Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 28,741 to 28,760 of 70,035

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
You can't see it? Do you have your eyes closed or...?

What on earth makes you think it'll be any different from every other new Smash game ever released?

I suggest you open your eyes, cause its a new game. This whole "It's new but not really new" is modern day hocus pocus nonsense. Either it's new or it ain't.

And Smash is a new game. How different a fighter is each release is irrelevant. It's new as much as it can be, no more and no less

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

link3710

@NEStalgia Well keep in mind, Smash Bros Brawl and Smash 4 are the same engine, and Smash 4 started off life as a Brawl port. Are you really going to tell me that casual players can't see the difference between those two?

link3710

Grumblevolcano

@Alber-san I disagree, there's still ways in which a port could be considering going in blind. For example, limit the playable fighters to the extras and have them play on new stages.

It's best to assume it could be either and just find out the reality in the video presentation.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Anti-Matter

IceClimbers wrote:

Sushi Striker demo is available now in the US eShop. Preloading for the game is also live.

The Steamworld series is 25% off. Oh, and Sine Mora EX is 50% off.

Yay, Sushi Striker Demo.
I wanna try out.

Anti-Matter

Alber-san

@Grumblevolcano
Ok but why would they emphasize then that people won't have played it. That suggests the game mechanics are new to everyone. If it was a port it wouldn't matter if players hadn't played it before.

Switch FC: SW-4227-6363-7321
Online games:
Rocket League, Splatoon 2, NBA Playgrounds, Fortnite

Favourite single player games:XC2, Skyrim, TLoZ: BotW

Kimyonaakuma

@Alber-san Maybe they just don't want any competitors to play it to prevent any possible leaks. This could just be disclaimer incase they're terrible

Kimyonaakuma

NEStalgia

@link3710 The rendering engine was based on it but it was an updated version with an HD rendering target, and significantly more sophisticated level design (presumably new LD tools as well) commensurate with the new system's hardware. But a Switch target is inherently similar to WiiU. They can't change up what they can do with it so it's basicaly the same fighters in either the same or basically the same arenas. Remember "Splatoon 2" was a "new game not a port." But it's an enhanced port. SSFII Hyper Fighting was in fact a new game. But to non core competitive fans, it's the same as SSFII.

@Alber-san there could be (presumably are) new maps. Maybe some new fighters (deluxe DLC edition!), but it doesn't mean the game doesn't look, feel, and play, like a new DLC pack for the old game. We'll see what we see.

Personally I'm still expecting a port. And unless something is visually radically different in the game, banking E3 on a DLC enhanced refresh of the same fighting game seems a little blah....especially when they have other big all new games in the pipeline.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@JaxonH Well, if smash is just a fighter than it's a small niche game to begin with. Not even Capcom banks their E3 on a fighting game. Smash is supposed to be more than that as a party brawler. SSB to Melee sas a small niche game (on a fairly niche console.) Melee to brawl was huge with the big single player campaign and the addition of online play. Brawl to U was huge from SD to HD, significantly larger stages with more environmental assets to use in battle, and of course a fleshed out online system. Those were big changes. U to Switch? There's not much that can be changed in the game. They either rethink the design/single player or they don't. If they reuse maps and characters, it's a port. I'm not saying they shouldn't port it. MK8, DKCTF, Splatoon etc all benefit from being on Switch. I'm just saying that woudln't be a good E3 centerpiece and should be called what it is. There's not a new leap that can be made here in terms of the gameplay as there was on other iterations.

There's a chance there's a new game, but what I'm expecting is a port that's not called a port. 2018 is the year of WiiU parity and erasing it's existence. I miss the year of Luigi.

NEStalgia

Haruki_NLI

Heres the thing with games like Smash that live or die by their community.

How do you make a sequel radically different without pushing that community away? How would Overwatch 2 work without effectively being an ehanced port? League of Legends 2? Hey look at Destiny 2. Same problem.

Outside of PC gaming you end up needing to make a sequel for these games due to the hard stops and starts of system lives. But it cant be too new otherwise the community the game needs to thrive vanishes.

And in this modern day and age in the race to the graphical ceiling how different could it even look? Its not like the jump from 64 to Melee

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Slasher

@NEStalgia What makes you so sure this is a port? Nintendo will NOT be marketing this game up like a new game if this was a port with just DLC content. They would have just told us from the get-go. Also, just because Splatoon 2 plays familiarly to Splatoon, doesn't make it a port. You might as well say that Destiny 2 is a port of Destiny or Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 is just DLC of Call of Duty: WW2 with multiplayer-packed content. Ask yourself: Why would they show this at E3 when they could just give us a direct of different characters and stages?

Slasher

link3710

@NEStalgia I think you're missing my point. What I meant was that all the characters played completely differently between Brawl and 4. Revised movesets, changes to edgeguarding, speeded up gameplay, harsher gravity, adjustments to damage and much more made it so that 4 and Brawl play completely differently, even for nominally unchanged characters like Donkey Kong. I wasn't referring to the graphics, which yes, will probably be fairly insignificantly changed, as there's no need to push them much further considering how beautiful the Wii U version was.

link3710

Kimyonaakuma

I think they'll include a lot of the content from the Wii U version and the DLC. We might also see some of the 3DS stages remade too.
Add in some new characters and stages from games that have released since the last game and call it a "Sequel". Easy!

@YummyHappyPills There's a lot that they could do to the graphics, there's room for improvement and they should have the power to at least make some decent changes. Smash Bros Wii U was 1080p 60fps so we should see some improvement without any major drawbacks

Edited on by Kimyonaakuma

Kimyonaakuma

Ryu_Niiyama

Grumblevolcano wrote:

On another note, a Sushi Striker demo is now available.

Noice! will be getting tonight. Liked the pixel junk monsters demo too. funds are strapped so i wont get it when it launches but its on the wish list.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Alber-san

@Slasher
I've come to the conclusion that people who insist on this game being a port either:
1- Hate Nintendo and want it to always fail (not the case here)
2- Don't want to be disappointed and convince themselves that it is a port (and therefore try to convince others). Which is most lokely the case here.

Switch FC: SW-4227-6363-7321
Online games:
Rocket League, Splatoon 2, NBA Playgrounds, Fortnite

Favourite single player games:XC2, Skyrim, TLoZ: BotW

Ryu_Niiyama

^Quick question because I'm not throwing my hat in on this smash discussion (I don't really care that much about Smash, I'll buy it but I'm not invested in it) either way but,

Why would saying something is a port mean that you "hate" a company or "want it to fail"? Ports pad libraries, often sell well (Skyrim and GTAV seriously...seriously) and cost the company less money with a higher ROI that they can invest in other products. So I don't understand this whole new ports are a dirty word mentality that has been going on for the switch.

(also base game for Smash 4 was very good. I wish a lot of the features had been consolidated on the WiiU version but I get why Hal did what they did. However a port of that would not be a bad thing. If they do a new game that is fine as well...)

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

IceClimbers

@Alber-san Some just love complaining about ports, so they want it to be a port so that they can complain about more ports.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Kimyonaakuma

@Ryu_Niiyama Yeah I don't get it either. I think a lot of people are convinced that a port prevents us from getting a new game, when really we would just be getting nothing. Besides a lot of these games will be new to a lot of people anyway.

Kimyonaakuma

Aozz101x

whelp time for me to get a Micro SD Card. (Wolfenstein 2 is about 21.8GB + 2 GB more for an update. )
https://nintendoeverything.com/updated-wolfenstein-ii-switch-...

My Top 9 Favorite Games of All time.
1. Judgement
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Bully (Rockstar)
4. Person 4 / Golden
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. Xenoblade X
7. Ape Escape 2
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
9. James Bond 007 Nightfire

Switch Friend Code: SW-5070-3616-4044 | 3DS Friend Code: 4828-8466-0472 | My Nintendo: Aozz101x | Twitter:

Octane

Nobody is using those 32GB cards, right?

Octane

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
There's zero chance. There was never any chance. People saying it's a port are smoking some unknown substance, there was never a shred of evidence to back it up.

It's beyond speculation. It IS a new game. No question.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic