Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 53,141 to 53,160 of 69,963

JaxonH

@rallydefault
It’s a common complaint from new players, and it comes from the fact that every thing you do has an animation commitment. Some weapons have larger animation commitments than others. I typically recommend faster weapons for new players because their animations are shorter. So, dual blades or long sword. Though I can also recommend hunting horn now that they revamped it. It’s crazy fun and fluid, and simpler to understand.

It also takes some getting used to but once you do, it makes other games feel inferior by comparison. It is my opinion that monster hunter combat is the best combat of any video game ever made. It’s so tactical and strategic. You can’t just smash buttons willy-nilly. Each and every attack must be intentional and you should know ahead of time what you’re going to do before you press that button, and how long the animation will play out. And that just comes with experience. The absolute worst thing you can do is bounce around with different weapons. You really need to pick one weapon and learn it properly.

Then it’s best to just take some time and learn a few basic combos stringing 2-3 attacks together (or more, depending on the weapon being used). Practice in the tutorial quests just seeing which combinations of X, A, X+A and R can do a decent combo (also some can be held to charge like with hammer and great sword). Then practice your wirebug attacks holding ZL and using X and A.

Stick to the beginner quest. Don’t attempt the intermediate. It’s even hard for me, and I’m a vet with 2000 hrs under my belt. Reason is, they don’t let you eat a meal before the demo quests so your health isn’t expanded, and your gear is kind of under leveled for the intermediate hunt. But the beginner hunt has 2 OTHER monsters roaming around that aren’t the target, but you can still hunt them to have fun and practice.

Then, once you’ve gotten the controls down, or at least the basics, consider watching a Gaijin Hunter tutorial for your chosen weapon. He made tutorials for each of the 14 weapon types and they can be found on YouTube. They’re for MH World, but the move sets are essentially the same, aside from the new wirebug moves (and hunting horn which was completely revamped). The videos are usually only 10 or 15 minutes but it’s worth watching the video to learn how to master your weapon. Your weapon is an extension of your hunter. If you don’t know your weapon you’re going to fumble around and it’s going to feel clunky, because the game was not meant for mindless button mashing, but rather, deliberate strategic attacks.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

@JaxonH
https://apnews.com/article/9391149002

That's an AP piece summarizing why the virus likely developed naturally.

Call me cynical, but "some scientists said so" no longer counts as a fact check in my mind. Scientists are very easily swept up into political agendas, given how much of their funding comes from keeping the right people happy. In the last year alone, we've had scientists lying about mask efficacy, claiming that some forms of political protests are more justified than others (an entirely non-scientific claim), and then changing their definitions of scientific concepts like "herd immunity" in order to support certain political policies.

The lab theory issue is a good example of this. The main scientist who got a group of "experts" to denounce the conspiracy theory in the Lancet back in February, was later revealed to have been the same guy who was helping fund the Wuhan lab, through NIH grants. It was covered in this recent article in NYMag: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/coronavirus-lab-escap...

The fact that they don't mention stuff like that when they "debunk" something, and just present themselves as disinterested experts, who only care about truth, is sketchy as hell.

I'm not saying it's necessarily true. I have no idea. But it is incredibly plausible, and I don't buy that it's been debunked at all.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

MPSSislit

@Eel
I was wondering the same thing. 🤔

Please give Ninjala a chance, guys. 🤔
As @Sunsy said,
Ninjala Gang FOR LIFE!
Also, if I don't respond to your post within a day (or two), don't worry, I'm not ignoring you. I'm going to be busy, though I will do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

jump

Because we need to blame someone/something for the stock shortages of Ring Fit Adventures. ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

link3710

@Giancarlothomaz While that's probably correct I'll wait for the official announcement. Or at least the NA sales numbers, that should be enough to push it over 3DS even with most PAL regions (and Brazil) not releasing numbers publically. Probably.

link3710

JaxonH

@rallydefault
Pro Tips For Beginners

• Start with Dual Blades or Long Sword. Long sword combo is X X A X X+A
  • Turn off auto sheath
  • Turn on gyro, disable for camera though
  • Change camera turn speed from “Default” to the next option down- the camera turns too fast on default
  • LOCK ONTO THE MONSTER WITH R3, and then tap L to swing the camera at the monster as needed
  • Stamina drains over time- all that red is lost max stamina. Eat a ration or well done steak to refill (try to do when not in combat lol)! Also, sharpen your weapon with the whetstone every time the monster runs off or when sharpness decreases from green to yellow.
  • KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR HEALTH! Half health is not good enough. One water spout attack from Mizutsune Will one-shot you if you’re not at full health. Stay topped up any time you’re a quarter below full.
  • Don’t ignore your items. Take from supply inside camp tent and the blue item supply box outside of the tent. You have shock traps, pitfall traps, etc... Use them! If Mizutsune affects you with bubble blight, use the cleanser to get rid of it. If affected with water blight where stamina bar turns blue (which means your stamina use is increased) eat a nulberry
  • Learn to sheath your weapon in between attack bursts. Leaving your weapon drawn kills your mobility. Attack, attack, dodge roll away, sheath, reposition —> rinse and repeat

If you want a hunting partner to help you take down some monsters and show you the ropes once you’ve felt out the game a bit, let me know.

FREE 7 DAY NINTENDO ONLINE TRIAL FOR MONSTER HUNTER
https://my.nintendo.com/rewards/d31d38876273011a

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Eel

jump wrote:

Because we need to blame someone/something for the stock shortages of Ring Fit Adventures. ;p

Nah that's because I bought the last one they had!

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Giancarlothomaz

@JaxonH nice tips, theres a options to turn the HD Rumble on Monster Hunter Rise?(i found very suspicious and strange, there barely no rumble on the game, you can see by my quote i love HD Rumble), my favorite Monster Hunter weapons are the dual Sword and the hammer.

Edited on by Giancarlothomaz

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

jump

Eel wrote:

jump wrote:

Nah that's because I bought the last one they had!

GET HIM!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

StuTwo

Giancarlothomaz wrote:

with 76.905.986 units sold Switch, outsold the Nintendo 3DS(75.905.986 units sold).

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/01/the_switch_has_now_...

Surpassing the Wii total is now seemingly inevitable - maybe even by the end of this year. It'd probably get there without any more games and just a price cut but of course we know that there are some big system selling games still on the horizon.

Out of interest - an old article on NL:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/09/credit_suisse_forec...

Very interesting to read some of the comments on there. Few people thought that 100 million+ units was realistic. One prominent NLer was doubting that the Switch would even survive 4 years on the market.

130 million by the start of 2022 is obviously still not happening but the idea of getting there at some point is clearly no longer something that would be laughed out of hand.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

JaxonH

@StuTwo
That’s fantastic 😁 Leave it to you to hold people accountable for what they said in 2017. Too many people spout off nonsense and then slither under a rock afterwards.

I remember gatorboi trolling us all throughout 2017, saying Switch would “fall off a mountain” once it hit 30 mil because only diehards were buying it. Then they disappeared about a year later when it was clear Switch was unstoppable.

JaxonH

@Eel
Did he? I suppose that’s not too surprising. He certainly deserved it.

Switch had a lot of hate directed toward it in 2017. A LOT of hate. A certain segment of gamers loyal to other platforms didn’t take kindly to Nintendo rising from the ashes of Wii U and becoming so popular with Switch. Which is really weird to me, because the market is big enough for everyone. It’s not like Switch was directly challenging Sony or MS or PC. It’s providing a different product they didn’t offer.

I quit going to PushSquare after they ran an article about Switch where half their members were saying “lol lol epic fail, stupidest console ever made, worse than Wii U... welp, looks like Nintendo will be going 3rd party soon lol lol!” Just trashing it left and right. And I thought, what the heck, you lot were championing Vita and how amazing it was, but somehow Switch, a handheld that can do far more and works as a hybrid, is laughable? How entrenched in fanboyism are you? After that I said I can’t do it. I can’t keep coming here, these people are raging ideologues brimming over with insecurity.

And I know we see some irrational fanboyism here too, but I can’t ever recall an entire comment section trashing PS5 with “lol lol what a stupid console, EPIC fail, looks like Sony’s going 3rd party soon!”. Sure, a lot of people are disinterested or say it’s not for them, but never mocking and trashing. Or if they do, I must have them blocked so I don’t see it. But I typically stay out of the comments here for other reasons. The endless low key jabs from certain members gets old after a while. Most rational people who want real discussions are in the forums. It filters out the bad apples.

Edited on by JaxonH

BenAV

@JaxonH How dare every single system not cater to my personal tastes exclusively.

Edited on by BenAV

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

FragRed

@JaxonH I hate Push Square. The very same people who talk down about Nintendrones being the worst fan base, somehow manage to make themselves the worst fan base. I just saw an article on there yesterday where half the comments were rightly saying £70/$70 is too much for games and the other half getting quite abusive towards them for not spending so much money on games, especially games developed/published by Sony.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

jedgamesguy

@JaxonH I go there for PS news and the comments section there is far more unrestricted as to how toxic it can be. Shame, because if their community was even remotely like NL's I'd make an account and chat over there too. And besides what rational justification is there for agreeing with a £69.99 video game pricetag @FragRed? It only means budget-restricted people like me will buy less PlayStation games over a calendar year. Which sucks considering at times Sony's lineup has been at least near Nintendo's level when it wants to be. I know for a fact (read: I heavily anticipate) that Horizon: Forbidden West, and Gran Turismo 7 will be groundbreaking games, but in spite of that would I pay that much? Even Returnal was priced like that and honestly that game has not made an impression on me. My bad for doing this on the NS thread but you both make very good points.

Honestly I had some slight doubts over how the Switch would do when it launched nearly four years ago (wow, that was fast, right?). But it ended up doing so well that by the end of that year I got my own. And the momentum they have is absolutely terrifying, all things considered. Their sales figures have just been getting better and better every year, and while 2020 may have hurt Nintendo economically with their supply chain, and with developing games, they've sold crazy amounts. By April 2022 it's easy seeing them surpassing the Wii's sales figures, which already were monumental in their own right.

@StuTwo If you told me that 100m was right around the corner, I wouldn't have believed you! Their momentum hasn't been stopped by coronavirus, thankfully, but it never really crossed my mind until now, that these once seemingly-bold predictions are set to become true!

And off topic but off the back of watching the Persona 4 anime two things come to mind. First, Atlus had better make a P3/P4 collection for their 25th anniversary. Second, I can't help but pronounce the "Rise" in Monster Hunter Rise as "Rise" from Persona 4. There's no way to tell across the written word and I have literally no idea why it's become a thing in my head, but it's time to hunt female Yasogami High underclassmen instead of dragons.

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic