Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Posts 1,381 to 1,400 of 3,359

Okami1

@VoidofLight the real question is: Does Tarrey Town still exist

dysgraphia awareness human

imagazelle

I still say this game probably primarily takes place during another timeframe (likely ancient past), or some split time period, given the different evolutionary appearances of monsters from the first game, the Zonai still existing to some degree, no shrines or Sheikah towers, etc.

Who knows... It could be that the hand we see holding down (presumably) Ganondorf in the trailer is actually Link's from another time...

I have a feeling that this game's story is what may make it more interesting (to some) to explore the "same" world again.

imagazelle

VoidofLight

@imagazelle It isn't in the past at all. Most of the gameplay pretty much proves it's Hyrule right after BotW, probably a month or two after, as we can see reconstruction happening in a lot of the overworld gameplay we've seen.

The hand is also not from Link. The Zonai themselves seem like they no longer remain, with the only things remaining from their culture being the constructs and sky islands themselves. The towers are gone because they most likely sunk back deep into the earth, and same goes for the shrines. The guardians are gone because they have been dismantled.

We also know that it's after BotW given that characters like Beetle still exist from the original game outright.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

MonadoBoy

@Bolt_Strike Thank you for articulating very well what my biggest concern with the game is. I absolutely adored BotW, it's one of my favorites of all time. Part of that was definitely from how much it shook up the Zelda formula, but the main draw of the game for me was its (at the time) unparalleled sense of exploration. There have been very few moments in my life as a gamer where I've had as much euphoria jumping off the Great Plateau for the first time and diving into a huge world I knew nothing about. Every direction I went in there was something satisfying to find, whether it was a shrine to figure out, an overworld boss to take down, or a sidequest to take on.

The problem I have with what they've shown with TotK so far is that they've done very little to address how they're going to be recapturing that sense of exploration with the same map template. There's islands in the sky, but how large is that collectively? Has the surface been expanded? Is there an underground network? I feel like the common thread of all Zelda games (at least for me) is exploration, so it's a shame they haven't been emphasizing that element of the game as much. On top of that, they haven't really mentioned much about rectifying flaws from the original (e.g. lack of thematic dungeons, lack of weapon repair system, enemy variety to some extent).

That's also kind of what NintendoLife's article today missed about people's criticisms. People aren't mad it's more of the same in the way Super Mario Galaxy 2, Majora's Mask, or Smash Ultimate were. Those games took assets from the old games and build completely new core experiences (levels, worlds, and fighters) out of them. Since the unexplored world of BotW was the most engaging part of the game for me, it's a shame that's not the part they're most focused on developing. If you want a fair comparison, it would be like if Super Mario Galaxy 2 only added new levels onto the existing galaxies of Super Mario Galaxy 1, or if Majora's Mask used the same overworld as OoT but just added a few dungeons and masks.

Right now my expectations for the game are very low, which will definitely play to the game's favor if Nintendo has been hiding most of its cards and the game ends up being amazing. I'm really hoping that's the case and I can come back to this thread and look like a complete moron from the lack of information I had. Regardless, I'm glad a lot of you guys are excited even if what they've shown so far isn't doing a lot for me.

MonadoBoy

CJD87

@MonadoBoy I agree with your comment, and equally have some concerns about TotK.

Disclaimer - I am certainly not a 'hater', and have grown up playing Nintendo's games since owning a SNES at age 6. I think they are a remarkable developer, and I'd personally rank their overall net output/quality above that of Sony & Microsoft (although I have a huge soft spot for Horizon / Ghost of Tsushima etc)

In simple terms, the main/only issue I have with TotK (considering what we have seen/know so far) is essentially the re-used map of hyrule. The new mechanics actually look pretty great, and I'm genuinely looking forward to some of the weird & wacky weapons/vehicles that will be built. But the idea that some people have poured hundreds of hours into BotW, only to then be charged 70$ to revisit the same geography (albeit with new moves), seems somewhat ridiculous.

BotW still remains one of my favorite gaming experiences, and I'll never forget the excitement of leaving the Great Plateau and just going out.... into the world to explore! I haven't had an experience like it since, with the exception of Elden Ring. Visiting Stormveil Castle in ER for the first time was absolutely remarkable, and testament to thr work that FromSoftware put into that IP.

I fully understand that TotK is a sequel to BotW, and equally am realistic that the Switch's power can only be pushed 'so far'. I still think TotK will be a solid game, and am looking forward to it... but I am certainly not 'excited' like I was for BotW/ER.

The gameplay showcase was absolutely bizarre as well.... Nintendo must be fully aware of fan concerns, so I find it astounding they didn't use this platform to generate some hype/comfort around legacy dungeons? (alongside weapon durability, I understand that more traditional dungeons are pretty much a 'must have').

There are still some weeks to go, and surely marketing will ramp up. But so far the effort level from Nintendo seems pretty low.

I'll twist the narrative somewhat here - if indeed the game is essentially 'same map with addition of sky islands, plus new skills/mechanics' - then I think Nintendo would have been better to actually sell it as DLC. Similar to what Capcom did with Sunbreak, perhaps releasing it as DLC with a 30-40$ price tag would have been the way to go... and would likely be a lot less divisive.

However, if they issued a new map and confirmed 7-10 dungeons then this (IMO) would be worthy of 'sequel' status. The map need not even be as big as BotW, but I think the 'new-ness' is what is being craved.

I really do want Nintendo to pull a miracle out the bag here, and I'm still hopeful that they might. But based on everything seen so far, I think the game will be met with a far more lukewarm reception than its predecessor

CJD87

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH will do. I think I know what I want but a second opinion is always nice.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Definitely-Not-Leon

@TheBigBlue @TheBigBlue Exactly that, mainly showing some new mechanics (who says the other mechanics are gone or that these are even all the new mechanics?) to, I guess, in advance stimulate the players to fantasize about all the things they could be doing in this same but also different Hyrule (it is not for nothing that Eiji Aonuma repeated that (this Hyrule being different) exact same part a few times.

I think Hyrule will be different:

Firstly, not only due to the numerous Sky Islands (which are vastly different in size (maybe even more Islands will rise up when you do certain stuff in the underground part of Hyrule? - think about the Lost Continent in Secret of Mana, which made the little five-year old me go crazy in excitement when it resurfaced from the sea and the epic music kicked in) and are sometimes even shrouded in thundery Clouds (think about the Wind Waker where you couldn't enter a few islands beforehand due to environmental stuff going on), with some even reaching really, really, really high up in the sky;

Secondly, also because a possible huge underground world would have been opened up (there are a few craters/holes here and there with Calamity-ish stuff coming out and we saw Link in an underground environment fighting a Talos in a previous trailer. Also, the very first trailer began with Zelda and Link excavating and then all hell broke loose, maybe it is not (only) about the Sky Islands at all, but maybe even more focused on what is happening underground or inside the various mountains (let there at least be Re-Deads all over the place - they still give the older me the chills when I hear their screams, haha);

Thirdly, both the enemies and the npc's seem to have travelled across the map and in some places have even started building new stuff (Age of Calamity showed us (may it be in Musou Style) how big and bustling some parts have been in the past, maybe there are new small metropoli across the map this time?), heck there are even Zonai doing research/collecting? Who knows even more species or whatsoever have entered (or reappeared in) this Hyrule, let alone that an earlier trailer showed us that the Calamity was entering enemies, what if it is also possible that the same Calamity enters normal npc's...that would be as scary (yes, I am easily scared, but I like it, haha) as the Ing creating Dark Troopers in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes...

To come back to you TheBigBlue: I am glad they didn't show (after seeing Zelda falling down, Ganondorf being in his freakiest form ever and Zelda asking someone (is it Ganondorf, is it the Zonai, is it...who is she asking...?) for help and power) more plotline/story stuff (other than the Zonai being here of course, which is also a huge fantasy-tickling thing), because for me one of the nicest parts of BOTW was stumbling upon a memory by accident and seeing a part of what had happened (some say those cut-scenes weren't very good, well for me (mind that I do play these games in Japanese, so I don't know about the other languages) the voice-acting and heartfelt emotions were top-notch and as a life-long Zelda-player (I started ALTTP together with my slightly bigger brother at the age of 4 and have played all Zelda's (except 1 and 2, no fan of the NES and Triforce Heroes)) these Princess Zelda-focused cut-scenes meant a lot to me personally. Can't wait to be amazed by the cut-scenes, the slightly and hugely adjusted OST-tracks (to everyone saying it is the same music...I am no audiophile but there are huge differences in the music already, as is always the case with every Zelda) and new nookies and crannies in this familiar yet different Hyrule with indubiously hints to older Zelda's all over again:).

Gaming since the early nin(e)ties and probably will until death does me apart :) .
Looking forward till the day we can game with all of our senses.

Rambler

JaxonH wrote:

@Rambler
Gotta love those vouchers, right?

$50 day one digital, not to mention the 5% back in gold coins and 2% back using a CC to buy eShop credit from Raise that was already discounted by 8%.

Grand total of $88.86 for TWO games, Zelda being one of them. That's $44.43 per game. 😋

But I still have the collector edition on the way, and the OLED.

It wasn't that vouchers, but it is a price point that is available online at a couple of UK retailers. You do have to shop around, but why wouldn't you?

But -but!! - what you mentioned there is an excellent way of getting a huge discount. And as you say, $88 for two when Zelda is retailing at $70 is just brilliant.

On top of that, you have the exchange rate, so $44.50 is £36!!! Blows my deal out of the water

I'm not one for buying big releases digitally. I think it's a resale thing, or even the idea of having a physical object for a major release, so the vouchers don't do it for me. It's pretty irrational, I know, but everybody has their quirks

Rambler

jump

@Rambler It's too late for others now but I ordered a physical copy of Kingdom Sad for £39.80 a month ago. I bought it at The Game Collection when they had a discount voucher on pre-orders, since then every discount voucher has made sure to exclude Kingdom Sad as I think too many people were using it.

I can't remember the last time I paid more than £40 for a game which comes down to not using Amazon or Game.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Rambler

@jump yeah mine was £48 at Hit / Base, and I thought I was getting a good deal!
This is the first game I have pre-ordered. Every other game I've got in a sale or at discount price / second hand.

Quick dad joke for you:

If Midna appeared in this, would it make it the Twilight Sad?

Rambler

jump

@Rambler You could try Currys, they rarely charge RRP so it's likely to be £49.99 plus normally the day of a game is released they will have a fiver off voucher so you might be able to get it for £44.99 depending if you want to wait an extra few days to play it.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Rambler

@jump
I'm happy with the price, so will stick with Base.

Got me thinking though - imagine if all those folks carping on about the price instead took 5 mins out to search and publicise deals, then we would have a happier community with more money.

Rambler

Namco

Untitled

Damn Link, how much wild did you breath in exactly?

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> â–² Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

dionysos283

By itself I think the Ascend ability is pretty unnecessary.

Aonuma: "As long as there is a ceiling, you can use it anywhere!"
Yeah, but you could also just climb it, like you did in BotW...?!

That's why I think, that this confirms that there will be huge underground structures. There the Ascend ability would be pretty useful, since you could always return to the surface! But of course it wouldn't work the other way around. 😅

Edited on by dionysos283

dionysos283

JaxonH

@SothisPocus
Enough to go full Tarzan, and I love it

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@dionysos283
Maybe, but I'm of the mind its just quality of life.

While climbing is fun, sometimes you just wanna get to the top. Ascend will make the gameplay flow much cleaner and streamlined.

Besides which, I imagine it will be integrated into environmental puzzles. Perhaps a river that goes underground and you have to swim out, then ascend through the ceiling to reach a secret room. Stuff like that. There's a lot of possibilities.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

jump

@dionysos283 I'm assuming it can be used for puzzles in some form too, like there's some McGuffin in a room with no doors so you need to figure out how to ascend into it type of thing.

Nicolai wrote:

JaxonH

Now that we've seen some of the new mechanics, it leads a lot of credibility to this leak that was discussed a week or so ago, which pretty much lines up in every way.

Not saying it's guaranteed but it does seem highly probable now. And this excites me hearing some of the other stuff.

VoidofLight

@JaxonH Ew... switch force. Rare that the guy didn't put his face in the thumbnail, but I'd rather not watch his content, given how he lies and manipulates his audience on the daily whilst also being flat out annoying.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic