710

@JaxonH For a cloud version to "sell enough", it needs to turn a higher profit, not higher sales. And with development costs significantly lower than a port, the lost sales don't necessarily mean a loss in profit. Quite frankly, we don't have the numbers as to which is more profitable.

And I'm not going to help make it profitable for them to abandon real games I can play wherever, whenever. I don't care if it is paranoia, if cloud games become more profitable, even with reduced sales, real games will go away, that's capitalism.

Edit: Also, quite frankly, most of my gaming time is spent out of range of the internet. So not only would a cloud version be difficult for me to play as is, but if they swap most games over to cloud releases I'll probably have to stop playing games entirely.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic