Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 52,941 to 52,960 of 53,152

JaxonH

Great. Another 1/7 scale figure I feel compelled to buy. Thought KOS-MOS from Xenoblade 2 would be the last one. And then Melia from Xenoblade Chronicles was announced. And now Lynn from Fire Emblem GBA.

Untitled

Beaucine wrote:

StuTwo wrote:

Thirdly Nintendo is in some ways a reminder that video games are an inherently childish pursuit which some of the games press don't want. They want to feel like they're playing "serious games" that have important things to say about the world and not - you know - being 30 or 40 something man-children who should probably have got "real jobs".

This is interesting, probably true, and a bit sad.

I think this perception is why videogames are both a cultural and commercial juggernaut that rakes in billions of dollars worldwide — and, also, a niche phenomenon. This is changing thanks to casual and mobile gamers, but it still largely rings true.

Of course, the whole "videogames are for children" argument breaks into pieces if you look at it for about two seconds. Go to your local park and you'll see senior citizens playing chess. Go to a library and you'll see senior citizens reading books. Videogames are both games and narratives. There's nothing about them that requires they be only for children. But cultural stereotypes die hard and the long road to legitimacy will be winding indeed.

It’s unfortunate, but this push to legitimize gaming by only embracing the side of it that can be characterized as “thought provoking” and “serious”, is a direct result of those very people failing to accept gaming themselves.

They’re ashamed of what gaming really is, so instead of working to erode the social stigma against it, they’d rather see all of gaming transformed into something they feel others will more readily accept. Instead of presenting gaming for what it is and working to change others’ perceptions about it, their insecurities lead them to work toward changing gaming itself.

I never try to masquerade my hobby as more than it is, and I never cower from telling people my hobby is gaming. I normalize it by not being ashamed.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Pikmin 3, Ori Will of the Wisps, FE Three Houses
PC: Persona 4, Monster Hunter World

EXCITED FOR
NS: Monster Hunter Rise, Monster Hunter Stories 2, SMT5
PC: Cyberpunk 2077

Jesus is Lord.

Beaucine

JaxonH wrote:

It’s unfortunate, but this push to legitimize games by only embracing the side of gaming that can be presented as “thought provoking” and “serious”, is a direct result of those very people failing to accept gaming themselves.

I agree, though we've been here before: with films, with popular music, and with comics.

That said, videogames have additional stigmas: they're not only popular and low-brow, they're also games. And what's more: they're associated with the tech industry, where the discourse isn't about art and personal expression but about upgrade cycles, product iteration, customer retention, and technological obsolescence. It won't be easy for the medium to shake off so much baggage.

On the issue of games, despite eighty years of ludological studies following 1938's Homo Ludens, our culture continues to underestimate and undermine the value of play and playfulness. It doesn't help that play is usually unproductive, while adulthood is supposed to be about productiveness. Weirdly enough, there's now a wide-ranging effort, across many productive fields, to gamify everything from healthcare to office work. It's alternatively charming and dystopian. The overarching goal is to give playfulness a commercial or corporate function.

Films and comics are narrative and aesthetic experiences like theater and literature. Even in their infancy, they could tap into existing mental models of how art and culture are meant to be consumed. Videogames don't have it so easy. Their closest analogue, in audiovisual media, is film. But this isn't a great fit. Installations in modern art museums and hypertext novels are more game-like, but they're also niche and high-brow, so they aren't helpful, either.

We'll see how it all works out, or doesn't, in time.

Edited on by Beaucine

Beaucine

Shadowthrone

Some forms of entertainment have always been unfairly viewed as "juvenile".
There are many blatant examples. Reading - books is considered intellectual, while comics considered something for kids. Comics have evolved long past that and have the ability to tell amazing stories.
Games are mostly only considered as something kids in the 'video' format. Chess, checker, basketball, football and the like are all games played for fun, but it is more socially acceptable to be into those than video games. I have been asked how I can sit and play a game for hours...by people who will sit and watch other people on TV hit a frozen rubber puck around with sticks for hours.
Even within a hobby. Collectors, for instance. I have a rather large collection of movie memorabilia (much of which has one focus), but also some from video games. I have it on display in my house. This is generally viewed as a juvenile thing. Simply substitute that stuff with sports memorabilia and suddenly its accepted as more 'adult'. Personally, I don't see the difference.
I have seen progress in this in my lifetime and personally, I don't care. I have a Master Sword hanging in my living room. I have a picture in my living room of me and my son when we met Jeremy Bulloch (who played Boba Fett in the original Star Wars trilogy) that he also signed for us. I have a white and black truck, that I took advantage of the colors by having Stormtrooper plates and Stormtrooper things on it. No different than sports team plates and decals to me.
One of the biggest changes I've seen over the decades towards normalizing peoples interests outside of established cultural norms is those people not being ashamed of it anymore.
In probably an unpopular opinion, the changes in their infancy within the gaming industry now might lead to wider acceptance and normalizing them. Streaming games being the big one. As @Beaucine pointed out, being tied to the tech industry, with hardware cycles and being so tied to tech is going to matter a lot less when Joe Average can stream the latest, greatest game on whatever device he has. It's only just started, it won't be too far off when Smart TVs themselves have the ability to do this. He no longer has to worry about it. Just subscribe to a service and he's good to go without being tied to tech side of it or any of the baggage that goes along with needing hardware. I think there's a lot of people who would play more if those shackles were dropped. As much as many of those within the community now are seemingly against streaming games, I think it'll go a long way to stripping away that stigma.

Shadowthrone

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH A factor not being discussed here is that realism is what forces the need for more powerful hardware. The constant drive for extremely realistic games is why hardware like Series X and PS5 is needed, for Nintendo stuff anything more powerful than somewhere between PS4 and PS4 Pro would likely be diminishing returns. 3rd party support is the reason Nintendo would want more powerful hardware.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

I’m all for streaming games, I’m just not personally interested and I think it’s going to take decades, not years, before it ever truly starts gaining a significant foothold.

I don’t feel threatened by it because I know Nintendo hybrids and PC gaming will always be around. If streaming eats into any market share, it’ll be PlayStation and Xbox. Tens of millions of consoles sold to GTA, FIFA, Madden and NBA 2k fans each generation, to people who would probably much rather stream if the tech was already present as an app on their tv and they didn’t have to jump through any hoops to access it. And I think there’s plenty of market share for streaming to take, even if it is Sony or MS who ultimately gains a foothold in that space. Either way, it’s no sweat off my back, and if it’ll help gaming become more accepted socially, I’m even more for it.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Agreed.

PS3/360/Wii U/Switch level of power is where you can finally start making decent looking HD games, but it’s not enough.

X1/PS4 level of power gets VERY close to being enough.

X1X/PS4P level of power is enough. Anything beyond that is just extravagance. I’d give it another two generations- not the Switch 2 in 2024, but the Switch 3 in 2030... that’s when we’ll basically have hit the limit of what we need for a hybrid console device.

HOWEVER, with battery life taken into account, and the incredible gains seen by DLSS technology, it’s possible we hit the limit of what we need next gen with Switch 2, IF they leverage the tech.

PLAYING

EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

rallydefault

@JaxonH
I don't know if game streaming is "decades" off, as you say; I'd fall more into the 3-5 years camp, but I do take your point. I think the streaming tech itself is getting to a good place, but the largest roadblock remaining is consumer internet access/speed, and that roadblock (at least in the U.S.) is likely to stick around for quite some time. Just looking at local newspaper headlines from around the country, there are towns that are only now, in 2020, receiving access to broadband internet, and it's heralded as a huge deal.

You also have penny-pinching internet companies throttling speeds after ridiculously low thresholds are met, frequent outages (just ask my workplace lol), and outrageous costs for higher speeds still the norm. That's what I think is going to keep the first half of the next generation firmly rooted in physical and digital download, with streaming making strides, of course, but ultimately remaining niche until the mid 2020s.

rallydefault

DannyBoi

When do you think the next system update(version.11.0) is coming?

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

1UP_MARIO

Next week

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

JaxonH

Sniper Elite 4 is finally up for preorder on retail sites. Easy buy with gyro aiming and the quality of Sniper Elite III on Switch.

Tried the Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memories demo, and to my surprise, it’s actually pretty good. Better than I was expecting, that’s for sure. I really do like it.

Finished the Pikmin 3 demo for the second time, only in this run managed to beat the Armored Mawdad on my 4th day and get all the items back to the Onion in time. Found a whole garden of Rock Pikmin planted in the ground in the original rock Pikmin onion location before it merged with the red onion. For the life of me I couldn’t figure out why it kept saying I had 100 Pikmin in the field when I only had 84 in my squad and had called all back to the ship.

I’m also enamored with Mario Kart Live. I’m not gonna buy it, but I think it’s brilliant. I’ve been binging on YouTube videos watching people play home made courses with their cats being chased around and it’s fab to the max.

PLAYING

EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

TheFrenchiestFry

So Nomura's potentially teasing a new Switch project now

Obviously my inner child wants it to be The World Ends with You Too but it's also coming close to the end of FFVII Remake's exclusivity period with PS4 so MAYBE?

I know the Switch would probably melt like hot fudge rendering the Scorpion boss fight since my PS4 was kind of stuttering during the final phase when stuff goes crazy and it starts wrecking the place but one can hope. I'd certainly pick it up again if it did since I own all the other PS Final Fantasy games released on Switch.

It could be TWEWY though as well considering the anime is on its way.

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

DarthNocturnal

Half a year isn't exactly close, is it? Or at least, not close enough that I'd expect an announcement for Xbox, let alone Switch.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

JaxonH

I don’t think FFVII Remake will release on Switch. Square Enix seems to have little interest to put forth the effort needed to port modern AAA games.

And... that’s fine. I love FF (seeing FFX/X-2 and FFXII on Switch was my #1 request for a time), but modern FF has fallen off. I liked FFXV, up until about half ways through the game, where I lost any interest of continuing to play. And the new one looks to stray even farther from it’s roots. Which means I really only care about the classics moving forward, and aside from FFVII remake we’ve already got the ones I cared most about. I doubt it’ll come to Switch, but that’s fine, since it’s the last FF game I’m gonna care much about anyways. What I’d really like to see is FFVI remade in the Octopath engine designed for Switch ground up. It would probably sell as many copies as FFVII remake, tbh. No idea why they don’t do that.

In any case, it’s either an exclusive Kingdom Hearts for Switch similar to Dream Drop Distance on 3DS, or its The World Ends With You 2. Personally, I think it’s TWEWY2. Where there’s smoke, there’s fire, and SE seems to want to build out separate brands on Nintendo such as Bravely Default, Octopath Traveler and The World Ends With You, rather than just include Switch for new releases of Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy. Although, I suspect TWEWY2 will only have timed exclusivity.

Switch 2 or, if Switch Pro manages DLSS somehow (which I doubt, but is possible) we could see FFVII Remake make the jump. I figure it’ll eventually go hybrid, but it’ll be years down the line after they’ve milked it for all it’s worth on PS/Xbox/PC and re-released to sell again on PS5, then repackaged with part 2 to sell again after that (similar to how they repackaged Kingdom Hearts collection like 5 times). Then, once the last collection is being sold off with orange clearance stickers for $20, that’s when we’ll see it announced for whatever Switch is around at that time.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal Given how there's still multiple FF Game Pass releases left in 2020 and 2020 doesn't have much time left. I'd guess the next big Xbox event does a situation like:

• FFVII Remake coming to Game Pass in April 2021
  • All the remaining FF games that were announced at X019 for Game Pass release in 2020 which aren't on Game Pass currently come to Game Pass shortly after the event (8, 10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, Lightning Returns)

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Giancarlothomaz

@DannyBoi i hope and expect is next week at earliest or close to the Holiday season, and please Nintendo add Themes and Folders on Switch, soon with a lot of games i have planned to buy, my Switch is gonna need a Folder to better organize my games in my Switch, i plan to buy Hyrule Warriors, Age of Calamity, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild 2, Monster Hunter Rise, the rumored 2D Metroid game that continues the Metroid Fusion history, maybe Super Mario Odyssey 2 if Nintendo release this game, the very ambitous Kirby game that Hal Laboratory have said is gonna release very soon and be the pinnacle of the franchise.

i like HD Rumble.

TheFrenchiestFry

@Grumblevolcano Don't forget XIV

I'm pretty sure either Yoshi P or Phil Spencer confirmed plans for FFXIV to get an Xbox One version in the future at XO19 as well

and it's also highly probable FFXVI will come to Xbox Series consoles after the 1 year exclusivity period it has with PS5 and the 6 month period on PC

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Giancarlothomaz

@Grumblevolcano the media and Gamers/players have given the Idea if a want my games and consoles to be sucefull in this Market, i need to make the more powerful console we can do, who cares if a companie like Nintendo make something unique as a hybrid console, we true Gamers only care if my PlayStation or Xbox could archive 4K/8K at 60fps/120fps, i personaly think this is ridicolous, gameplay is the core concept every companie should follow, why make a prety game when deep down is very hollow with no substance, you can make the most beautiful game ever, but if your most beautiful game ever don't have a engaging gameplay, what the point in doing this? it ashame me that most Gamers only care about graphics, but forget the most important aspect in a game(gameplay) and they believe Nintendo is far behind because of this.

Edited on by Giancarlothomaz

i like HD Rumble.

JaxonH

Never understood the obsession with themes and folders.

The things that actually matter are being able to scroll faster (preferably using ZR to skip letters alphabetically like Steam) in the data management screen and the redownload software screen. Do you know how many items are in those lists? It takes me like 30 seconds just to scroll to the bottom. And if I’m deleting or archiving multiple games it starts you at the top of the list after each one you archive or delete. That is insanely frustrating and it makes a very simple task turn into a very tedious chore.

Folders and themes? There’s hardly any screen to show a theme on anyways. Unless you only want gold trim around the border or something. Just let me pan through lists by alphabetical letter with the shoulder buttons. That is my number one requested feature. Heck, even my game list takes forever to scroll through, especially on my physical-only Switch where I have 3x as many game icons due to cartridge games I don’t have on my digital-only Switch and Switch Lite. I suppose folders could help solve that one, but it wouldn’t address the other menus. Fast scrolling would solve all of them.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

Giancarlothomaz

@JaxonH Folders to better organize your huge Libraby of games(some people have up to 100 or more games in they Switch) and Themes to better customize your Switch Home Screen(it would be amazing if you could customize your Switch Home Screen with Themes like a Metroid/Mario or other franchises, put a Metroid theme in my Switch and it would be amazing), at least Nintendo add a Folder option for us to better customize your games, here a Folder for all my plataform games, here a Folder for my most played game in my Switch, something like that and themes and Folders would be shown on the Switch Home Screen like a Wallpaper you put in your phone(for Themes) and Folder would be show in the space(Switch have for games, you click in the Folder icon on Switch Home Screen and voilá, here all the games you put in this Folder).

Edited on by Giancarlothomaz

i like HD Rumble.

Grumblevolcano

@TheFrenchiestFry Oh yeah, that too. Remembered the FF Game Pass and KH Xbox news but not the FFXIV news.

Grumblevolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic