Forums

Topic: bloodstained: ritual of the night

Posts 461 to 480 of 647

NEStalgia

@NintendoByNature There's no turmoil, only in this thread and random Reddits. The game is very well received outside the usual spots (To be fair the Switch version really does appear to be pretty poorly optimized if they needed it to run 720 docked and strip most of the visual effects other platforms got. It's a UE4 2.5D sidescroller...that really shouldn't have been necessary.)

@EvilLucario I haven't played LoS on console yet (I have LoS2 on X1, but LoS1 is unavailable, digitally now), but Mirror of Fate was fun and felt "classic" - and Mercury Steam specifically went out of their way to merge classic platformer CVania with Igavania. Sure it was a kind of lame attempt but it worked, and it was possibly the best looking game on the entire 3DS this side of Luigi's Mansion 2, and possibly the best use of 3D. The game was too short, and too easy, but it was really fun with fun lore. IIRC it's not really tied into the LoS story very much at all but kind of stands alone. And had Alucard as playable

Since I never played Igavania on PS and beyond, Alucard etc means nothing to me. There's just Simon and Trevor, and "Dracula"

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia Fair enough. Again, they aren't bad, just I found them unremarkable and bland. Dark Souls and even Bloodborne (kinda) are much better Castlevania games than Lords of Shadow in general and scratched that Castlevania itch more.

As for the best-looking game on 3DS though, I'd give that to Resident Evil: Revelations or Kid Icarus: Uprising personally. Mirror of Fate does look excellent for the 3DS though, which kinda showed when it was ported to consoles surprisingly fairly well.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

PCkid

@NEStalgia

Mirror of fate is as bad as Lords of Shadow 1 and 2.
It's like asking what is Metal Gear Survive to Metal Gear fans.

PCkid

NintendoByNature

@NEStalgia ahhh I hear you. It's gotten rough In here but for good reason. Both rgt85 and spawnwave had some nice videos to check out where they show some issues with the switch version. I guess while I wait for the switch version to be up to speed i can always break out my copy of curse of the moon to scratch that itch. Last time i think it only took me 2 hours or so to complete so I can finish it in a sitting or 2. It was super fun

NintendoByNature

PCkid

@EvilLucario "Just like your worthless *****ing posts. Hahahahahahahahaha."

Brilliant, you are brilliant. Mum and Dad must be proud...

PCkid

NEStalgia

@PCkid I suspect that means I'll like Bloodstained then I haven't played LoS1 and 2 but thought MoF was a blast Simple, short, but fun regardless. Like a Kirby game. With blood. And emo.

Metal Gear Survive otoh.....oof.

NEStalgia

PCkid

@NEStalgia

Not like Bloodstained !

To make it short :

MOF and LOS are crap but with a certain visual quality.
Bloodstained is crap but with a certain gameplay quality.

PCkid

EvilLucario

@PCkid I'm not the one here with wrong information or erroneous comparisons to past games 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

@NEStalgia Did you play Bloodlines? It's on the Castlevania collection so no better time than the present. Has a lot of neat level design and bosses that goes toe-to-toe with the Classicvanias on Nintendo consoles. Still not as good as Rondo of Blood but then again, nothing is.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario I started in on it now that I have the collection. Never played it back in the day.

Though I admit Kid Dracula is stealing my attention at the moment. What a charming re-imagining of the original game in an Anti-Matter approved format....

NEStalgia

edhe

I ordered this game on my brother's behalf (it's due to arrive on Friday), but he's caught wind of the performance issues. I've just taken a peek at the kickstarter comments though, and someone is claiming that as they were performing the initial game update, the version shipped on the carts appeared to be ver 0.1.

They theorise the publishers dumped the alpha build onto the cartridge instead of the stable build, and that this could create problems, even after patching it.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

PCkid

@EvilLucario "I'm not the one here with wrong information or erroneous comparisons to past games"

Or maybe, you are the one here with not enough experience to understand things with hindsight and clairvoyance ?

PCkid

EvilLucario

@PCkid You're one to talk about hindsight when you talk about BS like NG+ or enemy variety, of which past games had those same things you brought up but somehow only put on Bloodstained.

You gonna respond or no? 👀

PCkid

@EvilLucario

Are you limited ? I'm serious dude.

WE TALK ABOUT GAMES MADE ON 20 YEARS OLD SYSTEMS COMPARE TO A GAME OF 2019 MADE FOR SYSTEMS 1000 TIMES MORE POWERFUL...

Don't you think that games evolved after 2 decades ?
Don't you think that developpers had no choice to duplicate some stuffs on basic devices ?
Why do you think there weren't any Breath of the Wild on a GBA or a DS and now we have it running on Switch ?

Edited on by PCkid

PCkid

PCkid

@Ralizah

No joke, Curse of the Moon is better than Ritual of the Night. I mean COTM succeed on what it's trying to do at least.

PCkid

Ralizah

PCkid wrote:

No joke, Curse of the Moon is better than Ritual of the Night.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit. CotM is the version of Castlevania III I always wanted, and I tend to prefer Classicvania design anyway.

Man, playing without the other characters is kinda hard, though. But I need to to unlock the third campaign option. :/

@NintendoByNature Well, then my stupid joke wasn't a complete waste, at least.

Playing depressing games alone in my cold, dark room <3

EvilLucario

@PCkid That's not what you argued at all lmao. Stop moving the goalposts from weird subjective complaints that don't add up to a 5/10 to "this game is worse than Aria/OoE because it has these exact same things Aria/OoE has and nebulous generic descriptions of XYZ" to whatever. Things like NG+ being cakewalks isn't even a bad thing because the original implementation of NG+ was in Chrono Trigger going on a powertrip while hunting down new endings. You don't have to like it, but it's not "unacceptable. Enemy diversity is by far stronger than previous games now that they don't have to keep reusing the same assets from Rondo of Blood. Ever noticed that some games like Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia kept reusing enemies like the Werewolf from Rondo of Blood? Bloodstained doesn't have that issue anywhere near that degree.

So what if this design is old? It's beloved for a damn good reason. Why do you think games like Shovel Knight (which is a melting pot of multiple NES games) and both Bloodstained games (one channeling Classicvania and the second a melting pot of all the Igavanias) get praised? It's not because they bring anything extremely new to the table, it's because they're just fun while channeling old school stuff that is tried and true good solid fundamentals while ignoring some pitfalls like pointing out vague directions if players get lost or something.

Make no mistake, Ritual of the Night has problems, like the really bad Switch version, a handful moments of questionable backtracking, and balancing regarding making the most out of crafting. But pretty much all of your listed problems don't exactly hold up under scrutiny.

@Ralizah Curse of the Moon is real good, but speaking as someone who enjoys both the classics and Igavanias in equal measure, I prefer Ritual of the Night, where it got me wondering if Order of Ecclesia was still my favorite Igavania/Castlevania game. On the other hand, Curse of the Moon still does not beat Rondo of Blood (my favorite Classicvania) for me. Curse of the Moon does make some very nice quality of life enhancements like easier party switching and purple candles (thank god), but I do prefer the level design and bosses of Rondo of Blood and even Castlevania III more, despite how aggravating the American version can be.

That said, Ultimate Zangetsu is a ton of fun. Hopefully in Ritual of the Night's upcoming DLCs, he plays somewhat similarly to his moveset in Curse of the Moon. Best case scenario is that he's a cross between that and Julius from Aria/Dawn of Sorrow. Probably won't be as fun as Albus from Order of Ecclesia who is my favorite secondary character in Castlevania, but we'll see.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic