Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Rumor and Speculation Thread

Posts 1,041 to 1,060 of 4,146

skywake

sixrings wrote:

that’s (XBox Series) a generational leap mainly because of the ssd

I don't think you quite got where I was going TBH. You can have "generational leaps" without a "change in platform". To be fair to the argument that the XBox Series is a generational leap? Giving the GPU direct access to very fast storage rather than going through the CPU has the potential to dramatically improve load times. Which could result in content that can't really run on the older hardware, it's a pretty dramatic shift in how the game runs. So you're correct to point out the SSD is potentially enough to call it a "next gen console"

But in the traditional sense, these aren't new consoles in the same way previous new consoles were. We're not going from PPC to x86 or MIPS to PPC. We're not going from DVD based media to BluRay based media, optical media to cartridge or visa versa. We're very likely not even going from one control scheme to something radically different. We're talking Tegra to newer Tegra. 1.5x, 2x, hell even if it was 10x faster, I don't see how they need to "change platform" for that.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Haruki_NLI

@skywake The only issue with this solid idea of rolling systems is eventually, barring some long overdue things in tech occurring, the Switch will eventually be bottlenecked by the laws of physics.

Eventually Nvidia will have the fabrication as low as it can go. It will be the most power efficient chip they can make. But look at modern gaming laptops with 30 series cards built on 7nm in them. They last an hour.

Either an eventual Switch will need a huge battery, battery tech finally evolves, or the end of the line Tegra chips are the coolest running most power efficient chips ever created.

Granted that seems to be around 15-20 years away at least.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

GrailUK

@Haruki_NLI Wish my issues were 15-20 years away hahaha!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Balta666

@skywake a similar conversation was happening prior to switch launch where everyone was saying the chip had to be Pascal because Maxwell was already old technology but Nintendo went with it because they don't loose money on the consoles like Sony and Microsoft do. I am not saying that it will definitely stick with 16nm but a jump to 8nm looks like a very expensive one to me

Grumblevolcano

@Slowdive Interesting, Furukawa literally confirms the existence of the model rather than the usual vague non-answer approach Nintendo usually uses with regards to rumours.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Grumblevolcano

@Balta666 I was meaning in the sense that for example in 2019 when there were all those "Switch Mini" rumours with similar levels of confirmation of a new model coming that year, Nintendo didn't straight out confirm the existence of a new Switch model but rather used vague non-answers like this:

“We acknowledge that there have been reports [about this]. Answering to rumours and speculations would end up stealing surprises from our customers and also be unprofitable to all of our shareholders, so we have no answer to that. As a general theory, we are always performing development of new hardware.”

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/06/nintendo_acknowledg...

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

@Haruki_NLI
Hitting the limits of Moore's Law has been something people have been talking about for at least the last 20 years. You talk about high end laptops with batteries lasting an hour that are at the bleeding edge in terms of visuals. I remember at UNI, which is a depressingly long time ago, having friends with high end Dells with batteries that would barely last an hour as you describe when Oblivion was the impressive game to run.......

I don't think the potential of Moore's Law hitting a brick wall is a particular concern for Nintendo in the medium term. There's still some room to go, especially when there are already SoCs on the market that go well beyond what the current Switch can already with the same power draw.

@Balta666
The thing is, when the Switch launched the two SoCs they could've gone with were the X1 and X2. They went with the X1 which was at the time 20nm rather than the newer X2 which was on 16nm. They then got an X1 refresh which was 16nm. Not the question is Xavier (probably 12nm) or Orin (presumably 8nm). I mean it's similar to last time for sure but.... I don't think it's quite as unrealistic a jump as you're making out

@Slowdive
Untitled

Edited on by skywake

Haruki_NLI

@skywake This is true, but there will inevitably be a limit. There will come a time that fabrication can't be any more efficient short of quantum computing. A chip can only be so small and use so little power. What happens then?

In the medium term yeah it doesn't matter, and Nintendo was very smart not chasing the power ceiling because it gives them longer to get to the point Xbox and Sony are at, where diminishing returns are so great they are selling loading times as the improvement over visuals this time.

So give it 40 years 😂

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

TSR3

@Slowdive So I take it kopite means Lovelace (Ada) is more like a revision of Ampere? Is there any idea how powerful Orin is compared to any of the earlier Tegras?

TSR3

GrailUK

Is it out yet? I'm not entirely sure what it is...but I want one! Hahah.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

jedgamesguy

It can run Crysis, how much more powerful can you get?!

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

TSR3

@Slowdive But will it run Cyberpunk 2077? 😜

Edited on by TSR3

TSR3

Zeldafan79

Rumor: New PS5 model coming in september or october with announcement soon, New Uncharted on the way this year

See i can spread rumors too! PS5 Pro confirmed!

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

skywake

Zeldafan79 wrote:

Rumor: New PS5 model coming in september or october with announcement soon, New Uncharted on the way this year. See i can spread rumors too! PS5 Pro confirmed!

1. The PS5 uses basically the most recent GPU/CPU architectures from AMD. There has been a new CPU micro-architecture from AMD since release but games aren't really CPU bound anymore. At least not at the PS5/XB-Series tier. A PS5 Pro this year? It wouldn't really be much of an improvement even if it was a thing.

2. The PS5 comes with 16GB of RAM (well 16.5GB) and a 800GB high performance SSD. The Switch has 4GB of RAM and 32GB of what's effectively a soldered SD card. There is a LOT of room for the Switch to move here even within its pricepoint, the PS5? Not so much.

3. You joke about an Uncharted game coming out this year in your attempt to make these Switch Pro leaks look made up. That's an odd choice in this particular thread. The thread title is "and new Metroid on the way this year" and the first post says this:

That actually isn’t all from Rogers, who also indicated that a new Metroid game will be released this year. There’s been speculation about a new 2D entry planned for the system. MercurySteam, who developed Metroid: Samus Returns for 3DS, could be leading development.

Do we not remember that there IS a 2D Metroid coming out this year that is being developed by MercurySteam? I mean you're dismissing the rumour and mocking the title, half of the title is confirmed to be accurate to the point where you could not have predicted it

Edited on by Eel

CANOEberry

@skywake This message is not directed at you personally, Racing Bowser, and I'm not upset with anyone. I haven't looked in on this stuff for a bit, and certainly I'm not going to be the one to shut down a rumour-mongering thread, since people consider it... "fun". I would like to ask those posting here, however: don't people take account of losses as well as wins?

A few weeks ago, there was so much insistence from some people that the New Nintendo Big Boy Max Pass Switch Plus would be announced within days - before E3, before an expo Nintendo had committed to - to give just one example of a prominent loss. I won't even trouble to explain the obvious problems with that notion, which - if we are going to be honest with ourselves - was driven purely by impatience. I do think that observing Nintendo's business and development strategy actually is interesting (for many reasons), and that people can learn something from it, but I don't feel like this is happening for some of us at all.

Lest anyone be tempted to give me the old "Begone, furball!", please note - I'm not saying that anyone is definitely incorrect about this or that current rumour, or that I am generally more correct. There is no science of rumours, except maybe psychology. Personally, I never believed in the Switch Lite stuff until it was presented, mainly because the idea of a non-switchable tablet seemed like a non-starter (and it still does, to me). I find Nintendo quite unpredictable, which is part of the "fun", right? I am simply saying that this chaining-along of rumours, with slight updates and modifications made after each miss, strikes me as anxious and grasping behaviour. And that doesn't sound "fun" to me...

EDITED for my bad grammar.

Edited on by CANOEberry

CANOEberry

rallydefault

@COVIDberry
Hrm... well, I would just say you have a different definition of fun than some of us. That's all. I love hearing the latest rumors, whether they're part of a "chain" or not. And my basic outlook on life is to remember my hits moreso than my misses, so no, I don't like to keep tallies of every time I or someone/something else is wrong. Sounds like a depressing way to live life.

rallydefault

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic