Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 53,061 to 53,080 of 69,988

jedgamesguy

Xbox never screamed "inclusive" as far as game lineups go. How many childrens' or even E10 games do they even have? And in that how many are exclusives? Adults are their main demographic so that would have helped them by increasing their market at least.

But that proposition even in 2001 was so laughable even stoic Japanese execs couldn't hold it in for an HOUR.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Magician

Nintendo games felt "right at home" on Xbox. I rather enjoy playing NES, SNES, and N64 games on my modded OG Xbox. But then I had to import a couple Xbox S controllers from Japan because the d-pad on "The Duke" controller was garbage. Murica got the Xbox S controller a couple years later.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

WoomyNNYes

@theJGG I don't disagree what what you said, but I did notice a change. In recent years, Microsoft bought the dev studio that made Disneyland Adventure. I don't know if Microsoft went further than that, but I have noticed the Switch has a very tiny amount of disney games compared to previous Nintendo consoles, while Xbox One has a robust selection of Disney games. I thought for sure, Disneyland Adventure would come to the Switch, but it didn't.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

jedgamesguy

@WoomyNNYes I didn't notice that, thank you for enlightening me! I don't have one, so I'm looking at this from a purely outsider perspective, and I can understand that they have tried to expand their target market. To begin with they were adult / gun-gamer focused, and they seem to pride themselves in their vast collection of M rated shooter games. And in that Microsoft don't really have a solid brace of RPGs for the Xbox, same with simulation racer games (arcade ones like The Crew or Forza Horizon don't count). I've tried one and it's not up my alley but kudos to them for at least looking like they care about the lil' uns.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

jump

@WoomyNNYes That's largely because after Disney Infinity underperformed they shut down Disney Interactive Studios hence not alot of Disney games coming out in general now.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Grumblevolcano

Most of Nintendo's franchises are rated Everyone to Teen, somewhat recently used Xbox franchises in the same age rating are:

• Halo (5 onwards)
  • Forza Motorsport
  • Forza Horizon
  • Minecraft
  • Sea of Thieves
  • Ori
  • Battletoads
  • Age of Empires (currently PC exclusive)
  • Flight Sim

Doesn't explain Reach but the other earlier Halo games I'm pretty sure are rated M because of the Flood adding horror elements to the franchise (4 didn't have the Flood in the campaign itself as destroyable enemies but appeared elsewhere).

Honestly I wouldn't surprised if Metroid went M rated at some point if Prime 4 does well enough that future Metroid games are made, Fusion felt like it may have been a M rated horror game had it been on more powerful hardware instead of confined to the graphical limitations of the GBA.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

WoomyNNYes

jump wrote:

@WoomyNNYes That's largely because after Disney Infinity underperformed they shut down Disney Interactive Studios hence not alot of Disney games coming out in general now.

Ah, interesting. Thanks @jump

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Buizel

Mad that anyone at Microsoft thought that would be a good idea - anyone who knows anything about Nintendo would've predicted that wouldn't go down well. Then again, this is Microsoft at the turn of the millennium so I guess they had a bit of an ego going.

At least 2'8".

Giancarlothomaz

this can be the games Nintendo will release on Switch in 2021.

Edited on by Giancarlothomaz

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

link3710

Mmmm... a 2D metroid, BotW2, an FE remake, Pokemon remakes sounds like a pretty likely schedule tbh. Splatoon... a spinoff perhaps? Not sure what the future of that series will look like.

link3710

rallydefault

@theJGG
See, I disagree - I think Microsoft has always been pretty open with the range of games they allow on the Xbox. It's true they don't have a lot of "kid" games, especially earlier in the Xbox timespan, but I don't know if that's from MS turning anything away. But when it comes to indies and smaller devs, I would argue that MS was right there supporting those devs through Arcade and other programs way more than Nintendo and Sony at that time. PC will always be the birthplace and haven for indies, but MS ushered in the success of indies on consoles as far as I'm concerned.

As @WoomyNNYes said, MS has definitely opened up even more in recent years.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Giancarlothomaz

@Grumblevolcano well considering how darker and mature Prime 2 and 3 was,there a high possibilty, Metroid Prime 4 can be the first M-rated game of the Metroid franchise or the rumored 2D Metroid game that continues the Metroid Fusion history.

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

TheFrenchiestFry

I doubt Metroid's ever going the M rated route

I think the formula as it is works perfectly fine and there isn't really much you can do with Metroid that would justify the change in rating without altering major aspects of how the game is presented. I never played Metroid for the horror. There is unsettling imagery in Metroid like a giant brain that shoots lasers and a pterodactyl looking creature who ate her parents, but Metroid always succeeded more at being ambient while still keeping you on the edge without the jumpscares truly ever coming. It has that Demon's/Dark Souls quality in my eyes, not so much Resident Evil or Fatal Frame or anything like that

Plus I'd rather Nintendo actually bring back M-rated franchises they have the rights to like ahem ETERNAL DARKNESS?

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Ralizah

Nintendo doesn't need M-rated franchises, IMO. I like their more family-friendly approach to first-party content combined with their permissive attitudes toward third parties (vs the censorious approach Sony is taking).

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

kkslider5552000

If Nintendo were going to make any of their series M rated, Metroid is probably the best choice? I'm not saying they should but there's at least a logic to it, particularly because of its heavy influence from Alien.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

jedgamesguy

@rallydefault No big secret, I don’t like the Xbox. But I’m not going to go around hating it blindly, I want to know as much as I can first. And to their credit Microsoft was compliant enough to allow indie developers to port games like Cuphead and Ori, onto Switch. Granted I’m sure there’s silver lining but goodwill like that is never bad.

@kkslider5552000 I agree but would they, really? I can’t see them making an alien shooter with realistic blood effects and violence. If Nintendo in the eighties played that game, it would have never been released. Makes sense considering the whole vibe of Metroid for me, but hopefully they don’t take that path.

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

kkslider5552000

theJGG wrote:

I agree but would they, really? I can’t see them making an alien shooter with realistic blood effects and violence.

I mean I really can't either but if they're desperate to try to make Metroid a bigger deal, its not impossible.

note: there's a good chance an M rating wouldn't make Metroid more popular

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

JaxonH

Fatal Frame and Bayonetta provide the Nintendo M rated games. The fact Nintendo by nature (no pun intended there, @NintendoByNature 😉) creates games for everyone means it’s not a niche they should artificially attempt to fulfill.

Best to have partnerships, published franchises and 2nd party studies do that.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH you dragged me back in lol. It's been a good week since I've posted( at least it feels that way hah). I don't know exactly what were talking about here. But all I gotta say is metroid E, T, or M rated, I'm all in. I mean..... we're going on 4 years for switch life span at this point. Where the hell is some metroid? I've given up on the trilogy coming to switch so I'll prob just snag the wii/wii u version.

I'm sure you all talked about the silly "direct leak" by now. I watched RGTs vid on it earlier since I didn't really read the articles on it. Man, April 23rd baby!!! Lol. Id say its not possible to have that many games releasing on one day but let's not forget what 2k and Nintendo did on May 29th last year. And how Capcom released 3 resident evil games in one day. While that leak does sound crazy, it seems normal enough for the big N 😋

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Zuljaras

I don't even want to hear any rated kiddie, girlie game ideas. 😤😡
Just provide more 18+, brutal, gory and bloody games for Nintendo Switch.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic