Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 6,741 to 6,760 of 15,800

Grumblevolcano

@teo_o I really doubt Prime 4 sells anywhere near that much. Looking at past sales:

• Metroid (NES) - 2.73 million
  • Prime - 2 million
  • Metroid II - 1.72 million
  • Metroid Fusion - 1.6 million
  • Super Metroid - 1.42 million
  • Prime 3 - 1.41 million
  • Prime Hunters - 1.08 million
  • Prime 2 - less than 1 million
  • Prime Trilogy - less than 1 million
  • Zero Mission - less than 1 million
  • Samus Returns - less than 1 million
  • Other M - less than 1 million
  • Federation Force - less than 1 million
  • Prime Pinball - less than 1 million

Taking account of how Switch seems to boost franchise sale numbers, I'd guess around 1 - 1.5 million for Prime 4 and 2.5 - 3 million if a Switch 2D Metroid ends up existing (Samus Returns results being low were likely a result of how fast 3DS dropped out of the spotlight in 2017).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

BenAV

@Grumblevolcano Assuming it's not a complete trainwreck when it eventually releases, I'd actually expect Metroid Prime 4 to at least set a new sales record for the series. I also think a HD re-release of Metroid Prime Trilogy would also sell a lot better than it did on Wii.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

Euler

For just about every major series, the Switch entry sold better than any game in the series. And Metroid Prime 4 will be the first big Metroid game in over a decade, with all of the associated pomp and hype. I understand that a lot of series (F Zero, Star Fox) are more internet-popular than actually popular in real life, but there are a couple reasons to be optimistic about Prime 4 selling well enough for there to be a Prime 5 someday.

Edited on by Euler

Euler

jedgamesguy

I don't like believing all these Switch Pro rumours because it makes my two purchases of Switch models completely redundant. It might come off egoistical but I'm sure tons more people share this sentiment. And if Nintendo drops support for the original model then people'll go crazy. Like in the nineties when the SNES launched, parents accused Nintendo of being kleptomaniacs and money-grubbers, due to a lack of backward compatibility

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

BenAV

SortingHat wrote:

Directs are a thing of the past.

I feel like when everyone finally reaches this conclusion will be when they announce a Direct.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

BenAV

@theJGG I upgraded to an Animal Crossing Switch last year but despite that I'd be all for them announcing a new model sooner rather than later. I play my Switch for several hours every day so I feel like I've already gotten my money's worth from the extra battery life and that I'd likely soon get my money's worth again for any upgrades that a new model offers.

BenAV

jedgamesguy

@BenAV Fair point, by all means. I do that on a smaller scale; when buying video games. I like long video games, so I like getting a good hour:dollar ratio in. Persona 5 Royal, I paid £33 for, and I'm still discovering new things after beating the game. Good balance between longevity and fun is important.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

sixrings

@theJGG I will upgrade four instantly when they are released without complaint if they help 900p games get to 1080p and 30fps get to 60fps. I'll buy six if it's just a tv only version which is a bit cheaper. Why? Because I'm an idiot and Lan gaming on my switch has been the most fun I have had multiplayer since goldeneye gaming.

sixrings

MPSSislit

@teo_o
Okay, that's good. For some reason, I thought I came off as harsh, and I don't know why. Also, what was the heads-up I gave you? I looked at my previous posts but I couldn't find the heads-up you're talking about. 🤔
That's a good point, even if Nintendo does pull a "Nintendo" with some of the decisions that they make, you have to respect the fact that Nintendo doesn't milk their series dry like you said.
They definitely are. I mean, that's their main reason why they started going into mobile, because they want to expand and solidify their IP's to "users who [genernally] don't have consoles, or are new to gaming" (I think it was something like that, but I'm not sure). I also believe Nintendo will start pulling from their "lower-end" (or lower budget) IP's because they already most (if not all) of their main series on the Switch, and we're only halfway through the Switch's lifecycle, so they'll still need more games to make.
That's probably why they scraped Bandai's Metroid, but I also think it's because Nintendo realizes they need Metroid Prime 4 to be great and not just good, and maybe all they were getting from Bandai's Metroid was good but not great (or even Metroid good).
Unless they do an open world Metrovania for MP 4, then I don't what else they can do to try to do to have it get even close to BOTW success. Like you said, Metroidvania is kinda hard to get 5+ Million for a Metroidvania game. I also believe that MP 4 is in good hands @retrostudios. 🤔
Forza Horizon would be kind of hard to have F-Zero in it, but maybe Forza Horizon might add a futuristic F-Zero (Esque) mode to compensate for that. I feel like they could (and should) have done a crossover with Fast RMX, as that fits perfectly with F-Zero.
Personally, I believe that a new F-Zero game will sell more than Metroid Prime 4, as it's been so long since the last F-Zero game released, and the F-Zero fanbase tends to be quiet for the most part (besides for making memes when a new F-Zero game doesn't get announced in a Direct) so I believe we have a silent majority situation regarding the F-Zero fanbase. 🤔

Please give Ninjala a chance, guys. 🤔
As @Sunsy said,
Ninjala Gang FOR LIFE!
Also, if I don't respond to your post within a day (or two), don't worry, I'm not ignoring you. I'm going to be busy, though I will do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

Euler

theJGG wrote:

I don't like believing all these Switch Pro rumours because it makes my two purchases of Switch models completely redundant. It might come off egoistical but I'm sure tons more people share this sentiment. And if Nintendo drops support for the original model then people'll go crazy. Like in the nineties when the SNES launched, parents accused Nintendo of being kleptomaniacs and money-grubbers, due to a lack of backward compatibility

That's perfectly reasonable. The first Switch only came out less than four years ago, and the standard console life cycle is at least 5 years. Install base is massive, Switch exclusives still top the charts and the console itself continues to sell very well. Improvement in graphics is only going to be marginal moving forward (unlike with the NES -> SNES transition), and third-party AAA games don't sell that well on the Switch anyway. There's no good reason to split the market, and Nintendo should stay the course.

Euler

sixrings

@Euler a switch pro wouldn't split the market anymore than a ps4 pro or xbox one x did.... Essentially it will just add better resolution or frame rates to the more expensive model. If you are content with your purchase I don't see the point in complaining that others got a better product.Simlpy upgrade or live with the original switch performance. Now if games were exclusive to a switch pro that would be a totally different thing. But I am going to assume there would be absolutely no reason for at least Nintendo first party games to do that.

sixrings

link3710

For all those discussing an IPhone model, I do think that makes sense if Nintendo goes that direction. Release a new iteration every 4 or so years (instead of yearly, thank goodness), and any game can state what the oldest hardware it supports is. That way, we may have games still supporting OG Switch even in two generations if they aren't heavy to run. Plus, that way it'd probably be years before companies start to cut support for the base Switch for the majority of games coming out, while allowing them to target better performance on newer models or release games that aren't possible otherwise (most PS5/XBSX ports for starters, and some PS4/XB1 ports that have been ignored til now for technical reasons).

link3710

Bolt_Strike

@Grumblevolcano @BenAV Yeah, multiple series have had record breaking sales, so if all goes well with Prime 4, it should probably hit at least 3-5 million.

@Balta666 The PS5 and Xbox Series X don't have that any more than the Switch Pro would.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

TheFrenchiestFry

@Bolt_Strike I'm pretty sure over time the PS5/Series X will become vastly more attractive propositions for development due to them being next-gen systems and that being where developers can start to expand on their ideas even more than they could this gen. I personally don't buy the rumors at all that Switch Pro is going to be like a next-gen Switch or anything of that sort. It'll probably be a hardware refresh akin to the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X or any of Nintendo's handheld refreshes, but it's probably not going to bring Nintendo that much closer to running next-gen games natively.

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Euler

@sixrings If it has exclusive games, it would divide the market. If it doesn't have exclusive games, hard to see what the selling point would be (the people obsessed with power are solidly with PS5/XSX/PC).

Euler

sixrings

@Euler That isn't exactly true. There are plenty of people obsessed with power which would like to play first party Nintendo games with less of a compromise. If I could play BOTW in 1080p with a steady 30fps I would be happy. Or can I have Mario Odyssey, Luigis Mansion 3, Kirby, Zelda Links Awakening, Splatoon 2 run at 1080p 60fps?

If somehow DLSS can help make the games look even better on a 4k tv then its an added bonus.

I basically buy every Nintendo first party game but just opted out of Age of Calamity and Yoshi because of their performance.

Sure the switch pro might not be for everyone but surely there is an audience who would gladly pay to play their games as good as they can get them.

Edited on by sixrings

sixrings

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic