Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Posts 1,441 to 1,460 of 3,397

Magician

As one of the minority who didn't like BotW because of the weapon durability, I can tell TotK is going to be more than a step better than BotW was. Because if Nintendo want to bogart ideas from Mojang and Minecraft (one of the hottest games in Japan at the moment) and put it in their little Zelda franchise...I'm all for it. Make no mistake, TotK will sell well.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

dionysos283

Since most of us agree that Nintendo is deliberately holding back information on TotK in order to avoid spoilers: how much more information do you think we will get before release?
Some think there will be a whole Zelda Direct. But I think, we won't get more than one or two trailers. Why would they hold back information to avoid spoilers for 6 years, just to spit it all out two weeks before release? Doesn't make sense to me.

dionysos283

TheBigBlue

@dionysos283 yeah, that’s super dumb. The suspense and lack of information is actually one of my favourite parts about this game before release. Splatoon 3 is a sequel to a game that many have already played on the switch, so there were limited things they could hide from the public anyway, hence the direct. Tears Of The Kingdom is gonna be so much more than ‘reused assets’ and ‘same boring game world’.

Why are people saying the overworld is boring? It’s the same overworld that revolutionized the industry a mere six years ago, why fix something that is already terrific? People will whine over everything I swear

Wait, why do we need a signature? Eh, I don’t know. Here’s your signature.

TheBigBlue

Should be called ‘Tears Of The Fanbase’ at this point

Edited on by TheBigBlue

JaxonH

I could never get into Minecraft. Too much creativity required.

But Dragon Quest Builders 2? Oh, I loved that game so much. It borrowed a lot of mechanics from Minecraft, but gave the player direction and distilled everything down into a more manageable format. It didn't feel overwhelming.

I like gameplay mechanics that integrate the user's imagination, as long as it's regulated and dispersed in good measure, and not an entirely open, directionless sandbox. And since TotK won't have terraforming like DQ Builders 2, it'll be far more focused, with little spurts of creative interaction here and there. Not so much that you get analysis paralysis from all the possibilities.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

SwitchForce

A hot take polls can be made for what anyone wants to get. Without no way to verify a poll that's just pure speculations. If this is a registered pool not general public - will you can guess how those turns out. Any polls should have verifications behind it. Those not familiar to the Zelda franchise won't see the significant to a TOTK of Zelda.

Edited on by SwitchForce

SwitchForce

Rambler

@dionysos283
Touche

In that video, the "Meh" result (32%) is much greater than the "No" (8%) result. Why combine them if they are two of the three options? You could easily combine the "Yes" and "Meh" results, to show that only 8% of respondents actively disliked what they saw. I'm guessing "Meh" here means indifferent, they didn't care. Do they actually care for the game at all? Were they ever going to buy the game?

Also note that sample size is very important, but so are other factors. If you sample 9k conservative voters on their voting intentions, I would expect nearly 100% would state conservative.

Also, it is much easier to articulate a negative view of something than a positive one.

But having said that, what he was saying about the timing of these negative opinions was interesting. Would be good to see if this is a one-off or a trend, and if so, which series (series?) of games it applies to.

Rambler

dionysos283

@Rambler

Like I said, it's not a scientific study, so I don't treat it like one. The poll just illustrates a real trend in the Zelda community. And for that the poll doesn't need to be 100% accurate or fulfill scientific standards. "No" and "Meh" both count as "unimpressed" in my few. And the opinion expressed in the video doesn't hinge on the results of the poll alone.
But I'm sure you already knew all of this.

What I find interesting about this is that there seems to be two camps of TotK critics: The old school Zelda fans that just want their dungeons, linear story, and item based progression back. And the BotW fans that explored this version of Hyrule 6 times already and don't want to explore this map a 7th time. Both camps come together in the criticism of ToftK. That's why it seems to be a relatively big minority of fans.

Edited on by dionysos283

dionysos283

VoidofLight

@TheBigBlue The original Game's world isn't boring as much as it is Empty, which it looks like TotK is fixing. The main concern I see is less "Oh, this world is boring!" and moreso people being afraid that the game itself can't invoke that same sense of exploration which BotW itself invoked, given that it's reusing the same map with what seems to be minimal changes for the most part. However, while that criticism is valid in my opinion, a good bit of the people who still hold it after the gameplay are those who can't really see the potential in the game mechanics being showcased. The four mechanics that we've already seen will change up how players think of the world and how they encounter it, along with many other changes to the world to make it somewhat visually different as well. We also don't know how the core gameplay loop differs from the original game either.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

TheBigBlue

VoidofLight wrote:

@TheBigBlue The original Game's world isn't boring as much as it is Empty, which it looks like TotK is fixing. The main concern I see is less "Oh, this world is boring!" and moreso people being afraid that the game itself can't invoke that same sense of exploration which BotW itself invoked, given that it's reusing the same map with what seems to be minimal changes for the most part. However, while that criticism is valid in my opinion, a good bit of the people who still hold it after the gameplay are those who can't really see the potential in the game mechanics being showcased. The four mechanics that we've already seen will change up how players think of the world and how they encounter it, along with many other changes to the world to make it somewhat visually different as well. We also don't know how the core gameplay loop differs from the original game either.

Bang on, I did see a lot of people saying it won’t invoke the exploration and feeling that the original had. And the new fuse ability and all the different new powers definitely should have helped with that perspective at least a bit.

huupawel

@Balta666 the issue with that is that they need to add stats, a skill tree and other rpg stuff that open world rpg games usually have (like Witcher 3) to add this sense of progression and levels of difficulty, Nintendo didn't want to add all of that to Zelda because they wanted to keep the series as most loyal as possible in that regard, and if you want an open world rpg with ubreakable weapons from Nintendo you have Xenoblade series who are excellent games. Zelda is more an Adventure game than a rpg and I'm perfectly fine with that.

huupawel

dionysos283

@Slowdive

What's your opinion about TotK so far? Are you worried about the seemingly identical overworld? How much do you think Nintendo is holding back? Do you think we will get some dungeons?

dionysos283

dionysos283

@Slowdive

I also believe Nintendo is holding back a lot of stuff. Otherwise it would be difficult to explain why it took them 6 years to make TotK, despite reusing so many assets from BotW (including the entire overworld!).

But Nintendo not showing us more about the game is a double-edged sword: On the one hand, it makes me more excited to discover all the new stuff for my self! On the other hand, it's impossible to guess what they've changed / added, and what remains the same. E.g. from what we've seen so far, the overworld seems to be largely the same; which makes me nervous, since exploring the overworld was my most favorite thing about BotW (and I already replayed it 3 times).

But the fact that Nintendo is confident enough about the game to charge $70 for it, makes me hopeful that it will be jam-packed with content.

dionysos283

Budda

The game being $70 now in the US. Does this make the game cheaper in Europe? I mean, we paid that for BotW already and by the price increase logic, TotK should actually be 80... But it isn't. So that make the game cheaper...?!

... Just kidding.
The whole "$70" thing just grinds my gears just a little. 😂

Laugh Hard, Run Fast, Be Kind

VoidofLight

@Slowdive The spiral rocks seem to be shrine replacements from the looks of things.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

darthcervantes

Wow, 6 years for an expansion pack?
Nintendo are the smartest folks in the world! First they get away with 3d all stars which was the laziest upscale effort in the world and now this.
Shame ON them for full pricing on this.
Of course I'm buying, but seriously, SHAME!

friend code is SW-5969-2048-5391

cwong15

Did you see the game size in the game shop? 18.2GB. There must be a lot of game in there. It's not like Nintendo would be careless about unnecessary cruft, because they of all companies know this will just exceed the 16GB cartridge size and push them over to the next (and more expensive) cartridge size.

cwong15

gcunit

Surely any game with an 'Ascend' feature has to have a 'Descend' feature too, right?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic