Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 12,021 to 12,040 of 15,939

Magician

Grumblevolcano wrote:

At most in October for Nintendo presentations we'll see a Bayonetta 3 Direct (Bayonetta 2 had a Direct) or Indie World (there was no Indie World in August).

@Grumblevolcano

Eh, I doubt Nintendo are going to roll out the red carpet for a series that doesn't sell amazingly well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bayonetta 3 sold fewer copies than Metroid Dread has.

Hate to say it (because I love the series dearly), but I don't think it'll crack the Switch top 40 best sellers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_S...

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,252 games (as of April 30th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

westman98

@Magician
I agree that it's very unlikely we'll get a Bayonetta 3 Direct, but Nintendo has done game-specific Directs for games that aren't big sellers before (i.e. both Xenoblade 2 and 3 received their own dedicated Directs even though both games have sold less than Metroid Dread).

Edited on by westman98

westman98

Grumblevolcano

@Magician @westman98 Bayonetta 2 got its own Direct in 2014. The games that got Directs in the 3DS/Wii U era have been mostly the same franchises that got Directs in the Switch era:

• XCX, XC2, XC3
  • Splatoon, Splatoon 2, Splatoon 3
  • Smash 3DS/Wii U, Smash Ultimate
  • Pokemon
  • Monster Hunter
  • Animal Crossing New Leaf, Animal Crossing New Horizons
  • NSMB2, Mario Maker 2

Hyrule Warriors is the only one which hasn't followed through with its own Direct in the Switch era though given the release timing of Age of Calamity, maybe the pandemic cancelled it. Of course there's some franchises which haven't had a comparison in the Switch era like MK8 is the still the current mainline Mario Kart and Pikmin 4 only just resurfaced. So looking forward I think there'll be a Bayonetta 3 Direct in early October and a Pikmin 4 Direct in 2023.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Euler

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Magician @westman98 Bayonetta 2 got its own Direct in 2014. The games that got Directs in the 3DS/Wii U era have been mostly the same franchises that got Directs in the Switch era:

• XCX, XC2, XC3
  • Splatoon, Splatoon 2, Splatoon 3
  • Smash 3DS/Wii U, Smash Ultimate
  • Pokemon
  • Monster Hunter
  • Animal Crossing New Leaf, Animal Crossing New Horizons
  • NSMB2, Mario Maker 2

Hyrule Warriors is the only one which hasn't followed through with its own Direct in the Switch era though given the release timing of Age of Calamity, maybe the pandemic cancelled it. Of course there's some franchises which haven't had a comparison in the Switch era like MK8 is the still the current mainline Mario Kart and Pikmin 4 only just resurfaced. So looking forward I think there'll be a Bayonetta 3 Direct in early October and a Pikmin 4 Direct in 2023.

All first-party (except Monster Hunter), and all E ticket games (and Xenoblade). Pretty clear pattern.

Euler

Fox-McCloud

I imagine we get a Direct for the movie trailer. Simply because I think Nintendo will be plugging all sorts to go with the movie.

Fox-McCloud

Grumblevolcano

@Giancarlothomaz Given the increased focus on the Wii era over the past few years, I could see the Mario movie tie-in being bringing back 3D All Stars with Galaxy 2 as DLC.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

westman98

@Grumblevolcano
There is no "increased focus" on the Wii era. Nintendo and their development partners have ran out of feasible Wii U games to port to Switch, so they are looking to older platforms such as Wii or GCN.

Nintendo also won't add DLC to a game they don't sell anymore.

westman98

MarioBrickLayer

@Grumblevolcano @westman98 Given Mario 64 is on NSO, if there is any truth to the GameCube to NSO rumours then I could see the just the Galaxy games getting stand alone releases, Galaxy 1 maybe digital only, maybe a physical for Galaxy 2.

MarioBrickLayer

Grumblevolcano

@westman98 I did say 3D All Stars being brought back, as in returning to being available to purchase. So kind of like how Brain Training was free on Wii U VC for a very limited time then it was removed from the eshop for a year and eventually came back as a purchasable game.

There is an increased focus for Wii specifically, some of it is story related (e.g. XC1 being remastered before XC3 released, there's lots of speculation around TotK having connections to Skyward Sword) but I think in general they're picking Wii because availability also becomes very limited after March 2023. Like Return to Dream Land is currently £17.99 on the Wii U eshop but physical copies of the Wii version are around £70.

Grumblevolcano

westman98

@MarioBrickLayer
We still haven't gotten Gameboy or GBA games on NSO - let's wait for those two platforms to be added before worrying about GCN on NSO (which may not even be technically feasible due to the file sizes alone).

westman98

Euler

GCN is less bang for the buck, so to speak. It might be internet popular, but Gamecube games never sold very well nor do they have the same legacy as those on retro consoles (including the Gameboy). At the same time emulation for the Gamecube is much more complicated. It's more likely that select titles like Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, Melee, Paper Mario, etc. are rehashed as part of a greatest hits line.

Euler

gcunit

I wouldn't be surprised if we still got a Metroid release this winter.

Metroid Dread was a relative success, so there's momentum behind the series to try to maintain, and there's a window of opportunity in December because it's so different to Pokémon.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Grumblevolcano

@MarioBrickLayer @westman98 I don't believe the GCN on NSO rumours, given how slowly they're trickling N64 games it seems a lot more likely that GB/GBC/GBA will be the end. Even then, there's enough N64 games that Nintendo could probably have GB/GBC/GBA be late 2024. Microsoft were willing to allow Banjo-Kazooie and Goldeneye 007 which means most of the rest of the Rare games will likely be present at some point:

• Donkey Kong 64
  • Diddy Kong Racing
  • Banjo-Tooie
  • Perfect Dark
  • Blast Corps
  • Killer Instict Gold
  • Jet Force Gemini

Probably not Conker given that would increase the age rating of the NSO app from 16+ to 18+. Then you've got more games like Smash, the Cruis'n games, Ogre Battle 64, Bomberman Hero, Harvest Moon 64, etc. Also something Nintendo hasn't done much of yet for N64 is the really obscure 3rd party games, so far on that front the only game we have is Winback.

Grumblevolcano

WiiWareWave

@Grumblevolcano I honestly think it'll continue cross generation with Switch's successor with the new consoles and games releasing on both consoles. I'm guessing we'll get GB/GBC/GBA/DS/3DS and GCN/Wii at some point in the future on the service.

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

WiiWareWave

Of course Sega CD/Saturn/Dreamcast/TG-16/Turbo CD/MSX/NEOGEO are also possible as third party consoles as well.

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

MarioBrickLayer

@Grumblevolcano You make a good point, it's pure speculation. But I think it makes some sense for a couple of reasons:-
1. Option for Nintendo to introduce a new pricing tier
2. Option to include another 3rd party console in that tier (Dreamcast?)
3. I think NSO will continue to develop independent of hardware (to a degree) - everything on the service I would expect to be there day one of a switch successor
4. There are Gamecube games Nintendo couldn't monetise in any other way...would enough people pay to justify a re-release of Luigi's Mansion 1 or Pikmin?

I'm not saying it's 100% coming or that I have any insider info or that I think it will come before Gameboy etc, I just think it would make sense.

MarioBrickLayer

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic