Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 9,241 to 9,260 of 9,412

BongoBongo

@skywake yes - your points are all fair. I was trying to make the point that it should be taken with a grain of salt but didn’t use the best reason why.

If this is true then surely there needs to be a flagship game released same time (or shorty after) to encourage people to get it - otherwise the only reason I need a new switch right now is I wouldn’t mind slightly better battery life (as I have the original switch). Zelda would be the obvious choice if ready but could it be something else we have not yet heard about?

BongoBongo

Balta666

@BongoBongo actually most likely this version would have worst battery life than the current model and more in line with OG as the form factor should not change drastically therefore no bigger battery and the power consumption should increase as well

Edited on by Balta666

Balta666

link3710

@Balta666 Not necessarily. If the chip goes through another die shrink (like the 2019 silent revision), it's quite possible it'll have better battery life on comparable games and settings. Plus, the rumors of it having a less energy using screen would also help.

link3710

skywake

BongoBongo wrote:

If this is true then surely there needs to be a flagship game released same time (or shorty after) to encourage people to get it - otherwise the only reason I need a new switch right now is I wouldn’t mind slightly better battery life (as I have the original switch). Zelda would be the obvious choice if ready but could it be something else we have not yet heard about?

I guess we'll find out soon enough the specifics of the hardware change. But given the change in the landscape since 2017 there are a few very, very likely things. Things I've gone into a bit on other threads already.

OLED is heavily rumoured which, if they go this route, would suggest HDR being part of the picture. There also suggestions of "4K output" on the dock which is basically marketing speak for HDMI 2.0 which also means HDR. So HDR, if I was a gambler I'd put some money on this being a large part of the appeal

Ontop of this we've seen a dramatic drop in the cost of NAND Flash and a dramatic increase in speed. So it wouldn't be much of a stretch for there to be more than 32GB of faster internal storage. Less exciting but something of note, faster load times would definitely be a nice plus.

Others have pointed out a die shrink so lower power consumption. But this could also mean better thermals, higher clocks and higher performance particularly in portable mode. There's also DLSS which basically didn't exist in 2017 but is now pretty mature. This could also give a bit more performance headroom and reduce power consumption.

As for games.... Breath of the Wild 2, Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 don't have dates. We've basically seen nothing from these games. Now I think Metroid Prime 4 is not that game but Breath of the Wild 2 definitely could be. Bayonetta 3 could also push the hardware. If HDR is really the push? You don't even need a powerhouse game. Some game set in space would probably work to push the idea of deep blacks and bright highlights. And it just happens that there's also a 2D Metroid rumoured in this latest batch of leaks.

Just saying.

Edited on by skywake

Some Aussie musics: Pond, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

jump

I find it odd they didn't do a Direct recently, they have announced a couple of new games and have done data dumps for a few already announced games too. Whilst Game Builder Garage being announced or an overview trailer to Mario Golf aren't internet breaking if they had topped it off with the rumoured "Pro" reveal it woud have been Direct worthy whilst not affecting their material they have for a big E3. They could have even included whatever casual games they may have lined up like a new Style Savvy, Fitness Boxing, Clubhouse Games or whatever since showing them off to E3 gamers will just elicit comments of "boring".

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Joe-b

@Slowdive does anyone wish Sonic would just go away? Even as a Sega fan boy from the 80's I think he needs to go. But unfortunately Sega will let their awesome catalog of games just sit there and keep releasing sonic games.

Joe-b

jump

@Joe-b Sonic wasn't around in the 80s ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Balta666

@jump I would say this new president is less keen on the direct format as Twitter and YouTube campaigns work well (but it may be that covid still impacts a lot and it is just that directs are hard to do atm)

Balta666

Balta666

@Joe-b 3d Sonic gameplay can go away but I would buy any new 2d classic ones happily

Balta666

timleon

@Joe-b We've hardly been overloaded with Sonic games recently. The last main-series Sonic game was almost 4 years ago...

Unless you count Sonic 1 and 2 re-releases. Those are definitely overdone.

Edited on by timleon

Previously "Buizel" and "HunterLeon"

Currently playing:
PC: Mass Effect Legendary Edition
Switch: Persona 5 Strikers, Ninja Gaiden Sigma
3DS: Pokemon Gold

kkslider5552000

jump wrote:

I find it odd they didn't do a Direct recently, they have announced a couple of new games and have done data dumps for a few already announced games too. Whilst Game Builder Garage being announced or an overview trailer to Mario Golf aren't internet breaking if they had topped it off with the rumoured "Pro" reveal it woud have been Direct worthy whilst not affecting their material they have for a big E3. They could have even included whatever casual games they may have lined up like a new Style Savvy, Fitness Boxing, Clubhouse Games or whatever since showing them off to E3 gamers will just elicit comments of "boring".

Well stupid people got butthurt at the Direct earlier this year because they hate 90% of good games, so I can't imagine how a much lighter Direct would've been received.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

VoidofLight

@kkslider5552000 It’s more that people had higher expectations. I wouldn’t call something like skyward sword hd a “good game”.

(Insert creative or cool phrase here.)

kkslider5552000

VoidofLight wrote:

It’s more that people had higher expectations. I wouldn’t call something like skyward sword hd a “good game”.

I agree with much of the complaints of how the remake is being sold, but it will still be an excellent game that was surrounded by constant interesting and high quality games. Like even the one that was an actual bad part of the Direct, the EA dodgeball game thing, is apparently really good!

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

NintendoByNature

Still no info on when nintendo is doing their direct huh?

NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

@Slowdive gotcha. Didn't an insider mention nintendo would reveal their plans for e3 this week?

NintendoByNature

WoomyNNYes

@NintendoByNature The insider buzz is that Nintendo will announce the revised switch hardware before E3, so other companies at E3 can reveal their games that are coming to the Switch. E3 is June 12-15. We've got two weeks until then.

Which... makes me think. If this is true, will one or more of these new games from other companies look like they need more power than the current switch has? I mean, if the new games didn't look suspicious, then Nintendo wouldn't have to announce the revised hardware before E3.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Science liker
Extreme bicycle rider
Playing:
BOTW(started a new game)
Rocket League, 3v3 rank: plat 3 - diamond 1

VoidofLight

I'm fully expecting nothing but an e3 direct announcement incoming for the next two weeks.

(Insert creative or cool phrase here.)

link3710

@WoomyNNYes They still would. It'd be a PR nightmare to announce a game for Switch, then have to later reveal it's actually only for a brand new model.

link3710

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic