Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 8,581 to 8,600 of 15,874

kkslider5552000

MarioBrickLayer wrote:

For many people Game Pass would be far more affordable. imagine you're a parent with a 16 year old, you buy them an XBOX with Game Pass and they have access to loads of games, you'd never need to buy them a 60 dollar game. That could attract new people to gaming.

You can now get an XBOX console with no upfront cost with a 24 month game pass subscription from £20 in the UK.

They have already adopted this strategy with one of their biggest products - Office 365.

I don't actually disagree with this. There are plenty of obvious positives for Gamepass and it has been very successful.

MarioBrickLayer wrote:

Microsoft have said Halo Infinite will be available on Game Pass on launch day.
https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/halo-infinite-xbox-game-pass/

Yes, but the key thing is you will be able to buy Halo Infinite on its own. My entire disagreement is based on the idea of taking titles of that caliber and making it so that Gamepass would be the only way to play them.

Can't see them putting all their eggs in one basket.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

VoidofLight

@MarioBrickLayer Again, steaming games is a pretty huge leap from buying Digital, because with Streaming, you don't own the games at all, and they can be taken from you. At least with Digital, you still own it.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Dezzy

Magician wrote:

@Dezzy

Yeah, I think MS is angling hard towards being a service platform, sub numbers are everything.

And how many times has it been discussed how exclusives are important for a platform to thrive?

They're going to have to keep individual game purchases as a concept though, for all the games not on gamepass (not to mention the disc drive on the Series X), so I don't see why they wouldn't keep all of those exclusive games available for sale too.

They've managed quite well so far with both options.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Magician

@VoidofLight

Except Game Pass isn't primarily a streaming service, you download the games.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Dringo

@Magician All I know is I’ve interview Phil Spencer a dozen times in recent years. And he keeps banging on about choice. He keeps talking about gamers playing on the device they choose in the way they choose.

They keep talking about 3 billion gamers. I spoke to Sarah Bond yesterday and Xbox wanting to reach those 3 billion gamers. They have 18m Game Pass subscribers. That’s amazing. But locking away Starfield behind Game Pass, means there are billions of potential gamers locked out.

And you’re talking about a company that just shipped a games console with a disc drive. They know some people will want to buy the disc. They know some gamers don’t have credit cards. They know some places don’t have the bandwidth to download big games.

Xbox won’t be locking games behind Game Pass. It is their focus. But locking stuff away in one platform, one business model, is the anthesis of their strategy. Take it from me.

Dringo

Twitter:

VoidofLight

@Magician Still the same concept though, because you don't even get to keep the games. Once they're removed from the service, they're gone for good, and same if the service gets axed.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

GrailUK

There is no way Gamepass on someone else's closed system is 'win-win'. Stop it. I'm going to expect Master Chief in Smash and go bonkers if it's anything more than that. In the meantime, they get all the publicity of the internet going crazy. And you can't buy that.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

jump

@GrailUK how is it not a win-win?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

GrailUK

@Jump Because software is where the money is. Microsoft worked out the average attach rate and calculated a way of making everyone spend more under the illusion of loads of games. So, how exactly is someone getting a shortcut to getting folk to spend $15 a month for all the games a win for Nintendo? It cuts them off. You really think someone buying a Switch and not buying games is a win? I can't help you if you do.

Edited on by GrailUK

jump

@GrailUK Ninty gamers buy Ninty games so no loss there, they aren’t gonna stop buying Animal Crossing and Mario Kart because of GanePass. Switch offering the AAA games not currently on it provides gamers moving from PS4 and Xbone a different option to their successors to increase the Switch user base for more NSO subs and potential Mario Kart buyers plus they get paid to allow GP on it. Microsoft gets more subscribers which is what their goal is. Win-win.

Saying that it looks unlikely GamePaas is coming to Switch.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

GrailUK

@jump True, it's a moot point. And I get your point with AAA. But then what about all the indies? And selling Switches for folk to buy into a Microsoft eco-system is just bonkers to me. Every Switch sold would be negligable profit and 100's of dollars of no sales. I'm not saying I don't want it to happen, but I bet the talks about it were strained at best. If they can make it work out, then it would be bloody interesting what deal they made. Because Microsoft wins much more than Nintendo does after a few months!

Besides, if the new Switch is as magic tech as the reports claim, having Microsoft funnel AAA when they create a machine capapble of porting them is also insane to me.

Edited on by GrailUK

Grumblevolcano

I'm going back to my Smash focused E3 2021 Direct prediction as I think Nintendo will be very cautious about announcing stuff given the current situation in Japan.

So I think E3 2021 will look something like:

• Start off with a big upcoming yet to be announced 3rd party release
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons big 2.0 update or DLC (either way includes highly wanted content like Brewster)
  • Trailers for some known 3rd party titles like Monster Hunter Stories 2, Monster Hunter Rise, No More Heroes 3 and NEO TWEWY in addition to some unknown 3rd party titles
  • Surprise 1st party port(s) announcement (stuff like XCX or Metroid Prime Trilogy)
  • SMTV trailer (first trailer since last July)
  • Zelda (Age of Calamity DLC and Skyward Sword HD)
  • Coming soon highlight reel (Mario Golf Super Rush appears here much like how ARMS, Mario Tennis Aces and Mario Maker 2 appeared in the E3 2017-2019 highlight reels respectively)
  • Around 30 minutes of Smash Ultimate (revealing the final 2 fighters and any extra content)

Then the new Switch revision and game lineup supporting it like BotW 2 gets announced in September. The rumours about the Microsoft stuff did say the Microsoft stuff would be announced in the fall so a gigantic September Direct sounds about right.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DannyBoi

You know, I just thought Nintendo are charging £50-£60 for Labo. It's just a piece of cardboard😂😂😂!

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

Anti-Matter

@DannyBoi
LABO sold very drastic cheap in Indonesia currently. Maybe around US$15 - 20.
And LABO are not just a piece of cardboard.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

jump

@DannyBoi what’s with the obsession with Labo. It came out 3 years ago and you’re posting about it almost daily now.

Nicolai wrote:

Anti-Matter

@jump
I think dannyboi was really anxious with Direct and upcoming games.
Even there were some Direct revealed, he still keep being anxious.

Anti-Matter

Clyde_Radcliffe

GrailUK wrote:

@jump True, it's a moot point. And I get your point with AAA. But then what about all the indies? And selling Switches for folk to buy into a Microsoft eco-system is just bonkers to me. Every Switch sold would be negligable profit and 100's of dollars of no sales. I'm not saying I don't want it to happen, but I bet the talks about it were strained at best. If they can make it work out, then it would be bloody interesting what deal they made. Because Microsoft wins much more than Nintendo does after a few months!

Besides, if the new Switch is as magic tech as the reports claim, having Microsoft funnel AAA when they create a machine capapble of porting them is also insane to me.

Exactly. Indie games sell extremely well on Switch because they give us lots to play between big Nintendo releases... And Nintendo gets 30% of sales on each title sold. I highly doubt Nintendo would want to wreck that with GamePass...

Clyde_Radcliffe

MarioBrickLayer

Clyde_Radcliffe wrote:

Exactly. Indie games sell extremely well on Switch because they give us lots to play between big Nintendo releases... And Nintendo gets 30% of sales on each title sold. I highly doubt Nintendo would want to wreck that with GamePass...

I think the only way Nintendo would allow it would be for 1st party Microsoft titles only, anything 3rd party which could also be released on the eshop Nintendo won't want, unless Nintendo give them a good cut of the $$$.

MarioBrickLayer

jump

@Clyde_Radcliffe you make it sound like there aren’t indies on Xbox or PC. The cloud model won’t even be picked that many people.

I do find it funny that people are thinking that if Switch has GamePass it will just turn all of the existing Nintendo gamers into Halo and Doom players and will not play anything else ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Clyde_Radcliffe

jump wrote:

@Clyde_Radcliffe you make it sound like there aren’t indies on Xbox or PC. The cloud model won’t even be picked that many people.

Yes and they sell a lot better on Switch than Xbox. Stardew Valley sold as much on Switch as the other two consoles combined. Every time I've seen indie sales percentages Switch is on top and often accounts for 50%+ of their sales.

Clyde_Radcliffe

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic