Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Rumor and Speculation Thread

Posts 1,901 to 1,920 of 4,146

NintendoByNature

That would be something if we got Astral Chain 2 before Bayo3. Not that I'm insinuating it would happen, just saying.

NintendoByNature

HotGoomba

I hope this means no more begging for Switch Pro.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

WoomyNNYes

Do we think Switch eshop purchases will carry over to the next gen hardware? (Didn't xbox one digital game purchases carry over to series x?)

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

HotGoomba

WoomyNNYes wrote:

Do we think Switch eshop purchases will carry over to the next gen hardware? (Didn't xbox one digital game purchases carry over to series x?)

That's a bit of a double edged sword. On one hand, it makes perfect sense since Nintendo has backwards compatibility with most of their other systems. Wii U played Wii games and supported previously purchased WiiWare games, the 3DS did something similar, and the GBA line (minus Micro) supported the whole lineup of Game Boy games, plus the DS and DS Lite supported GBA games.

ON THE OTHER HAND, Nintendo could take advantage of consumers, and just cut backwards compatibility with Switch games, and then just rerelease them as ports. I doubt they'll take that route - in fact the only reason why the Switch didn't support the Wii U is because discs in a portable console makes no sense, also only two people had a Wii U - but Nintendo does a handful of anti-consumer things, and we don't know how the architecture of the next-gen Nintendo console would work, and if it would easily support older games, similar to the PS4.

Both ways seem like very Nintendo things to do, so either way, hold on to your trousers.

Kermit1doesmath

HotGoomba wrote:

- in fact the only reason why the Switch didn't support the Wii U is because discs in a portable console makes no sense, also only two people had a Wii U -

Oh so that's why my copy of Skylanders Trap Team for the Wii doesn't work.
Untitled
don't mind the mess pls

Edited on by Kermit1doesmath

dysgraphia awareness human

Fizza

@HotGoomba I could only really see it if the next console still uses cartridges (I hope to god it does because cartridges are far more durable and less prone to getting ruined than discs, my old DVD collection is testament to that).

Eshop purchases carrying over is where things would get a bit more.... murky. I think it would be cool if they pulled a PS5 and had upgrades for each game you bought on that previous system to match the specs of the new hardware (minus the whole having to pay for it bit because I feel like that's stupid since, if you already bought the game, why would there be a need to pay another sum just to play an upgraded version on the next console up?) but I'm not sure how connecting two potentially very different systems could work. Maybe it'll involve your Nintendo Account? Or the credit card(s) you used to pay for those games in the first place? Or maybe the next console is indeed a Wii-Wii U situation and everything's backwards compatible out the gate, who even knows with this company honestly!

TLDR: I'd really like it, but it could get far too complicated to be worth putting the effort in to make it work.

Also, I swear your icons keep getting weirder by the day. That's not an insult by the way, I'm a big fan of how much mileage you get out of that singular Poomba image XD

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

HotGoomba

Fizza wrote:

@HotGoomba I could only really see it if the next console still uses cartridges (I hope to god it does because cartridges are far more durable and less prone to getting ruined than discs, my old DVD collection is testament to that).

Nintendo's next console will probably also be a hybrid, so you can rest a little easier. For now.

In terms of how they'd do it, I feel like a Nintendo Account would make the most sense, since most people will probably use their same account for their new console. Except for children who forget their passwords.

Also, I swear your icons keep getting weirder by the day. That's not an insult by the way, I'm a big fan of how much mileage you get out of that singular Poomba image XD

Edited on by HotGoomba

TSR3

@Slowdive Welcome back to the thread! And thanks for sharing this analysis. Wow, that raw materials and supplies figure is MASSIVE
IIRC Nintendo had made previous announcements about not being able to meet their earlier projections for sales this year due to supply issues. Either they were being unduly pessimistic, or they're building up their war chest.

TSR3

TSR3

@Slowdive Do you think ray tracing video could actually make it as a feature in the next model? I'd read sometime ago that there weren't enough RT cores (in Orin) to make it powerful enough for modern RT games, but that RT audio was an option. Not that I expect the next model to use Orin, just something a bit similar.

TSR3

TSR3

@Slowdive So that's somewhere between half and three-quarters the performance of an RTX3050 laptop GPU (depending on clock rate)?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_30_series#GeForce_30_(3...
That's seems better than what I originally read, which was before the Lapsus$ leak anyway. But I guess the final config will be dependant on the all critical battery life. Maybe docked only RT in the end?

TSR3

BruceCM

You can play the vast majority of PS4 games on PS5, @Fizza ... A lot of the games that have upgrades have them free, too
Assuming Nintendo sticks with the hybrid next time, which certainly seems highly likely (as otherwise they'll have no handheld for that generation), it's almost certain it'd still be cartridge & probably BC

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

SwitchForce

BruceCM wrote:

You can play the vast majority of PS4 games on PS5, @Fizza ... A lot of the games that have upgrades have them free, too
Assuming Nintendo sticks with the hybrid next time, which certainly seems highly likely (as otherwise they'll have no handheld for that generation), it's almost certain it'd still be cartridge & probably BC

I doubt they will give up on the Hybrid Gaming Console it's a winner for them. And the Cart factor aren't just small-rumor mentions they have 16, 32, 64, and maybe even 128gb carts. So it can be done those are ssd chipsets so why would one think they couldn't do that.

Edited on by SwitchForce

SwitchForce

Swordfighter

@TSR3

Is there a chance that Nintendo’s next console will use an SSD like it uses e.g. Steam Deck

Swordfighter

TSR3

@Swordfighter There aren't any rumours or leaks about the next Nintendo models storage that I'm aware of, just speculation (i.e. early March on this thread, if you jump back four pages). The base model Steam Deck uses a 64 gb eMMC for storage, the same as the current OLED model Switch

TSR3

skywake

Fizza wrote:

could only really see it if the next console still uses cartridges (I hope to god it does because cartridges are far more durable and less prone to getting ruined than discs, my old DVD collection is testament to that).

We're at the point now where the storage advantage of optical media vs cartridges has largely evaporated. The only reason to use optical media is for content where file sizes are huge and transfer rates are not an issue (i.e. movies and content where you're not running from the disc) or where you're using it for legacy reasons (i.e. backwards compatibility, legacy media)

A console which has no requirement for legacy optical media support, will likely have internal storage constraints to a degree AND is portable so has power/durability constraints? No way you'd go optical at this point. There's just no reason for it. That ship has sailed

Swordfighter wrote:

Is there a chance that Nintendo’s next console will use an SSD like it uses e.g. Steam Deck

You know, it depends on what we mean by "SSD". If you mean flash storage then definitely, because they're not going to put a mechanical HDD in the thing. Small HDDs are no longer a thing and sub 1TB SSDs are cheaper than 2.5" mechanical drives. If you mean reasonably fast flash then how fast is reasonable? It'll probably be faster than the Switch or Wii U had because that's just where flash has gone. If you mean will it have 100GB+ then, again, probably yes given the current prices

But if you mean will it have a DRAM cache, controller and be competitive with the sort of speeds you can get at the bleeding edge of flash? Probably not. But the limiting factor there is probably more likely going to be the power requirements of that rate/gen of PCIe those sort of speeds demand. It will have power constraints, given Nintendo's history probably more than the Steam Deck which itself is a relatively power limited device

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Mioaionios

@Slowdive
Alright, thanks.

This new model would have to be a substantial upgrade for me to invest in one.
Money's tight these days with the inflation and what-not.

Mioaionios

Mioaionios

@Slowdive
Sigh... if that means I'll be able to play the Xenoblade games in 1080p on handheld, I guess I HAVE to upgrade, won't I? 😅

Mioaionios

skywake

Slowdive wrote:

From China: an upgraded Switch model is currently in production, and is indeed Orin based.

The google translate is.... interesting....

OP: The news came from an acquaintance's uncle, and the news was confirmed twice.

Reply: 😇 I believed it because Bloomberg didn’t say it this time

OP: Orin, the same generation architecture of the 30 series graphics card
Reply: It can't be Orin, that thing is this year's new chip, the main use is computing rather than display, and the power price is too high. Everything that had a dev kit last year was Xavier by price point and Nintendo's history.
OP: not tall
Reply: Soc minimum 15W+$399 is not high
OP: The tx1 dev kit is also more than 399$
Reply: Orin 399 is not a Dev kit (1099) but a wholesale price of production 1000+
OP: Tegra has always been at this price, tx1 is more expensive than switch, obviously Nintendo is not getting the goods at that price.
Reply: Tx1 is the dev kit 2017, which was reduced to 199 production 129, which is why the price of Xavier was cut in half to about 199 after Orin was released, which is probably in line with a 449 switch pro.
OP: wait and see
Reply: Well, it's probably about the same performance as the steam deck.
OP: Inconsistency. xavier is too far behind the steam deck

I'm expecting "acquaintance's uncle" is a joke in tone that's lost in translation here

But yeah, it's no secret they're ramping up ready for production of something now. And they've been building up supplies ready for that for the last year or so. Odds are we'll find out what it is soon enough

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic