Forums

Topic: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt − Complete Edition

Posts 141 to 160 of 472

linq

Red Dead 2 on Switch would be awesome!

linq

SwitchForce

How many on here are playing W3 on the v2 Switch? And how did the graphics look at Portable and Docked?

Edited on by SwitchForce

SwitchForce

Magician

linq wrote:

Red Dead 2 on Switch would be awesome!

Unfortunately, Take Two Interactive doesn't care a whole lot about the Switch as a platform. L.A. Noire, NBA 2K, and...Carnival Games (WTF!?). No GTA, no Borderlands, no BioShock, etc. Although Civ VI was console exclusive on Switch for brief period, that's...something...I suppose.

Switch Physical Collection - 459 games (as of November 15th, 2019)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest XI (Switch) Tales of Hearts R (PS Vita)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

Mii_duck

@Zuljaras - did you read the legal bumph printed inside the cover? Even that had some friendly, personal touches.

I should be cynical, but I really liked the little "Dear gamers" letter too.

Mii_duck

Zuljaras

@Mii_duck I did not. You mean the text inside the cartridge case?
I like everything about the package but the map is my favourite one.

Zuljaras

Mii_duck

@Zuljaras - I did yes. Don't have it with me to refer to at the moment, but it mentions things like knowing people will do walk-throughs etc on YouTube, and says it's fine to monetise them.

I'm thinking of getting a Skyrim and Breath of the Wild map and framing all three.

Mii_duck

Zuljaras

@Mii_duck I only have the map of TES: Oblivion from the PS3 version

Zuljaras

BruceCM

Done most of Baron's quests & rest of Keira's... Along with various side-quests Finally, got to Novigrad & tracked down Triss. Now doing various other things in between story

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

rallydefault

So... purchase? Are the graphical issues enough to detract? I'm not a big graphics person, really, but some people are making it out to be unplayable.

rallydefault

gcunit

@rallydefault by some people, do you mean... some people on the internet?

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Zeldafan79

I was hearing that unplayable talk about Doom when it came to the switch. A few youtubers were rather negative. They talked like it was a blurry mess with a choppy unstable framerate. They were coming off as graphic nuts who just couldn't accept that the switch could handle such impressive visuals. Okay so doom had a few issues at launch but unplayable was a bit of an exaggeration. I imagine the same is true for the witcher 3.

Obviously it isn't going to look as good on switch but which matters to you more. bleeding edge graphics or portability? I grew up playing gameboy versions of the more impressive home titles and i didn't feel too left out. I was just happy to be playing something that was pretty close to a portable Nes.

Zeldafan79

CTmatic

Hello *Everyone,

If you were to sell this game as a pitch to me to buy it....what would you say in a paragraph or less on why this game is as great as reviews say? I never gave it an honest chance on PS4 when I borrowed it from a friend for a couple days a few years ago.

Please tag me if you’re willing to lend your 2 cents of a pitch for me so I can read all responses and thank you.

Edited on by CTmatic

CTmatic

JaxonH

Witcher 3 is even better than DOOM, hard to believe as it may be.

They’re both 720p docked, but Witcher 3 has less resolution dips that don’t go nearly as low, and the visual detail and textures look better as well. On top of this the lush scenery is just gorgeous, even with stripped back textures.

And, the framerate is more stable in Witcher 3 than DOOM lol. How they managed it is beyond me. But it does suggest Panic Button isn’t as talented as people think. Something I’ve been saying for a long time. They simply had no competition with which to be compared.

PLAYING
NS: Pokemon Sword, The Witcher 3, Luigis Mansion 3, DQXIS
X1X: Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Prime 4, Zelda BotW 2, Xenoblade, Trials of Mana, Bayonetta 3
PS4: FFVII Remake
X1: Cyberpunk 2077

Jesus is Lord.

Zeldafan79

So aside from all the praise the port of the witcher 3 is getting can we safely say this is now the most graphically impressive switch game that pushes the system to it's limits?

Zeldafan79

JaxonH

I’d say it’s the most technically impressive as opposed to graphically. Don’t get me wrong, it can be a beautiful game at times...

Actual Screenshots I Took
Untitled

Untitled

But it’s not always that sexy. It’s, at a bare minimum, always playable. It never gets to Xenoblade 2 res drop levels or Wolfenstein 2 in-game model levels of bad. Even at its worst it’s still palatable. But it’s just a game with such dense and lush scenery that it’s incredibly impressive, all the more so in handheld.

As for the most graphically impressive, I’d argue for Ori and the Blind Forest, Sniper Elite 3 or Resident Evil Revelations 2. Those games are drop dead gorgeous on Switch. And many others. That’s just the 3 that came to mind. Not the most technically impressive (though they are technically impressive), but among the most graphically impressive, especially in handheld mode.

PLAYING
NS: Pokemon Sword, The Witcher 3, Luigis Mansion 3, DQXIS
X1X: Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: Metroid Prime 4, Zelda BotW 2, Xenoblade, Trials of Mana, Bayonetta 3
PS4: FFVII Remake
X1: Cyberpunk 2077

Jesus is Lord.

Dezzy

CTmatic wrote:

If you were to sell this game as a pitch to me to buy it....what would you say in a paragraph or less on why this game is as great as reviews say? I never gave it an honest chance on PS4 when I borrowed it from a friend for a couple days a few years ago.

It's one of the only (if not THE only) massive open-world games in existence that manages to nail the world building and game systems at the same time as having an incredibly deep story and characters.

Almost no games in this genre manage to do both. You typically have either the games that nail the world building side of things (e.g Skyrim, Fallout, Dark Souls) but have fairly average and generic stories with soulless forgettable characters. Or games that have great story and characters but heavily limit the scope of the world (e.g Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 1).

Witcher 3 does both, with seemingly no trade-offs being made. It plays brilliantly as a linear story game, or it plays brilliantly as a directionless open-world exploration game, it's up to you to decide.

JaxonH wrote:

I’d say it’s the most technically impressive as opposed to graphically. Don’t get me wrong, it can be a beautiful game at times...

Yep. It may be the best technical achievement so far, but I'd always prefer to look at something with just a good art style that runs at 720p on handheld at 60fps.
So Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 are still the more attractive to me. Breath of the Wild looks incredibly in handheld mode too.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Quarth

I couldn't resist trying Switcher out, even though my backlog is already too big. I agree with @JaxonH: while the Switch port obviously isn't comparable with previous versions when talking about the graphics, it's still very impressive from the little I tried. Seems like a solid game overall and right up my alley. But I need to finish some other games first.

Edited on by Quarth

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Jimez

For those going into Witcher 3 for the first time, you are in for a treat. The world might seem overwhelming at first, but it is by far one of the best RPG games of this generation. I might be as far pushed to say it (at times) beats Breath of the Wild in some areas.

Jimez

gcunit

@CTmatic I've only played about 5 hours, but as Dezzy says, it seems to offer a great combination of open world and story.

It's not as open as Breath of the Wild - it has more loading screens between locations, and if you die it feels like about 60 seconds to load your last save point. But there's more story. Sorry is not particularly my thing, and so far The Witcher 3 feels a little bit like I'm just traveling and fighting my way from cutscene to cutscene, but the cutscenes seem well done, with dialogue options (some decisive) keeping you engaged, so I'm still enjoying it.

On the graphics side, to me it seems very similar to Breath of the Wild - kinda like watercolour animation. The draw distance is probably less in TW3, but the amount of detail it's trying to render is probably greater.

My main draw to TW3 was that, as an industry observer, it seems the standout multiplatform game of the generation, particularly with the highly regarded DLC in the complete edition, and I wanted to experience it. All of it. And the best way for me to do that is on the Switch (I also own an XB1X, PS4pro and PC, and have the game on every platform).

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Zeldafan79

I tend to feel overwhelmed by most modern open world RPG's. There's just so much to see, do and keep track of i think oh man this is gonna take over my life! As a kid i remember thinking the original Zelda was too much to take in but these games today... Holy crap!

Any advice on what kind of items i should buy in the first shops? I think that's what i worry about most when starting a long game like this. How to get prepared before heading into battles so i don't get wrecked early on.

Zeldafan79

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic