Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Rumor and Speculation Thread

Posts 2,761 to 2,780 of 4,147

FishyS

@skywake That just makes me think that a Mario Kart with a true story mode would be neat — like a 3D-ish Mario game where you periodically had to jump into a car and race as a natural part of the story. I think single player Mario Kart has a lot of possibilities.

Changing online multiplayer in a really drastic way I feel would be harder though, unless they had you get out of your car and like do platforming racing on top of a train or something and then jumped back into another car... that would definitely be a pretty drastic change though and I feel would be much easier to do in single player.

Edit: Now I'm thinking of interesting things you could do just with cars. Maybe a point A to point B race instead of a circuit with a wide open space and a zillion possible paths with various obstacles and boosters. Or having more things which change semi-randomly on a track which you have to adjust for. I think Nintendo could do a lot of creative things, but changing the formula too much would of course have some risk.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

GrailUK

@skywake I think I get your point Because the next Switch will be an incremental innovation as opposed to a radical one, then don't expect a radical change to Mario Kart?

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

MarioBrickLayer

@TSR3 ha ha!!! Yes!! If you haven't seen ot, there is a bit in the movie where Mario is jumping between different karts, it could be fun!

MarioBrickLayer

TSR3

@MarioBrickLayer Actually I’m going be watching it today. We’ve just bought a digital copy for my offspring to watch as we weren’t able to make the cinema. I’ll look out for that bit of karting parkour 😁

TSR3

Grumblevolcano

A rather unique situation of the next Switch would be that any new Mario Kart would be directly competing with MK8 Deluxe unless a new game went down the drastic change route (e.g. Forza Horizon being very different from Forza Motorsport).

That hasn't really properly happened before, you can argue stuff like being able to play MKDS on a 3DS and MKWii on a Wii U but those 2 games had been made worse by the time the new game launched. MKDS had a big hacker problem where you'd see lots of people with infinite item spam, MKWii also had this problem at times but Nintendo shut down the DS and Wii online servers 10 days before MK8 launched anyway so if you wanted to play a Mario Kart online your only choices were playing MK7 on a 3DS or MK8 on a Wii U.

The online stuff doesn't affect local only players but the overall picture is still different from how things would be on the next Switch.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MarioBrickLayer

@TSR3 I hope I haven't spoiled it, i'm sure the bit i'm talking about is in the trailer! Enjoy!! Post what you think later!

@Grumblevolcano that's a good point, if there's backwards compatibility the same would apply to Smash and Splatoon. People will buy 3D Mario and Zelda regardless

MarioBrickLayer

GrailUK

I think it's agreed across the internet now that Nintendo don't have to do anything radically different with their next console while they are market leader and have little competition in their space. So what does everyone think Nintendo have planned for between Pikmin 4 and the launch of their next system? I reckon it will be a while before the Switch 2 sees first party exclusives (much like any conventional transistion - and this could be the first time they have done one! And more likely just third party stuff that wouldn't fit on Switch) so we will still see some big Switch titles. Especially with such a massive user base.

Edited on by GrailUK

MarioBrickLayer

@GrailUK Personally I don't think they'll do any major cross generational releases, new 3D Mario etc will all be exclusive to Switch 2.

If the Switch 2 is coming out in the first half of 2024, I think we'll mainly see ports between now and then, Metroid Prime 2, Metroid Prime 3, F-Zero GX etc.

MarioBrickLayer

Grumblevolcano

@MarioBrickLayer Splatoon's a different situation given the story side of things. When there's some kind of single player story mode present, sequels are a lot more natural.

That's the biggest reason people are so annoyed about GTAV going on so long from what I can gather, it's a single player game whose added multiplayer mode became so big that the single player experience got completely shafted. No single player expansions like with GTAIV and GTAV is 10 years old in September with GTA6 seemingly still at least a year away.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

GrailUK

@MarioBrickLayer Next Direct is going to be fun as we know nothing (apart from a logo.)

Fizza

I'm really starting to think we may get a Direct in June.

Yes, I know E3 has been buried 6-feet under and Nintendo haven't held a non-E3 Summer Direct in ages, but this year feels....different. Literally the only 1st-Party release left that isn't just DLC left for 2023 that we're aware of is Pikmin 4....which comes out in just under two months time. I find it extremely unlikely that Nintendo hasn't got something for both Autumn AND Winter (with the only two things that currently occupy that slot being Pokemon and MAAAAAAAYBE Splatoon DLC) so something's gotta be in the works, right? As for what that something might be, I haven't got a clue (though I would put good money on it being somewhat related to Gamecube).

I'm not really too bothered by the lack of stuff on the horizon myself (got the aforementioned DLC's, Plucky Squire and Ghost Trick to tide me over for the rest of the year), I'm just perplexed by the sheer silence of it all, you know?

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

blindsquirrel

@GrailUK
I think we see a bunch of ports.

If it’s gonna happen, the Wii U Zelda remasters are prime candidates. TTYD as well, but I think a new game is more likely.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

TheBigBlue

@blindsquarel I don’t doubt the existence of the WW/TP HD ports on switch, but it feels far too soon. TOTK hasn’t even been out for a month yet. Knowing Nintendo, they are going to ride the wave of TOTK success for a longer time than most believe. It’s a huge game and a great one at that. What is the rush to shove Zelda ports out the door at this stage? I would probably predict those two ports dropping a year into the new console’s lifetime, no matter how far away that is.

Wait, why do we need a signature? Eh, I don’t know. Here’s your signature.

blindsquirrel

@TheBigBlue
Yeah, it would be a quick turn around. But it is a easy way to sell two games at full price and, most importantly, my Wii U game pad has a sucky connection range and I want to play them on switch.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

Grumblevolcano

For Zelda, the most I could see for the rest of the year is GBA ALttP/Four Swords and the GBC Oracle games being added to NSO.

Grumblevolcano

Okami1

@Professor_Plumber and the direct will have a reveal for more TOTK content. We be eating good this year.

dysgraphia awareness human

TheBigBlue

Once June 1st hits, social media is going to burn down houses until a Direct happens, continue burning houses down when Nintendo doesn’t announce 50 million remakes/remasters for 5 year old video games at their direct, and continue burning even more houses down if there is no direct or the direct is a mini

Wait, why do we need a signature? Eh, I don’t know. Here’s your signature.

Okami1

@TheBigBlue social media is already burning down, a Direct will just fuel the fire.

dysgraphia awareness human

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic