Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 3,081 to 3,100 of 3,115

Northwind

PSA: Sinnoh-cap Pikachu is now available. Code is V0LTTACKLEP1KA. (NOTE: I’m being told it does not come knowing Volt Tackle.) Code is good through 30 November.

Autocorrect keeps causing me to write things I didn't Nintendo.

My Nintendo: Northwind | Twitter:

Tendo64

Can anyone advise whether or not it's worth owning both Sword and Shield, or is the difference very minor?

I finished Sword earlier this year and really enjoyed it, and have been contemplating getting Shield. I get that there's some different Pokemon across both games, but by and large, is it really much different?

Tendo64

Octane

@Tendo64 99% of the game is the same. It's not worth it. You can easily get the missing Pokemon by trading online.

Octane

Silly_G

Tendo64 wrote:

Can anyone advise whether or not it's worth owning both Sword and Shield, or is the difference very minor?

There have only ever been very minor differences between the two versions of the main series of Pokémon games, and this usually involves the legendary Pokémon on the cover, and some variance in which Pokémon can be found in the wild. Unless you're an absolute diehard fan and want to play the game again with slight differences, then it isn't worth it for the majority of players, and I say this as a sucker that buys both versions.

You can trade locally or online for whichever Pokémon you are missing (Pokémon GO + Pokémon Bank, as well as either of the Let's Go games can also help).

If you own the physical edition of Sword and haven't yet bought the DLC, then perhaps you may wish to consider grabbing the physical version of Shield + Expansion Pass that is coming out next month, which will contain the Shield-exclusive content as well as the complete DLC content on a single cartridge, but otherwise, it is absolutely not worth buying Shield on its own.

Edited on by Silly_G

An affiliate link to a Link in need is an affiliate Link indeed.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Eel

I'd recommend getting just one.

The new dlc bundle they're releasing would be the perfect excuse for some who got one version early to get the other one though.

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Northwind

KAL0SP1KA

Autocorrect keeps causing me to write things I didn't Nintendo.

My Nintendo: Northwind | Twitter:

JokerCK

I need Heracross, Skrelp, Kingdra, Igglypuff and Zarude. I also need trade and take back my Porygon for evolutions. Do you have more of these Pokemon I wrote and can anyone help me? My friend code is SW-8426-9616-3693.

JokerCK

crashcontrol

So the dlc releases tomorrow!
What are your expectations?

Inkling, Joker and Sonic main in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

My favourite villager in ACNH is Phoebe

I speedrun Sonic Mania Plus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7941- 0589-4299

Switch Username: KyleRenSM

PSN: crashcontrol

Eel

Turns out Calyrex is actually the Harvest Goddess and this is a Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons plot.

Anyone else enjoying the new raids?

Zygarde is like, the hardest thing in the game, even with actual people playing we've lost three times to it.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

AndyD

I am enjoying this with the kids. I have my sword account and they have their shield accounts. The raids are great, and the opportunity for me to get all the legendaries for a change is great since I missed a lot during the early years.

Is there a raid topic in the forums for group raids since we can do the dynamax adventures now with friends online? I would love to help organize some raid groups.

Edited on by AndyD

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog
Switch:Minecraft Dungeons,Borderlands 2,ACNH

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Dark_Magician

Love the DLC! The legendaries some times won't get into the Pokeball though

Mancer_X

AndyD

@Dark_Magician are you referring to the overworld ones, if so I used a good 30 ultra balls on several of them. The catch rate was altered it seems to not make it quite as easy. of course the dynamax adventure catch rate is 100 percent.

Edited on by AndyD

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog
Switch:Minecraft Dungeons,Borderlands 2,ACNH

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Eel

Legendary pokemon are simply that hard to catch normally.

... When the story doesn't depend on you catching them, of course. Main-story legendaries usually get their catch rate modified to be easier to catch.

Optional ones though, retain their low catch rates.

The dynamax adventures ones are different of course, since the challenge is actually getting to defeat them. You don't necessary want to keep them once you catch them.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

Eel

@AndyD you can only catch one of each species, it’s not super necessary to worry about things like natures and IVs, since you can modify those with items later, buuuut if you’re not convinced by the nature and stats of the one you just caught, you can simply chose to not keep it, and you’ll be able to catch it again later.

You can also go for a shiny this way.

On that subject, shiny Pokémon in these adventures are secret, you won’t know if they’re shiny until the results screen. So it’s entirely possible for one of the regular Pokémon you caught along the way to be shiny, in which case you may prefer to keep those instead of the legendary.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

Grumblevolcano

I like there's a lot of Gen 3 additions in this batch (my favourite gen).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DarthNocturnal

Even all three Heonn starters are available, from what I'm seeing. It's probably my favorite starter group.

I'm also glad they added Garchomp's line... but, not glad they are Shield-only. A relatively minor hurdle, but a hurdle all the same.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

DarkRula

I'm liking the verticality to the world and how it looks a bit more natural. Seems Game Freak have got further with their experiments of world design with an unlocked camera as well, considering the major cave we have here is a bit more complex than that of those in the Isle of Armor (and there's a million Zubat around, so can we can really feel what it's like to run into them). From exploring these maps, I am confident that maybe generation nine is where things will really pick up in terms of an entire region with an unlocked camera.

For the quests, I went in reverse order, so caught the Kanto birds first. All the Regis are caught, so I'm starting the first one now. And already feel like I'm missing out on something with it.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

Eel

I went directly to Calyrex and had fun with that. Will do the others once I beat the main story in this file.

My main file is stuck at home on my original switch. When we return home, I'll take the chance to catch the other choice-based exclusives.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic