Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 48,641 to 48,660 of 69,981

rallydefault

@link3710
The comments on the articles are a whooooole different world lol Some of those people legit scare me. I feel like I'm on Twitter reading some of that stuff.

rallydefault

Wargoose

@link3710 I think the music is really good in Kingdom Hearts so it could be fun. My problem with Kingdom Hearts as a whole, is the 2nd game is just awful. The first one is cheesy, but at the end of the day, it's a game aimed at kids. You can forgive a game a bit of cringe. However Kingdom Hearts 2 has possibly, the worst storytelling of any AAA game. By the end of it, you want Sora to die in a fire.

Wargoose

JaxonH

KH has always been a B-rate RPG with an A-rate cast and C-rate story. Most people begging for it don't even know what they're asking for, they just want to check another high profile name off a list. If they actually played the games theyd realize they're nothing to get in a tizzy over. Not to say they're bad games or anything, just not great to the extent they're worth freaking out over.

Then again my ex-coworker was a diehard KH fan. Some people just really dig the games I guess. But I dont think he played many other games to compare to.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Magician

Honestly, the KH spinoff looks more entertaining than a port of the All-In-One collection would be.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

NintendoByNature

I've never played a KH game, but I'd be lying to you if I said I wouldn't be excited if a reveal of the 3 main games were coming to switch. I've heard nothing but good things about the series, and I wouldn't mind seeing what the fuss is about.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Fowlersrs

OorWullie wrote:

@BruceCM I didn't know that, cheers. I've picked a perfect time to start playing it then.

This thread is only 50 comments away from reaching 50,000. It's gone from an NX speculation thread to one of the most popular forum threads in video game history.

Were trying to get hold of you on discord my man!! Weve have a little something for you. Appreciate your busy but reach out.

Fowlersrs

TuVictus

Switch is getting its first Kingdom Hearts game! And it's a rhythm one. I can't wait, the music is the one thing I've consistently loved since the beginning

TuVictus

NEStalgia

@Wargoose Bite your tongue. It's as though you've never played DDD.

@JaxonH You'd really go so high as C for the story? You're more generous than I. Next to KH, Bayo is Dickens and Kojima is Hemingway. Of all the trite nonsense, each character being 4 characters in different timelines in no sensible way has got to be the worst, most poorly used plot device I've ever seen.

And yet I can't help but like the series. I do love a lot about it. It's kind of gaming "comfort food", but the story is horrendous, and a lot of mechanics are woefully dated. And the DS games are just plain ODD.

@NintendoByNature I do love the series, but don't fool yourself. What makes it great is the worlds themselves and the character mashup. Where else can you find Donald Duck having a conversation with Cloud Strife in the middle of Maleficent's castle on the way to go see Micky while Minnie and Aerith are bonding? It's cool. The Disney worlds are cool. Being a time traveling dimension hopping character in a Disney world with a Square vibe is cool. The gameplay is mediocre at best (with unfair, insane, brutal boss fights to punctuate it) and the story is far over the edge of unfollowable nonsense. I won't give you "spoilers", but to summarize precisely what's wrong with the story of KH, here's a snippet of a character bio from a fan site. This would be a spoilery snippet (although it still wouldn't make any sense even if I gave the spoilers), but I just replaced the character names:

"CharacterX was a powerful and elderly Keyblade Master, serving as the first master of Ventus, and the creator and master of Vanitas. He is also the primary original incarnation of CharacterY and CharacterZ, and the future self of Young CharacterA. "

This character is not the only character with a bio that reads like that. There's about a half dozen or more characters that have descriptions that read like that one where they're all one big inbred mess of various iterations of the same other characters. Nobody's not related in KH. Goofy's the least inbred of anyone.

Add to that that the story telling is non-lenear, not just throughout each single game but between games of the series and their spinoffs. And no character ever dies, they just resurrect as 4 other characters in 5 different timelines.

It's silly fun, even with mashy gameplay. I still love the world just because it's nuts with lots of fun cameos and neat places....but yea....mix 90's level design and tropes with Saturday Morning Cartoon cringe, and a terrible dose of Anime at it's very, very worst......and you end up with KH. It's special....but it's technically not very good. But it's special still.

NEStalgia

NintendoByNature

@NEStalgia and it actually does sound appealing, even with the (somewhat) flaws you mention. It probabaly wouldve made more sense to port the original games over first so Nintendo owners would understand the world and story a little more, but whatevs.. ill probabaly hold out for ports instead of getting this new title.

NintendoByNature

NEStalgia

@NintendoByNature As long as you can enjoy just the adventure of going through the locales without needing memorable gameplay or a story that even makes a modicum of sense even after reading entire synopses of all the games and having played them, it's definitely appealing. It's one of those things that's better to enjoy for what it is rather than what it clearly should have been. Nothing else will ever feel like it, and that makes it worthwhile. But the story still makes f-all sense when you're done.

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@NintendoByNature
I’d be surprised... no. I’d be amazed, if Square Enix didn’t bring the collections over. They’d have to have lost all business sense, promoting the local zoo’s chimpanzee as CEO.

There’s such massive demand on Switch for certain franchises and titles (not all, but there are specific ones where it’s like, ya, you’d have to be blind AND dumb to not see the massive potential- Kingdom Hearts is one of them, Persona is one of them, Mass Effect is one of them).

The problem is, between Sony making bribes to keep games off other platforms, developer loyalists drinking kool aid to the point they volunteer their games to be exclusive and bend over backwards to ensure it stays that way- only expanding out when their corporate overlords mandate it, and publishers on power platform “minimal effort for maximal gain” cruise control, nothing is a given anymore. Even for games that chimp in a suit knows should be on Switch.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

BabyYoda71

Wow, congratulations! 50,000 replies! Good Job! You’re the second most replied to NL forum, behind only Pokémon X & Y Friend Code Exchange!

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

Wargoose

@NEStalgia you summed it up better than I could. I made the mistake of playing them through again, in order to refresh myself before KH3. I got to the end of KH2, 6 months ago and haven't been able to bring myself to play KH3. It's just sat on a shelf.

Wargoose

JaxonH

Wow. This is a big thread lol. 2,500 pages to get to 50,000 replies. That’s like... 20 replies per page. For like, lots and lots of pages.

I bet some of us have comments from thousands of pages ago. Remember when Rocket League was announced and everyone was hyped actually seeing a popular 3rd party game for the system? After the Great Wii U depression, it felt like a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. With Lucky the Leprechaun 🍀 there to usher in a new expansionary era of growth and prosperity.

We’ve come a long ways. LA Noire was exciting. Doom was a big announcement. Fortnite made a splash. As did Diablo 3. And the relief when we finally learned Assassins Creed was coming to the system. And Okami HD. Everyone was so bewildered it was skipping Switch. Oh, and Dark Souls was a big one. Cuphead and Hellblade and Ori and the Blind Forest. All the Resident Evil games. Remember Mortal Kombat XI at the Game Awards, seeing the Switch logo? And Crash trilogy, Spyro trilogy and Crash racing? Civilization VI was pretty epic. Oh, and The Witcher 3, how could I forget. And there was YS VIII, which everyone was so happy about, but wasnt sure if the Trails series would also come over. Then Trails of Cold Steel III and IV were announced. And then there was the 2k blowout. Bioshock, Borderlands and XCOM 2. That was hype. Seeing Catherine Full Body which was PS4 exclusive get announced, a game they tried putting on the Vita- they were so desperate to find a way to sell it without leaving the PS ecosystem.

It’s been a pretty decent run, actually. It was probably always unrealistic to expect everything to come to a 7th gen powered handheld, a Nintendo one at that. After years of failure providing a viable market to 3rd parties. Progress is progress, right? It’s only going to continue to get better, as long as Nintendo goes with Switch 2.

Ralizah

I love Disney. Love JRPGs. Love Final Fantasy.

You'd think I'd love Kingdom Hearts.

But... I dunno. The mix of those elements wasn't done well, based on my experience with the first game. The battle system isn't great, the story is obnoxiously adolescent nonsense, and the game never really felt like it realized its full potential.

I'll give the series another go if it comes to Switch, but I'm not crawling up the walls for it.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH I'm with you. But then again, Nintendo kind of does the same thing with regards to not doing the obvious. So I dk...im certainly optimistic with today's news, but im not holding my breath.

NintendoByNature

NEStalgia

@Wargoose lol, that's exactly what I did a year and a half ago!

@JaxonH i thought they fired the chimpanzee a few years back and that's when they started making games again?

Nintendo is Nintendo. If logic says switch 2, nintendo says "new concept based around a jump rope like controller" . Maybe that was just Iwata though...

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Of you thought the story in 1 was nonsense, run, don't walk, from the rest. 1 was the only game in the series that actually made sense and had an actual arc.

The next will be KH3.6333341: The Last Retcon: Until We Retcon That

NEStalgia

link3710

@JaxonH If they don't bring them over, it's almost certain that it's because they have a deal with Sony. Rumor has it KH1/2 have exclusive contracts with them to this day.

Though if FF could be freed, KH seems possible.

link3710

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic