Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Rumor and Speculation Thread

Posts 1,881 to 1,900 of 4,146

FroZtedFlake

@Grumblevolcano Yeah that's what I'm expecting of it, I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually does get pretty stacked
@TSR3 I saw it while online, I can try and find it again but it was a big "grain of salt" list

Games I'm playing right now:
Tears of the Kingdom - Switch

Kingdom Hearts 2 - PS4
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Switch

TSR3

@FullmetalAlchemist I wouldn't say "obviously". It could be for the next model of Nvidia's Shield set-top-box, or even more likely further down the line for Arm based laptops/desktops using a future CPU from Nvidia. It's probably a bit late in the day to hire a tools developer for a console likely to start production within a few months.

Edit the LinkIn ad does specify 'Game Consoles', so probably not Arm based laptops/desktops then!

Edited on by TSR3

TSR3

BruceCM

& not PS or XBox, @TSR3 .... So, it certainly seems to be linked to a Switch successor

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

StarPoint

Definitely seems to be Switch-related. PS and Xbox both use AMD ARM CPUs, which pretty much just leaves Switch on the table, at least in terms of notable consoles.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

skywake

StarPoint wrote:

Definitely seems to be Switch-related. PS and Xbox both use AMD ARM CPUs, which pretty much just leaves Switch on the table, at least in terms of notable consoles.

Correction, they use AMD x86 APUs. Specifically AMD Ryzen Zen 2/RDNA 2 combo GPU/CPUs, same as the Steam Deck. While Nintendo uses ARM Cortex CPUs. Specifically Cortex A57/53 + Maxwell Tegra packages and will likely move on to Ampere or something above that when they do their next hardware refresh

But yeah, Nintendo are the only "console" who has Nvidia hardware and will likely remain so for a while. Microsoft and Sony are only really just starting this "hardware cycle". Valve is not going to have any interest in Nvidia given their reputation in regards to open source driver support. Apple if they take a spin would want to use their own silicon. Any other of the likely players? Would think they'd be going for "cloud" gaming not physical hardware (eg Amazon, Google)

With that said, I don't think this job ad means much of anything. This would be a full time position and you'd expect this person to be on the payroll for a while. Them hiring for this specifically? Sure, it means that currently they're doing low-level driver development for Nintendo hardware. Which tells us that the partnership is still ongoing. But it tells us nothing about next-Switch given this role will always exist as long as the partnership does

Development does not stop on release day

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

StarPoint

@skywake Oops, you're right. I get them mixed up. But it does still apply.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

BruceCM

Well, it does at least suggest Nvidia plan to carry on doing Switch chips for awhile, @skywake .... & This might well be in time for starting to make whatever the successor will have, I suppose

SW-4357-9287-0699

TSR3

While it may not be a "notable" console, Nividia's Shield had been an early source of leaks in the past, such as the first news about the Mariko SoC. But back to the job ad, I wonder if it's a hint that Nintendo maybe changing the graphics drivers model for the Switch, maybe to help with backwards compatibility?

TSR3

BruceCM

Or the current person is moving on, one way or another, @TSR3 ....? Or they just need another 1 due to the increased demand?

SW-4357-9287-0699

Madao

I would be really surprised if this was not Nintendo related. I am not sure if NVidia would refer to Shield as a console. They have experimented in the past with all sorts of devices, so you can never be certain of course, but the timing of it is interesting.

We have:

• NVidia making tools for a console (probably indicates that whatever it is, it is finalised)
  • Nintendo talking more about a new console than they did before
  • Zelda being delayed to next year while Nintendo mentions how they don't want another WiiU (so what better way to avoid that than repeating your successful Switch launch strategy?)
  • Switch showing its age every year more and more. Support of 3rd party games also being reduced due to the new gen.

Edited on by Madao

Madao

skywake

To be clear I think the writing is on the wall, has been my view for almost a year now. I just don't think this job listing says much of anything. At most it's another item to add to an already long list

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

TSR3

@BruceCM Yeah, most likely explanations. Not the first ad of it's ilk in the recent past either I think

TSR3

Grumblevolcano

@skywake BotW 2's reappearance at E3 2021 with a 2022 release window felt like the first major signs that weren't rumours. The Zelda cycle would suggest the next mainline Zelda after BotW 2 releases in 2028/2029 of which there's no chance the 2017 Switch would last that long, there'd have to be at the least a GBC style revision. If Nintendo had learned anything from comparing the Wii U era to the Switch era, Zelda would need to be launch window if not launch itself.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jedgamesguy

Please please please put Twilight Princess and Wind Waker on the Switch.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

TSR3

@gcunit Whatever Bloomberg thought they heard in the Q&A with the no comment to new hardware, it doesn't seem to have made the cut for the official English translation ...

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2022/220511_2e.pdf

The closet is Q&A 4 ...
"Q4 The upcoming software titles for the current fiscal year have already been announced to some
extent, and I think one of the major differences from past platforms is that a rich lineup of new
software is still being added to your library, even in the sixth year of Nintendo Switch. Can you
explain the reasons for such a difference? Also, I think that a next-generation game system will
be launched at some point in the future. Historically, newly launched platforms did not always
have a smooth transition from prior generations. Please tell us your thoughts on how you plan
to maneuver to the next generation of hardware.
A4 Furukawa:
We have already announced some software titles that will be released through next spring.
Unlike in the past, even though Nintendo Switch has gone through five years since its launch,
there is still a rich lineup of new titles to be released. The biggest reason for this is that, thanks
to the smooth launch of Nintendo Switch itself, we have been able to concentrate our
development resources on one platform. On the other hand, looking back on past experiences
of generational change such as the change from the Wii and Nintendo DS eras, we recognize
that one of our tasks is ensuring the transition to future generations of hardware is as smooth
as possible. To that end, we are focusing on building long-term relationships with our
consumers (through Nintendo Accounts). While continuing to release new Nintendo Switch
software for consumers to enjoy, we aim to maintain relationships across hardware generations
through services that utilize Nintendo Accounts and by providing opportunities for them to
experience our IP through other non-gaming channels."

There's not any new information as such in Furukawa's answer, but nothing to match Bloomberg's reporting of 'declined to comment'. Definitely a point to the Bloomberg sceptics out there

TSR3

BruceCM

Well, such companies are often taking on people, @TSR3 .... Just like other companies do, really, only it's not as interesting

SW-4357-9287-0699

NinChocolate

Coming up soon on what would have been E3 season, anyone dig up any rumors lately? I imagine some will crop up soon if not..

NinChocolate

TSR3

@NinChocolate I haven't seen many. A couple of channels are re-heating the 1-2 Switch 2 rumour that Nate the Hate leaked earlier this year. And IIRC SpawnWave dropped a rumour about a sequel to Astral Chain, but not for announcement this June.

TSR3

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic