Forums

Topic: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt − Complete Edition

Posts 201 to 220 of 472

Ralizah

Christ, those witches in Crookback Bog are terrifying.

I'm overcome with all sorts of doubts about choices I made when wrapping up that quest line. Probably a good sign when there's not an Obvious Choice.

Ralizah

BruceCM

Um, you haven't finished with them, yet, @Ralizah .... You can, of course, find out what happens with the other choice? I haven't actually looked any such quests up, since I'm happy enough with the choices I've made but it's an option

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

gcunit

Untitled

Just had my first crash (only the second Switch crash I think I've ever had). Was swimming underwater in a cave, just surfacing.

Edit: Went straight back in and did virtually the same thing, no problem this time.

Edited on by gcunit

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

gcunit

@BruceCM please use spoiler tags if you're going to discuss plot etc. Thanks.

NotTelevision

@Ralizah I’m looking forward to picking this one up next week for Switch, but from what I played of the game on PS4, I’d agree with you. The Witcher 3 situates itself as sort of the epitome of the traditional open world RPG adventure. It conceives the game world as merely the setting in which characters and stories are situated. Sure the environment can be taken advantage of in combat and there are materials found in the wild used for crafting, but most of it functions as non interactive space. Nothing wrong with that, since the game offers a great refinement to this formula and some great questlines from my 40 hours of play.

BOTW lets you interact with almost everything in the game and often items serve multiple purposes. It would be tougher to play the game without uncovering the maps with your Shieka Slate, but it is entire possible to do so since you can see almost everything and mark it on a tall mountain. You’ll get sidetracked and realize one hour later you didn’t stick to your plan, but that’s also by design.

So yeah, very different priorities indeed.

NotTelevision

gcunit

So far TW3 seems like "I've gotta do A, but to do A I got to talk to B, but B wants me to do C, and C wants me to do D, and D wants me to do E, etc. etc..."

Dezzy

@Ralizah

I see your point. And I can definitely see that it's quite different from Breath of the Wild in that regard. But I thought it was quite similar to Skyrim. That might just be because I haven't played Skyrim for 5 years though. But yes, there's definitely a lot of map-reading in Witcher 3. I always appreciated getting a paper map inside the game box for that reason.

Also worth pointing out that Skellige is quite different from Velen (the map you're likely currently exploring), because it's much less inhabited. So you have less reason to go to specific places. I think there are 2 whole islands that are never used in the main story. It's entirely up to you 2 explore them at your leisure.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

@BruceCM Eh, no fun looking up decisions. I'm still really curious what the voice in that tree actually was, but I felt like, despite not trusting the witches, I was loosing Cthulhu on the world or something.

@Dezzy Well, you know, it has been even longer since I played Skyrim, so who knows?

In general, I'm really liking this game a lot. It's beautiful. Combat is actually fun (no idea where the complaints are coming from; Geralt practically becomes a ballerina in combat the way he twirls around). Music is fantastic and complements the sound design well. The presentation is incredibly solid. I'm finding it difficult to pry myself away from it.

I do think this second area, Velen, could stand to be a bit less gargantuan, though.

@NotTelevision Well said.

Ralizah

komodo182

@Ralizah If you want to find out what the other decisions do you will just have to play the game again. I've done three playthroughs on my ps4 and will most likely do another in the future.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6361-0099-3716

BruceCM

Well, I didn't trust the witches but I still thought I should kill the spirit .... @Ralizah

SW-4357-9287-0699

Ralizah

@komodo182 We'll see how much I end up liking it. I almost never replay games.

@BruceCM Yeah, that's... basically where my thought process landed. Especially after it wanted me to perform some bizarre Lovecraftian ritual to revive it. It's like... nah. I'm good.

Ralizah

komodo182

@Ralizah I only repeat a few games. Golden Sun (s), Fable Lost Chapters, FFIX, Earthbound, Skyrim and witcher 3.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6361-0099-3716

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

I do think this second area, Velen, could stand to be a bit less gargantuan, though.

Lol Skellige is about twice the size of Velen in total. I hope you like sailing.

Edited on by Dezzy

BruceCM

Yeah, I feel quite sure that option wouldn't be as good, @Ralizah .... I know what I got isn't exactly ideal but I bet the alternative is rather worse Still, I might just try it out in a NG+, eventually, as there's a few choices I'd like to see

SW-4357-9287-0699

Octane

@Ralizah Hearts of Stone added more places to the map of Velen. It used to be a bit smaller when it originally came out.

@Dezzy It's closer to half the size of Velen really; if you don't count the water. And I don't, because most of it serves as a backdrop.

Octane

Ralizah

Fun fact: the big bad of the Bloody Baron quest line got his own series of horror movies before the game even came out!

@Dezzy I hate sailing. Less so if I don't have to play a stupid instrument every time I want to change directions. It still sucks, though.

@Octane I more mean the physical size of the place, but there definitely are a stupid number of map icons, too. No biggie. I'm in no huge rush to find everything.

So, question: when I want to refill my potions and bombs, I meditate and... alcohol transforms into consumables? I'm very confused by this process. I can't seem to craft stuff that I crafted previously.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Craft once and you’ve got it for life, but with a limited number of uses. When meditating, if you have alcohol, it will expend one and recharge all your potions and bombs. Oils, I believe, are infinite. But you only get 20 hits with it before needing to reapply more oil.

PLAYING
NS: The Witcher 3, Luigis Mansion 3, Super Monkey Ball, DQXIS, Ori and the Blind Forest

MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Prime 4, Zelda BotW 2, Xenoblade, Trials of Mana, Outer Worlds, Bayonetta 3
PS4: FFVII Remake
X1: Cyberpunk 2077

Jesus is Lord.

BlueBlur101

It's nice seeing people in this thread who appear to be new to the Witcher franchise or CDPR games sharing their experiences as first time players on Switch

A part of me hopes this means sales for the books will pick up again
They are really good reads

BlueBlur101

Switch Friend Code: SW-7235-4572-5129 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

@Dezzy It's closer to half the size of Velen really; if you don't count the water. And I don't, because most of it serves as a backdrop.

Yeah this was in the context of travel times though. If you want to explore it fully, which you should because there are so many great sidequests on the various islands, then it'll take a long time.

I do think the massive amounts of water help create that sense of wilderness though. The different mood and feel of Skellige is one of the things I loved about this game. They're incredibly good at creating immersion through their world building, which is benefitted by the fact that there are several distinct environments in the game. Velen feels like a distinct place. Novigrad feels like another one, and then Skellige and Tussaint feel completely different from both. Other open-world games don't manage that in the same way. Nearly all of Skyrim feels like the same place, except for the bigger towns.

I just wish they'd put the whole thing together in a single open-world area. So you had to sail for like 5 or 10 minutes from the western coast of Velen to reach Skellige. I would have loved that.

Edited on by Dezzy

rallydefault

Part of me really wants to get this, but a bigger part of me knows I'll probably never finish it lol

I kind of dislike open-world games, but fantasy games are totally my jive. But realistically, Luigi's Mansion is coming out soon and...bah, I don't know lol

rallydefault

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic