Forums

Topic: New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe

Posts 121 to 140 of 260

Anti-Matter

@Trajan
I have played New Super Mario Bros 2 on 3DS, but have never tried the Wii U version.
From the reviews i got and from my perspective, i recommend New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe for your New 2D Mario games.
Also, i'm planning to get this game, but not Day One due to my priority on other Switch & Japanese 3DS games.

Anti-Matter

veeflames

Yosheel wrote:

It's kinda sad that none of the games continued the trend of including multiplayer minigames in the style of NSMB/SM64DS.

Not entirely related, but Mario vs. Luigi was my jam back in the day. I played too much of it and beat pretty much anyone I played with. Even with the RNG there was still a lot of depth and strategy at play. It's a shame that it was never seen again after NSMB.

Mario vs. Luigi needs to come back. Maybe it could be part of the new Mario Maker game, where players can even create their own multiplayer levels.

Edited on by veeflames

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Grumblevolcano

I think Mario Maker 2 will come in September 2020 (35th anniversary of SMB) and so porting NSMBU is an easy way to get 2D Mario onto the Switch before then.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MarioVillager92

@ReaderRagfish The Switch's touch screen could work, maybe Nintendo would have the game come with a stylus that's built especially for it. Pointing at the screen with the joy-cons would work too

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

FragRed

@MarioLover92 That stylus is gonna cost you an extra £20/$20 if going by Nintendo Logic ;P

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

JaxonH

My thoughts.

Mario Maker is fantastic and I do want to see it, but it will never, ever replace 2D Mario games. Its great for creative minds, great for having some fun in community levels, but you're not gonna get that trademark expert design level after level, world after world. Doubt you'll even encounger 1 single stage good enough to rival Nintendo released Mario games and if you by chance do, it'll likely be too hard to beat anyways.

The two are separate entities and one cannot supplant the other. I would be furious if we got no 2D Mario thanks to Mario Maker.

As for NSMBU, the only complaint Ive ever heard leveled against it is how similar it is to previous games in the series. Never that it's not a great game. And it is a great game. One of the best 2D platformers I've ever played.

Unless you're running a marathon of all 4 games in the series back to back it shouldn't be an issue. And New Super Luigi U really breaks from the mold a bit with slightly different mechanics and harder stages.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Sisilly_G

@JaxonH : That's right. There are far too many novelty or flat-out bad/frustrating levels for Mario Maker to be the benchmark of the series going forward.

In fact, the main draw for me was to be able to make my own levels and play the supplied levels by Nintendo. I have little to no internet in playing strangers' levels.

Having played my physical copy of Mutant Mudds made me appreciate how important good level design is, and for the most part, the levels in Mutant Mudds are very well designed indeed. I have already played the games on 3DS back in the day, but it has been nice experiencing them again in HD (and the HD rumble is surprisingly great).

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Eel

I liked the single player content they added to the 3DS version of Mario Maker. It felt like a legit full 2D Mario game.

Though it doesn't really make up for the fact they killed the online aspects of the game for no reason.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

bluemage1989

If a Mario Maker sequel had the ability to link levels with campaign maps with customization, the ability to put even basic scenes between areas to give some story, a few more features like slopes and some preloaded levels made by developers and I'd be a lot more interested than I was in the original.

With all of the 8/16 bit platformers on the eshop I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't released an enhanced 8/16bit style 2d Mario.

bluemage1989

toiletduck

bluemage1989 wrote:

With all of the 8/16 bit platformers on the eshop I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't released an enhanced 8/16bit style 2d Mario.

I think that's exactly why: to leave some space for Indies in that genre.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

1UP_MARIO

@Yosheel yea it was great and some of the challenges were hard.
Mario Maker Wii u had more online game
Mario Maker 3ds has more single player content.
I hope we really get a mario maker switch with more single player content as well as online. Easily the best game on the Wii u and a game that should of come early in the Wii u life cycle

Love it
Untitledfree photos upload

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

bluemage1989

@toiletduck On the same logic will we not see a 2D Metroid so as not to sabotage metroidvanias?? I think the 8/16bit platfromer is already pretty crowded one more title from Nintendo isn't going to do any harm.

bluemage1989

Euler

Mario Maker has plenty of good levels. It has plenty of garbage, yes, but there is no shortage of levels that would make Miyamoto proud. Both versions also contain a good number of Nintendo-designed courses to play through (the Bowser ones are very well-done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl2fO6cZxyw ). I'd say that Expert will probably give you the most bang for your buck. Troll and especially Kaizo levels are rare (much moreso than Super Expert), but automatic levels are as well if you're not into that.

I don't really see it happening on the Switch. Mario Maker would have been the perfect game to launch alongside the online service, yet they didn't do so. Instead, they're adding a subscription fee without doing much to soften the blow. You're now paying money for something you used to get for free. A Mario Maker Switch would also have at least two major problems:

1. What to do about the touch screen/docked mode. I think adding a stylus would be a trivial problem, but an E ticket game that's only functional in one mode when the Switch is used as a home console doesn't really fly.

2. What to do about all the courses people have already made on the Wii U version. Do they get scrapped and we have to start over? Is the Switch version just a direct port and therefore compatible with the Wii U version (using the same servers)? Do they add new features/course elements to the game but make them available to everyone?

Overall I think Super Mario Maker was better suited for the Wii U (and 3DS) than for the Switch. In an alternate universe it was a launch title for the Wii U, everyone bought it, and now everyone is talking about how the tablet controller was such a brilliant innovation with Sony and Microsoft to copy it in their next home consoles.

Edited on by Euler

Euler

SpaceMonkey86

I never played this on Wii U. I played the DS & 3DS NEW Super Mario Bros games. Loved both of them. Can't wait to get this new one.

SpaceMonkey86

toiletduck

The 3DS version of Mario Maker really sucks imho. The single player 'campaign' is enjoyable, but more as showcase of possibilities than as a real campaign. It lacks the story and cohesion regular 2D Mario games provide. Since there's no possibility to decently find good levels, you're playing through garbage 98% of the time. I don't really fancy creating levels for myself and I don't have any friends to share levels with, so the game is pretty much pointless for me. When I bought it, I thought you could share levels in communities, on 'best of' websites, et cetera. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Atariboy

Wish this had New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

I'm happy with NSMBU and NSLU on my Wii U and won't be upgrading. But a HD port or emulation of the Wii game without forced waggle would've been enough of an incentive for me to grab this package.

Atariboy

Cobalt

@Korosanbo

Super Mario 3D World
Tokyo Mirage Session
Pikmin 3
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Paper Mario Color Splash
StarFox Zero
Super Mario Maker
Zombi U
Yoshi's Wooly World