Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 9,261 to 9,280 of 15,874

skywake

Euler wrote:

Slowdive wrote:

@VoidofLight I don't think folks who work for established media outlets make things up regardless

Hahahahahahahaha... where have you been the past four years? There's a good reason the term "fake news" entered the popular lexicon.

Not to get tooo political but I think it's worth clearing up here that this term has two very different meanings. The original meaning was in reference to troll factories spreading misinformation through social media. Often without any kind of obvious direct source, always without any kind of established media source. These usually had very strong and very obvious political motivations. The second use of the term was a "I know you are but what am I" from certain political figures who disliked what was being reported. Which, is kinda what the media should be doing? Reporting the kinds of things that make political figures uncomfortable? But that's another discussion for another forum.

In the case of Switch leaks obviously 4Chan is the troll factory, we shouldn't believe what comes out of 4chan. The likes of Bloomberg and Eurogamer are the established media organisations. So personally I'll take the view that people painting Bloomberg and Eurogamer with the same brush as 4chan are only doing so because they dislike what is being reported. Not saying all established media is always correct, it never was, but painting them with the same brush as 4chan is in my view is a bit much......

MarioBrickLayer wrote:

@skywake I suppose you overlap to a degree, if you had the concept and story, art etc done before you released the port you could half that timeline. I would hope they are planning out some of these franchises over multiple years, they could start work on a battalion wars port and a new game in parallel.

Maybe it's just the perspective I'm coming from but the way I see it I would expect that actual development is the bottleneck for game development. If you already have a story, game mechanics and other assets you can reference? You're right, that would cut down some of the effort on that side of the gannt chart. But a lot of these processes would run in parallel.

For example lets think of Link's Awakening HD and what they probably could have skipped in development vs A Link Between Worlds. Not a whole lot I would've thought. I mean they would have already have the story and localisation basically done but those things don't really hold up people working on the look, sound and mechanics of the game. They would have already had the soundtrack written but it still would need to be re-arranged and re-recorded. They would have had the look of the world and characters down but they would still have to recreate them from scratch as high res 3D models. None of which can be re-used for future remasters. So really, at the end of the day, it wouldn't have really saved them much time. It is just an exercise in easier marketing and reducing risk.

But HD remasters of Wii and GC titles? They can pretty much re-use all of the assets. The effort would be mostly in getting the Wii/GC code running on the Switch either through emulation or porting it. Once they have that? It's just a matter of improving textures & models (or even not doing that), replacing HUD elements and changing the control scheme. And the best bit is once they've done this for one game? They would likely be able to re-use a lot of these tools.

Whether or not Metroid Prime Trilogy is a thing that releases I think we can pretty much guarantee someone at Nintendo has Metroid Prime running on the Switch. But definitely not upto the standard of release, the texture work in Metroid Prime was pretty great by Wii/GC standards but it doesn't really hold up at 1080p. Especially when you're very often in very closed corridors

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

FragRed

@Doofenshmirtz The next Direct is every waking minute of the day and will show Nintendo of Japan employees working on all the games, but from a distance and without sound so we have no idea what they are doing or saying. Then sometimes Miyamoto walks into shot and does some questionable hand gestures at the camera.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

GrailUK

Isn't there a meeting this week or next? Maybe we might get some nuggets of speculation from that?

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

FragRed

@GrailUK Dunno, would that be a quarterly results meeting? Didn't we just have one not too many weeks ago?

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

GrailUK

@FragRed It's the rather grandiose sounding 'The 81st Annual General Meeting of Shareholders'. So there may be some poor delusional idiot that has like 4 shares in the company and believes that gives them the right to know everything they have planned for new hardware and software hahaha. Dunno.

FragRed

@GrailUK I want to buy shares so I can ask why they haven’t considered sending their designers into space on a week trip to come up with fresh and original out of this world ideas for games going forward.

GrailUK

@FragRed Hahahah!

Anti-Matter

Peoples keep talking about Metroid Dread.
Well... I'm different.
I'm thinking about some upcoming games such Kitaria Fables, Epic Chef, Paw Patrol Movie, etc.

Anti-Matter

VoidofLight

@Anti-Matter all three of those games seem like a waste of time and money. Also, we all know you hate first party AAA games, no need to keep repeating it.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Anti-Matter

@VoidofLight
I will get those three games. 😉
Kitaria Fables is another Indonesian indie game published by PQube, yay from my country. 😀🇮🇩
Epic Chef looked quirky and interesting for a cooking and RPG game, definetely some fresh idea.
Paw Patrol, not gonna lie but i started to get interested by this kids series from Nickelodeon despite i never watch the series from TV Cable.
Definetely not a waste time and money games. In my opinion, smaller games sometimes way more interesting than AAA games.

Anti-Matter

GrailUK

@VoidofLight Hey, different strokes for different folks, innit! Not my particular style and taste, but I wouldn't be rude to shut someone up who enjoys them

jedgamesguy

When was the last time I bought a game based off a movie or television show? Gotta be a Dora the Explorer Mermaid game some thirteen years ago…

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Blooper987

@TheJGG I had that too. It was not good to say the least

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

Euler

skywake wrote:

Euler wrote:

Slowdive wrote:

@VoidofLight I don't think folks who work for established media outlets make things up regardless

Hahahahahahahaha... where have you been the past four years? There's a good reason the term "fake news" entered the popular lexicon.

Not to get tooo political but I think it's worth clearing up here that this term has two very different meanings. The original meaning was in reference to troll factories spreading misinformation through social media. Often without any kind of obvious direct source, always without any kind of established media source. These usually had very strong and very obvious political motivations. The second use of the term was a "I know you are but what am I" from certain political figures who disliked what was being reported. Which, is kinda what the media should be doing? Reporting the kinds of things that make political figures uncomfortable? But that's another discussion for another forum.

In the case of Switch leaks obviously 4Chan is the troll factory, we shouldn't believe what comes out of 4chan. The likes of Bloomberg and Eurogamer are the established media organisations. So personally I'll take the view that people painting Bloomberg and Eurogamer with the same brush as 4chan are only doing so because they dislike what is being reported. Not saying all established media is always correct, it never was, but painting them with the same brush as 4chan is in my view is a bit much......

Yes, the term was first used by the mainstream media when they were looking for excuses for losing the most winnable presidential election in American history (others included Russian hacking, Russian collusion, systemic racism, and the electoral system that has been in place for centuries). It was then repurposed for other uses. And the demagoguery only works because the mainstream media did everything it possibly could to earn the "fake news" label. Some of the greatest hits from the past year include the Lafayette photo op story, the story about how there wouldn't be a COVID-19 vaccine by the end of 2020, the Russian bounties story, spiking the Hunter Biden laptop story because it might hurt their candidate's election prospects (and then bragging about it after the election went their way), and calling anyone who thinks COVID-19 came from a lab in Wuhan a racist conspiracy theorist. So as a result, trust in the media is at an all-time low.

Euler

jedgamesguy

@Blooper987 I had one for Diego as well… they were among my first video games of all…

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

skywake

@Euler
I disagree with your recounting/colouring of said events and I suspect our politics don't line up much at all. So lets leave it at that. All I'll say is that reality doesn't often neatly fit into what's comfortable or convenient. If the world as you see it all fits perfectly into a particular narrative? You're probably missing something

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Anti-Matter

Next Nintendo Direct probably will highlight more things about Pokemon BDSP, more new footage of Pokemon Legend of Arceus. Probably during September 2021.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

@Slowdive
I think it will highlight some upcoming indie games for year 2022 release.

Anti-Matter

VoidofLight

@Anti-Matter They.. usually have Indie directs for that purpose. They usually never go into that in a General direct, and they always usually have General directs in September to announce the games coming out the following year.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic