Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Posts 141 to 160 of 3,410

BruceCM

Dezzy wrote:

@Octane
We don't know how long Death Stranding is though. It could be a 10-hour long game.

Yeah, with 90 hours of cutscenes.... It's a Kojima Film

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Therad

Found a leaked image of the new ganondorf! Untitled

Therad

Octane

@Dezzy I highly doubt it. Probably a 40 hour game if you only do the story, but around 80-100 hours if you want to do everything. I expect it to be similar in length and scope as MGSV, but we'll see later this year

@Tsurii No, I definitely think you're right. Although it is true that they redid a lot of the map. So I don't think it's unreasonable to think that they used the two year delay to change/improve what they already had. But yeah, I wouldn't even be surprised if they didn't start working on this game right away. Maybe some worked on Link's Awakening first before moving back to BOTW 2.

Octane

Octane

@Tsurii It's just that people think every game takes six years to develop, so when they saw this announcement, they expected a 2023 release or something like that, even though it's reusing the engine, most of the map, and probably a lot more. I definitely think it's locked for next year.

Metroid Prime 4, well, that's another story...

Octane

Octane

@Tsurii True. But at the same time I loved DKC:TF. So they know how to make good games at least. And they can always hire more expert staff, that happens all the time. I'm more worried about the release date than the quality at the moment lol.

Yeah, good call. I hope they go all out with this one. MM was set a completely different world. Since this one uses roughly the same map, I'm hoping for even bigger changes elsewhere.

Octane

Therad

Octane wrote:

@Tsurii True. But at the same time I loved DKC:TF. So they know how to make good games at least. And they can always hire more expert staff, that happens all the time. I'm more worried about the release date than the quality at the moment lol.

Yeah, good call. I hope they go all out with this one. MM was set a completely different world. Since this one uses roughly the same map, I'm hoping for even bigger changes elsewhere.

I don't have much confidence in retro. They seem to have trouble getting stuff out the door. I also don't have much confidence in American work environment, especially for devs.

Therad

jump

Therad wrote:

I don't have much confidence in retro. They seem to have trouble getting stuff out the door. I also don't have much confidence in American work environment, especially for devs.

In fairness to Retro we don't actually know what's been going on with them. They have been pulled from their own projects to help out on things like Mario Kart before and there may have been other instances of this, they did also handle the port of Tropical Freeze themselves. Plus Nintendo of Japan are notorious for being funny with Western developers (see the Project H.A.M.M.E.R. stories) so they could have had games completely scrapped.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

rallydefault

Holiday 2020 at the absolute earliest. I think March 2021 or, gasp, even Fall/Holiday 2021 is a bit more feasible. Reusing assets or not, games take a long time to develop these days. People using the Ocarina-Majora timeline are comparing apples and squirrels. I'm sure devs would like things to be as simple (relatively) as they were back in the N64/early 3D days, but we're in the HD (moving into UHD) era now. Games take insane budgets and time. Also, the wording of the announcement makes me wary of a release any time soon: "The sequel is now in development." Makes it sound a bit further off, to me. Kinda like the initial Metroid announcement a couple years ago. People scoffed at me dissecting announcement language for BotW also coming to Switch, so whatevs, think what you want lol

My guess is Metroid will be the Holiday 2020 game. I still think a Skyward Sword remake or even some kind of super-nostalgia 3D Zelda trilogy of Ocarina/Twilight/Sword can be Fall 2020. Both would sell really well, and Ocarina has been on practically everything except my kitchen toaster, so yea.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

jump

rallydefault wrote:

Makes it sound a bit further off, to me. Kinda like the initial Metroid announcement a couple years ago.

There's a bit of difference between the BOTW2 and Metroid 4 announcements as Ninty actually showed footage of the game even if it was just cut scenes showing they are further along with the structure of the game than just saying they have commissioned the game.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Octane

@rallydefault Metroid Prime's developed got canned and they started over last year. It's definitely not coming out next year.

And like I said, Death Stranding is made in 3.5 years, that's a big open world game, completely unique IP. BOTW 2 can reuse the same engine, same assets, etc. Plus it doesn't rely on a ton of motion capture, voice work and expensive actors A 2020 release isn't unreasonable at all I think. Pretty likely actually.

I think games can be made quicker than publishers want you to believe. But it just sounds more ''impressive'' when they say ''Anthem has been in development for six years'', when three years of that was spent tossing some concepts and ideas around between a handful of people.

Octane

JoyBoy

I’m also in the holiday 2020 camp. Show a bit more at the game awards to sustain the hype and a full blowout at E3 next year. At least, that’s what I hope. I wouldn’t like it if they showed us the game now and not intend to release it next year. It’s not like it’s the original game which was a total new concept; no need to hype us that early.

In a perfect world it would be like Astral Chain where it gets announced and released in the same year.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

BruceCM

Yeah, this might well be out by E3, @Spanjard .... Or have a definite release date already announced before that, with gameplay shown off, etc
Just so they can focus on new announcements & suchlike for the conference

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

rallydefault

@jump
Dude, cut scenes and "actual footage of the game" are very different things. When you say "actual footage," I think gameplay. But that's just me. And companies have been showing cutscenes of games that don't come out for many, many years. <cough> FF VII remake <cough> Cutscenes are usually developed by entirely separate arms of dev teams. In some cases, cutscenes in games are actually farmed out to entirely separate developers (though 100% probably not the case in many Nintendo games).

It's whatever, as usual. We're all just spouting our opinions. My opinion is that Metroid is Holiday 2020, BotW 2.0 (and please, I hope it's more than that, but it's not looking good) is some time in 2021.

rallydefault

TuVictus

Yep, I think 2020 is a safe prediction. They already have cutscenes made, and considering stuff like that is usually the last thing Nintendo works on when making games, I'm sure they're aiming for some easy holiday sales next year. And of course having the same engine, world size, and I'm sure tons of unused ideas from the first game will help move it along quickly

TuVictus

jump

rallydefault wrote:

@jump
Dude, cut scenes and "actual footage of the game" are very different things. When you say "actual footage," I think gameplay. But that's just me. And companies have been showing cutscenes of games that don't come out for many, many years. <cough> FF VII remake <cough> Cutscenes are usually developed by entirely separate arms of dev teams. In some cases, cutscenes in games are actually farmed out to entirely separate developers (though 100% probably not the case in many Nintendo games).

It's whatever, as usual. We're all just spouting our opinions. My opinion is that Metroid is Holiday 2020, BotW 2.0 (and please, I hope it's more than that, but it's not looking good) is some time in 2021.

If it's in the game than it's actual footage

As you said Ninty are different to most games companies with their trailer/cut scenes where they keep their stuff in house but that trailer was not just generic combat-cool-looking-action type thing as they aren't superficial like that. It was demonstrating they know what direction they are going with it rather than we've just started working on it.

Nicolai wrote:

NintendoByNature

Picture this.... animal crossing, bayo 3, prime trilogy, and botw2 in 2020. That's another 2019 imo

NintendoByNature

Octane

@rallydefault But how can Metroid be next year when they scrapped everything they had earlier this year, and started over from scratch? You're suggesting a completely new game in less than two years! Now that's stretching it I think

Octane

JoyBoy

NintendoByNature wrote:

Picture this.... animal crossing, bayo 3, prime trilogy, and botw2 in 2020. That's another 2019 imo

And Pikmin 4... LOL

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic