Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Posts 401 to 420 of 3,397

Henmii

@VoidofLight,

I might have them confused with Ruby and Sapphire. Those have been remade on the 3DS right?

Henmii

VoidofLight

@Henmii Yeah, Ruby and Sapphire got remakes on the 3DS. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

StuTwo

jump wrote:

Can we please stop the Ganon bashing, he's just trying to rule in complete power just like other Kings and when others don't fall in line he has to deal with them. He's no different to <insert politician's name of who you were for from the last election>! ;p

"I'm calling on behalf of the 'Ganon Party', have you heard about Lord Ganon's plan to restrict royal privilege, nationalise royal assets and rewild hyrule?

Lord Ganon pledges to provide equal rights for monsters - including monsters who have recently arrived in Hyrule fleeing discrimination and persecution in neighboring countries.

Under Lord Ganon our economy will be revitalized - there'll be so much money that you'll not be able to cut down a tree without finding rupees!"

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

StuTwo

Myth Gannon slaughtered the population of Castle Town and raised it to the ground.

Fact the human population of Castle Town migrated to nearby villages over several years. Buildings were only demonlished when the town was no longer viable and the area has since been re-designated as a managed “re-dead” nature reserve.

Myth Lord Ganon violently initiated an unprovoked attack against an activist of the “Zelda party”

Fact this incident has been misrepresented. The activist was an extremist who broke into Lord Gannon’s private residence and confronted him armed with a sword. Lord Gannon did attack but this was purely in self defence.

Myth Lord Gannon will allow non-hylian monsters to overwhelm Hyrule and steal hylian children.

Fact this is entirely xenophobic- the “monsters” are sentient and come with their own rich culture. They can - and do - respect the rule of law but are subject to prejudice.

Myth gangs of monsters under Lord Gannon regularly murder travellers throughout Hyrule.

Fact no one has ever provided evidence of a fatal attack on hylian travellers at any point in the past 35 years. Fatal attacks on monsters by hylians are, sadly, a very common occurrence.

Myth the economy will suffer under Lord Gannon.

Fact red and purple rupees are far more common today than they were 35 years ago. Merchants are dramatically more successful and numerous - this is all due to Lord Gannons handling of the economy and his stimulus plan.

Myth Lord Gannon transforms into a giant pig at night.

Fact this is not true. It can technically happen at any time of the day and poses no danger. Turning into a giant pig is far safer to the population at large than turning into, say, an aggressive wolf.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

VoidofLight

I believe the “Botw sequel will be darker than Majora” was a misunderstanding. I think Anouma meant it was going to be darker than the original game, like how Majora was darker than Ocarina.

“The new Breath of the Wild or the sequel to it, it’s not necessarily going to be related to Majora’s mask or inspired by it... What we showed you currently is a little darker,"- Anouma

Edited on by VoidofLight

jedgamesguy

It was relatively dark, Breath of the Wild. Really conveys a sense of hopelessness.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Dezzy

Only for the small amount of time you were actually following the story. Most of the time you were just ignoring all that though, out there exploring.
That was one of the big problems with the first game. That lack of sense of urgency in the story. So completely different from something like a Xenoblade game.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

jedgamesguy

I wish Zelda games had stories as complex and layered as a Xenoblade game. Most Zelda stories can be explained in a single paragraph, and the Xenoblade ones take at least a page. It's not because it's overcomplicated but because of so many plot twists and developments.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

jump

@TheJGG Complex doesn't equal good by it's self and I'm not hugely keen on video game stories mainly as I don't think there's enough good writers in games to do it and the ones that do aren't normally in AAA/action & adventure games anyway.

Personally I think Zeldas generally have a simple narrative which works so I wouldn't like to see an overbearing explantion of the history of each MacGuffin or tropey stuff about fated hero children of destinies I will grit my teeth through.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

jedgamesguy

@jump I've noticed that Japanese writers produce video game stories at least as good as those of Western writers. Look at Hideo Kojima, I don't know how in the hell he came up with Death Stranding but all things considered that was arguably one of the most novel concepts in... fifteen years.

Complex doesn't always mean good, and good doesn't always mean complex, but I've always preferred a story with twists and developments instead of a story that goes exactly how I predict it would. Every Zelda game's story can be predicted, because despite its cinematic superiority to Mario games the storytelling's only a bit more detailed.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

jump

@TheJGG Both East and West are generally terrible in terms of video game writing. I've not played Death Stranding but I've always found Kojima's dialogue in games rather bad myself, I suppose you could blame the translators for that though.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

jedgamesguy

@jump Oh don't get me wrong, the writing in Death Stranding is awful at times, but the idea is so... strange and new that I'm absolutely in love. I hope someday the Zelda series can take a risk with story, it's been lacking lately.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

FroZtedFlake

@TheJGG I agree, it has always been really fun for me to get into the Zelda story but botw didn't have much of one, don't get me wrong I'm a fan so I still enjoyed it alot but it could've been so much better.

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

jedgamesguy

@FroZtedFlakerZz For me the gameplay was so addicting and distracting from the main story that it would have worked better if the story had less of a priority, which it did.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

jump

@TheJGG Not that I'm taking anything away from Death Stranding but I've seen similar ideas before. I can't remember it's name off the top of my head but there's a western about delivering goods over the badlands whilst avoding bandits to help out the small communities.

Nicolai wrote:

VoidofLight

Zelda stories don’t seem that complex on paper, but looking deeper into them, there’s more to them that meets the eye. Like with Majora’s mask mainly. That being said, I do hope that BOTW 2 has an actual story, since I play Zelda mostly for the story and lore.

jedgamesguy

@jump Perhaps, I think that the way it comes together is much more original than the idea of reconnecting society through delivering packages. Timefall, BTs made of antimatter, necrosis, umbilical cords, repatriation, becoming a father, human struggle, and more. The way these ideas... seemingly so distant from each other at times... combine is so well executed.

@VoidofLight Majora’s Mask has a serviceable story but I think you refer to the underlying themes and messages, which are so complex and deep. Grief is one such undertone, acceptance, friendship, and loss are others.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

VoidofLight

@TheJGG Zelda stories are more about the themes and characters, so effectively yeah. They’re also about the additional lore added. I feel like the original BOTW failed on the story, since I didn’t really find myself caring about the champions that much until Age of Calamity, and there’s no real reason to beat ganon, since the ending isn’t all that great, or as worth it.

jump

VoidofLight wrote:

I play Zelda mostly for the story and lore.

Your mind is gonna be blown when you discover actual good stories ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic