Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Posts 381 to 400 of 3,359

jump

I'm all for a Zelda having an in depth and complex story, it will be a nice first for the series ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Dezzy

I really want it to have a Xenoblade Chronicles level story. Really epic and long.

They probably won't though. It'd be hard to do it without Link talking as well.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

jedgamesguy

Zelda stories at their core still consist of a relationship triangle, of the hero, the damsel and the villain, just like Mario stories. But Zelda games do a much better job of making these tropes believable, and amplified, compared to Mario games, which use story so minimally because the emphasis is on getting straight into the action instead of wasting time with exposition.

Zelda games today have also been targeted at an older demographic than Mario, not just (likely) because of how much more effort seemingly goes into Zelda games, but also because stories in the Zelda series are much less sanitised and repetitive, but more mature (compared to Mario at least) and immersive. Storytelling devices like killing off characters to add emotional weight to a story, and world building, are used better in Zelda than in Mario, if they are even used at all in Mario. Mario games are more about light-hearted fun from platforming and collection, and Zelda games are more focused on fun derived from a realistic experience, and storytelling.

Zelda games are also typically harder than Mario games, and take longer to complete than Mario games. I'm no psychologist but children in the Mario demographic tend to have shorter attention spans than those in the Zelda one, and therefore it's more likely to finish a longer game if you're older, because you just won't stop and quit halfway through.

Mario games don't tend to evoke the same strong emotions of a typical Zelda game. In Ocarina of Time Sheik utters almost proverbial messages, that are cryptic, subtle, and intelligent. Depending on how easy you are at picking up clues you could either be lost, or revel in the poetry. As mentioned before some characters might die, or otherwise. The emotional impact is stronger in a Zelda game most times. In Wind Waker you'd set out to rescue your sister, and the incentive to rescue her is greater than an incentive to rescue Princess Peach for the umpteenth time, since it's a new idea, having a sister in a Zelda game.

Which leads to originality. Mario games tend to build on one another in a greater capacity than Zelda games, which might do this too, but not as much. Breath of the Wild represented a significant departure from the traditional Zelda formula and it shows, everywhere. The experiments and risks taken heavily paid off, resulting in a gaming experience like no other. While Mario games do this too, their risks are much more safe. They rely on momentum and don't try to upset the formula too much, by keeping some things in and changing others.

In other games using clues verbally given to you is part of a puzzle solving cycle. They reward your intelligence. Not that Mario games are always easier than Zelda games, in recent times there have been secret "final" levels that pull out all the stops and challenge a player very hard, like the Darker Side in Mario Odyssey, and the Champion's Road in 3D World. It was fascinating that Breath of the Wild appeared so difficult when it first came out, because some enemies could kill you in one hit at times, but after a while the difficulty scaling stops, and it becomes easier.

All in all I'd want a really story heavy Zelda game, and hopefully the Breath of the Wild sequel can fill this gap.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

teo_o

@TheJGG i think i already said this, but i would really like aonuma to aim for a ghibli level of storytelling, where ganon doesn't do evil things for the sake of evil, but rather has a purpose that matures with the rest of the cast.
It would be a nice spin, since we've been told for years that the purpose of the triforce is equilibrium and balance. of course i don't mean rip off princess mononoke, but they surely have the in-house talents to have a wider scope without going into politics.
i'm hopeful this time around he will subvert the classic expectations. "playable zelda" is becoming somewhat of a meme along with "swim underwater" for the new mechanics the players are expecting in the next one.
To me Aonuma (and whoever wrote the script) has already proven to be capable of doing so, with the plot of wind waker, which i won't spoil, but it's a nice work of changing a few things to subvert expectations.
(actually, to anyone interested, the lead responsible for the art of wind waker was Yōichi Kotabe, a legendary animator who also worked at toei and with miyazaki on nausicaa. aaaaand we come full circle)

Edited on by teo_o

teo_o

1ofUs

I remeber back in 2019 (and i'm being dead serious). I though for botw 2 they would use time travel to save the champions. I am being 100% serious I swear. Since AoC is a different timeline, i guess that's not happening.

If you spoil a game i will find you.
It's not quite a me, Mario!

Twitter:

jedgamesguy

@teo_o Having seen Princess Mononoke a few weeks ago I think that would elevate the Zelda series to a higher plane of video games. We don't need a Ghibli of video games, we have Ni no Kuni for that. But I agree that some complex relationships and plot strands would really make the Zelda series special.

Yōichi Kotabe did Wind Waker, and worked with Ghibli and Toei?! I haven't heard of him, but seeing an animator working primarily in film cross over into video games is a great compliment to the series. And Wind Waker's art style is unique, and really laughed in the face of modern games at the time.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23

VoidofLight

@teo_o Ganon never really did anything for the sake of just being evil, except for maybe oot and the games that came before. Twilight Princess was revenge, and windwaker ganondorf had some motive. BOTW’s calamity ganon was born from his Malice, with the goal of freeing ganondorf.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

jump

Can we please stop the Ganon bashing, he's just trying to rule in complete power just like other Kings and when others don't fall in line he has to deal with them. He's no different to <insert politician's name of who you were for from the last election>! ;p

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Dezzy

jump wrote:

He's no different to <insert politician's name of who you were against from the last election>! ;p

He's no different to the Green Party, Lol.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

1ofUs

I know this is technically botw 2 thread, but should i replay botw?

If you spoil a game i will find you.
It's not quite a me, Mario!

Twitter:

jedgamesguy

@1ofUs If it so inclines you go for it. As I've learned from playing the game seven times it has excellent replay value.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23

WoomyNNYes

VoidofLight wrote:

@teo_o Ganon never really did anything for the sake of just being evil, except for maybe oot and the games that came before. Twilight Princess was revenge, and windwaker ganondorf had some motive. BOTW’s calamity ganon was born from his Malice, with the goal of freeing ganondorf.

@teo_0 He has a big horse lurking south of great pleateau

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

FroZtedFlake

Yes I named that horse Chonky
Chonky was unable to hear your call

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

VoidofLight

It’s moreso a relative of his horse, since his actual horse would’ve been dead for a long time. Every 10,000 years calamity ganon comes back, so there’s no telling how long Ganondorf’s corpse has been in that area.

VoidofLight

I used Epona for most of the game. It felt odd not having her, since Link always had her in previous entries.

Henmii

@VoidofLight,

If Skyward sword would be the reason, that would be terrible. For me anyway, I can understand their sales point of view.

Henmii

VoidofLight

@Henmii Now it's pretty much guaranteed it won't come out this year, since Pokemon is the holiday title, and I feel like they would've saved Zelda for the Holiday title instead.

Henmii

@VoidofLight,

Yeah, you might be right on that. I am not a Pokemon guy and the sceenshots didn't look that hot (and it was remade on 3DS before, or am I wrong?). That other Pokemon game though...that might be interesting. Looks a little bit like they throwed Pokemon into botw. But that game is slated for 2022...

Update: Saw the remake trailer...ok it doesn't look that bad. Maybe a little bit smartphone-esque, but I have seen a lot worse.

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

VoidofLight

@Henmii Diamond and Pearl never got remade before. The game originally came out on the DS though. Honestly, the remakes don't look the best, but I like how they tried to make 3D models of the sprites.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic