Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Rumor and Speculation Thread

Posts 4,641 to 4,660 of 4,693

skywake

@Qwertyninty
To be fair, nothing I said in that post was "over the moon" and there are specs that are more-or-less confirmed. We know it'll have UFS3 storage, we know it'll have 12GB RAM, we know it's an Ampere based Tegra SoC, we know it has hardware acceleration for file decompression

All I was saying was that when we compare it to the PS4/XBOne generation people tend to think only about the GPU comparison. But that these other specs will certainly be as if not more significant. In particular the CPUs AMD were making in this era were, well, not good and will be a bar that Switch 2 will comfortably clear

My point was mostly that even if the clocks are fairly conservative you would expect Switch 2 to outperform that generation of systems in some areas. Even if the GPU is weak the better CPU should allow higher framerates when the GPU isn't the bottleneck. The faster storage and hardware acceleration for storage should allow significantly better load times

So in terms of the relative performance level I'd expect it to impress on any CPU, storage or asset resolution limited aspects. But the thermal and power limitations are going to mean it will, relative to its overall performance, underperform on things that need raw GPU power. Like render resolution, quality, effects and so on

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Haruki_NLI

Yeah I think people tend to forget how....actually god awful the PS4 and Xbox One were. There's a reason the PS4 Pro sounds like a fighter jet when all they did was overclock an already hilariously bad CPU even when the PS4 was new, and stuff a bigger GPU in there with it.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Qwertyninty

@skywake my apologies, I wasn’t referring to you with the over the moon comment. There are people on famiboards hyping the capabilities of this a bit too much IMO. There is a lot we don’t know. One bad decision like process node can deliver a big hit on what the system is capable of. I personally would rather be surprised than disappointed. Nintendo has the chance to do something they have never really done in the console space. I’m excited for gaming again. Also on the sales front I have seen a lot of people predict this will be another 100 million seller no matter what. I disagree with that. There is still a lot that has to go right. Also, people underestimate how much the pandemic helped push the sales of this console.

Qwertyninty

TSR3

@Qwertyninty Did you think I was being 'too over the moon'?
I'm not going to dint your cautious optimism, but while you're right that a bad decision could hobble the system, what we do know of the specs so far (T239 SoC, 12 GB LPDDR5X RAM, 256 GB UFS 3.1 storage) suggest the right decisions for a balanced system are actually being taken. I doubt the node will be a bad one, whichever one is chosen. I'm looking forward to seeing what a mobile based system with DLSS is capable of, and for a new era of Nintendo games. Roll on March 2025 ...

TSR3

Qwertyninty

@TSR3 no you were not being over the moon. I just can’t allow myself to get excited until all details are out. Things are pointing in the right direction. There are those on famiboards that are so arrogant and “over the moon” with their analysis and expectations of the console performance they maybe setting themselves up for a big disappointment. I’ve been burnt before by Nintendo and won’t be again. I’m just happy I will be getting to play COD next year on my switch everything else is irrelevant as long as that happens.

Qwertyninty

SwitchForce

What I want to see is if they use 3D cart for games upcoming that will be what Devs want as the games will be bigger and more they fit before having to do Day-One Update is better for them to sell later on DLC or season passes. What's not to get excited about Switch 2? No one is asking anyone to get a Switch 2 here. And burnt by Nintendo? This is akin to Switch is underpowered complaints but here we have 8 years and Switch are still selling?? This makes no sense. People need to better redirect their entitlement at how limited in size and power a Switch Hybrid console can accomplished for it's design. Other makers copied how to look like the Switch but can't give you a Physical and eShop together design and still not cost a arm/leg. Just look at those others' prices they are limited whom can buy them and use them.

SwitchForce

link3710

Y'know what, I want to speculate on some actual games for the Switch 2 (and this seems like the place).

It seems incredibly likely a new Smash Bros is in the works. And the roster of that game is insanely large right now, cuts seem inevitable. So here's my roster speculation:

Untitled

In summary, I'm expecting huge cuts with also a large number of newcomers.

• Mario Series will see Bowser Jr., Dr. Mario, Piranha Plant will all be cut, but we'll get Captain Toad / Toadette (costumes for the same character) and Nabbit will be added
  • DK will see Dixie Kong added (and maaabye K Rool cut, it depends on what Nintendo is planning...)
  • LoZ will see Shiek, Toon and Young Link cut, but add Toy Link, Toy Zelda + King Rauru
  • For Metroid, Dark Samus, ZSS, and Ridley will all be cut, but we'll get Sylux
  • Yoshi will get Poochy... but as early adopter DLC a la Piranha Plant
  • Kirby will see Meta Knight cut and Bandana Dee added... in the first DLC pass
  • Star Fox will cut Wolf.
  • Pokemon will cut Jigglypuff, Pichu, Greninja, Incineroar, Ivysaur, and Squirtle, but get Rillaboom and Quaquavel
  • Earthbound will cut Lucas
  • Fire Emblem will cut Lucina, Roy, Chrom, Ike, and Corrin, but add Alear, Lyn (as a bone to westerners), and Sigurd (who will have a remake out by then)
  • Kid Icarus will cut Dark Pit and Palutena
  • Animal Crossing will add Tom Nook
  • Wii Fit Trainer will be reworked as Ring Fit Trainee, but both genders will be available as costume options
  • Xenoblade will get Mio as a new character
  • For weird retros, R.O.B and Duck Hunt will be cut, but we'll get... Kyle Hyde (IDK predicting this is insane)
  • Splatoon will get Callie / Marie as costumes for the same character, as well as Big Man.
  • Capcom, Microsoft, Bamco and Sega will all have their reps return (though maaaaybe B-K won't return)
  • Konami will be weird and we'll get Simon and Richter but no Snake
  • Square Enix won't be involved (no Cloud, Sephiroth, Hero, or Sora)
  • New characters will include: Crash Bandicoot (Microsoft), Palico (Monster Hunter, Capcom) and a Rhythm Heaven guy.

link3710

Magician

@link3710

SSBU was a "last wish" / "final mission" of sorts from Iwata to Sakurai.

We'll most likely never get another. If not Sakurai, heaven help the next soul who attempts it.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/02/smash_bros_ultimate...

Switch Physical Collection - 1,274 games (as of July 10th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

TSR3

@link3710 I'd got the idea we were more likely to get a SSBU Deluxe version for Switch 2? (I don't have a specific link, this is more my impression from others speculations)

PS I do like your list though, nice and comprehensive

[Edited by TSR3]

TSR3

CaleBoi25

@link3710 If Sheik is cut I will riot
Also, I doubt we see Big Man as a standalone. Mr Grizz is a possibility IMO (i made a movest for him actually, I can link it for those intersted.)
I doubt StarFox or Kirby will get cuts. Three down to 2 a big change versus Mario going from ~7 to 5, ykwim?

SplatComp

Courage need not be remembered, for it was never forgotten.
-Princess Zelda

Team Past!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3225-4369-7994 | My Nintendo: CaleBoi25

link3710

@Magician That's incredibly unlikely. In the link you posted it literally says the DLC was outside of the mission, meaning they kept developing outside of what Iwata asked for.

It's very likely that we'll get another game, whether it's on this system or the next. Nothing ever implied Iwata told Sakurai to make a "final" Smash game for all time. I think it's likely we'll get another one, and Sakurai will finally not be attached to the project. In fact, that's why I suggested such a huge roster change, because a soft reboot feels like the only thing they can do.

@CaleBoi25 It really depends if Sakurai is back. Big Man feels like the kind of pick he'd make. But yeah, Mr. Grizz is also another good option. Personally I'd be pissed at Lucas and Ivysaur getting cut but I'm just trying to guess what's likely lol. And Star Fox will almost certainly get cuts if you're looking to prune the roster. Wolf already got cut for Smash 4 in the past after all and the franchise has been floundering for decades. Kirby would be going from 3 to 3, Bandana Dee would be there after all.

@TSR3 I mean it's certainly possible... but I've got a suspicion that Nintendo won't want to miss the hype the DLC train generates. Now they could just add more characters to Ultimate but... What's their long term plan? If you keep making Ultimate bigger, how do you ever move on? IDK, I could absolutely be wrong but the only speculation I've seen has been people saying "well they can't top ultimate so they'll just keep rereleasing it forever" and that's not a very Nintendo mindset.

[Edited by link3710]

link3710

Ulysses

link3710 wrote:

Now they could just add more characters to Ultimate but... What's their long term plan?

I believe the answer lies in a Smash Bros reboot that refocuses on the single player component, which doubles as an indirect reinforcement to Nintendo's future cinematic universe in theaters.

Nintendo is planning for the second Mario movie in 2026 to lay the groundwork for a Nintendo Cinematic Universe. And the Smash Bros series has already given us a myriad of glimpses of what that could look like through its cutscenes, but none more so than in the Subspace Emissary.

Fans have been begging for Nintendo to bring back another single player campaign to Smash similar to the Subspace Emissary. And what better way to lean into such a thing than for it to serve as cross-promotion for their line of interconnected movies being rolled out within the next 7-10 years?

If it's a reboot then everything will probably be tweaked. The combat probably won't see a complete overhaul, but I think we will see a subtle reimagining to the classic formula, perhaps a slight revamp to the controls as well as the fundamental abilities laid out for each character. I think we'll see a bigger and grander single player campaign, and even perhaps a few winks and Easter eggs for Nintendo's future movies.

Despite its innocent and unassuming beginnings, I believe the Smash Bros IP will grow to more overtly promote the potential of Nintendo's interconnected universe, beginning with the cinema for the next ten years, while the next 20 years will probably see Nintendo transitioning its stable of franchises into a competitor to Fortnite's virtual park of various interwoven IP.

[Edited by Ulysses]

Ulysses

CaleBoi25

@Ulysses OK, first off, that was so fancily worded! But also, i like what you said. If Nintendo goes that route I'd be cool with it.

SplatComp

Courage need not be remembered, for it was never forgotten.
-Princess Zelda

Team Past!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3225-4369-7994 | My Nintendo: CaleBoi25

link3710

@Ulysses Yeah, I agree that it's gotta be a reboot of some sort. I went a bit softer than your concept, but it can't just be a follow-up.

That saiiiid... I don't think a Nintendo Cinematic Universe is happening, nope. Mario and Zelda (and Pokemon, but that's it's own giant legal mess) are big enough to be movie franchises, and Splatoon and Animal Crossing have potential, but I don't think they'll be able to pull off Kirby, Metroid, Fire Emblem, etc. as movies. The movie market requires so much more pull than video games, and film studios are only growing more and more conservatives in hedging their bets. Banking on a new cinematic universe right now? The furthest thing from a sure bet.

In fact, the Zelda movie is live action, while Mario is animated? Sure doesn't sound like they plan to interconnect those two at all. Nearly every 'cinematic universe' that wasn't Marvel has flopped. Now, Nintendo could pull it off by not making the same dumb mistakes (Not having good solo movies first, focusing on the shared aspects to the detriment of the individual films, oversaturating the market, etc). But I just don't see anyone (even Illumination) wanting to take the risk in a post-covid world.

link3710

skywake

interesting.... honestly I think the conclusion of this reddit post reaches in the title is somewhat of a stretch. Mostly because they've literally sold GC controllers for both the Wii U and Switch before. And if it's My Nintendo exclusive then there really doesn't have to be a reason I don't think

With that said, GC on NSO in some form is probably coming at some point or another. And despite what some people seem to believe there's no technical reason why it couldn't happen on the Switch as it is. The only reason I think it's worth being cautious about speculating that GC is coming to NSO is because Nintendo has been doing fairly well with GC era remasters and remakes

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Grumblevolcano

@skywake Considering Smash is the only reason why GC controller support has lasted so long (would've been ditched after the Wii otherwise), a reappearance of GC controllers would give me the impression of something Smash being announced. Perhaps a Melee remaster to get people used to the concept of a smaller roster so the next new Smash game doesn't end up a repeat of the whole Sword/Shield national dex thing.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

StuTwo

I think a "Nintendo Cinematic Universe" is almost certain within a hype dampening framework. Whilst I don't think that we'll see Mario and Link assembling together with Kirby and Pikachu "Avengers style" I do think the Mario movie had a couple of sequences that set out the potential for spin-offs in addition to straight sequels. Certainly DK has a big presence and a big enough name to hold a film series of its own and Luigi's mansion was hinted towards.

I also think the potential for an animated children's TV series in that style is very, very clear (and I'm astonished that movement hasn't been made towards that yet). Animated TV is something that Nintendo was big on and successful with in the 80's/early 90's (with dreadful shows too) and whilst they might not be huge money spinners it's an obvious avenue for making Nintendo IP more resilient and broader long term.

As for GC on NSO I'm sceptical. It can clearly be done technically but I'm not sure it will have the appeal that some people assume it might. The best games on GameCube are by this point mostly already available in HD remasters/remakes. A budget "Sega Ages" style range of more obscure games like Chibi Robo, Doshin, Animal Leader, Captain Rainbow etc. would be very welcome but it's not the mass market subscription driver that; Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, TTYD and Pikmin would be (if they weren't already available in better versions).

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

FishyS

StuTwo wrote:

The best games on GameCube are by this point mostly already available in HD remasters/remakes. A budget "Sega Ages" style range of more obscure games like Chibi Robo, Doshin, Animal Leader, Captain Rainbow etc. would be very welcome but it's not the mass market subscription driver that; Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, TTYD and Pikmin would be (if they weren't already available in better versions).

To be fair, they could still put the original version of Sunshine, Prime, TTYD on NSO. They did it for Mario 64 and Link's Awakening. Granted, that is one of the reasons I personally never got expansion pack but some people still subscribe. And of course wind waker could in theory be that subscription seller since we haven't seen a remaster on Switch yet. There is also of course Gamecube warioware, strikers, mario kart etc. which wouldn't necessarily make sense to remaster but could be on NSO.

[Edited by FishyS]

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

Grumblevolcano

@FishyS 3D All Stars was delisted before Mario 64 got added to NSO and the gap between Link's Awakening remake and NSO original was 3.5 years. If Gamecube got added to NSO I think there'd need to be a bigger focus on 3rd party support. So like SEGA putting games featuring Shadow on there to add to the Year of Shadow celebrations or Tomb Raider Legend appearing considering it's on PS2 classics for PS5.

Considering SEGA stopped supporting NSO a year ago (last Mega Drive batch was June 2023) and there's very little 3rd party support on N64 NSO outside of Microsoft (Rare) and Throwback, I can't say I'm optimistic for 3rd party support opportunities if Gamecube NSO was to happen.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

StuTwo

@FishyS I'm certainly not saying it's impossible - what you've described is certainly a possibility - but honestly if there's a definitive edition of Metroid Prime on Switch why would anyone (outside of curiosity or research purposes) want to play the "original"* on NSO? If it's only budget then surely the better way to resolve that would be to reduce the cost of the remasters?

As long term fans and real enthusiasts we might have an interest in them but that's different. If their point is to service us then a Digital Eclipse style package putting the original games in their "original" form into some kind of historical context would be greatly more valued.

GCN on NSO would also turbo charge what is already a problem with the N64 app - some of those games have a lot of great stuff... locked and gated behind hours of tedium. Put simply I'm less likely to casually start a game that I know involves 3 or 4 hours to get going.

*Obviously with any 3d game the emulated version will never actually be exactly what you had at the time. If you see the N64 app some games like Pilotwings 64 look and occasionally even play quite different.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic