Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 8,341 to 8,360 of 15,818

DannyBoi

Indie games are a game with a smaller budget, although it can be hard classifying one.

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

Anti-Matter

@Blooper987
If KONAMI is indie, they couldn't even pay the licensed songs for BEMANI games. KONAMI put TOHO Eurobeat songs for DDR A20+ as licensed songs and TOHO Eurobeat songs are not cheap. Also, KONAMI still extending the contract with 11 years old licensed songs since from DDR X2 on year 2010 (Only my Railgun, Resonance)

Anti-Matter

jump

If I had known mentioning the word indie would bring up the 'ol "what is indie?" argument I would haven't done so. Sorry everyone!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Anti-Matter

@jump
Indie was a short name / slang of independent i think. Same like peoples called veggie from vegetable, Howdy from How are you, dunno from don't know, etc.

Oh, btw. Reggie was not a Regetable. 😆

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

jump

@Anti-Matter Yes, I know. It was a term co-opted from other mediums like music, comics and films where it was used to emphasis something being made from outside the established market leaders. The term was commonly used long before games used it.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Magician

@Anti-Matter

From around 2005 to 2012, the definition of an indie game are games that haven't been financed by a publisher. Usually games with development teams of fewer than ten people; games that are eventually picked up by publishers for wider distribution and applied with a promotional budget. Minecraft stands as the most popular indie game of all-time.

But recently the definition of "indie" has been extended to those games from major publishers that have a lower budget allocated to them. I believe any game with a development and promotional budget below 10m dollars qualifies as indie these.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

DannyBoi

Road 96 looks interesting to me.

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

jedgamesguy

Magician wrote:

Recently the definition of "indie" has been extended to those games from major publishers that have a lower budget allocated to them. I believe any game with a development and promotional budget below 10m dollars qualifies as indie these.

I still think that Indie games are games that are developed by a small group of independent developers. Games that are indie in origin but are published by those kinds of umbrella publishers, are still indies. Stardew Valley was originally published by Chucklefish, that's an indie. Shovel Knight is an indie. Hollow Knight is an indie, and No Man's Sky is an indie despite having backing from Sony itself. Larger companies doing a small-scale game... that game is not an indie.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

VoidofLight

I heard Konami actually outsourced the remake to some smaller devs.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Magician

TheJGG wrote:

Larger companies doing a small-scale game... that game is not an indie.

@TheJGG

And yet we have Konami-published GetsuFumaDen being a part of the Nintendo Indie World presentation. I don't disagree with your point of view. Matter of fact I share it. But our opinion is just not how the industry views things.

Edited on by Magician

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

jump

@Magician So who do I need to write a strongly worded letter to change the industry's descripton and use of the word "indie"?

Nicolai wrote:

Magician

@jump

Somehow I doubt you care enough to take such a drastic ineffectual action.

jump

@Magician If will don't make a stand now then they are going to go crazy with the term. Saints Row is smaller than GTA so that's an indie, COD is cheaper to make than DOOM so that's an indie. The world has gone mad I must say! ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Raylax

I'm blaming EA for releasing an "indie bundle" on steam back in 2012 and completely blowing the doors off whatever 'indie' had meant at any time prior

Raylax

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

Dezzy

DannyBoi wrote:

I'm currently in the process of finding out how to burn my GameCube and Wii discs to my laptop and play them on an emulator. Can it be done using the DVD drive on my laptop or do I need a specific device to burn GC and Wii discs?

You mean "rip" not "burn". Rip is disc->file. Burn is file->disc.
There are a handful of cd drives that can read Wii discs properly, but I don't think most will. The usual way to rip them is to use a homebrew Wii program that does it for you.
It's a lot easier to just download the iso files from the internet though (which obviously no-one can tell you where to find)

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

StuTwo

@jump If you try to ward them off the term "indie" they'll just migrate to their backup description "AAA indie".

Basically I think at this point "indie" now means "any game made by anyone that can be described using a combination of any of the following words in any combination: 'rouge-like', 'pixelated', 'souls-like', 'spiritual successor' or 'metroidvania'".

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Raylax

It used to mean "developed and published independent of a publishing company", but now it sorta more means "developed independently", since a lot of what we consider indies have publishers and there are plenty of indie-focused publishers (Annapurna, Devolver, Team17 etc). There's still, of course, plenty of grey area around that. How "independently developed" is independently developed enough - if its an EA or Ubi indie, how much is EA/Ubi pulling the strings on it? Does it make a difference if the dev team is owned by the publisher or a separate entity? There isn't really a defined line you can draw anywhere.

Does size matter? For example, is Supergiant an indie dev? They've definitely got indie 'spirit', and most would call them indies, but they're an LLC with 20+ employees and physical office space. Yacht Club? Similar deal. Not so long ago we'd have just called game dev companies of that scale... game dev companies.

Its one of those things that's not really possible to completely nail down and accurately define, but we know what we mean when we say it - even if there might be a big difference between Scott Cawthorn making FNAF basically by himself (or Toby Fox with Undertale), and a company like Supergiant making Hades or even EA publishing games under its "EA Originals" label. Its become abstract but the spirit's still there.

Raylax

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

link3710

@DannyBoi The easiest choice is a Wii. Failing that, a Wii U can handle the Wii discs, but not the GCN ones. As someone who's backed up their entire collection, I can attest it really isn't that hard.

link3710

jedgamesguy

@Magician If Komani's publishing the game then... it's not an indie then. That's what my logic would dictate at least. Indies should at least be self-published, or picked up by your 505Games, or your Team17s.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

jump

Let's try a tricky question. What about a smaller digital game that is published by a biggie company but then get's a physical release though Limited Run Games?

Nicolai wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic