Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 11,381 to 11,400 of 15,819

kkslider5552000

Screen wrote:

What a Nintendo Direct is happening Late June, the rumours are true.

Just ignore the fact that they got the date wrong and the type of direct wrong.

I like how literally 10 seconds before reading this I see someone posted a tweet guess the correct date 2 days ago.

Anyway I am mostly indifferent. But I will say I'm not sure I would've done things this way because normal Directs get more attention than either the Xenoblade or 3rd party direct will on their own. If they had literally put (a presumably truncated version of) the Xenoblade Direct in between what will be at this one, otherwise the exact same announcements, but called it a regular Direct, more people would've watched it I presume.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Screen

@kkslider5552000

I agree, it’s definitely weird to split it up, especially since it’s super rare not to have a full direct in June.

However I suppose the benefit for more hardcore fans is that we can better temper our expectations. (No BoTW2, no SMO2, etc.) I do expect to see a lot of people wanting HKSS, Bayo 3, and Pokémon SV. Hopefully whatever the big announcement is lives up.

BDSP has online matchmaking!

NintendoByNature

Its finally time for capcom to unveil the remakes of the oracle games 🙃. Wishful thinking I guess. They're 3rd party, so it can happen! Don't burst my bubble.

NintendoByNature

BruceCM

& maybe SE will finally drop Star Ocean 2nd Evolution R.... I'm sure I'm not the only 1 who wants that Although Chrono Trigger &/ or Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions Remasters would be awesome, too

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Snatcher

Well we got are direct, but only 3rd party’s, and It said it’s not even going to be a stream right? Sigh, maybe there will be some cool 3rd party stuff, I doubt it but, we have to wait and see.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Bolt_Strike

Yeah, 99% of third party games are niche at best and shovelware at worst, this is practically tantamount to getting nothing. I'm very concerned about Nintendo's first party output. They're relying on so many niche IPs that have only sold 1-2 million that this year is probably not going to be great for them, and this late in the console's lifespan I don't see any of them breaking out of that sales tier. Pokemon Scarlet/Violet will do well, and Splatoon might do decent, but aside from that I don't think the majority of Switch owners are really interested in anything they've been pushing for the 2nd half of the year. IPs like Xenoblade, Fire Emblem (and a spinoff no less), Advance Wars (if we're even still getting that this year), Bayonetta, and Mario + Rabbids are NOT the kind of IPs you want anchoring your holiday lineup. Nintendo really needs to step up their lineup, especially in terms of broadly appealing, high selling games.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Snatcher

@Bolt_Strike Ikr? They really are, I guess for them they already announced there games that’s going to get them through 2020, after that there are a bunch of other games holding us off.

But I kinda wanted to know about games for next year, the one major direct we got showed us a lot, but now we are getting closer to the end of 2022, and we still don’t have anything major from Nintendo in terms of news.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

Buizel

@Bolt_Strike urm, what? We're already on track for the fullest exclusive lineup since 2017. What exactly are you expecting from the rest of the year? And what are Sony and Microsoft doing that's better?

And suggesting that 99% of what they're showing tomorrow is "niche" or "shovel ware" is needlessly pessimistic. The Switch has a great third party lineup, so why can't that continue?

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

RR529

My guesses:

• Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope (technically a 3rd party game)
  • Bayonetta 3 (similar boat to the above)
  • Persona game(s) (will be here if they show up at all)
  • MK8D Booster Course wave 2 (If, and this is an if, there's any sort of first party presence at all, it'd be this rather than a new game of some sorts)
  • Reminders of other announced games coming to Switch (like the Final Fantasy Crisis Core & Klonoa remasters).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Snatcher

@RR529 If they show off bayonetta, then it will be worth for me lol.

Anti-Matter

@Bolt_Strike
"99% of third party games are niche at best and shovelware at worst"

I don't think so as my games collection are mostly 3rd party kids games.

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

@Snatcher
So, the mini Direct will be Offline?
(Thinking about skipping the part I don't want to see)

Anti-Matter

Snatcher

@Anti-Matter I think so, which just sucks, the hype that is reacting to it with other people, is gone, it sucks, know it’s just as if I’m watching any random YouTube trailer out there.

Anti-Matter

@Snatcher
I think it will be great for me.
I just only skipping the video to find the kiddie games part, skipping any uniteresting games and if I found nothing or very few games I like, I got the verdict and I can continue my daily activities.

Anti-Matter

Snatcher

@Anti-Matter In all fairness you were always able to do that as long as you waited after the stream was over.

Bolt_Strike

@Buizel @Anti-Matter I just told you, I'm expecting more games that are broadly appealing, highly selling games. Look at this list and see where the first part IPs I mentioned as well as third parties in general stand in the Nintendo pecking order:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_S...

Quantity-wise, the year is full, but quality-wise (and I'm defining "quality" in terms of sales, not in terms of subjective enjoyment of a game) the lineup is... pretty lacking and a lot of the IPs that populate the upper echelon of sales are largely missing from this lineup. Where's BotW2? Where's Mario Odyssey 2? Where's Mario Kart DLC? Hell, even the likes of Metroid Prime or the rumored DK game have a shot of outselling pretty much anything in this lineup not named Pokemon or Splatoon. The sales data pretty much proves that for the vast majority of Switch owners there's little that they would be interested in for this year, only small pockets of franchises that sell around 1-2 million. And yes that is niche because it's not even in the Top 25 in sales and the Top 10 have all sold 10+ million. Any one of those Top 10 IPs could sell individually what the likes of those niche IPs will probably sell combined, which is a pretty damning statement on how unsatisfying these games are in the grand scheme of things. Like, it's great for those individual fanbases that they're getting the attention, but it's very bad for Nintendo as a whole.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Solaine

@Bolt_Strike But we are getting a new Pokemon, we already got Arceus Legends this year which sold 10+ million and we are getting Splatoon 3 (with Splatoon 2 also having sold more than 10 million). The new DLC maps have already been revealed just this year and at least one more wave will be released this year 100%. I know you said except Pokemon and Splatoon, but these are coming out this year and are gonna sell greatly. A Year where BotW 2 and Mario Odyssey 2 releases will most likely not exist and if it does, anyone can complain about other games again.
As far as i can see we have at least 3 great selling games this year. It's already far better than last year, just by looking at the potential sales numbers

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

HotGoomba

@Bolt_Strike Oh no, how dare Nintendo try to diversify their already huge lineup of games. Mario Strikers!? The kids won't understand that! Advance Wars? Won't appeal to anyone ever. Xenoblade Chronicles 3? Ignore the limited editions selling out, who's gonna buy it? Bayonetta 3? Ok you got me there. Kirby--do I even have to explain that? Nintendo Switch Sports? WHERE'S BASEBALL!? Mario and Rabbids? One franchise that's the face of gaming, and another that's still somewhat popular; too niche. And third-party games? Nah, most of them are ass, nevermind the fact that most of them either aren't for me or are ports of games I already played, if it's not targeted towards ME, it SUCKS. All I want Nintendo needs to survive are sequels to games on the Switch that are either almost certainly in production and are just taking their time because game development is too slow, or leakers are lying to me.

At least we might have Donkey Kong.

btw sorry to your notifications in advance, Bolt_Strike

Edited on by HotGoomba

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

westman98

@Bolt_Strike
Nintendo's lineup every year always consists of 2 or 3 mega-sellers plus a bunch of less successful titles thrown in-between.

westman98

Bolt_Strike

@HotGoomba I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those games existing or trying to grow them into higher sellers, but having those dominate the year and having little to sell in terms of larger, higher selling IPs just doesn't seem like a good strategy. And growing them is going to take time and again probably will not happen on a late gen sequel. Later gen sequels tend to not outsell the first game (for example, Mario Galaxy vs. Mario Galaxy 2, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl vs. Black/White, or XY vs. Sun/Moon), there's been a pattern with that (and there's some logical reasons why this trend might occur, such as the console being more popular due to being newer when the original came out and less demand for the sequel when the original already gave them a current gen experience for that IP). Don't expect Splatoon 3 to outsell Splatoon 2. Don't expect SV to outsell SwSh. Don't expect Xenoblade Chronicles 3 to outsell Xenoblade Chronicles 2. And don't expect Sparks of Hope to outsell Kingdom Battle. That's why I feel comfortable predicting the sales for these games, because their IPs have an established sales history, and many of them even have an established sales history on the Switch, that makes it easier to estimate where they're going to land.

Now would I love for some of these IPs to grow and become higher sellers for Nintendo? Sure, that would make it more palatable for some of these franchises that I don't like to get attention. And some of these IPs do seem to be enjoying growth that would warrant more attention. Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, and Metroid in particular have really enjoyed breakout success with their Switch games that could lead me to believe they could grow in further entries. I think Xenoblade also has a shot of getting there itself, but probably not until a future gen. But I don't see anything in this lineup that would be that kind of breakout game.

Bolt_Strike

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic