Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 37,141 to 37,160 of 70,086

NEStalgia

@Therad I'm not sure Ninty would want to move to a subscription model like access for their retail games. They're too conservative for a shakeup of the core business model than that. They won't interfere with their retail numbers. Rebates maybe... But I can't imagine them doing anything that tampers with the currently working retail model for current gen games.

@Knuckles-Fajita I suppose it could be a streaming service - in Japan only. Since they've messed with that with both Capcom and Ubi.

@JackEatsSparrows 2DS was made for one reason only: Pokemon. 3DS was too expensive and "fragile" for the traditional Pokemon market used to cheap consoles per kid. There's a new Pokemon this year............

I can't really get behind a smaller screen though. For 1080p designed UI's switch screen is already too small for text, or barely too small. Any smaller and text will be unreadable in a number of games. It would work with a high DPI display, but...that means much more powerful GPU. And flexible displays aren't where I thought they'd be by now.

NEStalgia

Therad

@NEStalgia yeah it doesn't sound like Nintendo. But I don't have a better guess at the moment.

I stick with my prediction that they will release a non-switch handheld. This is the easiest way to lower price.

Therad

HobbitGamer

@NEStalgia Whatever, old man! Your bifocals are too fragile for Pokeymans!

I dunno, I guess I just really don't see a reason this year for Ninty to add another SKU. the only hardware this to revise over the current without an increase in cost would be bluetooth audio channels. But, the thing is still selling. like illicit cakes.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

WebHead

I dont see what the big deal is if theres a handheld variant. Nintendo wouldnt do it if they didnt think it was viable. It will have its own market. We can think what we want but they are the multibillion dollar company, not us.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

NEStalgia

@JackEatsSparrows LOL. Someone's never played Titan Quest, Skyrim, or L.A. Noire on Switch handheld?

Ohhh...I like illicit cakes....wait what?

It sells well, but GameFreak needs their market base for each sibling getting their own copy, etc. A $300 console won't do that. Plus the Switch, while robust (it survived me!!) isn't quite child-proff as much as a stock 3DS which was apparently not child-proof enough as it was, warranting 2DS. I don't think mini-switch will be a fragile iphone consumer electrical goody. I think it's a ruggedized child proof, smaller unit that will also appeal to 3DS lovers.

NEStalgia

redd214

We currently have 2 switches and I've said it many times before, if they came out with a handheld only version with no dock fixed joycons at around $200 I'd probably sell one of ours and buy 2 for my kids in a heartbeat. Unless we are playing smash or Mario Kart or something multiplayer like that I'd say 90% of the time they are played in handheld mode. Makes plenty of sense to me, we shall see though.

redd214

HobbitGamer

@NEStalgia I've got LA Noire (for the second system, tee hee).

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

WebHead

@redd214 thank you. Finally someone gets it.

WebHead

JaxonH

I'm kinda surprised. I figured they'd stick with a pro version only and discount the original.

But at the same time, a smaller, more durable, cheaper Switch makes sense for selling multiple units per household for kids. Curious to see if they sacrifice the ability to switch, or detachable joycons, or if they just make the base unit smaller

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

If it's true then I think Persona Q2 will be the last 3DS game outside of indies.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@JaxonH I imagine both dockability and joycons could go. If they're going for lower price point, joycons are pretty expensive, and that's the first thing to go out the window by integrating them to a single battery with no transmitters molded in. No rails either. that cut's their cost significantly. And without joycons, cutting the dock is an easy choice since it segments who buys which console (the little one can't sub for the full Switch), and eliminates the customer confusion issue that you have to buy another controller to play while docked since the joycons aren't detachable. Not to mention the size would be wrong for a smaller box. I see it as a true 2DS type product. An awkward-ish less desirable version of the product that some people might find more suitable for them for one reason or another.

NEStalgia

WebHead

Nintendo could easily cut stuff to get down to $200, maybe ecen $170.

WebHead

redd214

@WebHead yeah my main thing is durability. My kids are 8 and 10 and we take pretty good care of our stuff but we've been through a good amount of joycons. From the sticks not working, to not locking onto the sides properly, etc I've found them to be the most fragile part of the system. If they had a model without them I think I'd be a bit more sturdy. Seeing as we play mostly handheld anyways we'd only need one that connects to the TV so we'd be good. I know my perspective is unique and not representive of everyone but it would be great for us.

Edit: Doubt they'd go that low on the price but they could theoretically, but I think $200 is the max. You figure the charge 90 for a dock alone, another 20 for the grip and if they cut out the hd rumble and all the other tech in the joycons I don't see why they would bring on an "entry level" model.

Edited on by redd214

redd214

JaxonH

Nobody here is playing Sphinx???

Hidden gem from what I hear. Been watching some gameplay from Spawnwave and NintendoEverything, reading reddit posts about how good it is. Basically classic Zelda with some Metroid mixed in.

Apparently it released on Switch but not the other consoles. Which surprises me. I think I’m going to take advantage of that and pick a copy up. BestBuy is sold out online. Amazon for full price it is- I feel too lazy for store pickup at BestBuy even with $6 off via GCU- rather pay the extra money and have delivered.

@NEStalgia
Sounds about right

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

HobbitGamer

Good. I love me some Dr Mario

#MudStrongs

WebHead

That is great and all but idk ehat that has to do with switch

WebHead

IceClimbers

Dr Mario is a good fit for mobile.

Anyways, there's a NIS sale on the US eShop. There's a few good indie titles also on sale: Freedom Planet, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, World of Goo, West of Loathing, Pool Panic.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Haruki_NLI

I found the Nintendoom guy.

Trending ahead of PS4 sales ewuivalent at 22 months, software sales (the main money maker) increased projections and numerous multi million sellers.

But nah. Huge failure.

This guy probably also expects a lot of his wife too.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

WebHead

Could see Switch Mini being released in may or june. Device will likely be aimed at kids so get it out in time for summer vacation. If not august to get it out before school starts again.

WebHead

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic