Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 9,481 to 9,500 of 10,112

GrailUK

@skywake Ring Fit says hi.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

RR529

skywake wrote:

GrailUK wrote:

my gut tells me it (wave race) will feature in a Switch Sports type deal.

Speaking of, does anyone else think it's weird that Nintendo hasn't done some kind of "Switch Sports" title yet? Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort were huge obviously. And then Wii Sports Club on the Wii U was a bit of an afterthought even for Wii U. Then just nothing at all. Seems like such an easy win, I don't know why they haven't done it yet.

I think that's likely the reason they published Go Vacation!, to fill that void. Plus, they included bowling in Clubhouse Games, and of course have new Mario Tennis & Mario Golf games (the latter of which was absent on Wii & Wii U), so that pretty much covers most of the most popular sports in the Wii Sports lineup.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

kkslider5552000

I assume because the people that made Wii Sports aren't making Wii Sports is why there hasn't been a sport game like Wii Sports.

Also because Wii Sports Club bombed, but that's mostly because Nintendo were idiots who didn't promote an online HD remaster of literally their most popular game.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

skywake

I get that they've done Mario Tennis/Golf and yeah Clubhouse Games and Ring Fit adventure exist. There was also 1-2 Switch which kinda lived in the Wii-Series style of game, a bit more Wii Play than Wii Sports but still. I was going to mention them in my post but I'm trying to be a little less long winded.

Problem is, these things aren't really a substitute for what Wii Sports was. Clubhouse games has pool and bowling but it's a bit more or a handheld game than a TV game. I had high hopes for bowling and it's ok I guess, but it's clear Wii Sports bowling wasn't what they were trying to emulate. And Ring Fit Adventure, as much as I like it, it very much a single player game.

There isn't really anything on the Switch that kinda captures what Wii Sports did. And by that I mean a cross-generational and easy to approach multiplayer game where "gaming skill" isn't the thing that decides who wins. The closest we have to that on Switch are those Jackbox Party style games.

Some Aussie musics: Pond, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Euler

@skywake I think the Wii was more of a natural fit on a system that had motion controls as its main gimmick, as sort of a tech demo (which was followed by Play, Music, Fit, and the rest of the Wii family of games). There's no obvious parallel with the Switch, so the series is effectively dead (though Miis remain an optional part of several games).

Euler

StuTwo

I don't think we've seen the last of Wii Sports.

It's the kind of thing that Nintendo will pull out one year when they've got nothing else to show, like "hey look, this year Sony has five AAA cinematic experiences that look better than films, Microsoft has Halo and fifteen RPGs that can let you be literally any fantasy character you can possibly imagine but we have... Wii Sports - it's a perfect replica of the game you played in 2007! Literally exactly the same! We'll even throw in a CD soundtrack that includes the Wii Shop channel music (yes we know it's 202x and you don't own a CD player)!!!". Then everyone goes wild for it and you can't buy a copy for love nor money - just like the NES Classic.

The nostalgia attached to Wii Sports alone, completely aside from the fact that it's a genuinely great game that always catches new players by surprise, means that it'll always resurface into the popular culture every 10-20 years.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

kkslider5552000

StuTwo wrote:

It's the kind of thing that Nintendo will pull out one year when they've got nothing else to show, like "hey look, this year Sony has five AAA cinematic experiences that look better than films

I like how despite your best efforts, this Wii Sports plan is still more interesting than what Sony will apparently do.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Euler

It’s awfully quiet in here. Where are all the Nintendo Switch Pro people?

Euler

BruceCM

They're too depressed to post, @Euler .....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

link3710

@Euler there's two other threads exploding on people yelling at each other about switch pro let's not add a third lol

...I mean, this is basically what I expected, better in some ways (audio and kickstand) worse in others (no small boost in power). It is what it is lol.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Euler

Fair enough. I imagine Reset Era enthusiasts are going to quietly delete all of their old posts (again) as they're prone to do when the leaks don't hold up.

Euler

Screen

@Euler

They all went to the pie shop to eat humble pie.

Color Splash is underrated!

Magician

@Euler

Just waiting for Pro discussions to gain traction again next year. Lots of folks forgetting two models were rumored to be in development, not just the OLED.

Switch Physical Collection - 797 games (as of September 23th, 2021)
Currently playing: Spiritfarer (Switch)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

Giancarlothomaz

@link3710 lo and @Magician , that why you should never believe on rumors/leaks and clickbait You Tubers Sony/Microsoft do this kinda of hardware refresh not Nintendo, denial the first stage of gaming, Nate Drake again putting fuel for this Switch Pro rumors, acept the Switch Pro is not real e stop with this nonsense.

Edited on by Giancarlothomaz

i like HD Rumble.

NintendoByNature

Next direct happening when? My best bet is an indie showcase in the next 4-6 weeks followed up by a zelda direct.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

dionysos283

I still got my fingers crossed for a Zelda Direct after the release of Skyward Sword. ūü§ěūüŹľ

dionysos283

Grumblevolcano

I think Indie World in late August followed by a general Direct in early/mid September.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Euler

They already said no Zelda 35th anniversary, so the only thing they have left to tell us more about is Breath of the Wild 2. That might be a bit of a general direct or (more likely) the focus of E3 2022.

Euler

Balta666

@Euler I am not expecting more BotW 2 news this year (most likely we will see more of it in the early 2022 direct if not only at E3) but they should still have at a indies showcase and a september direct this year I assume

Balta666

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic