Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Rumor and Speculation Thread

Posts 4,681 to 4,694 of 4,694

Pastellioli

Random, but does anyone remember those rumors of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess ports on the Switch? I’ve heard those two being rumored or expected to release for maybe 4 or 3 years and some fairly credible people were claiming so, but they still haven’t happened yet. It’s one of the most longstanding rumors I’ve remembered for a while. Personally, I do think they maybe could happen since some somewhat older games are getting Switch ports late into the Switch’s lifespan (e.g. DKCR) but I do think the chances are maybe a bit slim, because they could be saving that for the successor, but who knows, because I do think those rumors only really came out more after 3D All-Stars on the Switch a few years ago and people wanted them to do something for Zelda’s anniversary, plus it could just be that those “leakers” were following what the public was saying without having any info to back it up. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was true, because some “leakers” just don’t have sources at all and claim random stuff.

[Edited by Pastellioli]

Currently playing: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Rare Replay, Conker: Live and Reloaded and Hatsune Miku: Colorful Stage!
Current obsession: Conker’s Bad Fur Day
Xbox Gamertag: VividSkies1778

Switch Friend Code: SW-1834-9478-0593

TheBigBlue

@Pastellioli yeah, those two games are probably the most rumored switch ports of them all, even more than the old Metroid Prime Trilogy HD switch port rumors, which predate Prime Remastered by at least 3 years. Even prominent folks online like Jeff Grubb managed to get the predictions wrong! I remember he and a few others mentioned something like a “Zelda blowout” happening at the September 2022 direct. “Leakers” were saying “expect WW/TP HD and Metroid Prime Remastered (the latter did eventually come true 5 months later but the other games remain to be seen.) Nintendo Life even had an entire article published about it on here, I’ll see if I can link it here. That could also be why people hated the 2022 September direct, because it failed to meet the impossible standards of the internet rumor mill, even with the Pikmin 4 announcement (which was still amazing, I remember watching the teaser and losing my mind!) Nintendo could have been holding on to those ports, or they simply moved them over to the Switch successor catalog, perhaps to fill in a schedule gap like they are known to do. People understandably thought both WW and TP HD were locks for the Switch, since most of the other Wii u games have been ported by now, but it just never happened. I mean, both games were on 3 Nintendo console generations in a row (GCN, Wii, and Wii U) so Nintendo could have decided that not rereleasing them for a single console generation wouldn’t be the end of the world, and it really isn’t. With how popular these games are, they are going to come back eventually. It really is only a matter of not “if”, but “when?”

Ok I found the old article and the comments are hilarious, especially the one mariomaster made https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/09/nintendo-direct-zel...

[Edited by TheBigBlue]

Wait, why do we need a signature? Eh, I don’t know. Here’s your signature.

Pastellioli

@TheBigBlue Yep, I do think “leaks” and rumors like that can really set expectations super high and just lead into disappointment in the end, like with the September 2022 Direct. It’s pretty much why I sort of don’t follow rumors or “leaks” a ton anymore, plus with what happened recently with two leakers last month. I think those that claimed a Zelda “blowout” was going to happen at that time was because I think the series turned 35 the previous year, and I think Nintendo Life and a lot of people were expecting ports and a possible Zelda-themed “3D All-Stars” collection to happen, like what they did with Mario back in 2020, and seeing the treatment Mario got, it was expected that Zelda was to get something similar as well. However, I can understand why they were expected to release on the Switch, since a ton of essential games released on the GameCube, Wii, WiiU were given Switch ports and those two seemed to be very obvious and no-brainers. I still expect those to be re-released at some point, but maybe not for the Switch and possibly the next console. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if it was released late in the Switch’s lifespan because Nintendo does release ports and remasters late into their console’s lifespans.

EDIT: Saw the meme and it was so hilarious. That is so funny but actually true. A lot of people were trying to guess it appearing with every direct that was announced and nothing showed up. Seems like a lot of people have given up on trying to guess or predict them happening.

[Edited by Pastellioli]

Currently playing: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Rare Replay, Conker: Live and Reloaded and Hatsune Miku: Colorful Stage!

Grumblevolcano

@TheBigBlue @Pastellioli It made sense considering the pattern, Zelda had a game every year for awhile and then TotK was delayed to 2023 back in March 2022 so there was a load of speculation over what the 2022 game was going to be. Turned out to be nothing and then the speculation reappeared for this year, "there's no way that Nintendo would release a brand new Zelda game for Switch in 2024 when they could save it for Switch 2 launch window instead".

In the end this whole speculation showcases that the best approach to take is treat the Switch 2 as if it doesn't exist. Yes, they did that announcement in May but they worded things in such a way that it says absolutely nothing about the release timing of the system.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Bolt_Strike

A new patent has just been made public that seems to be an evolution of Labo VR, just found out about this one from a Mr. Robot Jo video.

https://ppubs.uspto.gov/dirsearch-public/print/downloadPdf/12...

The design seems largely similar to Labo, but the biggest difference seems to be that the camera projects a UI in the virtual space. Is Switch 2 potentially building on Labo or is this another patent they just sit on?

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

CaleBoi25

@Bolt_Strike very interesting... I wonder what will come of this. Could I have the video link?

SplatComp

Courage need not be remembered, for it was never forgotten.
-Princess Zelda

Team Past!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3225-4369-7994 | My Nintendo: CaleBoi25

Haruki_NLI

@Bolt_Strike Given it's public, it's a patent they're sitting on.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

FishyS

I do hope Labo returns; it's such a fun idea.

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

OctolingKing13

ive always wanted splatoon in vr, that would be awesome imo.

team BREAD
and most importantly team future !!! so exicited for final fest its becoming a really big year for nintendo now !!
😻😔😔😔😋😔🙀

CaleBoi25

@OctolingKing13 Headache-inducing fun, yes, but I would love that too!

SplatComp

Courage need not be remembered, for it was never forgotten.
-Princess Zelda

Team Past!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3225-4369-7994 | My Nintendo: CaleBoi25

varemenos

Pokemon Snap or Arceus in VR would be amazing.

varemenos

Pastellioli

Never tried Labo, but the concept did seem interesting.

Qwertyninty

This is the first Nintendo hardware I’ve been excited for since the revolution which they ended up going away from and giving us the Wii.

Qwertyninty

skywake

Apparently it has been discovered that the file decompression hardware acceleration in the Switch 2 SoC is using the same algorithm that Switch games currently use for compression. In other words it's possible that Switch BC could use this feature and significantly improve load times for existing Switch games, especially when loaded to internal storage

Now presumably Switch 2 native games would use an even more aggressive compression ratio so would get more out of it. And with Switch BC you'd expect this to be better anyways given the beefier CPU. But even so, this is generally a weak spot for Switch games and so could be a huge point of difference in this transition. And possibly even a solid reason to play Switch on Switch 2, depending on how BC plays out

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic