Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 38,641 to 38,660 of 70,025

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I think that's the issue with Pixar in that era. Up in particular. The heart of Pixar and their origins was always their animated shorts. That was their best stuff, through and through and it's who they really were. I feel like Up started as a short, and for whatever reason they decided to stretch it into a feature....but it didn't really have enough to stretch. If I think of it purely as one of their 15 minute shorts, it would be a masterpiece. But as a full length feature it was kind of boring, always feeling like it was about to go somewhere, and instead it just became more and more depressing.

Similar with Wall-E...a great (if really really depressing) short...but not a feature film by any stretch. But what was it with them and the whole "too French for the French" depressing film thing. I feel like one of the producers was going through a bitter divorce and that's what we got those years.

It's weird how they shifted so dramatically. Bug's Life, and Rattaouille are amazing classics, besting most live action films I can think of. Cars 1, Toy Story series, are all excellent in their own right. Incredibles was a fun pastiche. And then they did that.

And then they became little more of an extension of helpers for Disney Animation Studios cranking out lunchbox-able merchandisable brands on a conveyor belt. And of course, the social message du-jour must be included in all Disney films. Need to reach that young, professional, politically left leaning, female-tilting demographic. That's where all the money comes from. It's little more than targeting the purse. It just looks "socially conscious" so they pat themselves on the back for it.

I'll agree with you both on the Marvel films being terrible and Incredibles (have yet to see 2 , though) besting it.

Haha, I didn't skip all those other films by accident, you know Shrek just comes to mind as a poster child of the whole movement. Granted, I actually quite liked Shrek 1. 2 seemed great the first time I saw it but wore off it's charm by the second. By 3 it was utter garbage. If it stayed at 1 it would have been a classic. Ice age...ugh. The first was, again, decent. I don't want to know about the sequels. And as for Angry Birds the Movie....I saw Super Mario Bros. In theteres. Twice. I know why not to go to a video game move no matter the franchise

NEStalgia

WebHead

Safe to say current Switch and New 2DS XL are likely going to be discontinued this fall when the portable and more powerful switch models launch.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

EvilLucario

@Ralizah Nooo I don't have Sekiro yet because I don't have the funds. I spent a lot of my budget on Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far because it was on sale for $30. So yeah... that took a big chunk out of my wallet. I WILL get it though, because friends say it kicks so much ass!

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I can agree with that. Pixar's best work is their short form stuff. It allows their creativity to explode brilliantly for a brief instant rather than dragging it out over the course of an entire film. If you want to talk about crippling depression, though, I'd point to the hilariously bleak 1987 short "Red's Dream." You really feel for the depressing, unfulfilled life of that poor unicycle, man. They captured an incredibly universal experience there: the realization that you could have been so much more than you currently are, that you're often trapped by your social circumstances, and, even if you weren't, it's probably too late to change things now.

I never found Wall-E to be particularly depressing, though. It was more of a 'silver lining' sort of movie. Sure, humanity seems to be completely dead and the world is a wasteland, but this little robot can still experience something akin to love in his queer, meaningless little post-human life. It should have stuck with that instead of going the social commentary route with the morbidly obese people in space. It's hard to do social commentary without compromising your film. Ghibli can do it, but, afraid to say, Lasseter ain't no Miyazaki. That's because, for Miyazaki's films, the progressive themes are embedded in the fabric and structure of the narrative itself. He's actually interested in exploring ideas, as opposed to lecturing people.

Who knew that a media giant purchasing a promising smaller studio would spell disaster in the long run? Never heard of that happening before!

It is pretty depressing how much Disney owns now. They completely rule the box office. While I stand by my statement that good films release every year, this Disney monopoly of the cinemas is the exact opposite of healthy or ideal.

I did see the live-action Dumbo recently (still, WTF were they thinking?), and, in an interesting twist, the primary antagonist of the film is basically Walt Disney. He buys up, exploits, and inevitably destroys smaller and more authentic circus acts in the process of accruing more cultural and financial power for himself. Quite... self-conscious for a Disney produced film, right?

Not ALL video game movies are bad. The recent Tomb Raider was decent popcorn entertainment. A perfectly acceptable action movie. And I'm looking forward to the Detective Pikachu movie.

Still, you saw Super Mario Bros. TWICE in theaters?! Are you that much of a masochist?

@link3710 Yeah, that's a good summation of how I feel about the whole Souls thing. The Last of Us, too. And Journey. And every other "modern classic" I inevitably hate. I don't get it, but, y'know, that's OK. Not everything can be for everyone.

Kubo was criminally ignored, although I guess that's the fate of an animated film about dealing with loss that's grounded in Japanese mythology. Not exactly "The Secret Life of Pets," that one.

WebHead wrote:

Safe to say current Switch and New 2DS XL are likely going to be discontinued this fall when the portable and more powerful switch models launch.

A portable Switch? What will they think of next!

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

Ralizah wrote:

WebHead wrote:

A handheld Switch!

Octane

HobbitGamer

Octane wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

WebHead wrote:

A handheld Switch!

The Nitneod Swatch!!

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Disney has always been an Evil Empire (R) (TM) (Copyright 2017 The Walt Disney Company), but this new empire of theirs is very distressing. Between TV, film, and other brands they have obscene amounts of power unprecidented. Granted, even Walt himself was an obsessive authoritarian.....he may not even wholly disprove the current state of things, though I think even he had standards.... The fact that every brand under the sun now exists as a merchandising platform for Disney, and they control what film is distributed where is worrysome. This isn't 1990s' Disney, and even that was bad enough.

Live action Dumbo is both interesting as an idea and urinates all over the classic animation all at the same time. The sad thing is I'm not sure they even realize their villain is themselves. Ithink they're blissfully unaware...that's "them" not "us"!

Yeah, I'm interested in Detective Pikachu. And as for SMB...twice.....yeah...pretty much. Creepy Yoshi was an addiction I suppose. Somehow at the time it didn't even seem as bad as it does now... Of course I ate, slept and breathed Nintendo at the time....wait...that hasn't changed still... I still bleed red! (Which is much less distressing than having to bleed gray and then weird teal for a period of time... )

NEStalgia

link3710

@NEStalgia Ah, too bad about Dumbo. It was only the second live action remake that's interested me, after The Jungle Book. I've seen a couple others at friend's places and they're all... pointless. I like The Jungle Book, but Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella didn't seem to offer any reason to exist to me. And the rest of the upcoming ones don't look any better.

link3710

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I can't say much. My nephew and I regularly watch the Super Mario Bros. Super Show together. And, y'know... it is what it is. It's only possible to enjoy that show ironically.

@link3710 I liked Cinderella. It felt like an improvement on the original cartoon all the way around, and the actress who plays the titular character is truly lovely.

The Jungle Book also worked surprisingly well, although the vibe it gives off is VERY different from the original cartoon. It was cool, though, and an awesome tech showcase. Those CG animals look very real.

Beauty and the Beast (live action) is an abomination, though. Almost plays out like a parody of the original cartoon film. Emma Watson was one of the worst possible choices to play Belle, although that's only the tip of the iceberg of that film's issues.

I'm... optimistic... about The Lion King. I think this trend of remaking animated classics works best with films that have almost all-animal casts.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

link3710

@Ralizah Honestly, I think my biggest problem with Cinderella is that I watched it right after seeing Into the Woods and well... I much prefer that version to the Disney version. But that's a lot of bias on my part, I'll admit as much.

link3710

NEStalgia

@Ralizah " . I think this trend of remaking animated classics works best with films that have almost all-animal casts."

That sentence really says it all, doesn't it?

@link3710 oh, i haven't seen Dumbo yet, so don't discount it from my statement, i meant the entire feel and presentation of the idea. It's probably decent... But I'm not comfortable with rewriting genuine classics. What's next, modernizing Romeo and Juliet? Oh, wait...

Untitled

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

Movies as a whole suck, change my mind :^^^^^]

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Haruki_NLI

Didnt know the Switch got that new Disney streaming service.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

kkslider5552000

movies are my favorite thing about the Nintendo Switch, the thing that is apparently the topic of this thread

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

JaxonH

Has anyone here not played these classics dropping in April?

Darksiders, I’d put this game on par with Zelda. Not BotW, but previous entries like Twilight Princess? Ya, I think I would. It’s really, really freaking good. If anyone hasn’t played this game, I highly recommend it.

Final Fantasy X, this one I’d rank as one of my favorite video games of all time, fave JRPG of all time (up there with Lost Odyssey, The Last Story) and a generational masterpiece. If you have not yet played this game, make it your absolute top priority. This is the last Final Fantasy directed by Sakaguchi before he left Square Enix (and subsequently created Lost Odyssey for MS and The Last Story for Nintendo).

Cuphead. I’ve only played the beginning part but I’m sure you could ask anyone here who’s played it through, and they’d tell you it’s a game you should absolutely not miss. Just know what you’re going into. The game is hard.

Final Fantasy XII. I’ve only played the beginning, which is why this is one of my top priorities this month as I want to play this game through to completion. But this game is highly regarded and often put on par with FFX, depending who you ask. And given FFX is one of the best video games of all time, that bodes well for FFXII.

Dragon’s Dogma. It’s basically a Skyrim/Souls crossover but with awesome, amazing Monster Hunter combat and without all the Bethesda bugs. I hold this game in the same regard most others hold Skyrim. I won’t recommend it to everyone, but I definitely recommend it to anyone who likes or is interested in Skyrim, Dark Souls or Monster Hunter. If you haven’t played this game, for $30 I’d say it’s one not to be missed.

There’s other stuff like SteamWorld Quest, Mortal Kombat XI and Hellblade. But I haven’t played those yet.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH playing through darksiders myself and absolutely loving it. But honestly I don't see the comparison people make to zelda. I'm only 3.5 hours in though. Does it get more zelda-like later on? It really reminds me of God of war though. Either way I do love it

NintendoByNature

link3710

@JaxonH Cuphead I haven't (and I will), FFXII I will... someday... so many JRPGs I want to play. And Dragon's Dogma is definitely on my list. FFX I've played a ton of, though never got to beat it. Might try again now that it's on a portable. Darksiders I need to finally play now, I've only done the second.

...Of course, before I can even buy any of those games I need to finish Octopath, Doom, Trials Rising, Hyper Light Drifter or Yoshi since they're my current 5 I'm rotating between. So many games, not enough time.

link3710

HobbitGamer

@NintendoByNature It’s much more like God of War than Zelda. Sure, it has secret things unlocking based on new skills, but what action/adventure game doesn’t have that mechanism? It was a fun game when it came out, but it holds nothing for me to jump back in.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NintendoByNature

@AlohaPizzaJack yea I'm finding that too ( just finding hidden things and so forth. It screams God of war to me. But I'm enjoying it. We'll see how much replay value it has for me

NintendoByNature

Aozz101x

YES YES thank you Nintendo! SMO and BOTW ARE GETTING LABO VR SUPPORT!
Now: Animal Crossing, and Mario Kart 8 DX please! i'm asking to much though
https://nintendoeverything.com/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-super...
Edit: here's the trailers from GameXplain

Edited on by Aozz101x

My Top 9 Favorite Games of All time.
1. Judgement
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Bully (Rockstar)
4. Person 4 / Golden
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. Xenoblade X
7. Ape Escape 2
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
9. James Bond 007 Nightfire

Switch Friend Code: SW-5070-3616-4044 | 3DS Friend Code: 4828-8466-0472 | My Nintendo: Aozz101x | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic