Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 53,021 to 53,040 of 69,997

jump

They do great work so I'm happy with this, Nintendo need more western developers to add a different sensibility to themselves. I'm curious to the reason why though, maybe with Coivd they were struggling so needed financial help or Ninty are actively looking to expand their portfolio of developers?

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano Yeah but again it’s also Nintendo. They are incredibly picky about any such buy out, hence why it’s been so long since the last one. Why buy a studio already exclusively working with you unless you absolutely need to? They’ve let other developers come and go no problem but something must have made Nintendo open that dusty wallet of theirs.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

BenAV

Now get them to make a new Mario Strikers.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

Haruki_NLI

I imagine after LM3, their talent was obvious and given Nintendo and Sony apparently want everything at any cost...yeah.

I imagine it was an easy choice for both sides here. Great western talent, and evidently Next Level enjoys working with Nintendo, given they've openly stated they get to tell Nintendo when a game is done.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Grumblevolcano

As for my JRPG question, the mentioning of Octopath Traveler reminded me that there's a bunch of 2018 games (variety of genres) I got and forgot about (for me Switch 2018 was all about Wii U ports and Xenoblade 2 being supported with new content most of the year meanwhile Nintendo forgets to mention anything that isn't Smash).

• Sushi Striker
  • Octopath Traveler (completed the original demo but forgot about the full game)
  • Crash Trilogy (Crash 1's difficulty is brutal so I make small progress and then move onto something else)
  • Super Mario Party (Even Nintendo forgot about this game, one of the very few 1st party Switch games that didn't get any post-launch support)
  • Pokemon Let's Go (No pro controller support puts me off playing it)

Sushi Striker should last until the MH Rise demo given there's a MH Rise digital event on Thursday.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jump

Haruki_NLI wrote:

I imagine after LM3, their talent was obvious and given Nintendo and Sony apparently want everything at any cost...yeah.

I imagine it was an easy choice for both sides here. Great western talent, and evidently Next Level enjoys working with Nintendo, given they've openly stated they get to tell Nintendo when a game is done.

I disagree with that as Ninty have never seemed that fussed about spending their way into things, it's a fairly common complaint that they could be buying up exclusives/companies but they choose not to.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

FragRed

This sounds totally like something Nintendo would do, more to the point, Miyamoto would enforce. Though at the same time, Nintendo must have given it the okay at the time so something must have changed.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Dezzy

Hmmmm when do we hear more about Mario 3D World then? I wonder if they're doing a Direct or just a couple more trailers for it?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy I'd guess next week either way, Animal Crossing wasn't properly promoted until a month before launch. This week seems to be focused on MH Rise.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

@Dezzy Unless there’s a lot to showcase that needs a Direct, I can see Nintendo just shadow dropping a trailer or two. I keep going back and forth on whether I expect the expansion to be big or not. On the one hand, if they reuse a lot of assets then it wouldn’t be too much extra work to create a larger world. But on the other hand, I could see Nintendo selling this game with only a small world containing a few levels knowing it’s going to sell anyway as there’s a lot of people who never owned a Wii U and a lot of others will double dip.

jump

FragRed wrote:

This sounds totally like something Nintendo would do, more to the point, Miyamoto would enforce. Though at the same time, Nintendo must have given it the okay at the time so something must have changed.

My understanding was rather than Strikers it was due to a proposed Mario wrestling game "Super Mario Spikers" from Next Level and Ninty didn't like it.

Nicolai wrote:

Dezzy

@FragRed

Well I'm hoping their thinking is something like "the more copies it sold on Wii U, the more new content we need to provide in order to make sure the Wii U people doube-dip".

Cos 3D World sold like 6 million on the Wii U. That's a lotta people to try and tempt back for a second time. Very different to games like Donkey Kong and Captain Toad, which only sold like a million each on Wii U, or something thereabouts.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

FragRed

@Dezzy That is true. I am curious to see what Nintendo has to announce for this game. Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later and they show it to be pretty meaty. This is likely Nintendo's only game this quarter and therefore the last one before end of financial year so they will want to move some units.

link3710

Nintendo buying NLG is honestly a huge surprise, but given they were already contracted to produced Nintendo titles exclusively it makes sense. It's not going to change anything though for us I'm sure, given that fact. It's like if they acquired Intelligent Systems or HAL Laboratory.

link3710

Giancarlothomaz

@FragRed oh that explain, why Mario spin-off like the Paper Mario franchise is filled with bland character design(this is very sad to know, i want original characters Nintendo, not 100.000 Toads in the next Paper Mario game).

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

rallydefault

Every time I try to get back into Kingdom Hearts, I start the first game and immediately plunge back into the stiff controls and camera. Sometimes I can push through and start to enjoy it again, but mostly it's like... "Oh yea... this was fun 20 years ago..." lol

It's a great game series, obviously, but the first game especially is very old at this point. I'm basing this on my original disc that I still have. I'm not sure if the collections have remastered the game beyond visuals.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

link3710

@rallydefault It's... slightly better on the collections, but generally speaking there's little point in going all the way back to KH1.

link3710

link3710

@WaveWitch If you don't like Sonic 2 / 3 then you won't like Mania, nope. Not sure why you'd think otherwise, considering it's been heralded as a return to Sonics heyday.

...Sonic 1 is exactly as you described though.

link3710

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic