Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 36,701 to 36,720 of 69,981

GameOtaku

@DarkRula
I thought Legacy Wars was the mobile? Anyway Hasbro now owns the series. Looks good to me. (I'd rather have a collection of the older games though)

GameOtaku

Haruki_NLI

Well we know now that MK11 is pretty gory.

Looks good too, most likely they showed the PC release there.

Also showed the cool Collectors Edition that comes with a steelbook, premium release and Scorpion mask, the pre-order beta goes live on March 28th, Shao Kahn is a pre-order bonus, and the release date is still April 23rd.

The bad news is if you want this on Switch nothing I just said is accurate.

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Therad

@electrolite77 it is almost like if you constantly screw over your buyers they slowly fade away...

Therad

kobashi100

ReaderRagfihs wrote:

@JaxonH The thing I find interesting is that the Switch version hasn't even been released in Japan yet, where DQXI has already been on a Nintendo platform (3DS) for more than a year. Especially considering there are several other Dragon Quest games available on Switch over there, it makes the omission possibly seem like more than just Sony being annoying to Nintendo fans.

I don't think it has anything to do with Sony. The switch version was never even in development when it was announced. S-E simply got the PS4 version done and then started development on the switch port. It's just taking time to get the game @ the required level. The whole Sony conspiracy stuff needs to stop.

kobashi100

DarkRula

@GameOtaku Yes, Legacy Wars is the mobile game. This simply looks to be an expanded version of that, especially seeing as the logo for the game is using the movie logo.

And I can't blame Hasbro for doing this. They've got to test the waters for the console market and this is the best way of doing so. I'm interested, as I was with Legacy Wars. Perhaps even more so as I won't be bound by touch controls. I want to see more of it, definitely.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

kobashi100

@ReaderRagfihs when did S-E ever mention release date. Nobody even knew which version the switch port would be from. They should have never announced it as they were miles away from starting development. The developers are not machines. They had a deserved break after finishing the other versions and then got working on the switch port. The idea that sony have been keeping it held back has no basis behind it at all.

kobashi100

Haruki_NLI

So the way the press release for MK11 is worded, namely "Will release beginning April 23rd" seems to not rule out a delay for Switch or PC.

Haruki_NLI

People do need to remember they did say it was coming to Switch in 2015 and we didnt see the damn thing due to "development troubles with Unreal Engine" and the such until late 2018, almost 2019.

EvilLucario

Just marathoned the rest of Valkyria Chronicles 1 over the course of two days! Damn, that was a great game. Starting off 2019 very strong, I can easily see this game still making my top 10 favorite games I've played in 2019. Time will tell though!

The good:

• The gameplay is really good. There are a lot of balancing issues like Scouts (and to an extent Engineers) being massively OP and tanks not feeling that special (at least imo), but still the strategy gameplay is fantastic.
  • Story was good. It's not a terribly complex story, but it's a well written story and all the main characters are great.
  • Looks EXTREMELY good in handheld. So freaking sharp, it's amazing.
  • Voice acting is good...

The bad:

• ...But I do not like the Japanese voice acting. You lose out on a lot of the inflections of tone people use, especially the villains.
  • Music isn't exactly that memorable to me. It's not bad, just can't let it naturally stick in my head. I literally only remember the title theme, some map themes, and the Headquarters music. And most of them it's because I've had it drilled in my head a bajillion times.
  • Framerate can chug on Switch. I assume this isn't a problem on PC and to be fair a less than ideal frame rate isn't bad for a strategy game, but still something to be said.
  • Lots of gameplay balancing problems like I mentioned above.

Still though, such a fantastic game. I can't wait to dive into VC4 after I revisit Golden Sun 1 and then play Golden Sun: The Lost Age.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

IceClimbers

Preload is live for both BlazBlue Central Fiction (Feb. 7th) and Steins;Gate Elite (Feb. 19) on the US eShop.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

NEStalgia

@electrolite77 I would love to see this force EA to stop focusing on cash cow milking and return to trying to attract sales with new non-service games. They have a lot of capable development teams there, and they keep them chained at all times. EA used to make some of the best games before they got on the "all FIFA all the time" treadmill.

NEStalgia

link3710

@NEStalgia Uh... They did? Honestly, I can't remember a time they were making good games. Sims was good prior to being acquired by them, Mass Effect/Dragon Age/Bioware was good before acquisition, but outside of Need For Speed, I can't recall the last time I played an EA game that I genuinely enjoyed. Not trying to trash them, I just genuinely don't even remember what games they made that were good anymore.

link3710

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia It won't. They'll try to double down on the stuff they're doing, paying lip-service and some very light changes to attempt to get good will back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Ralizah

@EvilLucario Gameplay on PC/PS4 is locked (or near locked) 60FPS.

There was a tiny bit of stutter in VC4 in handheld mode when things got hectic, but it never impacted the gameplay, and, as you mention with regard to the original, it looks quite good on the tablet.

VC4' scouts are still OP, and you can still scout rush a bunch of missions. There are several subtle but noticeable improvements to the gameplay, though.

The biggest change addressed my biggest criticism of the original, which was that I had no incentive to switch people in and out of my active roster of soldiers. This game gives you a large amount of incentive to get to know pretty much every single character in your unit, and it does a way better job of fleshing out the personalities and lives of those non-story-important soldiers.

Glad you're enjoying this lovely little series. <3

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

EvilLucario

@Ralizah It doesn't support arbitrary framerates like 144fps? Ah well. Fortunately Nvidia just released G-Sync support three days ago for like... twelve monitors, but lo and behold I somehow managed to get uber lucky and have my monitor supported within that small section (VG278Q). So games with a 60fps cap will probably look more smooth on my monitor. Idk though, I haven't played much on my PC lately because I was busy playing VC1.

Oh actually I honestly forgot about my biggest complaint about VC1: the enemy phase feels like it takes FOREVER. You can't skip them, and you can't fast-forward them either. Kinda sucks lol. So when I accidentally deleted my save file and knew what I was doing, having to wait out the enemy phase was literal hot garbo. It's not quite as "big" as gameplay balancing, but it was the one thing that made me go "ehhhh... I don't like this".

But yeah the game is fantastic. I might emulate VCII and VCIII later once I clear a big section of my backlog and VC4. If they're even 75% as good I'd still play them.

Edited on by EvilLucario

electrolite77

@NEStalgia

If only. I can’t see it though somehow. Like Activision and (to a lesser extent) UbiSoft they’ve been very quick to decide that the market is AAA GAAS at one end and Mobile games at the other. All their mid-tier retail games have been pretty much ditched.

They’re sitting on Dead Space, Command and Conquer, SSX, Burnout (I think), Need for Speed, Skate, The Sims, Sim City etc.etc. in favour of a yearly FPS, sports games and ruining Star Wars games.

I agree with @EvilLucario though, they won’t. Which will serve them right.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

Ralizah

@EvilLucario I keep forgetting I capped the framerate at 60fps globally on my PC games. You can apparently get higher numbers on the PC port. Up to 120fps.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

EvilLucario

@Ralizah Would be nice if all games from now on were built with arbitrary framerates in mind. With dynamic resolution now a major mainstay of performance saving measures that can be really taken advantage of by better hardware (see: Xbox One X and its backwards compatibility), if consoles adopted the same standards as PC so later generations can run the exact same game but better resolution/framerate... that would be a net gain for everyone.

Well, except for some companies who wouldn't make as much money porting over their old games to a new market. Though let's not pretend Nintendo is the only one who does that, if you do really think that you have not paid attention to the early days of the PS4/Xbox One.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic